Oprah Winfrey

tigsmom

I love that woman....

Here is the story that was on my homepage:

Oprah Winfrey Gives Cars to Audience

Associated Press/AP Online

CHICAGO - Oprah Winfrey celebrated the premiere of her 19th season by surprising each of her 276 audience members with a new car.

"We're calling this our wildest dream season, because this year on the Oprah show, no dream is too wild, no surprise too impossible to pull off," Winfrey said on the show that aired Monday.

Winfrey said the audience members were chosen because their friends or family had written about their need for a new car. One woman's young son said she drove a car that "looks like she got into a gunfight"; another couple had almost 400,000 miles on their two vehicles.

Making sure the audience was kept in suspense, Winfrey opened the show by calling 11 people onto the stage. She gave each of them a car - a Pontiac G6.

She then had gift boxes distributed to the rest of the audience and said one of the boxes contained keys to a 12th car. But when everyone opened the boxes, each had a set of keys.

"Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car! Everybody gets a car!" Winfrey yelled as she jumped up and down on the stage.

The audience screamed, cried and hugged each other - then followed Winfrey out to the parking lot of her Harpo Studios to see their Pontiacs, all decorated with giant red bows.

The cars, which retail for $28,000, were donated by Pontiac.

"A little idea grew into a big idea," Mary Henige of Pontiac told The Associated Press.

She added that Pontiac will pay for the taxes and the customizing of the cars.

In other segments on the show, taped Thursday, Winfrey surprised a 20-year-old girl who had spent years in foster care and homeless shelters with a four-year college scholarship, a makeover and $10,000 in clothes. And a family with eight foster children who were going to be kicked out of their house were given $130,000 to buy and repair the home.

"The Oprah Winfrey Show," which debuted in 1986, is syndicated to 212 domestic markets and 109 countries.

---

tigsmom

Add in the cost of the house, the 4 years college tuition, the makeover & clothes money. She is one of the few celebs that I admire.

pinkrose

Wow! That's wonderful! What lucky people. She's one celeb. that I admire as well.

*orders tickets to the Oprah show* :lookaroun

Atta83

Man shes gone over the top for this. Man I wish i was there. I wonder what other suprises she has in store, better keep watching shes got Tyra Banks on now.

tigsmom

Atta83 said:
Man shes gone over the top for this. Man I wish i was there. I wonder what other suprises she has in store, better keep watching shes got Tyra Banks on now.

I usually don't watch talk shows, but I love to watch her Christmas show.

She gives out the best stuff...things that she would like to get or that she gives to her friends. She is one very classy lady.

Atta83

tigsmom said:
I usually don't watch talk shows, but I love to watch her Christmas show.

She gives out the best stuff...things that she would like to get or that she gives to her friends. She is one very classy lady.

Actually, I would love to get my mom on this show during that time! She deseves it after what she has been through that i know of since i have been around. :king:

cherrynegra

The good thing is that the audience was made up of deserving people. I guess you had to be nominated by a friend or family member as to why you deserved to get a new car. So that was nice. I mean, I'm all for giving away new cars, but the fact that it went to people who really needed it made it doubly worthy. IMHO.

tigsmom

Atta83 said:
Actually, I would love to get my mom on this show during that time! She deseves it after what she has been through that i know of since i have been around. :king:

Write a letter! Wouldn't it be great to see her be picked! :cool:

pinkrose

cherrynegra said:
The good thing is that the audience was made up of deserving people. I guess you had to be nominated by a friend or family member as to why you deserved to get a new car. So that was nice. I mean, I'm all for giving away new cars, but the fact that it went to people who really needed it made it doubly worthy. IMHO.

I totally agree. :)

TravisMT81

Pontiac donated the cars as it says in the article. I love her show when she gives all kinds of goodies, she does that once a year.

cherrynegra

General Grizz said:
WDWMagic will move its December meet to Chicago and meet all the folks at HARPO instead. . . :lookaroun

LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS TO ALL DISNEY PARKS!! YOU ALL GET LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS!!! :sohappy:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
attisb said:
Those cars total a cost of around 8.5 million dollars. That is some donation!

Yeah... trying buying this kinda good publicity with that kinda money... aint gonna get much... this works out rather well for Oprah and GM... trust me :) :wave:

Not For Sale

$8,500,000. That's a lot of money gone to waste. Now I'm not the type of person that says stuff like this but that money could've gone to charity or a good cause. I think I'm gonna form an alliance. I'll get 5 people to attend the same show writing in letters about how much we need a new house and see what she does then.

Besides, who writes to Oprah complaining about their car? I think it was a set up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom