Opinion: Gut Mickey's Philharmagic, Put In Dark Ride

case88

Leave PhilharMagic!!! It is by far my family's favorite 3D show @ WDW. We have to hit it up multiple times a day while at MK - plus there is never a wait. I just wish they would add a Tangled segment. When there last week, I thought the 3D was the clearest I had seen in a while there - maybe I had a new pair of glasses???

Calvin Coolidge

The sudden introduction of any segment, much less one from a movie with such rich CGI style as Tangled, would be jarring. I think it needs a full re-do, which probably won't happen for a while, but, again, it could be a great way to integrate movies (especially Tangled!) into Fantasyland in a capacity beyond, say, a fancy restroom.

I still advocate a new version of Philhar with Mickey as the actual star

righttrack

To me this film is the best of the bunch. It's a nice celebration of Disney music/films and a great start to one's adventure in the MK. I think everyone who needs their spirits lifted should be taken directly to this attraction. All the frowny faced kids and parents, just stop and sit down for a few minutes and the world would be a better place.

bethymouse

I always ask my boys if they want to see PhilHarMagic, and they say no. We usually skip it after seeing it once.:( My boys are 8, and they're not too interested in all of the 3-D/4-D movies. They want rides.:eek: I guess these movies have their time and place, but something new would be nice. It's such a shame Snow White's Scary Adventures is gone.:( So, I wouldn't be in favor of "gutting" it. Maybe just update it or something!

Goofyernmost

I always ask my boys if they want to see PhilHarMagic, and they say no. We usually skip it after seeing it once.:( My boys are 8, and they're not too interested in all of the 3-D/4-D movies. They want rides.:eek: I guess these movies have their time and place, but something new would be nice. It's such a shame Snow White's Scary Adventures is gone.:( So, I wouldn't be in favor of "gutting" it. Maybe just update it or something!

And if the place were just for kids, I'd probably agree, but it is for all ages. I still like 3D movies and because I have been very vocal on adults thinking that attractions like the Raceway should be taken out, because they don't like it, I would like the thinking to be a bit broader ranged then just one age defined. If you left it up to kids all the attractions would involve some sort of hysterical body noises.

Walt Disney1955

It is a great attraction. One of the best shows on the park. Magic Kingdom needs to take its cue from Disneyland in order to figure out how to utilize their space the best. They could fit more dark rides in there if they wanted to, even with the expansion. Snow White was a nice ride and I am sad to see it go, but they should just put a dark ride in it's place, not in Philharmagic's spot

I'm a HUGE fan of Philharmagic, so I would definitely not be in favor of seeing it go. I've seen it upwards of 30 times and it never gets old for me. Does it need some dusting and maybe an upgrade to improve the 3D? Yeah, it does. I would say that the quality of the 3D has degraded over time. But this is still one of my favorite attractions in Fantasyland, so I would be heartbroken if they got rid of it. I'm a huge princess fan (as evident by my avatar) but this attraction is one of my favorites because it celebrates the classic Disney stories with classic Disney characters.

Philharmagic remains charming and because it has famous music cues, a snappy pace, and a montage of classic characters in it, it is one of the few 3-D film attractions that I still bother visiting. There are countless other places Disney could install a dark ride. That being said, 3-D by itself no longer impresses anyone since every other movie these days is presented in the format. Also, I hope Disney and other theme park operators are aware that everyone has technology capable of showing HD-quality video in the palm of their hands. They should all be moving away from attractions that rely too heavily on video in general. Practical is the new digital when it comes to impressing guests. It's one of the reasons new visitors to the resort that come off the Haunted Mansion (an attraction built in 1971) say "wow" and those that come off Midway Mania say, "that was cute."
That is a very interesting point. I never really thought about it that way before, but it's entirely true. I was much more impressed with the Urusla and Lumiere animatronics that are a part of the new FL than I was with TSM when it first opened.

Timon

1. PhilharMagic 2 - Updated, reimagined - yes!
2. Dump Princess M&G put in - Sleeping Beauty Adventure
SB%2520Dragon%2520battle%252001.jpg

or
2. Mouse Mystery (just made that up) starring Mickey, Donald & Goofy
MM%2520Mickey%2520Donald%2520Goofy%2520spotlight.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom