Opinion: Gut Mickey's Philharmagic, Put In Dark Ride

Goofyernmost

The attractions that oocupied that space over the years are:

-The Mickey Mouse Revue (1971-1980)
-Magic Journeys (1987-1993)
-Legend of the Lion King (1994-2002)
-Mickey's PhilharMagic (2003-Present)

If you listen to the "my god the place has fallen apart" crowd, the idea that there was nothing in that location for 7 years (1980 to 1987) would kind of make one wonder what else we are forgetting. This can't be though, surely they wouldn't have been doing that way back then when quality and service was the priority. Or could they?:eek:

GeorgiaPinesRJB

If you listen to the "my god the place has fallen apart" crowd, the idea that there was nothing in that location for 7 years (1980 to 1987) would kind of make one wonder what else we are forgetting. This can't be though, surely they wouldn't have been doing that way back then when quality and service was the priority. Or could they?:eek:

Seriously! I know I haven't been in six years but some people make the condition of the parks sound really, really bad. Like, the descriptions people give, it sounds like some sort of natural disaster has completely leveled the place...

Goofyernmost

Seriously! I know I haven't been in six years but some people make the condition of the parks sound really, really bad. Like, the descriptions people give, it sounds like some sort of natural disaster has completely leveled the place...

I was there in April of this year...it was heavy with new construction and refurbs, but what was not being treated was as good as it had ever been over the 30 years I have been visiting the place. The construction was very positive and generated a feeling of new life being added to my favorite place. I rode all the attractions and never experienced a breakdown or delay, everything went smooth as silk.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I was there in April of this year...it was heavy with new construction and refurbs, but what was not being treated was as good as it had ever been over the 30 years I have been visiting the place. The construction was very positive and generated a feeling of new life being added to my favorite place. I rode all the attractions and never experienced a breakdown or delay, everything went smooth as silk.

Noted. And what I expected. I've only been going for 25, but yeah. Thanks for that!

bubbles1812

I fully disagree with your post.

MK is not becoming "devoid of the mouse's influence" nor is it becoming "princessland".

And Storybook Circus (that's what it's called, so stop calling "circusland") is by no means a "mess". Plus, SBC is part of Fantasyland.
Circusland. Circusland. Circusland. Circusland. Circusland. Circusland. Circusland. ... Circusland. :cool::D

I'm not sure I'd say it's a "mess" but I could easily see it becoming so. It's definitely the most toddler oriented area of the park, even within Fantasyland. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'd say it could lead to more wear and tear faster than other areas.

I'd say Disney as a whole is become "princessland." Does that mean that the princesses are pervasive everywhere? No. But they certainly are highly more prevalent than they used to be. And within the MK, other than M&Gs, Philharmagic is the only place since the destruction of Toontown Fair where Mickey (or his house) can be seen in an attraction...and he isn't even the main character. So I think there is something to be said that there is less of the mouse's influence in the parks. I've never ever once understood why there is no attraction featuring Mickey/the classic characters (and no Barnstormer doesn't count).

Anywho, as I stated previous, I love that Mickey, and Donald are included in Philharmagic, and equally love that we get to see classic scenes and hear classic songs. I would be truly upset if this were to go. There is plenty of room for them to put a dark ride somewhere else without gutting the attraction.

Goofyernmost. Nice points but I will take it further. There are Magic Kingdom attractions that were closed for over a decade until just recent years and there is a huge restaurant in the Magic Kingdom that is going on almost 20 years closed. Right now. Current management. They do open these places up on a very temporary basis and certainly not as they once were to manipulate capacity numbers.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Goofyernmost. Nice points but I will take it further. There are Magic Kingdom attractions that were closed for over a decade until just recent years and there is a huge restaurant in the Magic Kingdom that is going on almost 20 years closed. Right now. Current management. They do open these places up on a very temporary basis and certainly not as they once were to manipulate capacity numbers.

Which attractions and restaurant are you talking about?

Goofyernmost

Which attractions and restaurant are you talking about?

I'm thinking it must be the one as you enter Tomorrowland. (Sorry, the name escapes me, Noodle something maybe?) That does bother me but mostly because Pinocchio Village Haus is packed like peas in a can. There is no room to walk, you're always bumping elbows with the person at the table next to you...it's a mad house and there is that big open, partially open air (covered) dining place, unused. That is one thing that doesn't make any sense to me.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I'm thinking it must be the one as you enter Tomorrowland. (Sorry, the name escapes me, Noodle something maybe?) That does bother me but mostly because Pinocchio Village Haus is packed like peas in a can. There is no room to walk, you're always bumping elbows with the person at the table next to you...it's a mad house and there is that big open, partially open air (covered) dining place, unused. That is one thing that doesn't make any sense to me.

I know the Tomorrowland restaurant you're talking about... Tomorrowland Terrace? Does that sound right? I know we always go to Tomorrowland by hanging a sharp right at the end of Main Street and walked around the restaurant to get to Tomorrowland, especially during parade time. It was open when I was there in 2006 (I think, don't quote me). I can't think of which attraction was shut down for years and recently brought back online though...

GeorgiaPinesRJB,
Until 2005 or so the opening day E-ticket- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea sat unoperated in Fantasyland for 11 years.

Also, for almost 20 years now the Adventureland Veranda has been closed. It is a huge restaurant that many people have walked by and have not even realized. I hold out hope for this one and wish it someday becomes the Magic Kingdoms Club 33. An Adventures Club incarnate with Uh-Oa from the Tiki Room becoming the new Adventureland ambassador.

But then I live in Fantasyland and not Adventureland.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

GeorgiaPinesRJB,
Until 2010, the opening day E-ticket- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea sat unoperated in Fantasyland for 16 years.

Also, for almost 20 years now the Adventureland Veranda is a huge restaurant that many have people walked by and have not even realized. I hold out hope for this one and wish it someday becomes the Magic Kingdoms Club 33. An Adventures Club incarnate with Uh-Oa from the Tiki Room becoming the new Adventureland ambassador.

But then I live in Fantasyland and not Adventureland.

Oh, right! I forgot about the Adventureland Veranda. As for 20K, wasn't the water drained out of that area pretty early on after they shut it down? I seem to remember at one point that it was just a big open space at one point? Maybe I am remembering wrong?

The water remained for just over a decade. I never knew the exact reason. I heard people on forums like this talk about the lagoon/weight issues vs the Magic Kingdom tunnels and "that" is why it sat for so long. I don't pretend to be an engineer. If somebody knows the backstory people are certainly interested.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Oh, right! I forgot about the Adventureland Veranda. As for 20K, wasn't the water drained out of that area pretty early on after they shut it down? I seem to remember at one point that it was just a big open space at one point? Maybe I am remembering wrong?

no, because I went like 2 years later and went up toward it...there was a fake fish lying on the bank right next to the water...eerie

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I had the same feeling of hope for renewal in April. Yet Space was down many hours each day, Splash kept crashing and so much inside the mountain was a disappointment. I can see the vision for the MK as they work through the neglect issues of the last decade. But.....

But....I didn't have that renewal hope in April for Future World nor DHS. AK to me is still in an identity crisis. AK reminds me of the birth of Universal years ago, so much potential, premature births and born before fully developed.

luv

I like Philharmagic, especially when we ride the the magic carpet through the streets. That scene works very well for me.

I vote to keep it.

I would like it very much if they'd re-theme SWSA and keep a ride there, though.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well what do you expect for Early 2003 based computer animation...Disney was still trying out CGI before their first film Chicken Little in 05..The first time Mickey appeared in CG was in 2003 for the Oscars..It was their first test. And I'm pretty sure it's the same model as well..
225526__mickeygarner_l.jpg

Calvin Coolidge

As much as I love Philhar, when I saw it in August all I could think about was how dated the animation looked. For what it's worth, I'd love to see an updated version, at least one with more advanced CGI.

In a more ambitious update, I'd swap out the "Be Our Guest" and "Part of Your World" segments (which are lovely, yes, but Fantasyland has plenty of B&tB and TLM these days) for some new songs. I think "I See the Light" from Tangled (lanterns!) would lend itself especially well to 3D. Or maybe something from Pocahontas or Mulan, which are well-liked movies that don't get as much attention in the parks.

And if you REALLY want to fix Philhar, I'd recommend actually making Mickey the star. There are rumblings about WDAS planning a Mickey-based animated feature and bringing back some of his mischievous side, and this could be a nice test run of that plan, AND ameliorate the MK Mickey drought that some of y'all have articulated.

AEfx

I think Philharmagic is very nice - a fun film, great music, and a nice cool place to rest during the hot days.

That said, I'd give it up in a heartbeat for another dark ride, though I would prefer if it were simply relocated elsewhere instead of demolished as I do enjoy it very much.

NADisney

I do enjoy the Philharmagic attraction , there is a thing called to much character overload. Fantasyland has attractions of Peter Pan, Mermaid,Be Our Guest .The area could had been transformed into a bigger meet and greet for the princess's,fantasyland friends,villans,and pixie hallow.The giftshop could had been a Disney Photopass shop -so u could look and purchased your pics with the fantasyland characters or area without going all the way to main street , laptop at the resort, or home to look at and purchase online with a shipping fee.

Snow white could had been easily transformed into another dark ride, another great people eater like Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Or a Villans attraction.and Phil could had been moved to DHS - build Mickey's Toontown and place it in there, or ship Voage of the Little Mermaid show to Disneyland Paris studios, and use that theater for MPM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom