Opinion: Gut Mickey's Philharmagic, Put In Dark Ride

AndyMagic

Philharmagic remains charming and because it has famous music cues, a snappy pace, and a montage of classic characters in it, it is one of the few 3-D film attractions that I still bother visiting. There are countless other places Disney could install a dark ride. That being said, 3-D by itself no longer impresses anyone since every other movie these days is presented in the format. Also, I hope Disney and other theme park operators are aware that everyone has technology capable of showing HD-quality video in the palm of their hands. They should all be moving away from attractions that rely too heavily on video in general. Practical is the new digital when it comes to impressing guests. It's one of the reasons new visitors to the resort that come off the Haunted Mansion (an attraction built in 1971) say "wow" and those that come off Midway Mania say, "that was cute."

CP_alum08

MK needs something with Mickey besides a meet and greet. They should just update the film. Without it there is a massive lack of two classic Disney characters at the park.
Agreed. For a park that is often refered to kids as where Mickey lives, he sure has a small presence in the park.

Goofyernmost

Does anyone know how old Philharmagic really is. I know it didn't get to WDW until 2005 so that's only 7 years ago, but didn't it get cloned from another park somewhere like Soarin and Lights, Action were?

Disneykidder

We love this show and would be very sad to see it go. I welcome the idea of sitting, relaxing in air conditioning and watching a very entertaining show. It has classic characters that everyone knows and loves. My vote is to keep it!!!!:)

AndyMagic

Does anyone know how old Philharmagic really is. I know it didn't get to WDW until 2005 so that's only 7 years ago, but didn't it get cloned from another park somewhere like Soarin and Lights, Action were?

It opened in Magic Kingdom in 2003. It was the first park to get the attraction. 2005 it opened with Hong Kong Disneyland and in 2011 it opened in Tokyo.

Goofyernmost

It opened in Magic Kingdom in 2003. It was the first park to get the attractions. 2005 it opened with Hong Kong Disneyland and in 2011 it opened in Tokyo.

I'm not saying your wrong..but it seems that I remember a lot of promotion about it being a transplant from another park to "celebrate" the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in 2005.

harveyt0206

I am 100% in favor of brainstorming ideas to improve MK, but since is one of my favorite MK experiences, i would be crushed if anything happened to it. Every song brings up a different emotion for me. I love the idea of another dark ride, but not at the expense of something that I think still works really well in that area. Keep Philharmagic and find space somewhere else for a new Fantasyland dark ride.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

AndyMagic beat me too it! Yeah, came out in 2003. I saw keep it, maybe update it, remaster it, add a few more characters in there for all I care (can easily see Pocahontas singing "Colors of the Wind" to Donald, maybe the "Wrecking the Camp" scene from Tarzan, Rapunzel and Flynn. BOOM!) but don't gut it... PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASE!

Magenta Panther

Gut...Mickey's...Philhar....?

NO!

It is the FIRST attraction I hit when I visit Fantasyland, and even with the expansion, that won't change. It is a show that is so good that technology is merely the icing on a very tasty cake. I LOVE it. And every audience I've seen it with loves it - the kids, the adults, EVERYONE. It's the flip side of Stitch, that's the best way I can put it. What it NEEDS is a major refurb - digital transfer, state-of-the-art 3D (a la Star Tours, which is amazing, crystal clear), and some plussing of the building's exterior and interior. It is the most Disney thing (aside from One Man's Dream) in all of WDW. To gut it would be like - well, almost like - removing Dumbo. Such an atrocity should never ever EVER happen!

CountryBearFan

FLE should take care of the thirst for rides when it opens later this year and I worry that the MK is already becoming devoid of the influence of the mouse and becoming more princessland than anything else so I vote for renovating Philharmagic it and keeping it. My personal opinion (although futile) would have been to forget that mess that is circusland and make FLE and Tomorrowland larger in it's place.

I fully disagree with your post.

MK is not becoming "devoid of the mouse's influence" nor is it becoming "princessland".

And Storybook Circus (that's what it's called, so stop calling "circusland") is by no means a "mess". Plus, SBC is part of Fantasyland.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

The attractions that oocupied that space over the years are:

-The Mickey Mouse Revue (1971-1980)
-Magic Journeys (1987-1993)
-Legend of the Lion King (1994-2002)
-Mickey's PhilharMagic (2003-Present)

Yup! That looks about right! I only remember Legend of the Lion King and Mickey's Philharmagic being there.

I agree that the decided animation technology only had a shelf-life of a few years before being date, but Philharmagic is the least of the Magic Kingdoms problems right now.

I would gladly take a revised Mickey Mouse Revue or seriously grand dark ride but I just don't have any faith in current theme park management to show any wisdom or do the right thing in any event.

I, in no way miss Magic Journeys or Legend of the Lion King more than I would miss Philharmagic. As much as the attraction couId be better we have to pick our battles. For me- this just isn't one of them.

Keep fighting for what you believe in.

Chris

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom