Operational updates Jan09

NewfieFan

So is SM getting its refurb or what? I'm confused... I thought it was pretty much a done deal!?! Has the whole thing been canceled or just the major overhaul (big refurb)? I've even been telling people who have trips planned for next year that SM will be closed (not that these people will be upset... they'll probably be happier knowing it will be open during their vacation)!

That's too bad... I know a lot people around here wanted it "fixed up". I rode it just a couple weeks ago and I must say it's a rough roller coaster (I don't know if the refurb would have fixed that or not)!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think WDW management ever seriously considered refurbing space mountain
Oh they did.... well, more like Glendale. As far back as 2005 there was a crew for Orlando looking at the enhancements made to the Anahiem version. They were there when the Mountain reopened. Since then there has been some great proposals for WDW, and some 3rd shift testing too in Orlando. It is management, Holmes included, who don`t want to close it for as long as is needed.

NewfieFan

Oh they did.... well, more like Glendale. As far back as 2005 there was a crew for Orlando looking at the enhancements made to the Anahiem version. They were there when the Mountain reopened. Since then there has been some great proposals for WDW, and some 3rd shift testing too in Orlando. It is management, Holmes included, who don`t want to close it for as long as is needed.

How long would it have needed to been closed?

RSoxNo1

Is our best hope for a lengthy refurb letting Space Mountain get to the level of disrepair it was in Disneyland? It's beginning to seem that way.

jt04

Is our best hope for a lengthy refurb letting Space Mountain get to the level of disrepair it was in Disneyland? It's beginning to seem that way.

It's not far from that point if you ask me. I rode it last year and it felt so rough that there is no way I would ride it again until it is fixed.

It amazes me that now that EE, Space and Soarin' are open and soon PW will be refurbed that they are worried about closing SM. Granted those rides are different but the average guest can find plenty of "thrill ride" options on property. They just need to fix Space Mountain, and if they provide plenty of compelling concept art people will understand. Guest Relations just has to realize that the vast majority of complaints they would get is from the usual malcontents and Uni employees trying to stop progress.

Disneyson 1

1. Disney's great at over-hyping refurbishments... just look at Sleeping Beauty or SSE or something. They treat things that are refurbished as all-new!

2. Don't we already know that they're going to close it for all of 2009?

Wait... what's PW?

jt04

1. Disney's great at over-hyping refurbishments... just look at Sleeping Beauty or SSE or something. They treat things that are refurbished as all-new!

2. Don't we already know that they're going to close it for all of 2009?

Wait... what's PW?

Primeval Whirl

bryPOD

wdw website has updated the operational refurbs for January 2009 :(
and include:

Dumbo won't be flying Jan 7/09;
No Hall of President Jan 1 - 31/09;
No Splash Mountain Jan 4 - 17/09; &
No Mickey's Philharmagic Jan 18 -31/09

yet, still nothing official :zipit: on space mountain

I literally just cursed up a storm when I read this. This is the second year in a row that Splash Mountain is closed during the Marathon Weekend. This is my absolute favorite ride, and slightly effects how much I enjoy going to WDW. Oh well...

olmec26

Is this the only reason, or is it budgetary concerns also?

My understanding is that it is the only reason...everything had been cleared and supposedly the track had been ordered, so I doubt it had anything to do with the budget.

Sounds like it's all Phil... :fork:

Philo

I literally just cursed up a storm when I read this. This is the second year in a row that Splash Mountain is closed during the Marathon Weekend. This is my absolute favorite ride, and slightly effects how much I enjoy going to WDW. Oh well...

I thought it was pretty common for SM to go down in Jan for refurb. I was pretty annoyed last year too but it makes sense to do it then as it's after the xmas crowds and during the cooler months when fewer people want to get wet.

E-Ride Night

I don't mean to run it in, but I will since I freaked out like you.....until I realized when I'm going.

January 17-24!

I'll be there reopening day for SM! YEAH BABY!

I did hear that Space was looking like it was gonna be closed for most of the month though. That would suck. :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom