Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

imagineer boy

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: The Disney marketing deparment needs reform now! Every time I see a commercial for it, all they ever show is families with little kids riding dumbo or the tea cups. Never do they show teens, thus Disney gets its misconception that its only for kids.

Sassagoula-Rvr

So the Harry Potter attractions open at Universal.. How does Disney steal their thunder..

are they secretly making rides that will open the same day? are e ticket rides going to be flown in from other parts of the country and set up in a week?

No..

You misunderstood me, I meant that around Potterland grand opening week/day Disney would come out with a big announcement and at least take some of the limelight that would have been showered on Universals Potterland opening. I am in no way saying Disney will do this, just saying that if I was in charge of WDI/Marketing, It would be a GREAT time to make an announcement.

disnyfan89

When it comes to comparing Disney to Universal I think it is nothing more than a foolish debate. You'll always have your Disney Fanboys who no matter what will always stand by Disney. You then have your Universal Fanboys who no matter what will stand up for Uni because it's the anti Disney. And then you have people who are clear headed and don't dislike this resort compared to that resort. They like both and see what each brings to the table and understands one can do this better than the other but lacks in that but makes up for it in their own unique way. Most of all they see that its great that both Resorts exist because it keeps the resorts fresh and new. After all without Uni we would never had DHS! Disney could still be a two park resort if it wasn't for Universal and Anhiser Busch!

When it comes to comparing the two resorts I think it's best for both companies to speak for themselves.

Universal had this to say about Disney on their website:http://www.universalorlando.com/disney_comparision.html

Walt Disney World however has no comment about Universal on their website.

Those two things speak volumes to me!

Hammer1310

You are starting an argument over something that doesn't need an explanation.

Couldn't agree more.

As for the OP, I understand it's normal business for WDW to experience lags in attendance but the claims that they must refurb, rebuild and spend hundreds of millions on new attractions or perish is just ridiculous. Sure, I would love to see another Everest or ToT ever year but it just isn't reasonable for them to make those sort of investments on a monthly time-table just to appease the minority of Disney geeks like me that visit message boards. The majority of their guests visit every few years, for less than a week, have kids and never get to finish every park. Those visitors don't know which park some rides are in, let alone which one is the newest (that's what the billboards are for). Disney knows that and isn't going to respond to Universal's plans with something big just to appease us, screamscape and jim hill.

...and by the way, yes they CAN get by on "just a name". The name Disney and the name Walt Disney World have had their reputations built with their with legendary rides, immersive theming and top notch castmembers. They can get by on that name because year after year they have been the top attendance draw in the world, because they are studied and copied worldwide.

In short, they can get by on a name (though they don't try) because they earned it.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Never used the express pass. Honestly, I think Express pass may as well be called "stand by" queue since most of the time the rides are less than a 10 minute wait to begin with. Fear Factor is a pretty long show, as is the Horror Make-Up Show (glad to see you went and saw that, I enjoy that show and it seems to be forgotten a lot), so that probably could have been 3 or 4 rides right there.
Fear Factor is around 25 min., Horror Make-Up about 15-20.

E.T. Adventure - 40 min.
The Simpsons Ride - 60 min. (it had hit 100 earlier in the day)
Men in Black Alien Attack - 45 min.
Jaws - 30 min.
Disaster Studios - 15 min.
Revenge of the Mummy - 40 min.
Twister - 20 min.
Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast - 35 min.
Shrek 4-D - 35 min.

Yep, plenty of time to fit in 3-4 more rides.

Is that why you were there?
:ROFLOL:

There is no way you are doing almost every single attraction in both parks in 2 and a half hours without an express pass. I'd even say it's near impossible unless you're sprinting to everything with an express pass.
icon_yes.gif

pjammer

Hi, my name is Jeff and I enjoy amusement/theme parks, theater, God, and asking people questions that require them to back up their statements.

Hi, I have lived in Orlando FL for most of my life. I have AP for Universal, Sea World, Bush Gardens, and Cypress Gardens (the original Central Florida theme park). I do work for WDW, so you can call me a bit biased. The name of this thread is "Only a year and a half away from Harry Potterland and nothing from Disney!" I stated facts on why I believe that Disney doesn't need to react and rather why I feel this is a reaction from Universal. We can compare park to park (DHS - Universal/DAK - IoA) till we are blue in the face. The fact of the matter to me is that WDW is a vacation destination. They are not trying to sell the other parks. Heck, they even changed there brand to "Disney Parks" to included DL, DLP, TDL and HKDL.

Will USF (Universal Studios Florida) attendance increase b/c of this? Yes. Will they put a dent in WDW attendance? No. Could this help WDW attendance? Yes, because more people might decide to make Central Florida their choice of vacation and even if you take 1-2 days of your vacation to go to USF, most will not come to Orlando without visiting WDW. Worst case scenario is it takes people out of WDW resorts, however those people probably wouldn't have stayed on property anyway and no matter what WDW announced. Will WDW announce something really major in the next few years? Probably. But if they do I don't think they will be doing totally because of USF because they have been consistently announcing new things since they pretty much opened while USF has not followed that model. :end rant:!!!!

kimmychad

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: The Disney marketing deparment needs reform now! Every time I see a commercial for it, all they ever show is families with little kids riding dumbo or the tea cups. Never do they show teens, thus Disney gets its misconception that its only for kids.

its funny you mention that, before i looked disney up online i didn't want to go. wanted to go to aruba instead, but i thought i was giving into the wife. this sept will be our 6th trip in 3 years.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just a thought, if a name is enough why does Disney spend millions on marketing and promotions, surely with the name Disney all they have to do is build it and they will come. No?

I have always enjoyed all the parks the Orlando area has to offer, and have been around this board long enough to know that Disney does generate an intense sense of brand loaylty and passion in certain sections of the US population. I think they have to realise that this loyalty is not Universal (pun intended) and in my experience on some UK based sites and with colleagues, many look on Disney as the kids park, somewhere you go with the 10 and unders, and the parks that are available on the Orlando ticket are more generally used. They also look at the price and say its no comparison. These attitudes may be alien as many of these people also dont visit a park everyday and consider a day at the mall entertainment, they will also be totally oblivious to any themeing and couldnt care less about how well an attraction fits in a land.

Ill continue to enjoy both parks, and to make posts questioning the experts on Universal who have never been through the gate. Especially the jet packed wearing visitors who seem to be able to achieve touring times beyond me despite my access to Express as an on site guest and my tendency to force march between attractions, but they could be talking Ertha.

Legacy

Hi, I have lived in Orlando FL for most of my life. I have AP for Universal, Sea World, Bush Gardens, and Cypress Gardens (the original Central Florida theme park). I do work for WDW, so you can call me a bit biased. The name of this thread is "Only a year and a half away from Harry Potterland and nothing from Disney!" I stated facts on why I believe that Disney doesn't need to react and rather why I feel this is a reaction from Universal. We can compare park to park (DHS - Universal/DAK - IoA) till we are blue in the face. The fact of the matter to me is that WDW is a vacation destination. They are not trying to sell the other parks. Heck, they even changed there brand to "Disney Parks" to included DL, DLP, TDL and HKDL.

Will USF (Universal Studios Florida) attendance increase b/c of this? Yes. Will they put a dent in WDW attendance? No. Could this help WDW attendance? Yes, because more people might decide to make Central Florida their choice of vacation and even if you take 1-2 days of your vacation to go to USF, most will not come to Orlando without visiting WDW. Worst case scenario is it takes people out of WDW resorts, however those people probably wouldn't have stayed on property anyway and no matter what WDW announced. Will WDW announce something really major in the next few years? Probably. But if they do I don't think they will be doing totally because of USF because they have been consistently announcing new things since they pretty much opened while USF has not followed that model. :end rant:!!!!
Oh? The last eight years has already been posted... so...

Park opened in 1990.

Wild Wild West Stunt Show - 1991
Back to the Future - 1991
A Day in the Park with Barney - 1995
Fievel's Playland - 91
Curious George Goes to the Park Play Area - 98
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster - 99
Beetlejuice Graveyard Review - 92
Twister: Ride it Out - 98
IoA Preview Center - 97
T2:3D - 97
Soundstage 54 - 97
Herc and Xena - 97
STARtoons - 92

So... in the first decade of the parks existence it has had three years without a new attraction announced: 93, 94 and 96. Looks to me like Universal has been consistently doing things to their parks. Your statement is simply wrong.

Now, I want you to notice something. I conceded your first paragraph, but only because you used those two bold words; "to me." Combined with your admitted bias (though just because you work their doesn't mean you love it) implies that that doesn't bear further discussion. It's opinion versus opinion and not worth getting hung up over. I don't think your right, but I also realize it's predominately a judgment call.

People seem to want me to stop "debating" in this thread. Stop making statements that are asking to be rebutted and I will.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I don't own any Disney stock.

. . . I hope they do nothing so the crowds will dwindle and the lines will be shorter.:lookaroun

WDWGoof07

I don't understand why we can't just let people have their own opinions without getting into a huge debate over them. Seriously.

Just because I think WDW is way better than Universal doesn't mean I think everyone has to agree with me. Sure, I have my reasons to tell you why I feel that way when someone disagrees just like others have their reasons to disagree with my opinions. But I don't want to get in a fierce argument that stoops to name-calling over it.

If you go back a few pages, you'll see in my lengthy post that I did try Universal on my last trip. There were highlights, but for the most part I thought Universal was a waste of time. But the point is that I did visit Universal, so, despite being a Disney fan, I have the experience to form a valid opinion.

I think it is stupid though to just say "OMG Universal sucks" when you haven't even been there, just like it's stupid for Universal fans to say "WDW is just a lame kiddies park" because it's not true.

But, if you're a Disney fan and have visited Universal recently, then you should be entitled to have an opinion without snarky comments from the peanut gallery. And the fact of the matter is I think Universal is inferior and would rather spend an extra day at WDW. I won't hate you for liking Universal better.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
, I have the experience to form a valid opinion.

You just cant seem to express it beyond the usual, its not Disney it sucks, mode. Which kind of makes a mockery of the rest of your post does it not?

Or have I misunderstood and you are advocating that people only post what their opinion is. :shrug:

Wouldnt a list of alternating, great/sucks posts be a tad boring, at least people who want to and are able to can express why they have formed an opinion, beyond the herd mentality.

Like you Im not overly concerned that Universal /Disney is not to everyone taste, however given the nature and function of this site, I reserve the right to offer an alternative point of view, and at times to post some things that may not be my personal opinion but are issues that have been raised elsewhere.

dcessna

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will come to Islands of Adventure in late 2009.

The only new attractions to fight off the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Land at Universal are going to be Toy Story Mania and American Idol Experience? :shrug:

Toy Story Mania is great, but not something that is going to stop people from traveling to Harry Potter Land. American Idol is a love/hate relationship for most of America, so that attraction isn't going to be enough either.

Is Disney assuming that there isn't a need to put up a fight against this and that it won't be as popular as we seem to think?

I mean, they haven't even announced anything regarding future plans, nor are they building anything attraction wise to combat it. What gives?!

Even a full rehab to a classic like Space Mountain isn't going to stop people from traveling off of Disney property to go see Harry Potter Land.
Who in their right mind cares about harry potter anyho!

Maerj

Who in their right mind cares about harry potter anyho!

Oh someone will care when there is a Harry Potter live show where magic wands are being pointed directly at children!!!! Will people think that its appropriate to aim magical weapons at children!?!?!!

Katherine

Oh someone will care when there is a Harry Potter live show where magic wands are being pointed directly at children!!!! Will people think that its appropriate to aim magical weapons at children!?!?!!

hahaha... for sure.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. it's very interesting. I'm not about to jump in because I have never been to universal so i can't really say it's pros and cons v. disney but I've found a lot of the arguing interesting.

also i find some of the arguments slightly contradictory regarding their usernames. interesting. let the bashing continue on both sides.

vegetathedog

And in less than two years, Universal will open WWoHP (that does include two new attractions, one of which could be considered an E-Ticket) at IoA and Rip, Ride, Rocket at Universal Studios, a roller coaster whose main lift hill will actually house a stage for concerts and riders will be able to choose the type of music they ride to and upload videos of their ride on YouTube immediately following their trip.

So... what is Disney doing?

The Simpsons Ride just opened up as well.

I am glad Universal and Sea World are expanding. I love Disney but I also like having a good time and experiencing as much as possible. If Universal/Sea World keep building attractions that peak my interests I will be there. I have no interest in Sea World but my next trip I will visit Aquatica. Next time I will be spending at least two days away from Disney.

WDWGoof07

You just cant seem to express it beyond the usual, its not Disney it sucks, mode. Which kind of makes a mockery of the rest of your post does it not?

Or have I misunderstood and you are advocating that people only post what their opinion is. :shrug:

Wouldnt a list of alternating, great/sucks posts be a tad boring, at least people who want to and are able to can express why they have formed an opinion, beyond the herd mentality.

Like you Im not overly concerned that Universal /Disney is not to everyone taste, however given the nature and function of this site, I reserve the right to offer an alternative point of view, and at times to post some things that may not be my personal opinion but are issues that have been raised elsewhere.
I never said "if it's not Disney it sucks", I don't think that way.

I respect your opinion, Nakasak.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I don't mind debating on topics like this. It's when we stoop to the all the mudslinging and flaming that I get annoyed. Why can't we just respect each other's opinions? You can have a healthy debate without insults. That's all I'm saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom