Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Kind of off topic, but does Universal have its own fan boards? Granted, it would be made up mostly of teenagers and school field trips, since that seems to be most of their clientele. I've also noticed that most of the UK guests visit Universal for a day, since they usually are in the Orlando area for a minimum of two weeks.

And it's not Disney's fault that they are more established, and therefore have more parks to put new attractions in. If anything, that's an attribute to how many repeated guests Disney gets that demand new attractions and sights to bring those guests back.

If there was a demand for a new Universal Park, they could build one. There is a massive empty lot right next to IoA (off of Turkey Lake Road) where a park could be built if NBC-Universal bought the land. But does Universal want to lose even more money?

Is that why you were there?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Kind of off topic, but does Universal have its own fan boards? Granted, it would be made up mostly of teenagers and school field trips, since that seems to be most of their clientele. I've also noticed that most of the UK guests visit Universal for a day, since they usually are in the Orlando area for a minimum of two weeks.

And it's not Disney's fault that they are more established, and therefore have more parks to put new attractions in. If anything, that's an attribute to how many repeated guests Disney gets that demand new attractions and sights to bring those guests back.

If there was a demand for a new Universal Park, they could build one. There is a massive empty lot right next to IoA (off of Turkey Lake Road) where a park could be built if NBC-Universal bought the land. But does Universal want to lose even more money?

IOACentral.com has many fans posting specifically for Universal.

The empty lot is being built upon actually, but not for another park. They had 2,000 more acres the purchased from Lockheed Martin but have since sold that land since the 9/11 downturn and lower numbers than expected at IOA. :(

sknydave

There is no way you are doing almost every single attraction in both parks in 2 and a half hours without an express pass. I'd even say it's near impossible unless you're sprinting to everything with an express pass.

Gambit

I am a big Disney AND Universal find and actually find reading the forums for both very interesting. It's exactly as you would expect. Here you find pointless Universal bashing and things like, "Universal will never be as good as Disney." On the Universal boards you find things like, "Disney just thinks it indestructible." The point is that there will never be peace between the two no matter how hard some may try. If you want Universal bashing keep reading this forum. If you want some Disney bashing go visit IOACentral.:animwink:

ps- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will most likely be something to behold...even for the die hard Disney fans.:drevil:

Enigma

Account Suspended
IMO WWoHP is in response to Disney. They have been plussing there parks for the past 8 years while Universal has been a snooze fest. Ex:

MK
06 - POTC update
06 - Mansion update
03 - Philharmagic
04 - Stitch
07 - MILF

EC
07 - SSE update
03 - Mission Space
05 - Soarin'
07 - Nemo ride
04 - Turtle Talk
07 - Grand Fiesta Tour

ST
05 - LMA!
08 - Midway Mania

AK
06 - Everest
06 - Nemo musical

Universal & IOA
03 - Jimmy Neutron
03 - Shrek
04 - Mummy
05 - Diaster
08 - Simpson
06 - Sky Suess Trolly

Seems WWoHP is in reaction to Disney to me:shrug:

Is this a joke??? People don't plan vacations over refurbishments that should be happening every few years anyway (POTC,HM,SSE,etc). Some of those other rides on your list like Mission Space (2003), Soarin (2005) and Everest (2006) have been open for several years now and you do Disney a big disservice by even mentioning the stitch attraction which is probably one of the dumbest attractions Disney has ever opened.

Bottom line is Harry Potter will move turnstyles whereas modest refurbishments of stale attractions will not. Disney needs to up the ante.

yankspy

I am a big Disney AND Universal find and actually find reading the forums for both very interesting. It's exactly as you would expect. Here you find pointless Universal bashing and things like, "Universal will never be as good as Disney." On the Universal boards you find things like, "Disney just thinks it indestructible." The point is that there will never be peace between the two no matter how hard some may try. If you want Universal bashing keep reading this forum. If you want some Disney bashing go visit IOACentral.:animwink:

ps- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will most likely be something to behold...even for the die hard Disney fans.:drevil:
I just went on that site and read a few posts. You are right.The Universal snobs are just as bad as the Disney snobs. They even have a different name for Disney fanboys.

DisneyYorkian74

People don't plan vacations over refurbishments

You're right.

People plan vacations to WDW just because it is WDW.

Disney could add nothing to WDW for the next 10 years and millions upon millions of tourist would still flock to WDW just for the simple fact that it is Walt Disney World.

MickeyJman06

Toy Story Mania is great, but not something that is going to stop people from traveling to Harry Potter Land.
first off last time i posted on a universal topic (my post was off-topic) i was basically panned
so now here it goes :gulp:
right now there isn't very much "Potter Population." i only heard once this summer about the 6th potter movie. that short story sums up that when HP opens, universal's attendence is gonna to not bost up high. (somewhere around 5-20%)

Legacy

Great points. You'd never see Disney build anything snow themed in Florida. :brick:
Um...
Kind of off topic, but does Universal have its own fan boards?

Yep

You're right.

Disney could add nothing to WDW for the next 10 years and millions upon millions of tourist would still flock to WDW just for the simple fact that it is Walt Disney World.
So a name is enough now?

mickeymagic92

something i love doing and have been doing for about a year is to go to disney for two weeks and then go on a seperate vacation to universal for 5 days which is plenty of time for the parks and also allows time to relax and look at the universal area, and for all who say universal is just a park i beg to differ, tho i might be hated for saying this but ithink universal has really stepped up there game and is trying their hardest to equal the theming of disney i love both disney and universal and this addition will make them that much closer to disney, but people love disney and it will not take any profits away from disney if that is what people are worried about

nuttyskadork

Never used the express pass. Honestly, I think Express pass may as well be called "stand by" queue since most of the time the rides are less than a 10 minute wait to begin with. Fear Factor is a pretty long show, as is the Horror Make-Up Show (glad to see you went and saw that, I enjoy that show and it seems to be forgotten a lot), so that probably could have been 3 or 4 rides right there.

The day I bought Express Pass I spent the most time waiting in line to buy the pass lol. That said I was going to the TNA tapings at 7 (parks closed at 9), and I ended up being picked for Fear Factor so that took out 3 hours of my day lol. Basically I rode Disaster (which everyone in line got in for anyways) and Jimmy Neutron. Also went to IOA and did Jurassic Park, Dudley Do Right and Popey's Barges. DDR was the only one with more than a 10 minute wait probably. So yeah it was basically a waste.

TakeMe2TheMagic

IMO, people will go check out the new HP thing, do I think it will keep them coming back for more.....I really don't think so. I think it will keeping HP fans coming back. I think IOA is taking a big risk by turning a entire "land" to HP ville rather than just having one or 2 attractions with the theme.

As far as WDW goes I really dont think they need to add anything to "compete" with HP land. Although for us Disney fans we probably all hoped and wished that they would add something new and big to WDW. To tell you the truth, I think new rides and attractions to WDW would be great but for now I would much rather see some classics rehabed like space mountain, star tours, figment, country bears and something done with WoL. For now I guess it's wishfull thinking. Because like someone else posted ppl dont take vacations for rehabed rides. They might consider coming if there are new attractions.

Mom2princesses

I could never understand why people have to say WDW is bettern than US/IOA or vice versa. I love both. My older daughter is getting older now she is 11 and she loves the thrill rides so she really enjoys going to Universal. My little one loved Barney and Shrek. We love to go to both while we are in Orlando. They are different experiences and I think it is great the we have them both to visit. My older daughter can't wait to go and see WWoHP. She is a very big Potter fan. Both my girls love WDW as well. So what is so bad about that? Mommy loves both as well.

I hope WWoHP is awesome. I look at it this way having both US/IOA and WDW means only one thing more fun stuff for us to do in Orlando. I hope both (as well as Sea World) continue to grow.

We did all three parks during our last trip (WDW, Sea World and US/IOA) it was great for us!

Enigma

Account Suspended
You're right.

This is a fallacy that is changing even as we speak.

hokielutz

So a name is enough now?

He didn't say that only a name is enough. WDW is more than just a name and honestly you should know that. It is a complete immersive experience based on quality, attention to detail, and superior customer service that has been going on for almost 40 years. I could go on and on to talk about what it means for children and adults. That is what the poster means when he said that Disney could not add anything else for 10 years, and still people would come.
You are starting an argument over something that doesn't need an explanation.

Legacy

He didn't say that only a name is enough. WDW is more than just a name and honestly you should know that. It is a complete immersive experience based on quality, attention to detail, and superior customer service that has been going on for almost 40 years. I could go on and on to talk about what it means for children and adults. That is what the poster means when he said that Disney could not add anything else for 10 years, and still people would come.
You are starting an argument over something that doesn't need an explanation.

Is it though? How many complaints do we read on this site about bad CMs, poor management decisions, poor upkeep of attractions and bad experiences that people have. "Immersive" is a discretionary term. A video game can be considered "immersive." A bath tub could be considered "immersive." For many people, Disney is a "kiddie-park" that isn't worth the time of day. If you look at it from THAT perspective, the name is the only thing carrying the place. The statement was that Disney could add nothing for 10 years and millions would come. I would like to see it happen. If Disney adds nothing, then all it has to go on is it's name. Their statement implied that, which bears answering.

Can Disney get away with just marketing and say, "Hey, we're Disney?" No, no, a thousand times no. Disney has to add stuff and say, "Hey, we're Disney! Look what's new with us!" My gosh... McDonalds can't go a year without adding something different to the menu. I don't know what makes people think Disney can survive without additions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom