Only a "Fool" Would Believe the 5th Park is Near...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I meant you'd save money doing Universal/Seaworld rather than Disney/Universal. I should have made that clearer.

Most people obviously won't do that because Disney is Disney, but it would be a definite option for people to fill out a full vacation doing theme parks in Orlando without stepping foot in Disney, once Universal expands.

And you probably wouldn't need to drive either as it will all be connected by various transport systems. Saving money on parking.

You do know Universal hotels charge for parking right? :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think that it has been said that the NBA Experience talks have fallen through, and so will no longer be coming.

From a few days ago....

As far as I know, NBA is still on, but troubled. No changes to HoB or AMC - both had updates. Might be changes at Bongos. Bus terminal has just opened in the center of property, along with Lime and Orange Garages, that should be it for busses and parking now.

Buried20KLeague

And there's folks on these very boards who had the foresight, and money to do so!

Too bad I wasn't one of them.

I have it on good authority that they'd be willing to sell you unused days for a whopping 2% less than buying from Disney direct! I'm no mathmatician, but I'd jump on that if I were you.

Progress.City

How about fixing the poop you have before worrying about a fifth gate!

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...disney-world-announce-a-fifth-theme-park.aspx

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. (and beaten to death)
Universal is doing two things: Spending billions on its current theme parks and buying land for its third and fourth theme parks.

Meanwhile, Universal's attendance figures go up each year; WDW's go down.

What is Disney doing? Waking up, slowly. Finally, after years of doing nothing, Disney is finally investing billions back into its current parks, some of them.

In a future not too far away, USO will have three or four theme parks - all with attendance figures reminiscent to those of WDW's glory age. WDW's attendance would have been abysmal had not Avatar and Star Wars saved it from complete disaster. In this scenario, forget a fifth gated park, EPCOT rarely stays open any longer.

How do we avoid such a dystopia? We avoid it by doing what Comcast-Universal are doing. Invest billions in all the theme parks, not just some, while preparing new gates for the future.

In the above-mentioned dystopia, USO is able to keep people on their property from venturing out to foreign Disney lands because they have everything in their three or four parks to keep everyone happy and monorails to keep them out of their cars.

mvieguy

Universal Studios Florida 5,530,000 9,585,000 73.3% ugh that is just terrible math

Gaining 4,000 more people is not 73.3%

Mike S

Universal is doing two things: Spending billions on its current theme parks and buying land for its third and fourth theme parks.

What is Disney doing? Waking up, slowly. Finally, after years of doing nothing, Disney is finally investing billions back into its current parks, some of them.

In a future not too far away, USO will have three or four theme parks - all with attendance figures reminiscent to those of WDW's glory age. WDW's attendance would have been abysmal had not Avatar and Star Wars saved it from complete disaster. In this scenario, forget a fifth gated park, EPCOT rarely stays open any longer.

How do we avoid such a dystopia? We avoid it by doing what Comcast-Universal are doing. Invest billions in all the theme parks, not just some, while preparing new gates for the future.

In the above-mentioned dystopia, USO is able to keep people on their property from venturing out to foreign Disney lands because they have everything in their three or four parks to keep everyone happy and monorails to keep them out of their cars.
If Universal spent the way Disney does sure. But the reality is that Universal probably just crossed the $1B mark with that land purchase and everything they've done in the parks over the past 6 years. Including Volcano Bay I guess getting close to $2B but I haven't seen any rumored cost for that yet. Meanwhile Disney builds only Avatar for $1B and quadruple that on MM+ :rolleyes:

Progress.City

If Universal spent the way Disney does sure. But the reality is that Universal probably just crossed the $1B mark with that land purchase and everything they've done in the parks over the past 6 years. Including Volcano Bay I guess getting close to $2B but I haven't seen any rumored cost for that yet. Meanwhile Disney builds only Avatar for $1B and quadruple that on MM+ :rolleyes:
They are spending $2 billion a year since last year. This is up from $1.something billion a year since Comcast took over.

Also, don't forget what they already spent to buy the rest of their equity in USO and other strategic investments.

Nickels5

One would hope that Universal's third park could force Disney's hand to continue investing in quality products for their parks but I fear we would just get more things of the Frostrom/TSL variety rather than Avatar/SWL. That third park could very well be the catalyst that finally brings Uni above the WDW parks that aren't MK.
Lets wait for them to build the park, which will probably at the very least be 5 years away, before we start handing them the crown. Universal will never top Disney, they aren't in the same league.

Nickels5

WDW's attendance did not go down it was actually up the last year. I love all the lies that the doom and gloom crowd love to spread on this board.

Mike S

They are spending $2 billion a year since last year. This is up from $1.something billion a year since Comcast took over.

Also, don't forget what they already spent to buy the rest of their equity in USO and other strategic investments.
That's all their parks, not just Orlando.
Lets wait for them to build the park, which will probably at the very least be 5 years away, before we start handing them the crown. Universal will never top Disney, they aren't in the same league.
The past few years they've been outdoing Disney at their own game and that continues this year. Enjoy your reskinned 26 year old boat ride, I'll enjoy Kong. Next year is when I expect great things from Disney (FINALLY!!!) that could top Universal's new offerings for 2017.
WDW's attendance did not go down it was actually up the last year. I love all the lies that the doom and gloom crowd love to spread on this board.
At the most recent investors meeting Iger himself said WDW attendance was down. The 2015 numbers wouldn't show that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At the most recent investors meeting Iger himself said WDW attendance was down. The 2015 numbers wouldn't show that.
On the earnings call they did say attendance at WDW was down when comparing Q2 2016 to Q2 2015. There's still 9 more months of 2016 attendance where they could make up the shortfall so it's not a lock that the 2016 full year numbers will show a decrease.

Nickels5

That's all their parks, not just Orlando.

The past few years they've been outdoing Disney at their own game and that continues this year. Enjoy your reskinned 26 year old boat ride, I'll enjoy Kong. Next year is when I expect great things from Disney (FINALLY!!!) that could top Universal's new offerings for 2017.

Keep hyping a screen based ride, with one AA. If Disney was pumping out all screen rides like universal they would be getting killed. Just like if Hulk was a Disney ride it would be slammed because its an exposed coaster. People have different expectations for Disney then then do with anyone else. If Disney and Universal were to built the exact same attraction Universal's on this board would be panned as the great new ride well Disney's would be getting slammed. Universal set their bar so low everything has been an improvement over what they had.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just this last conference call, if you've been paying any attention. Revenue is up, thanks to DLR, but attendance is down at WDW.
It's just one quarter. While Universal's attendance was going up each of the past few years Disney's was going up as well not down until this quarter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Keep hyping a screen based ride, with one AA. If Disney was pumping out all screen rides like universal they would be getting killed. Just like if Hulk was a Disney ride it would be slammed because its an exposed coaster. People have different expectations for Disney then then do with anyone else. If Disney and Universal were to built the exact same attraction Universal's on this board would be panned as the great new ride well Disney's would be getting slammed. Universal set their bar so low everything has been an improvement over what they had.
Just stop. This is going nowhere good.

Mike S

Screen based Pirates ride in Shanghai getting rave reviews (including from me) with only 4 AAs just based on video. There's also more than just Kong in the ride according to someone who has riden it and photographic evidence of another in the queue.
fpL55GC.jpg
King%20Kong%20Native.jpg

I'll end it here. I've made my point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom