One Little Spark Competition (Sponsored by Stealing Things)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Team Ghost Proudly Presents...
Disneyland Toronto Logo.png

Disneyland Toronto

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
With the projects for Scene 9 completed and posted. It is time to head into the grand finale!

oinBwLY.png

--The Set Up--

We have now come to the final Act. The final Scene. The final six competitors.

This scene will be a project that will combine much of what you have learned thus far.

Like Act 4, it will bring together elements from the past.

Like Act 3, time travel will be involved.

Like Act 2, there will be requirements of what you must include in your projects.

Like Act 1, you will be given a lot of freedom to make this project your own.

xEnLDaT.png

Shanghai Disneyland, in many ways, is perhaps the most ambitious and exciting Disney Park yet. It has attractions that have become instant high marks for the company like Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure and Lightcycle Power Run.

Yet, right in the center of the park is one attraction that has been meant with a resounding chorus of "meh"s from Disney fans and general audiences alike.

1200px-Voyage_to_the_Crystal_Grotto_%2829510883852%29.jpg

Voyage to the Crystal Grotto is regarded as thoroughly ok by many. It isn't bad, but Disney can do better. Especially considering this attraction takes up a huge chunk of Fantasyland (It's footprint and the trees around it is almost the same size as all of Treasure Coast including the famous pirate attraction) and that it is one of the only rides in the world to travel through a Disney Castle (Possibly only).

Imagineers as creative and talented as you guys can surely make better use of this space.

--The Finalists--

@AceAstro
@Disneylover152
@Evilgidgit
@PerGronStudio

@TheOriginalTiki

These five will be joined by one more player.
A member of Team Ghost that was voted on by their teammates to return to the game.
The sixth finalist is...

@D Hindley

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, this is your final challenge of the game

You must propose a better use of the space taken up by Voyage to the Crystal Grotto to open with the park in 2016.
  1. You have the freedom to decide how you would like to use that space as well as if you'd like to change anything else from opening day Fantasyland at Shanghai. Do you want one huge E-ticket? Do you a new land unrelated to Fantasyland? Do you want to create a new part of Fantasyland full of smaller attractions? How you use the space is up to you.​
  2. You must include at least one piece of original art. Hand drawn. Computer done. Photoshopping things together. A simple logo. A video. An original song. An edit of existing songs. Whatever you would like. Just some form of art that you make.​
  3. Whatever your project is, it must be a part of Shanghai Disneyland's opening day lineup on June 16, 2016. So, be sure not to use any IP from after that date. Though with that being a very recent year, that shouldn't restrict you too much.​

This Scene is due Monday, 11/19 at
11:59 PM WDW Time (8:59 Disneyland Time)

You have 6 days to complete this project.

--One for All: Individual Based Project--

This Scene will be a One for All: Individual Based Project. There will be this one prompt that all players will have to submit their own individual projects for. A Team brainstorming thread will still be sent out for this round and players are encouraged to help each other and brainstorm and talk about the project with their fellow finalists. Or use that space to troll each other. Up to you!

Remember!

You have all done absolutely amazingly! There will only be one winner though which is why this is an individual round. The season so far may be a small consideration, yet the focus on judging is 90 percent based on this project.​

GvGQH6V.gif

Alright, teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Ghost
ghost-dog_o_1659585.jpg

So that's it huh, we're some kind of 'Ghost' Team. I must say this team was really motivated to end on a high ground note and finish off this competition in style regardless of the impending finale. That type of dedication and passion is what keeps this place going, and what makes competitions like this so special. So a proverbial tip of the hat to all of you.

Getting into the project - I like me some Wix websites, however I could tell that this was probably one of the first times you all were using Wix. That's okay! The more you use it the better you'll get. Nobody starts out perfect, I would say two things for it 1) mobile viewing is always funky, unless you edit the mobile version which can be time-consuming, so if you don't edit it I'd recommend just putting an amendment that says *view on desktop or something at the bottom of the post. 2) is the bottom of the page should just be link arrows, imo, not the entire surfing bar again that you have at the top of the page - it makes it easier for the reader if they don't want to skip around and just go through the pages one by one, to be able to click on the arrow and link to the next page. If they want to skip around, they can do that up top.

Those are minor nitpicks however and stuff that you learn as you go.

Disneyland Toronto I remember from the early rounds being a bit more than one could chew. Putting lakes in a building iirc, stuff like that - an ingenious concept if able to be pulled off correctly, but I had my doubts. While I still do I appreciate the extra length taken in the intro for specific details about size/scope. AT&T stadium is gigantic so something larger than it should be able to fit a theme park in theory.

With the early reception to the Pahkope Ski Resort under construction, Canada (Eastern Canada specifically) seemed primed for a theme park.

I see that subtle world building. ;)

Main Street By The Sea - found your background music

I like it, classy, elegant, but also unique at the same time. Most things blend very well together, with the exception of the random Steven Universe pic which I'm not sure what it is referring to.

Fantasyland in the Sky is extremely inventive! Holy cow - I really like the sound of it - well thought out, while yes a bit pie in the sky, it is very creative so it balances out for me

Adventureland is solid - general vibes still exist, though I do think the underground theme gives it a fresh take.

Tomorrowland among the stars was my favorite though, ya hooked me with line one
At Space Inc, you can take to the stars on the signature E-Ticket of the land: Into Space. This attraction reimagines Space Mountains as a vertical launch coaster.
Yes, please

The hotels and future expansion (along with a snowcapped frontierland, nice touch) go a long way to rounding out the proposal.

In the end, you took a project I was iffy on in Act I and 'plussed' it for the finale - turning it into something truly special - and for that you deserve high praise! Great job Team Ghost.

For Team Rainbow -- I'll get to yours tomorrow if that's alright - I still have a lot to do tonight and seeing as you're still in the game I figured you wouldn't mind. Thank you!

spacemt354

Chili's
Team Rainbow
I think this could benefit from a *last time on Disney's Digital Kingdom* type wrap-up to begin the project. Digital Kingdom was a very niche project and honestly I forgot what the purpose of it was and where it was located. To just begin the project, it assumes the reader already read the Digital Kingdom, and seeing as that was almost 2 months ago, I recap could have helped introduce the project.

Overall, the individual components of this project, in my view, outweigh the total package. Meaning on their own I like certain areas, like the Pokemon and Sci-Fi land, but they all don't feel organic within the presentation. And from observing your PM I know it was because y'all divided up by land and just worked solo basically in a team based round. I know this round for all of you was basically practice for the finale, because you were already in it, but at the same time some better groupwork could have made this project feel more synergistic in my mind. I shouldn't be able to distinguish who did what component of a project in a good team effort, but there were clear diction stop/start points in the project where I could see one person's contribution to the next.

On the positive side, going back to some of the lands that I liked, the Pokemon and Sci-Fi city had some really nice concept art that I always appreciate, and seemed to be really fleshed out within the confines of the park - not being a huge video game fan, I would still check these places out which is the sign of a solid land if you're getting the attention of non-avid fans of the properties.

In the end - congrats to everyone for getting into the finale and good luck!

mickeyfan5534

Team Ghost
I love this idea. An indoor castle park is incredibly cool to me.

Main Street by the Sea
What a great idea. A seaside Main Street just sounds perfect. That said, there's some good and bad here. I'm not sure about putting an AA Walt in any Disney park, it just feels wrong to me. It's why I think Partners and Storytellers (outside of DisneySea and Shanghai) are the perfect tributes. 20,000 Leagues doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either when you have an Adventureland that has the Jules Verne aesthetics. I am personally a huge fan of the Mickey Mouse Revue though so I'm 100% here for that inclusion. Dining and shopping all look good. I'm personally a huge fan of Walt's at Disneyland Paris (to the point where I can easily argue that it was one of my favorite meals the entire month I spent there) so I'm glad to see that included.
Things I really needed here:
Run throughs of the Electrical Parade and World of Color. You can't dangle a parade and spectacular in front of me and then not give me anything other than that!

Adventureland Under the Earth
I love it when my first reaction to something is an excited "OH WHAT'S THIS?" which I had twice. This was one of them. Indiana Jones is something I like here and a Jungle Cruise with dinosaurs! I love it. I. Love. It. and that log ride? That backstory? Be still my beating heart! Dining and shopping, again all good.

Moonlight Castle
Not only is it an amazing Castle, it thematically ties the park together in an original way. This was my other "OH WHAT'S THIS?" moment. It's perfect, what else can I say?

Fantasyland in the Sky
I see you with your Fantasy in the Sky reference. I love this though. The aesthetic is amazing and new and it's such a good twist on the normal Fantasyland. Soarin' Over Fantasy is a cool twist on Soarin'. Small World bringing back the Tower of the Four Winds is so good and it fits the clockpunk remarkably well. Peter Pan, Dumbo, and the Carousel all great and all classics. I love that Tangled flat and how you did it and Mrs. Potts being your tea cups is a good updating of a classic. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie of all time which is no secret so a dark ride is something I love. Honestly, this is overall my favorite land of the project.

Tomorrowland Among the Stars
It's Tomorrowland. It's great. I don't really have much to say about it.

Overall my preferred project of the challenge.

mickeyfan5534

Team Rainbow
Echoing space, I needed a recap. It felt like half the park was missing in the presentation. I also felt like this was in no way a Castle Park and that it was more of a third/fourth/fifth gate. I just have a lot of issues with this and I'm kind of confused over why this idea was chosen over a more traditional style in an innovative format like Ghost. Now where it stands out? Pokémon Country. That is easily the best land. I don't really have a ton to say other than that. I just have trouble with equating this to a normal Castle Park in my head and I can't really see where it would fit.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Alright! Just over 24 hours until the due date!

Since this is the final scene, I will take 12 hours to write up reviews and give guest judges a chance to write reviews and let me know who they think should win. Then at noon on Tuesday I will reveal the winner of the One Little Spark Competition!​

This Scene is due in 24 hours on Monday, 11/19 at
11:59 PM WDW Time (8:59 Disneyland Time)

The Results will be Revealed Tuesday, 11/20 at
12 Noon WDW Time (9 AM Disneyland Time)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
If anyone would like to give some feedback to the finalists or let me know who they think should win, you are more than welcome to! The more the merrier!

Just remember: Constructive Criticism only! This competition as well as the forum in general is all about positivity! Building each other up and helping each other grow!

Disney Dad 3000

If anyone would like to give some feedback to the finalists or let me know who they think should win, you are more than welcome to! The more the merrier!

Just remember: Constructive Criticism only! This competition as well as the forum in general is all about positivity! Building each other up and helping each other grow!

Happy to help with reviews if you need it

NateD1226

Happy to help with reviews if you need it
Same here!

Evilgidgit

I humbly present my final project for One Little Spark!

Fantasia: River of Symphonies
73f7b8-20141201-fantasia.jpg

Weaving magic and music through the paths, turrets, and trees of Fantasyland, in Shanghai Disneyland, is a brand new inspiring attraction. Fantasia: River of Symphony transmutes the fun of a dark ride and the excitement of river rapids together, celebrating Walt Disney’s often contested magnum opus, Fantasia, the 1940 film that brought classical music to the masses through the magic of animation. Now, in the heart of Fantasyland, this new ride will offer the same sense of wonder, bring magic and music together, but also a thrill, as guests get soaked and soothed by some of the greatest pieces of music in the world

First off, the attraction uses the same ride layout as Voyage of the Crystal Grotto, but the ride is now within a show building, disguised as the extensive, golden-brown bricked walls of Yen Sid’s castle. The layout still goes under the Enchanted Storybook Castle, and guests may briefly glimpse the boats as they go by, from a small viewing point to the right-hand side of the entrance.

Speaking of the entrance, the ride’s Bavarian-style house is reimagined as a large, somewhat crooked tower and medieval fort, complete with a portcullis. The entranceway to Yen Sid’s castle. The architecture and stonework has many musical instruments hidden within. Glimmering lights come from windows up the tower, showing shadows of Yen Sid and Mickey Mouse himself passing by, and occasionally, an animated broomstick hops by. Within the queue line, guests travel through a small room filled with various musical instruments on display, as a nod to Fantasia’s orchestra, with a framed portrait of showing the master of ceremonies, Deems Taylor.

In the next section of the queue line, just before going to the loading area, guests will walk through Yen Sid’s workshop. A mix of orderly and cluttered, the work of a sorcerer of great power and respect, but not the cleanest of them. That is what his servant Mickey is for.

Onwards to the queue line, which resembles an underground waterway, where up to twelve guests board the circular tub boats, shaped to resemble giant wooden buckets. “Toccata and Fugue in B Minor” plays as guests board their buckets and sail off on a bumpy ride through the castle.

Through a dark tunnel we go, into another part of Yen Sid’s workshop. In his blue robes and star-patterned sorcerer’s hat, Yen Sid conjures magic and illusions from a spellbook on a podium. Through a door behind him, Mickey watches in excitement. Yen Sid brings to life a beautiful orange-and-yellow-winged butterfly, made through projections and a mist illusion. We pass by, ignoring a pair of wooden doors to the left, which lead to the boats’ docking station once the park closes.

latest

As we go around a corner, we hear “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” score begins. We see Mickey putting on the hat, and brings a broomstick to life, combining animatronics and a little Pepper’s Ghost. We follow their silhouettes around a right-hand bend, but things soon so wrong, and the water choppier and more rough, as the broomstick starts chucking endless water into the river. Our boats begin to rock back and forth, starting to spin as the current speeds up. We pass by a projection where Mickey chops up the broomstick with an axe, only for the individual pieces to become many brooms and they set off to collect more water.

pic4.jpg

Around the next wall, is a circular scene (where the Beauty and the Beast piece is from VoCG). Mickey watches in despair as now five broomsticks are dumping water into a vat, the water spilling endlessly out of their buckets. As we leave this section, we go into a slight curve, revealing a line of broomsticks on both sides, dumping more and more water into the current.

Then, before we know it, we fall down a brief drop, and tumble into the basement level of the show building into the next segment.

The second segment is based on “The Nutcracker Suite”. Like the film, there is no nutcracker in the sequence, and the scenes blend various Tchaikovsky pieces together. In the lengthy sequence in the movie, we pass through the four seasons. Here, it’ll be a little more compact, focusing on a beautiful, fairy-esque forest floor, leaving the castle walls behind. “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” reaches out ears, as fairies and animated mushrooms dance together to our right, travelling around the waltz to the left. The walls have projections, creating wondrous illusions of a deep forest, where other moments from “The Nutcracker Suite” like dancing leaves and such can be seen.

fantasia_nutcracker_sfb_aug2012_fairies.jpg

To the right and the centrepoint of the scene, which we loop around in a half-circle, high-kicking thistles perform to the “Russian Dance”. In the final stretch of the segment, we go through the “Waltz of the Flowers”, passing by enormous autumn leaves, which spin around, revealing fairies on the other side. And finally, things turn frost as winter sets in, creating giant, magnificent snowflakes, which could easily be mistook for peculiar looking trees.

(Originally I was going to include the “Rite of Spring” segment here, but dinosaurs didn’t really work well with the fantasy element of the ride.)

Next comes the “Dance of the Hours”. We transition from a forest to what resembles a Greek or Roman-inspired dance hall, where Madame Upanova, an ostrich, leads the dance with her fellow ostriches, elephants, hippos, and alligators. We go past the ostriches first as they dance and fight over some grapes. On the right hand side, we see Elephanchine, who blows a bubble with a dancing goldfish in it. Her fellow elephants squirt out harmless blasts of water at the guests as they go by. And finally, we reach the iconic moment where Hyacinth Hippo dances with Ben Ali, spinning together before a line of pillars, where the other animals watch from behind.

latest

Exiting through a Greek temple, we enter the fourth segment, “The Pastoral Symphony”. The area has more open waters and land, allowing for an extended sequence involving cherubs, fauns playing the pan pipes, courting centaurs, and a family of pastel-coloured pegasi frolic and graze in green grass. There are small islands on which the many Greek mythological creatures dance and play. Dionysus, the God of Wine, appears upon his donkey and appears to make the water turn purple and more choppy. Unfortunately, these festivities draw the attention of Zeus, who emerges from overhead on a throne of clouds and strikes the water (with an exaggerated flash of light).

latest

We are suddenly drawn up a disguised conveyor belt towards ground level, through a stormy cloud, covered by a light rainy mist. We see a pair of pegasi fly by. As we reach the top, we see the outline of a dark mountaintop, as thunder rumbles overhead. The boats reach the top, and go into a dark tunnel, now under Enchanted Storybook Castle.

We pass into a large chamber, moving through a dark graveyard at midnight. Looming overhead in Bald Mountain. Before our eyes, the top of the mountain unfolds, revealing to be an impressive and terrifying animatronic of Chernabog. With a wave of his hands, ghosts begin to rise up from the graves on either side of the boat, created by light projectiles from the ceiling which move towards the mountain.

latest

The boats draw nearer to the mountain, passing directly under Chernabog, who stares down menacingly at the guests. Fire suddenly bursts up all around the boats, as the demon plays with ghosts and demons in the flames. Grabbing demonic hands reach for the boats, but we escape, down another brief drop, hearing bells ring as we pass on towards dawn, revealing the silhouette of Yen Sid’s castle. We are returning to see what Mickey is up to since we last saw him.

tPYIvbM.jpg

Turns out, the poor mouse is up to his knees in water. There are now at least thirty broomsticks pouring water into the ride system, as Mickey spins in the middle on the spellbook, trying to end the mayhem. A pair of curtains fly open, Yen Sid appearing, ceasing the water flow as we pass by, heading for the unload section. We pass by an open door, where Mickey anxiously returns the sorcerer’s hat to his master, grinning sheepishly. Yen Sid then shoves a broomstick into his hands.

Guests then disembark from the boats, exiting through Mickey’s closet and out to explore Fantasyland.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I proudly present...
Your Dinner

Fantasyland

It’s important to note that those YouTube videos are relatively important. Just couldn’t get them to import properly

First project gets the first review! In the interest of keeping on top of things with the final round, I'm gonna be trying to write reviews as I go as much as I can. If you change anything in your write up, let me know and I'll take another look at it!

@AceAstro - Fantasyland - Review

First off, love the map! Very clear and simple, yet effective and nice looking. I love the Fantasmic on the map! You made it look so perfect and natural I almost missed it entirely.

Your expansion give Shanghai what it needs most. More small-medium scale rides that don’t feel like filler or place holders and more walking area to explore that are full of things to do rather than empty space between E-Tickets.

It is one of the most ground and practical proposals that could be made. It features mostly all versions of things from other parks with a blend of different eras of Disney. But focused on sure fire hits like Mermaid, BatB, Frozen, etc. It’s a very realistic project, but maybe a bit boring.

Princess Fantasy Faire sounds like a very nice place, but I believe they already have a collection of princess M&Gs in the castle. But I’m not entirely sure and I wouldn’t hold it against you for not knowing that. Meet and Greets are a big deal at Disney Parks and indoor centralised places make them better and the wait much more enjoyable. So, this is a very smart inclusion (if potentially redundant in shanghai).

Fantasmic in Fantasyland with the giant Castle as a backdrop is an amazing idea! It is the type of thing that really takes advantage of how large the lands are in Shanghai as this could not really work in any other Fantasyland, but is amazing here.

Your Little Mermaid ride is a very nice version of the attraction. Somethings are streamlined nicely. The suspended ride vehicles and the submerging efffects are both great additions. Love the Part of your World scene particularly.

Though, while your changes are nice, it feels weird to change things yet not do anything to fix the biggest problems/complaints with the current ride. The current Mermaid rides are criticised for an abrupt ending (going basically right from Kiss the Girl to the wedding skipping over the climax) and feeling more like a showcase for famous songs from the film rather than trying to take guests on a journey through Ariel’s World of telling a story. Both of these problems are still present in your new version. Your version isn’t bad and I like seeing a new take on it, but it feels odd to change the ride yet not address its issues.

Gaston’s Tavern is always great. As long as they still have the giant, yummy cinnamon rolls, I’m sold.

Frozen Ever After is also very nice. I like your streamlining once again. The addition of Anna being able to greet guests personally like Roz is a great touch that would help the ride come to life a bit more. Once again, i love your attraction layout maps.

Like the Mermaid ride, you make a lot of good changes but don’t address the most common issues with current version. The current version has too loose of a story without any tension involved and feels almost like just a showcase for the characters. Your ride, while it does improve in many ways on the original, keeps these same issues.

Marshmallow’s Lair sounds incredibly fun. Marshmallow may not be the most fitting or deserving for a cave under the castle, but would be very fun. Plus, having seen him in Epcot, I can say that the large Marshmallow figure is a very impressive figure.

Lastly, your Tangled changes make so much sense that I keep forgetting that isn’t what is actually there.

Overall, your additions to Fantasyland are very good and realistic (With some amazing visuals), but somewhat unexciting. Everything is versions of stuff from other parks. And many of the changes you made were good, but didn’t fix the problems with the originals.​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I humbly present my final project for One Little Spark!

Fantasia: River of Symphonies
73f7b8-20141201-fantasia.jpg

Weaving magic and music through the paths, turrets, and trees of Fantasyland, in Shanghai Disneyland, is a brand new inspiring attraction. Fantasia: River of Symphony transmutes the fun of a dark ride and the excitement of river rapids together, celebrating Walt Disney’s often contested magnum opus, Fantasia, the 1940 film that brought classical music to the masses through the magic of animation. Now, in the heart of Fantasyland, this new ride will offer the same sense of wonder, bring magic and music together, but also a thrill, as guests get soaked and soothed by some of the greatest pieces of music in the world

First off, the attraction uses the same ride layout as Voyage of the Crystal Grotto, but the ride is now within a show building, disguised as the extensive, golden-brown bricked walls of Yen Sid’s castle. The layout still goes under the Enchanted Storybook Castle, and guests may briefly glimpse the boats as they go by, from a small viewing point to the right-hand side of the entrance.

Speaking of the entrance, the ride’s Bavarian-style house is reimagined as a large, somewhat crooked tower and medieval fort, complete with a portcullis. The entranceway to Yen Sid’s castle. The architecture and stonework has many musical instruments hidden within. Glimmering lights come from windows up the tower, showing shadows of Yen Sid and Mickey Mouse himself passing by, and occasionally, an animated broomstick hops by. Within the queue line, guests travel through a small room filled with various musical instruments on display, as a nod to Fantasia’s orchestra, with a framed portrait of showing the master of ceremonies, Deems Taylor.

In the next section of the queue line, just before going to the loading area, guests will walk through Yen Sid’s workshop. A mix of orderly and cluttered, the work of a sorcerer of great power and respect, but not the cleanest of them. That is what his servant Mickey is for.

Onwards to the queue line, which resembles an underground waterway, where up to twelve guests board the circular tub boats, shaped to resemble giant wooden buckets. “Toccata and Fugue in B Minor” plays as guests board their buckets and sail off on a bumpy ride through the castle.

Through a dark tunnel we go, into another part of Yen Sid’s workshop. In his blue robes and star-patterned sorcerer’s hat, Yen Sid conjures magic and illusions from a spellbook on a podium. Through a door behind him, Mickey watches in excitement. Yen Sid brings to life a beautiful orange-and-yellow-winged butterfly, made through projections and a mist illusion. We pass by, ignoring a pair of wooden doors to the left, which lead to the boats’ docking station once the park closes.

latest

As we go around a corner, we hear “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” score begins. We see Mickey putting on the hat, and brings a broomstick to life, combining animatronics and a little Pepper’s Ghost. We follow their silhouettes around a right-hand bend, but things soon so wrong, and the water choppier and more rough, as the broomstick starts chucking endless water into the river. Our boats begin to rock back and forth, starting to spin as the current speeds up. We pass by a projection where Mickey chops up the broomstick with an axe, only for the individual pieces to become many brooms and they set off to collect more water.

pic4.jpg

Around the next wall, is a circular scene (where the Beauty and the Beast piece is from VoCG). Mickey watches in despair as now five broomsticks are dumping water into a vat, the water spilling endlessly out of their buckets. As we leave this section, we go into a slight curve, revealing a line of broomsticks on both sides, dumping more and more water into the current.

Then, before we know it, we fall down a brief drop, and tumble into the basement level of the show building into the next segment.

The second segment is based on “The Nutcracker Suite”. Like the film, there is no nutcracker in the sequence, and the scenes blend various Tchaikovsky pieces together. In the lengthy sequence in the movie, we pass through the four seasons. Here, it’ll be a little more compact, focusing on a beautiful, fairy-esque forest floor, leaving the castle walls behind. “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” reaches out ears, as fairies and animated mushrooms dance together to our right, travelling around the waltz to the left. The walls have projections, creating wondrous illusions of a deep forest, where other moments from “The Nutcracker Suite” like dancing leaves and such can be seen.

fantasia_nutcracker_sfb_aug2012_fairies.jpg

To the right and the centrepoint of the scene, which we loop around in a half-circle, high-kicking thistles perform to the “Russian Dance”. In the final stretch of the segment, we go through the “Waltz of the Flowers”, passing by enormous autumn leaves, which spin around, revealing fairies on the other side. And finally, things turn frost as winter sets in, creating giant, magnificent snowflakes, which could easily be mistook for peculiar looking trees.

(Originally I was going to include the “Rite of Spring” segment here, but dinosaurs didn’t really work well with the fantasy element of the ride.)

Next comes the “Dance of the Hours”. We transition from a forest to what resembles a Greek or Roman-inspired dance hall, where Madame Upanova, an ostrich, leads the dance with her fellow ostriches, elephants, hippos, and alligators. We go past the ostriches first as they dance and fight over some grapes. On the right hand side, we see Elephanchine, who blows a bubble with a dancing goldfish in it. Her fellow elephants squirt out harmless blasts of water at the guests as they go by. And finally, we reach the iconic moment where Hyacinth Hippo dances with Ben Ali, spinning together before a line of pillars, where the other animals watch from behind.

latest

Exiting through a Greek temple, we enter the fourth segment, “The Pastoral Symphony”. The area has more open waters and land, allowing for an extended sequence involving cherubs, fauns playing the pan pipes, courting centaurs, and a family of pastel-coloured pegasi frolic and graze in green grass. There are small islands on which the many Greek mythological creatures dance and play. Dionysus, the God of Wine, appears upon his donkey and appears to make the water turn purple and more choppy. Unfortunately, these festivities draw the attention of Zeus, who emerges from overhead on a throne of clouds and strikes the water (with an exaggerated flash of light).

latest

We are suddenly drawn up a disguised conveyor belt towards ground level, through a stormy cloud, covered by a light rainy mist. We see a pair of pegasi fly by. As we reach the top, we see the outline of a dark mountaintop, as thunder rumbles overhead. The boats reach the top, and go into a dark tunnel, now under Enchanted Storybook Castle.

We pass into a large chamber, moving through a dark graveyard at midnight. Looming overhead in Bald Mountain. Before our eyes, the top of the mountain unfolds, revealing to be an impressive and terrifying animatronic of Chernabog. With a wave of his hands, ghosts begin to rise up from the graves on either side of the boat, created by light projectiles from the ceiling which move towards the mountain.

latest

The boats draw nearer to the mountain, passing directly under Chernabog, who stares down menacingly at the guests. Fire suddenly bursts up all around the boats, as the demon plays with ghosts and demons in the flames. Grabbing demonic hands reach for the boats, but we escape, down another brief drop, hearing bells ring as we pass on towards dawn, revealing the silhouette of Yen Sid’s castle. We are returning to see what Mickey is up to since we last saw him.

tPYIvbM.jpg

Turns out, the poor mouse is up to his knees in water. There are now at least thirty broomsticks pouring water into the ride system, as Mickey spins in the middle on the spellbook, trying to end the mayhem. A pair of curtains fly open, Yen Sid appearing, ceasing the water flow as we pass by, heading for the unload section. We pass by an open door, where Mickey anxiously returns the sorcerer’s hat to his master, grinning sheepishly. Yen Sid then shoves a broomstick into his hands.

Guests then disembark from the boats, exiting through Mickey’s closet and out to explore Fantasyland.

@Evilgidgit - Fantasia: River of Symphonies - Review

I love the idea of this! Rapids Rides with Dark Ride Elements is great. Plus, it is one of the few ride types where nothing Disney has done has topped Universal in terms of storytelling and dark ride section integration. Popeye’s in Islands of Adventure is the best river rapids ride I’ve been on as a ride on top of having multiple figures throughout telling a simple story in a fun way. Your ride would finally have Disney top it.

That being said, the closest Disney has come to a dark ride/rapids ride hybrid is in Shanghai with Roaring Rapids. It is one of their signature attractions with a giant animatronic monster. So, having your ride in the same park is a bit redundant. That being said, multiple rides of the same type in the same park isn’t necessarily the worst thing. Especially since you do a lot of different things with it.

I adore the queue it sounds like such a great experience. Equal parts whimsical and classy. The map you have is really great by the way. It looks very professional. The Deems Taylor picture feels a bit out of place in the Fantasy environment, but it is a nice a tribute. I also loved the hand drawn art of the entrance. Very nice touch and very well drawn!

Bucket boats. Love it.

I don’t have too much to say about most of the showscenes. They are really well done. One of the biggest pitfalls with Fantasia projects is things feeling really disconnected and segmented. You do a great job with your choice of scenes hitting all of the highlights of the film while still creating a smooth, immersive experience. Well done.

You maybe push the limits of how much you can do with showscenes in this ride type (circular boats mean people aren’t always facing scenes, the river moves quickly, etc.). But you never quite push it too far.

The Chernabog scene is very very awesome. Yet this scene is also the most reminiscent of Roaring Rapids passing underneath a large monster animatronic. It is scene that highlights that this ride is similar to another ride in the park. So, as awesome as this scene is, perhaps either skipping Chernabog or doing something very different with it would have helped to distinguish the ride more from Roaring Rapids.

Overall, I adore this ride and would love to ride it! There has been a very large number of Fantasia projects over the years, but your unique rapids version with your well written description finds a way to stand out from the crowd. Unfortunately, while it stands out from other Fantasia projects, it struggles a bit to stand out from Roaring Rapids nearby.​

NateD1226

I proudly present...
Your Dinner

Fantasyland

It’s important to note that those YouTube videos are relatively important. Just couldn’t get them to import properly
I really love this idea! Your idea is very fun and creative. Just like Pi said, the maps helped A LOT! The spacing from place to place is perfect! You don't have to walk far and have your legs hurt while waiting in the queue! Fantasmic is very nice and simple.

The Little Mermaid ride is very well done! I think having it as a suspended ride was perfect! Fun Fact: If I am not mistaken, Tony Baxter wanted to have a suspended Little Mermaid ride inside Epcot. Anyways, I agree with @Pionmycake on cutting straight to the the finale after Kiss the Girl. Making a ride is just like reading a book. There is an introduction to the plot, conflict occurs, and then resolution. I think if you fixed the layout a bit, it would have been perfect. But overall the ride is amazing.

There is not a lot to say about Gaston Taverns then it is perfect and I would love to see all the antlers!

Frozen Ever After is very sweet! The intro is cute with Olaf. I think you could have described what the Lift Hill area would look like. I know that guests are going into Elsa's castle and the song Vuelie is playing, but the lift hill looks pretty long and maybe need more detail of what the room would look like. The Anna and Kristoff personal greeting feature is very cool! I think the layout, just like Mermaid, could have been a little better to help the story flow better. The rest of the ride is sweet and has a very lovable story.

The Snuggly Duckling and Princess Fantasy Faire are very nice additions.

Overall, the project is very nice and tied together splendidly. I just think the rides stories were just a little off and needed a little more detail. With that being said, good job and good luck.

spacemt354

Chili's
@Pionmycake , I know how you feel now haha! Writing reviews take a lot of time! ;):hilarious:
It's why I (personally) prefer forum posts whenever possible unless it's a custom website -- because I don't have to split screen to review or have to constantly toggle back and forth between the forum and a google doc.

On the forum I can just hit reply and write the review in the box as I read it, saves time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom