One Little Spark Competition (Sponsored by Stealing Things)

spacemt354

Chili's
Thank you so much! And congratulations again!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already thinking of what I could do differently or what I could add for the One Little Spark Competition 2: On the Run. Probably not till next Fall (the team/individual split format works well for the slow season), but if there's an empty spot I could definitely see myself moving it up a bit to fill it.

Though right now, I'm looking forward to playing in a competition again with Sorcerer's Apprentice coming up soon and the Disney Overhaul Comp over the holidays.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Oh man, I just had SUCH a fun experience with this game. By far one of the most satisfying runs I've had in any of my Armchair Imagineering competitions! :D:) Big congrats to @Evilgidgit for a very well deserved win. This was such a fun journey getting to combine hand drawn art, Paint art, both RCTs, and even a little bit of multimedia. Pi couldn't have hosted it better. I'm still planning on putting SYWTBAI on ice for a year or so, and I'm going to take a break from playing to host the Sorcerer's Apprentice podcast when that comes around. If Pi's down for it, I'd LOVE to collaborate on a second season and beyond. I truly think we have an amazing and worthy Armchair Imagineering "IP" to stand in the ranks of Sorcerer's Apprentice, SYWTBAI, The Sole Imagineer, The Choice, and other classics!

I think this should come as an example of what to strive for when planning on hosting a competition for the first time. You need a memorable hook, an ongoing an engaging storyline, and a clear and well presented set of rules that seem fun to play by. The rest kind of writes itself. Not saying it's just that easy to do a start-up comp, but I'd really love to see what another new host could bring to the table for a potential summer game following Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Fun times, guys! Off to see Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Also...10 days until my first solo WDW trip. Let me know if you'd be interested in hearing my six day itinerary :)
Glad to hear you had a great time! And it means so much to hear your confidence in this game!

I don't have much planned yet for the next season since it is probably a year away lol. But I'll definitely be messaging you closer in to come up with some ideas to make next year even more fun!

Can't wait to see what is coming next on the forum though!

And I'm always up to see iteneraries and trip reports!

Also, if anyone is interested, I was thinking of starting up a help thread about running games. Share some behind the scenes info from OLS as well as some of the lessons I learned along the way and have that as a place for other people who have hosted comps to share their wisdom and behind the scenes info too! But it's gonna have to wait till after Thanksgiving for me to have a chance to do it.

There's also my project...but it's not till next year. And it's secret oooh.

Ooooooh! Can't wait to see what it's about!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

Hmmm an otherworldly sounding, upbeat song that is instrumental so it would make great backing for videos and ties to the name I was thinking for the competition and is on an album that famously has a rainbow on the cover thing it to Figment iconography.

Nothing set in stone this early, but I'll give you the hint that you may not have been the first to think of that song here ;)

TheOriginalTiki

I'd be interested in hearing your six day itinerary :)

Alright, excuse me Pi while I hijack this thread and turn it into a trip planning thread :p

First off, the travel day is going to be rather intense. Taking an airporter to the San Francisco Airport, so I have no idea how much time that'll allow me in between security and boarding. My main concern this day is going to be food. I land in Florida around 10PM Eastern, so if I'm lucky I'd be getting to my resort (All Star Music) at 11:30 and I believe the food court is closed by that time. I could always take the bus to Disney Springs for a late night dinner as I believe buses run back and forth until around 2AM, but as we'll see in the itinerary SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK this trip and it might not be great to start things out with like a four hour sleep session before needing to get up for rope drop haha.

Anyways, day one of parks...hitting up Hollywood Studios first almost exclusively for Extra Magic Hours and Toy Story Land. Rope dropping Slinky naturally, then might try to get on Midway Mania depending on stand-by. Depending on what the wait situation is like for Tower or the show times for Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I might do either of those or just leave the park immediately after Toy Story Land and head for the Magic Kingdom.

At Magic Kingdom I've got a one-two punch of an Enchanted Tales Fastpass and Be Our Guest reservation. Any time at Magic Kingdom outside of Fastpasses will be spent on stuff you can't do at the parties...which as you'll see is going to be a big part of my trip. Definitely going to at least hit up Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress along with my additional Fastpasses for Peter Pan and Space Mountain. The park closes at 6 for that night's Very Merry, so I'll be leaving about 5 to take the monorail over the Epcot to round out my night. Will probably FP Spaceship Earth before spending as much time as I can at Showcase getting in my first couple drinks of the trip. I WILL be drinking around the world...just probably not all 11 countries at the same time ;) Figured the first night would be the perfect time to get Illuminations out of the way so I don't have to stress out about it later.

When Epcot closes at 9:30, there's a question of if I want to be a crazy man and take the monorail back to the Magic Kingdom resorts for some late-night bar hopping. A part of me REALLY wants to get in a monorail crawl this trip and I'd love to see the Poly and Contemporary in particular. This is probably a good night to get to sleep before midnight though because as were about to see SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK :p

Day two will start with Animal Kingdom. Naturally rope dropping Flight of Passage with FP for Na'Vii, Dinosaur, and the Safari. After the Safari around 2PM I'll be headed to Hollywood Studios for my Flurry of Fun night. Main goal is to just take in the park atmosphere, projection show, and Toy Story Land at night...and get as many holiday drinks in me as I can (notice a theme here :p ) Around the time Jingle Bell Jingle Bam starts at 8 I'll be taking the bus to Magic Kingdom because...AFTER HOURS! Did this last trip, loved it, can't wait to do it again. Hopefully I'll get there before park officially closes to get in another Carousel of Progress ride, but other than that it's all gravy! After Hours goes on until 1AM, so I probably won't be in bed that night until around 2AM. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK.

Day three starts at Epcot with Frozen at rope drop. Fastpasses for the day are Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin. Aiming to make this the day I hit La Cava Del Tequila right when it opens, as I hear it's almost impossible to get into but one of THE drinks to get at WDW. Generally just going to do some Drinking-Around-The-Worlding (again, not all in one day ;) ) before lunch at Teppan Edo. After lunch and maybe another drink or two I'll be taking the monorail to Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Again...in bed at 2AM the previous night, awake by 7AM for a 9AM rope drop the next morning, followed by an event that goes on until midnight which means I won't be in bed that night until 1AM. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK. Only hopes for the Christmas Party are the Seven Dwarfs (yes, I know the line will be huge...) and the parade along with extra ride time on the attractions of course.

Day four is another Animal Kingdom day, basically the same as the first AK day but a little more drawn out. Rope dropping Flight of course, but also have FP to come back to Flight later by some miracle along with FP for Dinosaur and a sunset Safari. Filling in the time with Everest single rider, animal trails, and Finding Nemo. Now it's after the sunset safari where things get tricky. I could go to Epcot for a few hours, I could go to Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours until 11PM, or I could go resort-hopping. Leaning towards Epcot to make sure I make the drinking around the world quota before the trip is up, but I might also just stay in the park to see Pandora at night which isn't a huge priority and check in early.

Day five starts with Epcot. Rope dropping Frozen along with FP at Frozen, SSE, and Mission Space. Hoping to crack out other Future World stuff like Seas, Imagination, Living With the Land, and Test Track before lunch at Le Cellier. After lunch and a drink or two at the Showcase, I'll be taking the monorail to Magic Kingdom once again for Christmas Party number two. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK. This party will almost exclusively be built on attractions while virtually ignoring the Christmas stuff, as it will be my last time in MK for the trip.

Day six starts at Studios. Rope dropping Slinky, FP for Slinky, Rock N', and Tower. Head to Epcot for the rest of the day mostly for drinking and snacking. After Epcot closes, much to Monkey's insistence I'll be checking out the Boardwalk and probably venturing into Jellyrolls before calling it a trip!

spacemt354

Chili's
Alright, excuse me Pi while I hijack this thread and turn it into a trip planning thread :p

First off, the travel day is going to be rather intense. Taking an airporter to the San Francisco Airport, so I have no idea how much time that'll allow me in between security and boarding. My main concern this day is going to be food. I land in Florida around 10PM Eastern, so if I'm lucky I'd be getting to my resort (All Star Music) at 11:30 and I believe the food court is closed by that time. I could always take the bus to Disney Springs for a late night dinner as I believe buses run back and forth until around 2AM, but as we'll see in the itinerary SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK this trip and it might not be great to start things out with like a four hour sleep session before needing to get up for rope drop haha.

When Epcot closes at 9:30, there's a question of if I want to be a crazy man and take the monorail back to the Magic Kingdom resorts for some late-night bar hopping. A part of me REALLY wants to get in a monorail crawl this trip and I'd love to see the Poly and Contemporary in particular. This is probably a good night to get to sleep before midnight though because as were about to see SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK :p
Wow that is a packed trip lol seems like you have a lot of it set in stone and ready to go. For these nights, on the first night if the food court is closed you could hop over to Disney Springs like you said. Or worst case scenario (let's say flight is delayed or something) and you get in after Disney Springs closes, take an uber to the Poly they have the 24 hour Captain Cook's quick service which is a hidden gem. There will always be food options in Disney, it's how they make that $$$;)

For the Epcot night, I'd recommend after Illuminations, casually strolling out the International Gateway and take a lap around the Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin, Yacht/Beach Club Resorts. It's less stressful then cramming into the monorail, and such a quiet area to just absorb and take in the decorations. Then wait an hour or so, and if you want to see the Poly that night, take a ride up on one of the resort buses, or hitch a ride to Disney Springs and transfer back to your home resort All Star Music, or just do an uber directly. It'll be nice and relaxing plus you can hit up the Abracadabar at the Boardwalk if the mood strikes, it's very unique and blends in really nice with the turn of the century boardwalk theme

spacemt354

Chili's
Day six starts at Studios. Rope dropping Slinky, FP for Slinky, Rock N', and Tower. Head to Epcot for the rest of the day mostly for drinking and snacking. After Epcot closes, much to Monkey's insistence I'll be checking out the Boardwalk and probably venturing into Jellyrolls before calling it a trip!
Oh I see Monkey has good taste and advice:p

I'd still sneak around to the Yacht/Beach that night, then maybe take a bus from there to the MK. The sardine can that is the rush to the Epcot monorail station after Illuminations and a long day in the middle of a trip just is a concoction of awfulness haha. Try to avoid it at all costs, I've been there done that, because then you have to transfer to the TTC which is another mess and it's just... nah. Take a quiet bus from one of the Epcot resorts to the MK then monorail to Contemporary and Poly. I'd also recommend trying to sneak in the Wilderness Lodge somehow into the trip - it is one of the best resorts at Christmas (so @MonorailRed tells me)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

Anyways, day one of parks...hitting up Hollywood Studios first almost exclusively for Extra Magic Hours and Toy Story Land. Rope dropping Slinky naturally, then might try to get on Midway Mania depending on stand-by. Depending on what the wait situation is like for Tower or the show times for Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I might do either of those or just leave the park immediately after Toy Story Land and head for the Magic Kingdom.

At Magic Kingdom I've got a one-two punch of an Enchanted Tales Fastpass and Be Our Guest reservation. Any time at Magic Kingdom outside of Fastpasses will be spent on stuff you can't do at the parties...which as you'll see is going to be a big part of my trip. Definitely going to at least hit up Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress along with my additional Fastpasses for Peter Pan and Space Mountain. The park closes at 6 for that night's Very Merry, so I'll be leaving about 5 to take the monorail over the Epcot to round out my night. Will probably FP Spaceship Earth before spending as much time as I can at Showcase getting in my first couple drinks of the trip. I WILL be drinking around the world...just probably not all 11 countries at the same time ;) Figured the first night would be the perfect time to get Illuminations out of the way so I don't have to stress out about it later.

Day two will start with Animal Kingdom. Naturally rope dropping Flight of Passage with FP for Na'Vii, Dinosaur, and the Safari. After the Safari around 2PM I'll be headed to Hollywood Studios for my Flurry of Fun night. Main goal is to just take in the park atmosphere, projection show, and Toy Story Land at night...and get as many holiday drinks in me as I can (notice a theme here :p ) Around the time Jingle Bell Jingle Bam starts at 8 I'll be taking the bus to Magic Kingdom because...AFTER HOURS! Did this last trip, loved it, can't wait to do it again. Hopefully I'll get there before park officially closes to get in another Carousel of Progress ride, but other than that it's all gravy! After Hours goes on until 1AM, so I probably won't be in bed that night until around 2AM. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK.

Day three starts at Epcot with Frozen at rope drop. Fastpasses for the day are Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, and Soarin. Aiming to make this the day I hit La Cava Del Tequila right when it opens, as I hear it's almost impossible to get into but one of THE drinks to get at WDW. Generally just going to do some Drinking-Around-The-Worlding (again, not all in one day ;) ) before lunch at Teppan Edo. After lunch and maybe another drink or two I'll be taking the monorail to Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Again...in bed at 2AM the previous night, awake by 7AM for a 9AM rope drop the next morning, followed by an event that goes on until midnight which means I won't be in bed that night until 1AM. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK. Only hopes for the Christmas Party are the Seven Dwarfs (yes, I know the line will be huge...) and the parade along with extra ride time on the attractions of course.

Day four is another Animal Kingdom day, basically the same as the first AK day but a little more drawn out. Rope dropping Flight of course, but also have FP to come back to Flight later by some miracle along with FP for Dinosaur and a sunset Safari. Filling in the time with Everest single rider, animal trails, and Finding Nemo. Now it's after the sunset safari where things get tricky. I could go to Epcot for a few hours, I could go to Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours until 11PM, or I could go resort-hopping. Leaning towards Epcot to make sure I make the drinking around the world quota before the trip is up, but I might also just stay in the park to see Pandora at night which isn't a huge priority and check in early.

Day five starts with Epcot. Rope dropping Frozen along with FP at Frozen, SSE, and Mission Space. Hoping to crack out other Future World stuff like Seas, Imagination, Living With the Land, and Test Track before lunch at Le Cellier. After lunch and a drink or two at the Showcase, I'll be taking the monorail to Magic Kingdom once again for Christmas Party number two. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK. This party will almost exclusively be built on attractions while virtually ignoring the Christmas stuff, as it will be my last time in MK for the trip.

Sounds like an awesome plan! Very busy, but fantastic and crazy fun sounding!

TheOriginalTiki

Wow that is a packed trip lol seems like you have a lot of it set in stone and ready to go. For these nights, on the first night if the food court is closed you could hop over to Disney Springs like you said. Or worst case scenario (let's say flight is delayed or something) and you get in after Disney Springs closes, take an uber to the Poly they have the 24 hour Captain Cook's quick service which is a hidden gem. There will always be food options in Disney, it's how they make that $$$;)

For the Epcot night, I'd recommend after Illuminations, casually strolling out the International Gateway and take a lap around the Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin, Yacht/Beach Club Resorts. It's less stressful then cramming into the monorail, and such a quiet area to just absorb and take in the decorations. Then wait an hour or so, and if you want to see the Poly that night, take a ride up on one of the resort buses, or hitch a ride to Disney Springs and transfer back to your home resort All Star Music, or just do an uber directly. It'll be nice and relaxing plus you can hit up the Abracadabar at the Boardwalk if the mood strikes, it's very unique and blends in really nice with the turn of the century boardwalk theme

Awesome tip about Captain Cooks. Might do that regardless of rather or not I get there before Springs closes as it would ensure I'd see the Poly and Cooks has been on my dining radar anyways. Plus if I'm lucky and get in early enough I could do a night cap drink at Sam's!

Interesting tip for the International Gateway but yes you paint a great picture of how bad the monorail sounds at that time. I'm thinking the first night I'll take bus to Magic Kingdom from Boardwalk after Epcot closes (is bus service still offered to MK even if it's just the Christmas party going on?) then doing a monorail crawl to at least Sam's and The Wave (or California Grill Lounge if I'm lucky ;) ) what would you recommend as a good stop-in bar for Grand Floridian? Will probably uber from Monorail resorts to All Stars to keep it simple and get in bed quicker. I assume the Uber pick up drop off point for resorts is roughly where you would also catch a taxi?

Okay...help me out here. I LOVE the concept of a dueling piano bar, but can't get a good feel for the drink menu at Jellyrolls. I like the concept of AbraKadabar and the drinks seem FAR more interesting, but it doesn't have the same pull to me that "dueling piano bar" does. Knowing me, I'll just do both haha :p

Day four, the day in between the two Christmas parties, would be the most realistic way I'd be able to work in Wilderness Lodge. Besides the Christmas stuff, sell me on the food and specifically any good bars. Right now that's the night that's the most up in the air but it's a toss up between staying at AK until closing, going to Epcot until closing, resort hopping, or going to Magic Kingdom for extra magic hours (miiiight be a good fallback option to get Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, and Laugh Floor if I don't get to the party nights early enough to work them all in...) Staying until AK until closing might be a good option as it'd ensure that I'd get a night in all four of the parks plus I'd be able to work in a resort hop on top of it since the park's only open until 8PM.

spacemt354

Chili's
Awesome tip about Captain Cooks. Might do that regardless of rather or not I get there before Springs closes as it would ensure I'd see the Poly and Cooks has been on my dining radar anyways. Plus if I'm lucky and get in early enough I could do a night cap drink at Sam's!

Interesting tip for the International Gateway but yes you paint a great picture of how bad the monorail sounds at that time. I'm thinking the first night I'll take bus to Magic Kingdom from Boardwalk after Epcot closes (is bus service still offered to MK even if it's just the Christmas party going on?) then doing a monorail crawl to at least Sam's and The Wave (or California Grill Lounge if I'm lucky ;) ) what would you recommend as a good stop-in bar for Grand Floridian? Will probably uber from Monorail resorts to All Stars to keep it simple and get in bed quicker. I assume the Uber pick up drop off point for resorts is roughly where you would also catch a taxi?

Okay...help me out here. I LOVE the concept of a dueling piano bar, but can't get a good feel for the drink menu at Jellyrolls. I like the concept of AbraKadabar and the drinks seem FAR more interesting, but it doesn't have the same pull to me that "dueling piano bar" does. Knowing me, I'll just do both haha :p

Day four, the day in between the two Christmas parties, would be the most realistic way I'd be able to work in Wilderness Lodge. Besides the Christmas stuff, sell me on the food and specifically any good bars. Right now that's the night that's the most up in the air but it's a toss up between staying at AK until closing, going to Epcot until closing, resort hopping, or going to Magic Kingdom for extra magic hours (miiiight be a good fallback option to get Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, and Laugh Floor if I don't get to the party nights early enough to work them all in...) Staying until AK until closing might be a good option as it'd ensure that I'd get a night in all four of the parks plus I'd be able to work in a resort hop on top of it since the park's only open until 8PM.
For Cooks I just wanna amend it by saying it's open 24 hours, but after 11pm or so I think there's only late-night dining (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that). So if you were looking for their pulled pork sandwich (which is my favorite) I think that stops at 11pm and then it's more generic Disney food options from 11pm till breakfast
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/polynesian-resort/capt-cooks/menus/late-night-dining/

But that all depends on what time you get down there, it's food haha so you take what you can get - and you got 6 nights so you should be able to catch it at one time or another.

I would assume the buses run to the MK because people could have reservations for the party who stay at the Boardwalk so they'd have to provide transportation for them.

And me personally I'm not much of a bouncer/club type guy - I like well themed bars and good ambiance. Jelly Rolls is very adult-Disney, probably the closest thing left to what Pleasure Island was so if that's what you like it gets the job done. Me I'd rather sit with my one drink and take in the atmosphere, that's why I really liked the atmosphere of Abracadabar - lot of hidden details on the walls and stuff.

Also getting back to the Poly, I actually like the Tambu Lounge over Trader Sam's -- but again it's just preference, I'm someone who prefers a chill atmosphere with a drink, and I'm impatient so I'm not going to wait 45 minutes for Trader Sam's which was the average wait time to sit inside. Instead I think it's so cool to get off the monorail and just head to the 2nd floor Tambu Lounge, grab a nice fruit flavored drink, then have the option to sit on the couches and people watch, or take it out to the beach and watch the fireworks at night or the boats go by during the day.

spacemt354

Chili's
Day four, the day in between the two Christmas parties, would be the most realistic way I'd be able to work in Wilderness Lodge. Besides the Christmas stuff, sell me on the food and specifically any good bars.
Here's my selling pitch for Wilderness Lodge -- the Geyser Point Bar & Grill (opened 2017)....is basically the winning bar project from SYWTBAI Season 13 (summer 2016) -- so you'd get to visit an actual project from your competition and have a drink at it.

I know you like meta experiences so you got a real meta one right there;) (Plus the drinks we designed they designed are pretty creative
1_zps54zgx4eg.png

geyser-point-bar-and-grill-lounge-entrance.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

And me personally I'm not much of a bouncer/club type guy - I like well themed bars and good ambiance. Jelly Rolls is very adult-Disney, probably the closest thing left to what Pleasure Island was so if that's what you like it gets the job done. Me I'd rather sit with my one drink and take in the atmosphere, that's why I really liked the atmosphere of Abracadabar - lot of hidden details on the walls and stuff.

To be clear, I'm not much of a club guy either, but I AM a live entertainment guy which is obviously the draw of Jellyrolls. Not sure if you remember but Yee Haw Bob ended up being pretty much THE highlight of my first trip. Bob has late shows, so it's still potentially on the table to go back to Riverside to catch him (of course the day in between the two Christmas parties would be the best option for this...) but this trip should be all about new experiences. I'll probably just gauge the crowd levels of Jellyrolls, because I'm definitely not a fan of "rave" type atmosphere. I'll definitely make a point to do Cadavbar, but as a live entertainment guy dueling pianos is a hard concept to pass up.

spacemt354

Chili's
To be clear, I'm not much of a club guy either, but I AM a live entertainment guy which is obviously the draw of Jellyrolls. Not sure if you remember but Yee Haw Bob ended up being pretty much THE highlight of my first trip. Bob has late shows, so it's still potentially on the table to go back to Riverside to catch him (of course the day in between the two Christmas parties would be the best option for this...) but this trip should be all about new experiences. I'll probably just gauge the crowd levels of Jellyrolls, because I'm definitely not a fan of "rave" type atmosphere. I'll definitely make a point to do Cadavbar, but as a live entertainment guy dueling pianos is a hard concept to pass up.
It's not a rave (that's more the desolate Atlantic Dance Hall next door to JellyRolls) but it also depends on what day you go -- you traverse over there on the weekends and imo it really isn't a family environment at night. However you head over on a Tuesday and it's not as much a 'drunky town' vibe if that makes sense. It's also not the same as Yee Haw Bob, you saw the best of the best, so as long as you're experiencing it just to do something different and not expecting something better, then I think you'll be satisfied.

As long as you're seeing entertainment on the boardwalk there's street performer (forgot his name) that is a must-see. You'll recognize him because he only talks in a squeak sound, he's hard to miss, but very talented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom