On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

celluloid

There's room for both. I think the pacing and length of the Defunctland videos makes them more appealing to the casual fan. I'm very grateful for Martin's videos and enjoy them a lot, but only a super fan would be interested in extended footage from rides they may have never experienced.

Expedition Theme Park is better with that pacing and surface level interesting and Defunctland is a bit PETA about Sea World.

Martin, GP to Enthusiast, Season Pass and Martin's are great.

Brer Oswald

Shame, since the HALYX video actually contained interviews and rare footage of the show performing at Disneyland for the Summer of 1981.
That was Matthew Serrano’s project. He was the one who did the Hoot and Cheif documentary.

He doesn’t work regularly for Kevin (to my best knowledge). That’s probably why the quality of that video would be so different to the others.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin doesn’t narrate his videos. It’s text “narration”. A turn off for many. Even if the information and overall quality is as good as they get.
It’s funny. I’ve had about the same comments over the years for and against text vs voiceover. But I was thinking today about voiceovers again.

Maybe I need to have a title page of a selfie, superimposed over a picture perfect photo of the ride with a massive coloured outline around me, and huge obnoxious and variously coloured text titles all around me like tabloid headlines. That’ll do it right?

nickys

Premium Member
It’s funny. I’ve had about the same comments over the years for and against text vs voiceover. But I was thinking today about voiceovers again.

Maybe I need to have a title page of a selfie, superimposed over a picture perfect photo of the ride with a massive coloured outline around me, and huge obnoxious and variously coloured text titles all around me like tabloid headlines. That’ll do it right?

Don’t forget to bombard the video with emojis and phrases like ZOMG!!!! in bright colours in case the viewer’s attention has wandered off.

Brer Oswald

I personally think voice overs would be a good idea. I’ve heard people mention it in the past. I’m also asking a bit selfishly since I am a pretty slow reader 🙃.

Animaniac93-98

It should be noted that Defunctland often uses (or used) footage from Martin's videos, with a watermark citing the source.

He's obviously aware of Martin, and his videos would not exist without their precedent, but the flashier presentation and shorter run time makes Defunctland more accessible for viewers. Unfortunately, Defunctland is not the most accurate or comprehensive source to learn stuff.

Animaniac93-98

Was he aggressively reckless and tasteless like Chapek, no? Was his tenure bad for the parks, yes.

Again, Disney executives aren’t your friends.

Also interesting how so many Disney fans cite examples as if doing something, anything, means the company is in good hands.

Just because Disney builds a ride, or offers a service, does not mean either were the best decisions or executed as good as they could be.

Animaniac93-98

Coincidentally posted by one of the better Disney bloggers recently:

"I haven't met a single person under the age of 25 who is a self-professed retro theme park fan who learned about them reading sites like this. They've learned everything they know on YouTube. It's fair to say that the time of the informational blog seems to have passed."

- Passport2Dreams

Brer Oswald

Coincidentally posted by one of the better Disney bloggers recently:

"I haven't met a single person under the age of 25 who is a self-professed retro theme park fan who learned about them reading sites like this. They've learned everything they know on YouTube. It's fair to say that the time of the informational blog seems to have passed."

- Passport2Dreams
Hasn’t met me I guess.

JoeCamel

Maybe you could get Jeremy Irons to do the voiceover.....

Animaniac93-98

Maybe you could get Jeremy Irons to do the voiceover.....

Only if Irene does the French translation too:

1598139187946.png

Unplugged

Don't forget to remind people at the beginning, in the middle, and again at the end, to Click Like (and point it out in a place that it's not actually located), Subscribe, Comment below with the irrelevant non-sense about what "they think"! OH, and you also need a bunch of links to custom merch & an amazon store of the gear you use! ;-)

In all reality, I love the videos but have always thought of them as the makings of great documentaries, which voice overs can do well with. Perhaps to get more clicks (reference click-bait styles above) publishing 2 of the same, one with narration & music, one with just music, both with subtitles. Not suggesting you go down that road, but depending on the approach, if could gain additional followers. Think TV series, like the new Disney+ Imagineering show.

PiratesMansion

Most YouTube content, other than Martin's, is full of inaccuracies. Research and depth tends to be on the shallow end of the spectrum.

Defunctland has flashier visuals but eventually there were so many inaccuracies-and not common misconceptions, BASIC fact checking inaccuracies-and random tangenting (hurr durr Cedar Fair is trash because my home park Worlds of Fun hasn't gotten a coaster recently hurr durr) that I stopped watching his content.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom