On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
We all have our own learning styles and entertainment preferences (witness discussions of CoP, CBJ, Tiki room, etc.) but for me personally, I would really prefer narration over captioning. Having to read the text takes away from being able to WATCH the video, and is simply too distracting for me. It is the main reason I have not viewed more of Martin's very fine videos. But, in the end, it is his call. Recording narration would greatly increase editing time.
I don’t know... the amount of time I spend spell checking...

wdwmagic

Administrator
It’s funny. I’ve had about the same comments over the years for and against text vs voiceover. But I was thinking today about voiceovers again.

Maybe I need to have a title page of a selfie, superimposed over a picture perfect photo of the ride with a massive coloured outline around me, and huge obnoxious and variously coloured text titles all around me like tabloid headlines. That’ll do it right?
I think the goal of yours is very different to the goal of others.

You are trying to make the most detailed and accurate video. The vast majority of the others are just looking for a payday. The two different goals result in different presentation.

Text for me :)

ParkerLoLs

This is exactly why they shouldn't have done it in the first place. You anger your executives right when you need them to be the most creative and focused to navigate this situation, your lower employees don't appreciate it as they say "big deal, they make enough already", and the outside world still criticizes you. I hope Disney ups their annual bonuses so all of the execs recoup what they lost in net pay from this charade.

Willful ignorance for $1000.

ParkerLoLs

I'll take that as you have no actual rebuttal. These types of comments are expected and further just prove my point. Had a couple of my consulting clients talk about doing this nonsense of having executives take "show" pay cuts - every time I hear them talk about it, I forward comments from this and other boards. There's your "optics" benefit.

Pay the execs, keep them focused, and keep them motivated/financially incented to do the tough cost cutting that is coming and there will be job losses by the thousands at Disney. Having a VP take a 20% cut for 90 days does nothing for the bottom line, executive morale, or helps those employees who will be eventually laid off.

Consulting clients? Maybe you should work directly with Disney and make some real waves instead of poo-pooing others?

el_super

This is not good news.

It's not really bad news either. When Disney furloughed their CMs they had to tell the state that the furlough was not expected to last more than six months, and this is just confirmation of what is evident: that they were wrong and the furloughs are lasting longer. Overall though, as business picks up they will still want to keep those people interested in returning, rather than just cut them loose now. They will still need more people in the immediate future.

Unbanshee

It's not really bad news either.

I think it's bad news. Looks at the HMSHost situation at MCO. 750+ employees impacted. Those who haven't been recalled by mid-October will be converted into a layoff. It's the travel industry/restaurant. While Disney is a little more immune, it can't be by much and they will have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Also, it's impossible for CMs to survive on state unemployment at this point. They might have to quit before they can be recalled.

JoeCamel

I think it's bad news. Looks at the HMSHost situation at MCO. 750+ employees impacted. Those who haven't been recalled by mid-October will be converted into a layoff. It's the travel industry/restaurant. While Disney is a little more immune, it can't be by much and they will have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Also, it's impossible for CMs to survive on state unemployment at this point. They might have to quit before they can be recalled.
Same here in Tampa and several other locations HMSHost services. Lots of jobs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom