On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

PhotoDave219

This from CF News 13.....

Dr. Pino with
@OrangeCoFL says it will likely be spring of 2021 until county can fully relax COVID-19 restrictions. He says that's based on a vaccine being available by Jan 2021 and then county having about 3 months to administer vaccine.

Who knew the worst case scenario that we could imagine for the theme parks wasn’t even close to the nightmare unfolding

A ton of people are about to lose their jobs in Florida. Not just the lousy people too. All this talk on how the stock price is saved is predicated on the broken backs of working people. Bob Iger's "legacy" can only be salvaged by thousands losing their livelihoods. This is a disgrace.
Honest question here: there are a dozen hotels closed at WDW right now - do you propose that the company send those people to wander around shuttered hotels?

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but the global tourism collapse is independent of hurr durr Bob Iger - those thousands lost their livelihood because they work in an industry that doesn’t exist now. There’s no work to be done: no beds to be made, no reservations to be checked in, no hamburgers to cook, no phone calls to answer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honest question here: there are a dozen hotels closed at WDW right now - do you propose that the company send those people to wander around shuttered hotels?

Not sure if you’ve noticed, but the global tourism collapse is independent of hurr durr Bob Iger - those thousands lost their livelihood because they work in an industry that doesn’t exist now. There’s no work to be done: no beds to be made, no reservations to be checked in, no hamburgers to cook, no phone calls to answer.

So...what your trying to say is.....????
Can’t speak for him, but a lot of us are working from home right now and can be flexible with how we use our time. Doesn’t make it “easy” by a long shot, and... oh, who am I kidding? I’m working like 15 hours a week right now.
I work until the work is done...and maintain full availability to do it. There’s no reason every job shouldn’t be that way IF it conforms to the type of work.

And I may work 20 or 60...but as long as it’s done, nobody has ever asked for an apology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And FYI...early prediction is that adjusted earnings are set to go from a $4.6 billion dollar profit to a $50 million dollar loss...

That’s only a $5 billion swing...meh

But the important thing is ole slaphead reassuring the people by laying out when and how everything will get back to normal in the next 90 days...how hard can that be?😉

Lilofan

They'll probably begin immediately after they announce the actions they intend to take. Usually these things come in waves afterward.

I hope they offer a voluntary separation option before an involuntary sacking. Those tend to benefit salaried jobs higher up the food chain more than the front lines. I hope they are offering options for a dignified exit. What does my gut say? It's not gonna be that nice.
Voluntary separations would have been made public with staff already talking about it or media picking the story up. Early 2009 ring a bell? Companies such as Disney should have a severance package already described in writing and or a contract that staff sign when working. Some that get let go or leave in companies that are higher up on the food chain obviously walk away with a sweeter deal. Things that come in waves is correct. HR can't be in all places at once.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Time in? very possible. The bigger issue is working with companies that actually last that long anymore.. the speed of the world and tech has cut the runway of many companies.

Job with guaranteed pensions and insurance... not anyone being hired these days except in very finite circumstances. Everyone switched to retirement savings.
Pensions in companies are taboo moving forward. It cuts into company profits. Employees to invest their money in 401K if they want to plan for the future. It's the sign of the times. I support a pension but companies nowadays don't feel that way.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Note I never said pickup and move on a dime... go back and read where I said 'what are you doing about it?' - Are you saving? Are you researching what it costs in other possible locations? Are you prioritizing your spending? Are you finding out what you NEED before moving, etc? I can guarantee you 95% of the people complaining about where they are now - are not doing those things to work out how to break the cycle. Just going around complaining about their town... and how it's so bad. Most people are afraid to move because they don't think they can afford it. Ok, so what are you doing to make it so you can afford it?

These are life changing decisions... but the entire point is "Are you working to change things, or are you gonna sit and just be miserable forever?"

You aren't stuck where you are - anyone telling you that is holding you back. People just have to be willing to do their part.

With the lockdown going on.. my niece's normal gig had no future. With all the J-1 visa students unable to come this year the beach resorts are DYING for people. So they got a group together, in one weekend found a seasonal rental and had 3 job offers in one day. She's only 17. They're living there now. Sure this is only temporary... but they're making money now vs nothing and making enough to bank savings to work out the next step. Or she could have just stayed at my sister's house for the summer twiddling her thumbs about how shutdown sucks.

My oldest kid had both her jobs shutdown by covid, as did her fiancé. After a few weeks, she found a job that would give her hours working the counter at a food place. Eventually one of her jobs came back, and in the interim kept pushing and found an even better full time job. So she's been working part time in two jobs even during the pandemic, and is setup to work full time plus one of those jobs part time starting later this month. This weekend they moved into their first house after living on their own for the last 2 years in an apartment. The only support she gets from me is she's allowed to be on my insurance and my phone plan.

The world doesn't have to be as miserable as people describe CM working conditions in Orlando. Stop acting like 'this is how it has to be...'. Put together a plan, find out what you need, then start doing the things you need to make it real.

If you don't - yes, you'll be stuck there forever or sliding backwards.

I see it even in my high paying industry. People doing the same exact job for like 10 years. You talk to them about their direction, and they have none. They're just happy to treat water and hope the pool never gets drained while they are still in it. Then, when the layoffs do hit, they wander aimlessly wondering 'why me...'.
Very interesting you talk a lot of young ones needing to make smarter decisions in life which I agree. Your oldest kid and fiance having employment impacted by covid then getting out of an apartment then moving into their first house. Doesn't seem like sound decision making in these uncertain times?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Honestly, knowing what I know now, I should've gone to auto tech school. I've always been a car geek, loved tinkering with them, already do most of my own maintenance, and am smart enough to do my own books and marketing. Seeing how well my mechanic lives, that's the better choice.

Dutch Inn '76

I’m not saying that a living wage should depend on life choices. It has nothing to do with your age, marital status, or whether you have children. The research I mentioned determines “need” by considering how much it costs to pay rent and buy gas and groceries in the geographic location and sets a basic (starting) wage based on the cost to live there.

That sounds nice and all, but it just means that the popcorn vendor will be let go. No one can afford to pay unskilled workers a "living wage."

Archie123

Can’t speak for him, but a lot of us are working from home right now and can be flexible with how we use our time. Doesn’t make it “easy” by a long shot, and... oh, who am I kidding? I’m working like 15 hours a week right now.

Some people just get jealous.

tirian

I’ll say it again:

Wall Street is obsessed with not really losing a dime like they did during the housing crash...so the fed slid them $3,700,000,000,000 in a white envelope in an alley.

That’s how you “make it go away”

Don’t think D+ has much to do with it. The math has been stated on that for years. It’s $7 a pop...not like they act like they made $6,000,000,000 in the quarter off it.
I agree. However, every financial article from the last few days has emphasized the content Disney has put on D+. WS hopes subscriptions are skyrocketing even though other reports have suggested otherwise.

Many people pay less than $7. Remember that sign-up deal? Some Americans are paying $3/month. Plus, Verizon subscribers get it for free right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom