On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

_caleb

That sounds nice and all, but it just means that the popcorn vendor will be let go. No one can afford to pay unskilled workers a "living wage."
LOL
B6A53FC1-3596-4B1D-80E5-0A61C900FE8E.jpeg

In-N-Out Burger (in Northern CA, a very expensive place to live) starts their “unskilled” employees at $16/hr.
40603AC8-6ED3-40EC-97F4-23270AC40543.png

Chick-fil-A in the same market hires at $16.50/hr.
51792206-95AC-49C4-B17B-7F0165F6ACB6.jpeg

CA minimum wage is $10/hr. The result of paying “unskilled” workers 150% of minimum wage is quality workers (motivated to keep better-laying jobs) who have a much higher job satisfaction (reducing expensive turnover and training).

Disneyland CMs make $10/hour.

CaptainAmerica

LOL

In-N-Out Burger (in Northern CA, a very expensive place to live) starts their “unskilled” employees at $16/hr.
Chick-fil-A in the same market hires at $16.50/hr.

Disneyland CMs make $10/hour.
Yet they still choose to work there instead of Chick-fil-a or In-N-Out. Weird.

CA minimum wage is $10/hr. The result of paying “unskilled” workers 150% of minimum wage is quality workers (motivated to keep better-laying jobs) who have a much higher job satisfaction (reducing expensive turnover and training).
Job satisfaction comes from more than just cash compensation.

Last edited:

_caleb

I'm a firm believer in "A well-treated employee is a good employee".
As am I! I’m in corporate training. I believe training makes the difference between success and failure. But if people are worried about being able to pay rent, they’re going to be stressed/distracted and their performance will be negatively affected no matter how well trained they are.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yet they still choose to work there instead of Chick-fil-a or In-N-Out.

Job satisfaction comes from more than just cash compensation.
1. You’re still acting as though someone walks out their front door and says “hmmm...where am I gonna go to work today by choice?i have so many options available to me!!” Thats a nice concept in a vaccuum.

2. You’re joking, right?
I'm a firm believer in "A well-treated employee is a good employee".

I believe every labor study ever has come to that same conclusion...

Last edited by a moderator:

ImperfectPixie

As am I! I’m in corporate training. I believe training makes the difference between success and failure. But if people are worried about being able to pay rent, they’re going to be stressed/distracted and their performance will be negatively affected no matter how well trained they are.
I can agree with that...but...a well-treated employee also knows that they are appreciated, and will generally go the extra mile for their employer, should the need arise.

CaptainAmerica

You’re still acting as though someone walks out their front door and says “hmmm...where am I gonna go to work today by choice?i have so many options available to me!!” Thats a nice concept in a vaccuum.
I was responding to a post that literally showed fast food companies who can't fully staff even at $16/hr.

_caleb

I can agree with that...but...a well-treated employee also knows that they are appreciated, and will generally go the extra mile for their employer, should the need arise.
Yes. And the best, most tangible way to show an employee that they are appreciated? Wages that cover basic living expenses.

After that, there’s also flexible scheduling, benefits, empowerment to make decisions, resources needed for personal safety, and general encouragement. As an employer, how many of these is Disney known for?

ImperfectPixie

Yes. And the best, most tangible way to show an employee that they are appreciated? Wages that cover basic living expenses.

After that, there’s also flexible scheduling, benefits, empowerment to make decisions, resources needed for personal safety, and general encouragement. As an employer, how many of these is Disney known for?
Basically none. And that's why I hate big corporate America. There's no need to treat employees like they're disposable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Agree...

And if I could add - the promise of more. As in a reasonable reward of loyalty with advancement in under 14 years...or a consistent raise schedule.

You know who does well with the latter and it generally shows? Trader Joe’s. You can just work and make consistent raises...they have good medical...and at least used to have a no-match 10% retirement contribution plan.

Not shangri-la...but it works better in practice.

Last edited:

hopemax

If you want to pay 30% more for your entrance tickets, by all means, encourage Disney to pay 30% more than the minimum wage for street sweepers, ticket-takers, lanyard-yankers, food-sliders, merchandise sellers and button-pushers.
If the market could bear a 30% price increase, why aren’t they charging those prices right now? Isn’t that what they are supposed to be doing? No charity of that magnitude to consumers simply because they are paying labor less.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Basically none. And that's why I hate big corporate America. There's no need to treat employees like they're disposable.
They used to be closer to being known for these things...for decades. Michael axed That in the early 90’s...frank Wells not blameless either. And Roy E was the “Don”’of the board at that time.

No clean hands in big business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom