On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

brianstl

Not a financial analyst by any means, but watching the stock price will be fascinating. Disney's revenue numbers will be abysmal, but who doesn't expect them to rebound once there's any kind of return to normalcy?
Actually, much if not all of this miserable past quarter is already priced in. The thing that could cause a big drop is guidance that is worse than investors are expecting or if the skeletons that @pheneix has referred to tumble out of the closet.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

Actually, much if not all of this miserable past quarter is already priced in. The thing that could cause a big drop is guidance that is worse than investors are expecting or the skeletons that @pheneix has referred to tumble out of the closet.
I would agree...the market has already priced in any news from tomorrow. Furthermore, it has already considered the “rebound.”

flynnibus

Premium Member
One thing Disney absolutely needs is knockout D+ and Hulu subscriber growth. Disney announced back in May that D+ had around 51 million subs. Say they absolutely killed it and are close to 80 million subscribers. Hulu likewise experiences the same growth, but sorry, I don't recall their sub numbers off hand. With this momentum they can definitely abate some of the pain from the parks. Because of the value that Wall St places on subscriber businesses that lose lots of money, this could even save the stock. Even while DTC is losing tons of money, the revenue still good cash in the till.

it was hysterical last quarter how just talk about D+ positivity pretty much killed any 'ESPN is sinking the company' talk... all while the fundamentals of what ESPNs transformation and it's role in the business hadn't changed a bit.

With so much uncertainty right now.. you gotta think Disney stays conservative on projecting any recovery stuff for next quarter.

pheneix

Original Poster
I would agree...the market has already priced in any news from tomorrow. Furthermore, it has already considered the “rebound.”

Further agree. The stock price reflects a sentiment that "things will be okay" and the company will emerge unscathed. That is totally insane but it is probably gonna be the opinion that rules the day. There's also a ton of global government stimulus money that's keeping the markets afloat. Like a ton a ton.

We've definitely discussed the grim on here because its real and we know the world has changed forever. The business world is operating on a lie that things will "come back." Even consumer advertising has a kind of brow beating message saying it.

But you know what? A ton of people are about to lose their jobs in Florida. Not just the lousy people too. All this talk on how the stock price is saved is predicated on the broken backs of working people. Bob Iger's "legacy" can only be salvaged by thousands losing their livelihoods. This is a disgrace. This company is facing an end to its independent existence. It ends with an inevitable absorption into larger corporate beasts. What a disgrace of a legacy to leave behind. A bright side? Most of what we care about at the "Disney" we love will be better off.

I shoulda saved that rant for a sequel thread. Oh well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's going to be nightmare fuel with a cherry and pixie dust dusting.
That’s very doom and gloom. I assume for dramatic effect?
@pheneix has just given us an update, so let's all (myself included) get back on track. Thank you.
Not much of a “track”
Left on this one, Ma...

The thread title doesn’t even make sense 😂
Not a financial analyst by any means, but watching the stock price will be fascinating. Disney's revenue numbers will be abysmal, but who doesn't expect them to rebound once there's any kind of return to normalcy?
I don’t think you’ll see much movement...for now.
Because stocks have been proven to be basically bogus now?

DVCakaCarlF

That’s very doom and gloom. I assume for dramatic effect?

Not much of a “track”
Left on this one, Ma...

The thread title doesn’t even make sense 😂

I don’t think you’ll see much movement...for now.

Because stocks have been proven to be basically bogus now?
Not bogus, but “optimistic” and “stimulated” by the public and government, respectively.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Further agree. The stock price reflects a sentiment that "things will be okay" and the company will emerge unscathed. That is totally insane but it is probably gonna be the opinion that rules the day. There's also a ton of global government stimulus money that's keeping the markets afloat. Like a ton a ton.

We've definitely discussed the grim on here because its real and we know the world has changed forever. The business world is operating on a lie that things will "come back." Even consumer advertising has a kind of brow beating message saying it.

But you know what? A ton of people are about to lose their jobs in Florida. Not just the lousy people too. All this talk on how the stock price is saved is predicated on the broken backs of working people. Bob Iger's "legacy" can only be salvaged by thousands losing their livelihoods. This is a disgrace. This company is facing an end to its independent existence. It ends with an inevitable absorption into larger corporate beasts. What a disgrace of a legacy to leave behind. A bright side? Most of what we care about at the "Disney" we love will be better off.

You summed it up beautifully... and perfectly encapsulated why they aren’t “stocks” by definition anymore. It’s no longer product and performance...it’s “what I feel it’s worth/want it to be worth what I say”

Like my basebll cards 👍🏻

DVCakaCarlF

Meaning PR&E being absorbed into another Corp or all of TWDC being absorbed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom