On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

sbunit

Most viral mutations result in a weaker virus. Also they will assuredly have a vaccine within 12 months because their is too much money to be made and Corona virus's have been around for a long time. People don't seem to realize that our current society is unsustainable. The cascade you refer to would not just effect Disney but every industry in the country. The result? A greater depression that we willingly brought upon ourselves. To summarize, the cascade / depression won't happen so I don't view those as "significantly possible" but I respect your opinions.

Companies need to make money, these restrictions will start to disappear or be reduced in all industries before years end.

I've made these same points a few times in the past. I got my head chewed off when I tried to point out the virus mutations result in weaker viruses and in some case the disappearance of viruses (this point specifically towards RNA virus, which Coronavirus is, as opposed to DNA based viruses). People also fail to recognize the fact that the government is pushing for a vaccine to be available end of 2020. Production has already STARTED and they are just waiting to complete the trials so once the trials are complete there will be immediate shipping and delivery of the vaccines (instead of waiting for the trials to end and then start manufacturing). Fauci himself has acknowledged this fact. The point is the government (all governments) recognize the current society we live in is absolutely unsustainable from multi standpoints, particularly an economic one. A vaccine, regardless of how efficient or potent it may be at curtailing the virus is essential to get the population's mindset back to normal and at ease. And I fully expect that we will need multiple vaccinations if not annual vaccinations to account for the inherent characteristics of the Corona virus family. Again, people forget that we've been studying Corona Viruses for quite some time and although this is a new strain, we still have enough background and data to engineer a successful vaccine in record time. Yet the media keeps presenting the possibility of a vaccine as iffy at best despite governments investing billions in their production already behind sound science. The consequences would be a lot more dire if this was a brand new virus that we've never seen but that's not the case. Come spring 2021, after cold and flu season passes and the vaccine has been circulating for a few months, we will be in a much better place and so will Disney and the rest of the travel industry.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing. You're missing nothing. They are not going bankrupt. Wall Street expects them to lose $0.61/share, or $1.1bn in Q3. That would reflect them being able to keep the lights on for many years.

They’re not going bankrupt...but their business is severely screwed in the short to medium term.
Projections never have anyone losing money next year...cause it’s their narcotic.

Hold the horses on that one, Newt.

FullSailDan

because their is too much money to be made and Corona virus's have been around for a long time.

Funny thing about science, it doesn't really care about the financials. The opportunity for revenue generation doesn't really dictate the probability of a vaccine being developed within the next 12 months. It does play into the amount of effort that will companies will give it. That being said, we currently have several promising clinical trials, but just look at the number of stage 3 clinical trials that we've gone through for HIV cures that have completed failed.

Jrb1979

A question:

If Disney's financials are cratering such that there will be massive layoffs or sell-off of part of the company, then how can they afford to make all the 'woke' changes that is claimed to be coming since that will require huge outlays of money?
Cause they aren't coming anytime soon. Why is it so hard for people to come to terms Disney isn't in great shape right now.

In a sad way I'm glad this is happening to them. I remember how great Disney was when I went as a kid. Loved Epcot when World of Motion, Horizons and Maelstrom were there. Hate them going to making everything IP based.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Dan Deesnee

Funny thing about science, it doesn't really care about the financials. The opportunity for revenue generation doesn't really dictate the probability of a vaccine being developed within the next 12 months. It does play into the amount of effort that will companies will give it. That being said, we currently have several promising clinical trials, but just look at the number of stage 3 clinical trials that we've gone through for HIV cures that have completed failed.

Science doesn't care about financials, in it's purest form. However in modern times science and money are greatly intertwined, like it or not. Funding, gov't backing, grants, lobbyists, etc. In a round about way knowing we need a vaccine in less than 12 months greatly plays into the probability of us getting one. The reason is simple, the positive press the company would receive and financial boon are more attractive than just about anything else out there.

This virus is not even comparable to HIV so not sure why you brought that up. Just because they are both virus's doesn't mean they are comparable. Sharks are very different from sea slugs.

HauntedMansionFLA

Correct. Then they would have to tap into the $11bn they raised in May or some of the other $80bn+ in non-leveraged equity that they have.
How much did the company spend on the stock buybacks over the last couple of years? The Fox purchase was over 71 billion And I think the buybacks were around 35 billion.

durangojim

Really? what hotels have you tried? I thought they were being strict about who they let in?
I thought that was going to be the case too. We went to Poly, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Riviera, Boardwalk (via Beach Club). When we went to Riviera I even asked the guard about it and his response was so enthusiastic "No we want you to come here, you can even pool hop!" I was blown away, I really think they just want guests. And no we didn't pool hop.

dreday3

It does. 100%. All these companies, working harder and faster than ever before - do you think that it just became possible now to move this fast on a vaccine for certain viruses? Of course not. There was just never enough push and money behind it before Covid.

Nubs70

Correct. Then they would have to tap into the $11bn they raised in May or some of the other $80bn+ in non-leveraged equity that they have.
Thanks, that great additional information. Even with those additional cash reserves, WDW is going at a pretty aggressive burn rate. Would it be correct to say WDW can expect a significant negative impact on their stock price, short of emotional equity purchasers?

disneygeek90

Their customer service is horrible. I asked them several times what my new expiration date was, via email and twitter DM's and they never answered. When I tried to call, I couldn't even get into a waiting queue. I assumed it was sometime in August, but the lack of care coupled with reviews I've seen and read about mask issues was enough for me to just disregard going back and letting the pass expire.

WDW Pro

If Disney's financials are cratering such that there will be massive layoffs or sell-off of part of the company, then how can they afford to make all the 'woke' changes that is claimed to be coming since that will require huge outlays of money?

They can't. That's why there's no timeline and the committee has gone silent.

Sure, all hypotheticals that could happen, but the statements made on this thread insinuate bankruptcy is imminent for Disney. "Teetering on bankruptcy" is not a term to describe a business that will kinda, sorta, maybe go bankrupt in a few years if _____ , _____ and ______ occur.

FYI -- The film industry has already resumed. A few notable Disney productions are shooting as we speak. Not to mention animation has still been humming along relatively unscathed all things considered.

If COVID acts like the flu it will significantly extend the time we take to adjust, including economically. Live action filming is essentially dead at the moment.

BlackCauldron

Perhaps for some people enforced masks is why they may consider going

I certainly fall into this category. Enforced masks and all that WDW is doing to keep people as safe as possible, given the circumstances, make me feel better about traveling there. FL still being a hot spot gives me pause.

But I rented DVC points and, if I don't go, I'm out a considerable amount of cash since the rental company won't offer refunds or credits unless WDW goes into full closure mode. And insurance doesn't exactly cover global pandemics or not wanting to travel out of safety concerns.

DVCakaCarlF

So I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll just put it here. There are several options being discussed with a decision due soon.

1. MK and MK resorts open only (most dire)
2. Rotating AK and DHS days open
3. Making Epcot an afternoon only park
4. Temporarily shutting down Future World entirely

I don't know of any plans at the moment to close all parks two days a week. It could be true, I just haven't heard that until this thread.
Why isn’t park hopper being opened up? Also, why the reservation system? I bet 1/2 of people don’t bother booking or book and no show cause their plans changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom