On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Rider

A recent cruise went out from Germany, very tight Covid precautions. Ship came back with many infected.
Was that TUI?

Thirty-six crew members have tested positive for COVID-19 onboard Hurtigruten's MS Roald Amundsen, currently docked in Tromsø, Norway, according to a statement provided by line spokesperson Øystein Knoph.

But the virus might not have been contained onboard. Potentially impacted passengers from two separate voyages had already disembarked a cruise on July 24 and the last cruise on Friday, leaving ample time for passengers to begin their voyages home and potentially spread the virus.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Thirty-six crew members have tested positive for COVID-19 onboard Hurtigruten's MS Roald Amundsen, currently docked in Tromsø, Norway, according to a statement provided by line spokesperson Øystein Knoph.

But the virus might not have been contained onboard. Potentially impacted passengers from two separate voyages had already disembarked a cruise on July 24 and the last cruise on Friday, leaving ample time for passengers to begin their voyages home and potentially spread the virus.

Thanks. TUI went out last week. Seems - so far, so good (for them). I believe MSC is giving it a go this month. Europe and the River Cruise Lines I think come back first.

celluloid

Okay then, you said that there were layoffs. So, what's your source?

You asked for corroboration to assist in satisfying your doubts. Then you said you did not know what would satisfy your doubts, and now you are asking for my specific source. More than three postings on here are alluding to that corroboration. I know it is the internet, but that is what you got. Giving you the source would be beyond that. I don't blame you for doubting it, but I am not going to give you the source. Universal has confirmed theirs. I have yet to see anything official from Disney yet.

bryanfze55

When Universal opened here in FL, they didn't come even remotely close... Now days, it feels like they're starting to give Disney a run for their money in part because they've really stepped up their game... and sadly in part, because Disney's apparently decided to meet them in the middle.

I agree that their new offerings are pretty much equivalent to each other. After all, Disney has basically decided they need to mimic Universal. It’s the stuff that Disney built before Universal was a serious competitor that sets them apart.

I was looking forward to Epic Universe. If Universal can find a way to replace some of their low-quality lands (Kidzone, Toon Lagoon) with concepts from EU, I think they could supplant WDW as the king of the East Coast. Right now, the guest experience at Universal is better, the hotels are better quality for the price, and the rides are equivalent. But Universal is still behind, on average, in the theming and atmosphere department.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It depends on the severance agreement on how present you will see it. If they were with the company long enough for that, they can absolutely have an agreement that they not work in the industry for the time. After notice, the employee typically has 21 days to decide if they agree to the terms or not. 7 days after signature to revoke. If you want to look at freelancers on LinkedIn for the more wet behind the ears crowd, you can do that too.
Non competes are essentially worthless in california - no company even bothers anymore. Given disney’s split location... i’d wonder if they try making separate rules for fl. And certainly wouldn’t spend the energy to enforce unless you are someone significant or it leads to some significant transfer of ip.

celluloid

[/QUOTE]
Non competes are essentially worthless in california - no company even bothers anymore. Given disney’s split location... i’d wonder if they try making separate rules for fl. And certainly wouldn’t spend the energy to enforce unless you are someone significant or it leads to some significant transfer of ip.

They are similar in Florida. Honestly, a court of law never holds NDAs from former employers with much power or regard.
Think of it more as the industry being a smaller circle than many realize, and if you break one with another, it will not bode well for those you run into in the future. The ultimate goal is to be hired again.

Heppenheimer

Not sure if this is relevant to other cruise lines, but Hurtigruten is more like an upscake ferry service than a destination cruise experience. For them to attempt an earlier re-opening is more justifiable than, let's say, Carnival or Princess since some people in Norway likely depend on their routes for transportation.

Lilofan

First, Phone call from HR. If you don’t answer, you receive a certified mail for a return date.
There could be a delay in actually laying off staff in companies that the workers impacted work from home. If all were working in the office, the layoffs can be done efficiently and orderly. To contact impacted ones by phone ( if they even answer the phone ) could be a challenge.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Two reasons:
1- A well integrated communications strategy that has made regular visits to Disney a rite of passage in the US (as well as other countries).
2- Making the parks more accessible to people that are a reasonably short drive away (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama) with monthly payment plans on annual passes

Did they used to have annual pass payment plans for those states? I can only ever remember them
Being available for Florida.

We live in GA and if we could get on a payment plan would have bought AP’s a long time ago.

CaptainAmerica

Two reasons:
1- A well integrated communications strategy that has made regular visits to Disney a rite of passage in the US (as well as other countries).
2- Making the parks more accessible to people that are a reasonably short drive away (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama) with monthly payment plans on annual passes
I would comment on "monthly payment plans for annual passes" but the last time I offered commentary on people making poor life decisions it didn't end well for me.

Lilofan

He knew how to save his salary. He was proud of the fact as he advised CNN media that he worked all day, worked out in the company gym in the morning and slept on his couch in his office every night Mon- Fri then saw his family on weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They are similar in Florida. Honestly, a court of law never holds NDAs from former employers with much power or regard.
Think of it more as the industry being a smaller circle than many realize, and if you break one with another, it will not bode well for those you run into in the future. The ultimate goal is to be hired again.

Agree. The only success a non-compete can attain is if the former employer attaches severance conditions with the non-compete. It won't stop somebody from applying/getting hired. But it may subject some of the severance that was given to a claw-back. But as has been said, this really only happens with a select few.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't expect that as publically as they are not the same. You have heard about them the same way you heard about the others when a company does not confirm it with a Press Release. Having groups of Creative newbies or graphic designers, painters, scenic artists, directors etc is not as juicy(and by its nature, just as not as many to hear from) as hundreds of a common workforce to a city or hundreds of front line workers. There are many furloughed and NDA layoffs you never hear about as commonly as large workforces.
Very expected to be honest...they usually start laying creatives off it looks like a recession is coming for more than 72 hours. It’s good to work for disney only in a boom...employees are deck chairs on the titanic otherwise
You asked for corroboration to assist in satisfying your doubts. Then you said you did not know what would satisfy your doubts, and now you are asking for my specific source. More than three postings on here are alluding to that corroboration. I know it is the internet, but that is what you got. Giving you the source would be beyond that. I don't blame you for doubting it, but I am not going to give you the source. Universal has confirmed theirs. I have yet to see anything official from Disney yet.
Usually we DO hear something...one of the LA or Orlando papers get ahold of it within a few days
[/QUOTE]
Really anywhere..:ndas are a deterrent...not really substantive. Like police cars sitting outside a high school parking lot in plain view.
Did they used to have annual pass payment plans for those states? I can only ever remember them
Being available for Florida.

We live in GA and if we could get on a payment plan would have bought AP’s a long time ago.
I think not having installments - as all their competitors do...is outdated and silly. Hubris...typical Disney.

Because I can pay the $4,000 (which is shocking anyway you slice it) doesn’t mean the psychology wouldn’t be better/more palatable to break it up.

But...there has been some discussion/questions in recent years if they even want an annual pass? We know iger’s mentality and there is little doubt he sees it as a “discount”

After all...there is always a line of people out front waiting to get in at full price?

Just like there’s a line to buy those $195 points at Caribbean...and there was a line to buy those $355 rack rooms at wilderness lodge in 2014...

Amma right?!?
I would comment on "monthly payment plans for annual passes" but the last time I offered commentary on people making poor life decisions it didn't end well for me.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a payment plan if it’s no interest. Just like it’s stupid to pay cash at a car dealer if it’s 0.0% financing. As my accountant would say: “they’re loaning you their money...take it”

Last edited:

Lilofan

It’s a 0% loan. Free money.

Unlike what Dave Ramsey says, as long as you can afford it, it’s not a poor decision.
Interest free loans are good if one is confident one can pay it off during the promotional period. I don't know a lot of people who are responsible enough to pay it off during the promo period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom