On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

celluloid

But I thought we were talking about Disney lay-offs.

NDAs don't require people to pretend they're still hired at a company. Their LinkedIn will surely be updated to looking for a new job.

It depends on the severance agreement on how present you will see it. If they were with the company long enough for that, they can absolutely have an agreement that they not work in the industry for the time. After notice, the employee typically has 21 days to decide if they agree to the terms or not. 7 days after signature to revoke. If you want to look at freelancers on LinkedIn for the more wet behind the ears crowd, you can do that too.

Last edited:

Disorbust

I have 2 adult kids working Disney corporate and neither have heard of anyone layed off recently. They both feel that there only a very select few that have any idea what the plans are and they are changing their minds by the hour. The uncertainty is stifling, both are not resigning their leases and just working remotely from "home" until they can get a sense of whats going to happen.

I have to give props to the CEO of Southwest who has been brutally honest about the airline being in "Intensive Care" but is not planning on any layoffs at least through the rest of the year. I wish Disney would be more transparent.

Lilofan

I have 2 adult kids working Disney corporate and neither have heard of anyone layed off recently. They both feel that there only a very select few that have any idea what the plans are and they are changing their minds by the hour. The uncertainty is stifling, both are not resigning their leases and just working remotely from "home" until they can get a sense of whats going to happen.

I have to give props to the CEO of Southwest who has been brutally honest about the airline being in "Intensive Care" but is not planning on any layoffs at least through the rest of the year. I wish Disney would be more transparent.
I know someone at Southwest. That's correct on what he advised. Staff are expecting layoffs beginning 2021. "Only a select few" is nice way of putting it. When the smoke clears, Disney will be a whole new organization.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I know someone at Southwest. That's correct on what he advised. Staff are expecting layoffs beginning 2021. "Only a select few" is nice way of putting it. When the smoke clears, Disney will be a whole new organization.

I would expect lay-off announcements starting October 1, based solely on that date being when airlines who took government $$$ couldn't lay anyone off until. I have a friend at Delta (where I used to work several years ago) who said they have 17k who took an early out package. Management could be looking for an additional 10k in involuntary layoffs beyond that.

Disorbust

Southwest basically called out their competitors that are planning layoff begining Oct 1 and that they will NOT be doing lay offs until they end of the year. They pride themselves on never having done a layoff which is unheard of in the airline industry.

Lilofan

Southwest basically called out their competitors that are planning layoff begining Oct 1 and that they will NOT be doing lay offs until they end of the year. They pride themselves on never having done a layoff which is unheard of in the airline industry.

Why would SW critic AA, UA etc in doing layoffs after Oct 1? The airlines got bailout money but had to be honest with their staff that if not enough folks take the buyout, there would be layoffs after Oct 1. United Airlines is expecting to layoff 46% of front line/salaried after Oct 1. The other person I know who works at UA did not take the buyout and is prepared for what may happen to him. Southwest to keep their team in the payroll until Dec 31 is noteworthy though. They have a good heart.

Nubs70

I just pray there isn’t a meaningful second spike. Yes, we had a trip and a cruise cancelled. Disappointing but hey. If Orlando has to go through this all over again, or worse, I don’t want to think what will happen, if it’s either well managed or mismanaged.
A recent cruise went out from Germany, very tight Covid precautions. Ship came back with many infected.

Dutch Inn '76

When Universal opened here in FL, they didn't come even remotely close... Now days, it feels like they're starting to give Disney a run for their money in part because they've really stepped up their game... and sadly in part, because Disney's apparently decided to meet them in the middle.

I've been going to WDW since the '70s, and its better now than it was then. Yes, they made some changes that I wish they had not made, (Mr Toad, gutting the Main Street shops...) but I understand why they made the changes, and they are entirely defensible. For the most part, the only bad change is the ridiculous cost.

To those of you who are new to WDW: yes, you've missed some great times there, but it's still a great place - and once we get through this Coronavirus disaster, it will be awesome again.

Dutch Inn '76

As someone who didn’t visit until 2015 and has been wrongly labeled as a “pixie-duster” before, I’ll say that I’m certain both Disneyland and WDW (but especially WDW) peaked long before I set foot in either.

The problem is, even if Disney falls so far short of what it could and should be - we live in a world of relativity rather than absolutism, and every other theme park on American soil pretty much sucks.

The good news is that WDW did not "peak" long ago. It is constantly evolving, and that evolution will bring changes good and bad - but like the stock market - you hope that you're moving up over time. I think WDW does that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can anyone corroborate that layoffs actually happened within the past few days? I'm not doubting that they could happen. But, we have insiders saying it's coming. One Insider saying it probably happened. And then someone saying it did happen. I just find it odd that there aren't more sources corroborating that layoffs happened in the past 2 days

Lilofan

Can anyone corroborate that layoffs actually happened within the past few days? I'm not doubting that they could happen. But, we have insiders saying it's coming. One Insider saying it probably happened. And then someone saying it did happen. I just find it odd that there aren't more sources corroborating that layoffs happened in the past 2 days
If Iger/Chapek uses "buzzwords" to describe during the Wall Street conference call this upcoming Tuesday and words like ongoing, underway, etc that should explain some things.

celluloid

Outside of a company offiical announcement, what would satisfy you? It is understandable that you doubt the people that have said it has likely happened or has happened because they have heard or know their sources are trustworthy on the matter. But outside of the official statement or stalking someone's linked in not under NDA would satisfy you? How would another poster on the internet statisfy?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Outside of a company offiical announcement, what would satisfy you? We get it, you doubt the people that have said it has likely happened or has happened because they have heard or know their sources are trustworthy on the matter. But outside of the official statement or stalking someone's linked in not under NDA would satisfy you? How would another poster on the internet would statisfy your answer?
I don't know, I was sort of expecting that we would hear about these layoffs like all the other layoffs we heard about. And in all those other cases it was considered common knowledge and many people corroborated it.

celluloid

I don't know, I was sort of expecting that we would hear about these layoffs like all the other layoffs we heard about. And in all those other cases it was considered common knowledge and many people corroborated it.

Don't expect that as publically as they are not the same. You have heard about them the same way you heard about the others when a company does not confirm it with a Press Release. Having groups of Creative newbies or graphic designers, painters, scenic artists, directors etc is not as juicy(and by its nature, just as not as many to hear from) as hundreds of a common workforce to a city or hundreds of front line workers. There are many furloughed and NDA layoffs you never hear about as commonly as large workforces.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Don't expect that as publically as they are not the same. You have heard about them the same way you heard about the others when a company does not confirm it with a Press Release. Having groups of Creative newbies or graphic designers, painters, scenic artists, directors etc is not as juicy(and by its nature, just as not as many to hear from) as hundreds of a common workforce to a city or hundreds of front line workers. There are many furloughed and NDA layoffs you never hear about as commonly as large workforces.

Okay then, you said that there were layoffs. So, what's your source?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom