On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

CaptainAmerica

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a payment plan if it’s no interest. Just like it’s stupid to pay cash at a car dealer if it’s 0.0% financing. As my accountant would say: “they’re loaning you their money...take it”
Okay first of all... If you're paying 0% interest on your car loan, you're paying a higher sales price than you could have otherwise negotiated. To get the lowest total cost, finance with the dealer at some higher interest rate and then pay off the whole thing 45 days later.

Second of all, there's a huge difference between people who can afford a purchase but CHOOSE to finance out of convenience versus people who CAN'T afford it and are suckered in by "low monthly payments."

DVCakaCarlF

Okay first of all... If you're paying 0% interest on your car loan, you're paying a higher sales price than you could have otherwise negotiated. To get the lowest total cost, finance with the dealer at some higher interest rate and then pay off the whole thing 45 days later.

Second of all, there's a huge difference between people who can afford a purchase but CHOOSE to finance out of convenience versus people who CAN'T afford it and are suckered in by "low monthly payments."
Negotiating the price of the purchase is not the same as negotiating the financing.

I always get to the price, and then negotiate the terms.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Negotiating the price of the purchase is not the same as negotiating the financing.

I always get to the price, and then negotiate the terms.

then you are cheating out sone info that can help you.

they get kickbacks for securing loans. The loans cost the dealer nothing... its profit for them. Profit they are could be counting when you are negotiating price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Wow...

You can negotiate the lowest price they’re gonna give you on a new car by pitting dealers against each other and still pay no interest.

And if you have the cash...you’re not gonna care too much about the trivial differences anyway.

And there isn’t that much play in a sticker anymore...the most you’ll get is dealer cash/incentives to drive quotas and those come with a tiny bit of patience.

You’re a car expert too? I have friends/acquaintances who work for Jag/Landrover, Audi, BMW, Toyota and Acura in fairly senior sales positions...can you call them up and tell them “how it is?” 🙄

As far as park passes goes...just like the CMs yesterday...you’re generalizing a huge market into all doing it the wrong way. We saw some complaining in March on the boards of “how am I gonna afford my pass if I lose my job?!?”

Yes...I agree with you. That show irresponsibility. But there’s not one size fit all their. I can pay my DVC dues in January in a transfer...or divided out 1/12 each month...
There’s no danger of the “check” bouncing and it costs the same. Only I can use the capital for more of the year in a payment plan.

wdwtopten

Here’s the difference: You don’t have to wear a damn mask when you go to a waterpark. The masks are the single most annoying thing that people absolutely hate for their vacations. If you get rid of the mask requirements when you are outside, everyone will come back fairly quickly. That’s why the national parks are doing such amazing numbers this year. That’s why water parks are doing well. No masks when outside.

I haven't read past page 1 so far, but the reason National Parks are "doing well" is because there is one within a few hours drive of almost anywhere. Flying is a nightmare now and most are not going to drive to WDW if they live, say, north of Tennessee or west of Alabama. That is why attendance is low, not the masks. Also, there is little to no international travel from overseas to the US now, so that hurts. It isn't the masks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The 0% interest plan is somewhat of a fallacy. It depends on how responsible the purchaser is. It is a fallacy to the extent that if you are using a credit card as your payment source and do not pay that balance off monthly you will be charged interest - just not from Disney.

If on the other hand you do pay the balance off monthly and/or tag it to a charge card like Amex and pay the bill in full - Then yes, it's an interest free plan.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

they get kickbacks for securing loans. The loans cost the dealer nothing... its profit for them. Profit they are could be counting when you are negotiating price.
Of course they get kickbacks...

But the consumer has the power...wait it out until you get a combination price and finance incentives you are happy with.

They have to move the car and you don’t have to take it. Fundamentally.

The worst thing anyone can do is be intent on driving off the lot and saying you need something or don’t want to draw it out. You’re dead right there.

Make them wait....they’ll come to you when the crunch is on...at least once a month.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The 0% interest plan is somewhat of a fallacy. It depends on how responsible the purchaser is. It is a fallacy to the extent that if you are using a credit card as your payment source and do not pay that balance off monthly you will be charged interest - just not from Disney.

If on the other hand you do pay the balance off monthly and/or tag it to a charge card like Amex and pay the bill in full - Then yes, it's an interest fee plan.
Well you have to be smart enough to plan and know what’s you’re doing...

...yes - I realize the flaw in my logic here 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To get off cars...

Disney would sell more APS if they did a monthly plan at no interest. It’s just that simple.

Very few Disney parks issues go back to the first week of the microeconomics supply and demand curve. This does.

The question really is: do they want to?

Regional parks live off APs...because the money is made off the other stuff and it guarantees attendance.

Universal has “straddled” the approach...in some ways encouraging them and also discouraging them strategically.

Disney has all but activitly discouraged them the last 5 years...if you follow the moves.

I don’t believe they want them.

DVCakaCarlF

Of course they get kickbacks...

But the consumer has the power...wait it out until you get a combination price and finance incentives you are happy with.

They have to move the car and you don’t have to take it. Fundamentally.

The worst thing anyone can do is be intent on driving off the lot and saying you need something or don’t want to draw it out. You’re dead right there.

Make them wait....they’ll come to you when the crunch is on...at least once a month.
That’s why I’ve bought all my vehicles on the last day of the month with two hours of closing.

DVCakaCarlF

To get off cars...

Disney would sell more APS if they did a monthly plan at no interest. It’s just that simple.

Very few Disney parks issues go back to the first week of the microeconomics supply and demand curve. This does.

The question really is: do they want to?

Regional parks live off APs...because the money is made off the other stuff and it guarantees attendance.

Universal has “straddled” the approach...in some ways encouraging them and also discouraging them strategically.

Disney has all but activitly discouraged them the last 5 years...if you follow the moves.

I don’t believe they want them.
The perks for an AP are minimal...you have to go 8-10 times to make it worth while.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The perks for an AP are minimal...you have to go 8-10 times to make it worth while.

That all depends. You also need to factor in the dining, merchandise discounts based on your spending pattern, along with possible AP room discounts. And if you drive - what the savings on parking would be. It may pay for itself in 4 visits - or it may take 10.

DVCakaCarlF

Helping them with what?

These places print money, and I don’t want to hear how “their losing money on this deal.”

I sold my truck to car max once for $13,000, and I thought I was robbing them when I made $2000.00 after paying it off.

Little did i know they were robbing me...it was on the lot the next day for $18,900.00.

That BS that they only make $300/car is a bold face lie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom