On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s what I said “gross,” and not “net.”

The overhead, I’m sure, is astronomical, but is a fixed cost and, at this point, it’s been capitalized. That monorail beam costs nothing compared to the fuel those buses use. Did you know they actually “lease” those tires?

And, with the amount of money that place makes, I bet they “made the summit of that mountain” in the first quarter of the fiscal year.
The overhead is huge and largely fixed. Which makes it hard to compare that compound to anywhere on earth...because it’s the only one of its kind.

It also makes their prospects in a severe, longterm travel disruption very precarious.

Good thing they have tons of cash.

People make the 9/11 comparison...please...things were back to normal within 2 weeks with only a regional disruption. It was the recession conditions before and after the incident that wrecked Disney parks at the time.

They circumvented the pain by and large in the housing crash...actual genius moves by Iger - even if longterm consequences.

Not much left in the tank to get around hardship this time.

DVCakaCarlF

The overhead is huge and largely fixed. Which makes it hard to compare that compound to anywhere on earth...because it’s the only one of its kind.

It also makes their prospects in a severe, longterm travel disruption very precarious.

Good thing they have tons of cash.

People make the 9/11 comparison...please...things were back to normal within 2 weeks with only a regional disruption. It was the recession conditions before and after the incident that wrecked Disney parks at the time.

They circumvented the pain by and large in the housing crash...actual genius moves by Iger - even if longterm consequences.

Not much left in the tank to get around hardship this time.
I agree that’s it hard to compare to another “conventional” business.

What is the current cash position?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Exactly. We live just over an hour away. AP holders. At least once a month visitors. As long as a mask is required , we aren't going. We have Beach Club ressies at the end of September. If the mask is still required, we will cancel.
You do you. You might want to let the AP’s lapse then, or cancel them for a prorated refund, as I don’t see Disney eliminating mask requirements from time.

TrainsOfDisney

If the WDW Resort Property is “just” making a profit with sports teams renting out entire resorts and using wide world of sports that should tell us how much the parks are losing.

Unless wdwmagic meant the parks and resorts are just making a profit on their own?

Brer Panther

Painted flats and massive unused spaces do not put guests into the world of cartoons.
Nor does simply parking the ride vehicle in front of a gigantic screen showing a cartoon. Why do so many recent trackless dark rides just park the ride vehicle in front of a screen for a good chunk of the ride?

Yet the birthday celebration and surrounding merch, even the POTC plush, looked like Iger’s Mickey.
How well did the plushes of Crack Addict Goofy sell?
1596160235223.png

So... this means the Splash overhaul is getting canned, eh?
Here's hoping.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree that’s it hard to compare to another “conventional” business.

What is the current cash position?
To be fair to the bobs...they went immediately to skanks of America and got a huge line of credit right when this started. Knowing what’s coming.

The also made another liquidity move several weeks back.

Disney is fairly conservative/well capitalized as well.

They are doing what they can...but their business other than a stream service is totally disrupted

Chef Mickey

I've spent the last few weeks wondering if there's also another component at play driving uncertainty in the travel market... as if Covid wasn't enough.

Never in WDW history has there been a time of widespread social unrest. It went mostly unnoticed due to the parks still being closed, but in early June WDW operations were modified by adjusting hours at the just-reopened Springs to respect the Orange county curfew in response to ongoing protests. If the parks had been open, highly visible adjustments in hours probably would have to have been made.

Without making this line of discussion overtly political, I think it's fair to say that we are all currently operating under a very heightened sense of uncertainty with regards too many issues here in America that have yet to be fully resolved. Covid is amplifying and precipitating some of these issues, but even without it there may have been measurable disruption already due to significant events of the past few months. Agree with it or not, one can not consider everything 'perfectly fine' with the American tourism industry - especially its international standing and stability - when key tourist destinations in our nations capital and other well-recognized cities continue to make dramatic international headlines with very graphic pictures involving protests and unrest.

WDW itself can probably itself be considered a well protected bubble from this 'real world' issue, I highly doubt any significant protest would have been allowed to occur on property... but the decisions and discussion regarding Splash and other socially 'awkward' attractions proves that the Walt Disney company considers these issues highly significant. Their motivations in 'doing something' are not only because of key personal ambitions to be on the right side of history, but are also likely driven by very real business motivations in telegraphing that Disney World is not really part of the "America" you're currently seeing in those uncomfortable pictures. As always, they would like to sell it as a safe place, both physically and culturally.

If Covid didn't happen, I believe there still would have been a softening of international travel specifically in response to the protests... and possibly a very rapid pull back in some segments of domestic and business travel as well. As we inch closer to certain key dates in our democratic process, I think there are very real questions on a lot of peoples minds over what exactly could happen, how some of this is going to play out, and possibly how close to home you'd prefer to be when it might. I don't know how this would have translated to summer vacation attendance at the parks, or if it would have made little more than a blip on fall & winter resort bookings... Frankly, it's uncharted territory just as much as Covid is.
Nothing matters in an significant sense to the economy besides Covid (among the issues you mentioned).

When the virus is more or less solved, Disney Parks will once again prosper like they have for the last 20 years.

Disney isn’t the issue. It’s completely related to the travel industry being in the toilet.

sbunit

People should stop looking at the current crisis through the lens of 'if they can get through this temporary lull because of COVID they'll be back to the 'before times'.' The absolute best-case scenario is that things return to normal and COVID gets a therapeutic that addresses the virus and ends it if caught. Are the odds like 5% of that happening? Feels like people are assuming like 95% probability of that happening which isn't realistic. There are a ton of varying scenarios ranging from worst-case all the way up to best-case where things are definitely not returning to non-mask, no restrictions, no attendance caps, etc. A fix would certainly be to lower the rack rate on rooms but DVC can't allow that to happen because the math behind the new contracts and contracts of the last few years would instantly break the sales pitch and upset your member base. The bending they've done to push food prices, room prices, ticket prices through the roof for 15 years puts them in a situation they likely won't surrender from anytime soon.

The vaccine is happening and it’s coming sooner than most people think. Whether it’s efficacy is successful or not will be irrelevant to the government. They need to correct the populations mindset and remove the fear in order to get everyone back to business as usual. I bet Disney realizes and is also banking on this by years end in hopes to get back to normal by mid 2021 at the latest

tirian

A year ago the “insiders” were popping in in similar fashion about what a dismal failure SWGE was because it wasn’t seeing the crazy attendance they were anticipating and how this would lead to bad times.

Then Rise of the Resistance opened and 10,000 people were lining up at 5 AM. Oh whoops, it turns out Disney was just being overly cautious about what -might- happen and blocked too many people from being able to go, and most were just waiting for the main attraction to open.

Not saying the current situation isn’t bad, or not a much bigger deal than the success or failure of a new land, but maybe give it more than two weeks for Disney to correct course before calling bankruptcy.

Again, it’s been two weeks.
I agree that we should be wary of people who claim to have inside knowledge, especially on fan forums. However, I’ve noticed that since many people (or their sources) have left WDW over the last few years, most alleged inside info is West-Coast based. Fan forums, including this one, rarely get gushing scoops on WDW news. Everything is clearly corporate.

Regarding SWGE, the land’s opening WAS a bust on the west coast. Yeah, the main problem was ROTR didn’t open on time. But other issues included bad IP decisions and overhype that scared people into expecting crowds. Disney course-corrected that a bit in Florida. That doesn’t change how the California opening was stunted, a fact that matches the west coast insider POV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom