On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

celluloid

Next week is Labor Day. Of course they'd extend hours

Yes, though with Uni prior to this and beyond this. A couple of weeks ago it was so busy they actually "force" extended Studios to close at 6 instead of its normal five. Nothing close to normal, but definitely a growth because of their adaptation to the situation such as Pass Member incentives and mainly the new ticket offering. Saturday and Sundays demanded the change including more dining open now on the weekends. For the last two weeks Saturday and Sundays have extended both parks an hour. A very small step.

Last edited:

celluloid

A lot of major schools (Purdue for one) don’t even treat the DCP as a real internship

Disney does not even treat it as a real internship. The ONLY requirement is that you are enrolled and completed a semester. There is no school recalling ability in place problem as mentioned above. Nothing is taken away. It is cheap seasonal labor. The student takes a semester or goes in their off track and comes back when it is over. It is the reason I would be nervous and definitely going with something else if I was a full timer furloughed from WDW right now.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Disney does not even treat it as a real internship. The ONLY requirement is that you are enrolled and completed a semester. There is no school recalling ability in place problem as mentioned above. Nothing is taken away. It is cheap seasonal labor. The student takes a semester or goes in their off track and comes back when it is over. It is the reason I would be nervous and definitely going with something else if I was a full timer furloughed from WDW right now.
I was under the impression that all full time CM's in positions that can be covered by the DCP have already been called back. Is this not true?

celluloid

I was under the impression that all full time CM's in positions that can be covered by the DCP have already been called back. Is this not true?

This would not be true. The majority of staff at a Walt Disney World park/resort hotel after 4pm is a part of the college program is the old line but really it can be anytime.
They have those DCP CMs at full avalibility when they hire and could theoretically put them wherever front of the line position they want for a season.
According to a round table last week at Soundstage 33 at Universal, Desantis had to be corrected as 85 percent and up of Universal TMs are back, but Disney's staff is not at that level yet.

Also, don't forget folks before all this things were going steady with the expansion of the program housing to have even more positions for CP.

Getachew

This would not be true. The majority of staff at a Walt Disney World park/resort hotel after 4pm is a part of the college program is the old line but really it can be anytime.
They have those DCP CMs at full avalibility when they hire and could theoretically put them wherever front of the line position they want for a season.
According to a round table last week at Soundstage 33 at Universal, Desantis had to be corrected as 85 percent and up of Universal TMs are back, but Disney's staff is not at that level yet.

Also, don't forget folks before all this things were going steady with the expansion of the program housing to have even more positions for CP.

85%? Didn’t they just do significant lay offs twice?

Getachew

Yes, though with Uni prior to this and beyond this. A couple of weeks ago it was so busy they actually "force" extended Studios to close at 6 instead of its normal five. Nothing close to normal, but definitely a growth because of their adaptation to the situation such as Pass Member incentives and mainly the new ticket offering. Saturday and Sundays demanded the change including more dining open now on the weekends. For the last two weeks Saturday and Sundays have extended both parks an hour. A very small step.

Disney is significantly busier on the weekends too, no?

celluloid

Disney is significantly busier on the weekends too, no?

Of course,I don't know specifics. If anything like Uni it is a large jump, but others have seem to say that it is nowhere near as much an increase. I presume so but the app and wait times seem to say not as much, hard to tell with all the variables. The descision to keep hours cut at Disney on the weekends and quick service options still closing or low seem to say otherwise. But then again, Disney has not offered a deal or budged their precieved value and so much of their live offerings are still not avalible.

celluloid

85%? Didn’t they just do significant lay offs twice?

I think you are confused. That would be an entirely different statistic. In a Furlough you are still employed, but not back to work yet. If someone says "this percentage of our employees are back to work" they are not speaking of layoffs. That is the statistic Disney and Uni reps brought up to correct Desantis. The statistic is pretty accurate. Uni over 85 Disney below it.

Getachew

In a Furlough you are still employed, but not back to work yet. If someone says "this percentage of our employees are back to work" they are not speaking of layoffs. That is the statistic Disney and Uni reps brought up to correct Desantis. The statistic is pretty accurate. Uni over 85 Disney below it.

i get that, but in UO’s two rounds of layoffs, did they lay off furloughed workers, or people they called back to work, or both?

Getachew

Of course,I don't know specifics. If anything like Uni it is a large jump, but others have seem to say that it is nowhere near as much an increase. I presume so but the app and wait times seem to say not as much, hard to tell with all the variables. The descision to keep hours cut at Disney on the weekends and quick service options still closing or low seem to say otherwise. But then again, Disney has not offered a deal or budged their precieved value and so much of their live offerings are still not avalible.

would be interesting to see a comparison of attendance

celluloid

i get that, but in UO’s two rounds of layoffs, did they lay off furloughed workers, or people they called back to work, or both?

If I recall right, no one that has been furloughed has been layed off at Uni. I have yet to see a source perosnal or media state that. There may be some crossover. The layoffs seemed to be of higher positions that were consolodated and or eliminated. If you are layed off by Uni you know right away. The 85 Percent for Uni stands to those they have told will be back as of now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A lot of major schools (Purdue for one) don’t even treat the DCP as a real internship
They shouldn’t. It’s not.

Which is why it’s brilliant on so many levels.
Yep...bout covers it.
Iger’s Alamo...what over 15 years of scheming has led to...

No discounts...no retraction...only as many as they want at as high of a price as they determine...for the glory of the Street.

That’s where we still are.

...maybe If people hadn’t spent the last five years filling their internet spies with repeated prophecies of how much they’d pay and how packed it would be...”for the 50th”?

Nah...that probably went unnoticed. 🙄

Lilofan

The parks were also great. It was nice to see people out at the parks and DS enjoying life. Things are starting to get back to normal here too. We tried to eat out Friday night. We gave up after four restaurants all had a one-hour wait. Granted we're still at 50% capacity, but it was good to see. Our numbers are falling like a rock without any draconian lockdowns.

In the last few months, we've had five new hotels open in our area. YIkes!! Obviously all planned before COVID. I hope the tourists come back.
The international tourists sure would like to come back. The problem is currently the border is closed.

Lilofan

If I recall right, no one that has been furloughed has been layed off at Uni. I have yet to see a source perosnal or media state that. There may be some crossover. The layoffs seemed to be of higher positions that were consolodated and or eliminated. If you are layed off by Uni you know right away. The 85 Percent for Uni stands to those they have told will be back as of now.
Isn't Orlando news reporting that more than 1K staff at UO resorts currently on furlough will be laid off? Those do not seem to be high level positions.

Getachew

I see. I know some part timers at Uni still furloughed.

Getachew

also, i dont believe they ever furloughed their full timers. I remember them saying they were paying 80% of their full timers salaries during closure. Now are most of those full timers still with the company after the two rounds of lay offs? Thats the question

celluloid

also, i dont believe they ever furloughed their full timers. I remember them saying they were paying 80% of their full timers salaries during closure. Now are most of those full timers still with the company after the two rounds of lay offs? Thats the question

They did not furlough full timers during the shut down. There are full timers furloughed now.
And yes, most are. Front of the line are the masses and those have not had layoffs.

techgeek

Isn't Orlando news reporting that more than 1K staff at UO resorts currently on furlough will be laid off? Those do not seem to be high level positions.

All over for Orlando, hotels are laying off meeting and banquet staff. Many of those are very highend, career positions that pay significantly better then working in the parks for either Disney or Universal.

At Universal, the entire reason Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls even exist is to serve convention and meeting business. The same can be said for the Hyatt’s, Hilton’s and Marriotts around town which include some of the largest meeting spaces in the country outside of Vegas. From first hand knowledge, many of these recent hotel layoffs are directly related to the complete evaporation of business travel. Leisure tourism is very much a secondary market for those properties.

At the moment, the buzz in the meeting industry is that we are starting to write off spring as well. When Covid hit in March, many of the Fortune 500 list put formal travel restrictions in place immediately through at least the summer. That was quickly extended through the end of the year. In the last few weeks, I’ve begun hearing and seeing ‘no earlier then April’ from some big names, and that’s if everything goes perfectly this winter. Conventions and meetings are typically planned 6-18 months in advance, so filling the calendar again is going to be a very slow process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom