Okay, Who’s Booking at Star Wars: Galactic Cruiser?

StarshipDisney

If done right it could be, Just like the murder mystery weekends at stately houses, Think Agatha Christie / Hercule Poirot not Tim Curry and Clue. There was one up by me in a stately house and garden which is run by a architectural/historic preservation trust and that was almost two grand for a weekend. My wife and her bestie will probably be the first to sign up for this.

I know some will pay the price at first. But I guess time will tell if this pricing is a sustainable business model and the hotel stays booked enough year round to keep it going.

NelsonRD

Fiscally responsible people know the value of a dollar and would easily see this not worth the price.

Seems like since this is not worth it to you, then nobody can find value in this, even if they can afford it?
Fiscally responsible means people who are financially independent, and spend within their means.
If somebody has the funds to do this without burden, why is that a bad thing?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Seems like since this is not worth it to you, then nobody can find value in this, even if they can afford it?
Fiscally responsible means people who are financially independent, and spend within their means.
If somebody has the funds to do this without burden, why is that a bad thing?
I never said it was a bad thing

NelsonRD

I never said it was a bad thing
You said that "fiscally responsible people know the value of a dollar and would easily see this not worth the price."
Meaning, if you choose to stay here, then you cannot be fiscally responsible, or are too uneducated to see this is not a good value.
In that case, Disney should remove all deluxe and moderate resorts in favor of more value resorts.

I am arguing wealth is not a bad thing, and if somebody has the means to do this, I applaud them, not demonize them.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You said that "fiscally responsible people know the value of a dollar and would easily see this not worth the price."
I did say that. You didn't understand the meaning. Meaning people smart with their money will not see the value of it. I never said wealth was a bad thing. I never said there was something wrong with those who do stay there.

Skibum1970

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't do this. While I enjoy immersive qualities at the parks, I never forget where I am (i.e. No theming will convince that I'm in space or actually in a Star Wars movie) and also don't intend to do something that really seems to be aimed at true Star Wars fans or children (or both). Plus, for that much money to spend on one trip, I would either do Hawaii or go overseas for much longer than two days.

I have a feeling that Disney is going to fill this resort up for the first year or two but I think reservations will start to wane unless they update or change the experiences, similar to how they added randomizing to Star Tours.

Skibum1970

I did say that. You didn't understand the meaning. Meaning people smart with their money will not see the value of it. I never said wealth was a bad thing. I never said there was something wrong with those who do stay there.
I honestly have a difficult time seeing how families will afford the cost for just two nights. It is definitely skewed towards those with either a lot of available credit or with plenty of discretionary cash. Like you, it doesn't bother me a bit that people will choose to do this and I hope that they fully enjoy it. It just doesn't interest me. My larger concern is that this is indicative of future Disney as they will start making their vacations more and more expensive than they already are.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Meaning people smart with their money will not see the value of it.

And I am arguing that there are people who are smart with their money, who have the means, and will see the value of it.

Absolutely agree, @NelsonRD . And very similar to the argument I was making a page or so ago.

I talked to a friend today who does not have a very high paying job, BUT is quite smart with his money. He just bought tickets to see the Rolling Stones this fall. Family of 3, $400. They will be sitting about 70 yards away, watching a group of men in their upper 70s playing music on stage for about 3 hours, with some fancy video screens and a few fireworks ($133 an hour for that entertainment). Personally, I think that is nuts - but he sees value in it and I respect that.

My daughter wants to buy herself an iWatch. She's been working for just over a year in a grocery store and has saved more than enough to afford it and still have a very healthy bank account. Personally I see absolutely zero value in that, but she has been smart with her money and does see value and I can respect that.

My family of three could spend 45 hours 'living' in the Star Wars universe for about $118 an hour (yes, the hours sleeping seem to be of slightly lesser value don't they). Not sure that we are actually going to do it, but I can see where we might see the value of it.

I tend to think that people who are smart with their money perhaps have a better understanding of the concept of splurging on a luxury item and what the actual (vs. perceived) worth of that expense is. We really only have a vague idea of what this experience will entail so to dismiss it outright as not worth the cost seems somewhat shortsighted to me. And to dismiss the idea that someone smart with their money might see value in it seems rather narrow minded. Obviously, @1HAPPYGHOSTHOST does not see a value in it but that doesn't mean that others won't - and even others who are smart with their money. Different strokes for different folks.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Absolutely agree, @NelsonRD . And very similar to the argument I was making a page or so ago.

I talked to a friend today who does not have a very high paying job, BUT is quite smart with his money. He just bought tickets to see the Rolling Stones this fall. Family of 3, $400. They will be sitting about 70 yards away, watching a group of men in their upper 70s playing music on stage for about 3 hours, with some fancy video screens and a few fireworks ($133 an hour for that entertainment). Personally, I think that is nuts - but he sees value in it and I respect that.

My daughter wants to buy herself an iWatch. She's been working for just over a year in a grocery store and has saved more than enough to afford it and still have a very healthy bank account. Personally I see absolutely zero value in that, but she has been smart with her money and does see value and I can respect that.

My family of three could spend 45 hours 'living' in the Star Wars universe for about $118 an hour (yes, the hours sleeping seem to be of slightly lesser value don't they). Not sure that we are actually going to do it, but I can see where we might see the value of it.

I tend to think that people who are smart with their money perhaps have a better understanding of the concept of splurging on a luxury item and what the actual (vs. perceived) worth of that expense is. We really only have a vague idea of what this experience will entail so to dismiss it outright as not worth the cost seems somewhat shortsighted to me. And to dismiss the idea that someone smart with their money might see value in it seems rather narrow minded. Obviously, @1HAPPYGHOSTHOST does not see a value in it but that doesn't mean that others won't - and even others who are smart with their money. Different strokes for different folks.

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Well stated! People place value on all types of things that others do not. That doesn't mean one person is more fiscally responsible than another. If someone doesn't see the value in doing the Star Wars resort that is fine but that doesn't mean others do and will save and experience it. By staying at or not staying at the Star Wars resort doesn't make anyone better than anyone else. Different strokes for different folks!

Ninja Mom

My 22 year old is a huge, and I mean HUGE Star Wars fan. Without telling him the price I sent him the description and asked if he would be interested in running around with like minded nerds.

I was shocked when he said he wasn't interested. I asked why and he said that at the conventions he gets to pick areas of interest and attend them. He said that this felt too regimented and he was concerned that the options might be more juvenile and not nuanced or entertaining enough for a cosplayer.

Then I told him what the price would cost and the amount of time that he got on the cruiser and he said he was definitely not interested and that for the same price, he could attend one of his conventions with a bunch of his friends and he would have money left over to put towards additional costuming and props.

He was especially put off by the price and the amount of time that you actually got on the ship. He didn't think his friends would consider going at that price and he said getting together with friends is the best part of going to things like this.

~NM

SteveAZee

And I am arguing that there are people who are smart with their money, who have the means, and will see the value of it.
I think so too. I think that being frugal and saving money and becoming financially stable and independent is mostly (though not completely) an intellectual or 'thinking' approach. What people do to enjoy or relax or indulge seems more of an emotional thing to do... what pleases the inner child or at least something that gives you the opportunity to let loose a little. We all have both sides to us... some with the two sides working together, some where one dominates the other, and some where the two sides are in conflict most of the time.

People are complicated. I don't think it will be difficult for Disney to find people who have the resources to stay here and also want the fantasy of living in that universe for a couple of days.

dovetail65

I can not find any way to justify the cost of this experience. As someone already stated, the money spent on this 2 night/3 day experience could easily buy you at least a weeks worth of enjoyment at Disney or Universal. There are only 3 star wars fans in my family of 5... how do I waste a huge amount of money on 3 of us and not the other ? That means I have to spend even more money to accommodate the 2 family members that are not doing the star wars hotel experience. Sounds like a massive headache and a giant bottomless pit for my money. No way.... can't do it.

Now if I win power ball with a huge jackpot then I"ll look in to this. ;)
Yes it expensive but thinking about it I have spent 1500.00 per ticket for front row concert seats that was 3 hours. If I go with 4 people that is two days for that 1500.00, not 3 hours dealing with 50 thousand people pressing up on my back. So though my wife resoundingly will say no, like the concerts she probably won't ever know what it cost as I would talk my way around it.

So maybe we will go, but we have years to decide. Some things are better when they first come out, but some things need be tweaked. For me I am not so sure I would want to pay to be the guinea pigs, I will let others do that and continue to use that money on 365 day including parking AP's for now.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

What about fiscally responsible hard working people?
I'm a fiscally responsible, hard working person and I'm priced out. I'm sure the price will make many in my income level think very hard over whether its within their vacation budget range. I'm one who doesnt normally let prices stop me from doing what I want. I'll work harder, make more money, make sacrifices and budget until I reach my goal. I very rarely balk on getting what I want. When they released the prices I gulped hard and immediately rethought how much I wanted this and the worth of what I'd get for the money.

mf1972

assuming 1 goes all in on it & does the entire immersive 2 day experience…i still can’t justify spending that much. to me, it’s 2 days you’re in disneyworld without hitting the parks, going on rides, shopping & dining. i just don’t think it’s worth it.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Correct. I see no value in it.

DBF John

Who ??? Disney big wigs, Celebrities, millionaire politicians, foreign dignitaries, company CEO's and executives, Club 33 members, recent lottery winners, those who came into an inheritance windfall, those who can afford VIP tours, spoiled rich kids, those who arrive to their resorts in limos.... but sadly NOT MEEEEEE!!!😭😭😭
I guess Golden Oak residents get to have their very own attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom