OH NO! Total Novice Heading To Disney World

MILI48184

Been waiting for this chance for years and now the time to book is here, but I am totally overwhelmed! Found this site and hope some kind guidance might be had. Want so much to stay at Grand Floridian in the fall, contacted AAA and received what seems to be a good rate (room only), but I fear that if The Disney Gods make an offering later this year, I will be stuck in AAA Hades. Do I wait, do I book, or am I going about this all the wrong way (but of course I am!) Key word here is HELP! Much thanks to all for your kind consideration and for not laughing to loud.

britdaw

Welcome to the board, and YAY for your first trip!

I would call the number on the Disney site to talk to one of their reps to see what they suggest. I'm sure there will be new promos and things coming out soon, and I'd hate for you to get screwed on the rates and stuff. :\

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi and congrats on your first trip and for finding WDWMagic. This site will be a HUGE help!!! You are correct to be concerned if an offer is forthcoming, will that automatically be applied to an existing reservation. The answer is sometimes and it is completely dependent on who you book with. I can tell you all of the agents with Kingdom Konsultant do this routinely. Most other Authorized Disney Vacation Planner agencies will do so as well, again dependent on the agent. AAA is in this category but as they have so many agents it is tough to know if the particular person you are dealing with is up to speed or not. With AAA it seems to be luck of the draw, some agents are great, some arent. If you book with Disney, the answer is they will apply it for you BUT only if you call and ask for it. If you dont call, the reservation will stay exactly as you booked it initially. If you'd like give us a call at 1866-566-7858 and speak to any one of our agents. Let us see what we can do for you. Hope this is helpful!! Marie

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Been waiting for this chance for years and now the time to book is here, but I am totally overwhelmed! Found this site and hope some kind guidance might be had. Want so much to stay at Grand Floridian in the fall, contacted AAA and received what seems to be a good rate (room only), but I fear that if The Disney Gods make an offering later this year, I will be stuck in AAA Hades. Do I wait, do I book, or am I going about this all the wrong way (but of course I am!) Key word here is HELP! Much thanks to all for your kind consideration and for not laughing to loud.

Congrats on your trip and welcome to the boards! :wave: In my opinion - I only book through WDW directly. I have heard too many horror stories about going through a 3rd party. Now, if I was to book through a 3rd party - I would book through Kingdom Konsultants. They will not only be a great source of info but they are so friendly and helpful all the time!!! You can find them here on the boards. They can find the best current rate for you. The reason that I always book directly through Disney is in case I have to cancel or rebook and I just feel more comfortable going through them. If you book now - through WDW directly - and a better deal comes up later, you can cancel and rebook. Its a pain but worth it!! One year I had a trip all planned and paid for and then I got a pin code for the time that we were going to the parks. So I called up and spoke to a Cast Member and they handled the entire switch applying the new pin code.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Welcome & congrats! :wave:

I only book directly through Disney now, but I did book my honeymoon with AAA. I had always stayed off property, and since it was my first time staying on property I didn't know what to do either. I was already paying for a AAA membership so I decided I may as well use it.

Anyways, they did get me the best room rate, and later on down the line Disney DID put out an offer & AAA did apply it for me. This was in 2008, so I don't know what their procedure is now but I doubt it's different. I'm almost positive that any Disney deals that come out better than what you already have booked will be applied even if you're using AAA. Ask your agent for confirmation - but I think you're safe. :)

Upvote 0

kstella

Good luck with your first trip. Try not to get too stressed with the planning process because it might spoil some of your enjoyment of the trip! GF is a beautiful resort, but if money is an issue, perhaps you might want to consider going down a step to a moderate.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

:wave: Welcome to the best Disney boards! It's also my opinion that the best way to go with booking is directly through Disney. What are your dates? I have booked trips way in advance before and when a great deal came up during my trip time I called and had it applied no problem! I would think Fall offers should be coming out within the next couple months, they just put out a summer offer. grand Floridian is a fabulous choice and if it can fit in your budget go for it!! Your next major step after booking your resort will be your ADRs....dining reservations. So get a move on and happy planning....it's half the fun!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

Welcome,

A little advice is to purchase a copy of the Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World as do a little homework. This book should help you in your planning.

Good Luck

Upvote 0

Ariel484

Welcome! :wave:

We booked our honeymoon through AAA and initially got a small room discount. A few weeks later a GREAT discount was released - the Buy 4/Get 3 nights free deal. I read about it on these boards, called AAA to see if they could change our reservation, and found that the agent we were working with had already applied the discount! She was on top of it. As others have said, you can also book through Kingdom Konsultants - I've never booked with them personally but I know they are very active on these boards, very knowledgeable, and are usually the first ones to inform us of any new discounts.

Also, I'll second the recommendation on getting a copy of the Unofficial Guide. Just read that thing and you'll be set.

Happy planning! I know it seems overwhelming, but I think ultimately you'll find it's fun! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

PineapplePrincess

I suggest contacting Kingdom Konsultants. Although I generally like to plan my own trips, I used them for a very special trip. They will automatically apply discounts, and make your dining reservations. All you have to do is relax and enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

moonchild925

I have always booked through AAA without a problem and have had them apply newer discounts automatically but a quick call to confirm that they had was all I did on my end. In my experience they are the cheapest way to go. I definetly think the unofficial guide will be a great resource for you and I also HIGHLY recommend "The Hidden Magic of WDW" enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

onesandzeros

You never forget your first trip to WDW. I agree with wannabeBelle regarding AAA. I’ve been to WDW many times and felt I knew more than the AAA agent. I’ve also used the AAA discount through calling Disney direct and asking for it. IMO finding a Authorized Disney Vacation Planner is a great way to go. I found a terrific planner through the mousesavers.com website. These Planners will monitor your reservation and let you know if a new special becomes available. I have found WDWMAGIC and mousesavers great sources for planning and up-to-date information. My best advise for a first timer …. don’t try to see and do it all. It will ware you out!!! Take your time and enjoy each experience. Hopefully if you liked WDW, a second trip will be in your future to see those attractions missed on the first.

Upvote 0

DaGoof00

I only typically book through the WD Travel Co. But I know many who have used AAA as well as Kingdom Konsultants. I would scope out the spectrum. Grand Floridian is a great choice! This will be our fourth year staying there! You won't be disappointed.

Feel free to message me if you want any tips on the Grand.

Welcome to the boards!

Upvote 0

tribals

Birnbaum's Walt Disney World book helped us out a lot as 2010 was the first time we have been to WDW. We booked through Disney and it was painless and made everything so much easier.

First time seems like a learning experience when you get to the parks, but you'll learn quick!:king:

Upvote 0

baanman

Congrats on your first visit!

If going with kids, I recommend buying a book titled "Wald Disney World with Kids" by Kim Wright Wiley. This helped us out greatly and took a great deal of stress away. Also, these discussion boards are great references as well.

176 Days & Counting until next visit!!

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK53

Congrats on your first trip!

My first order of business is with Birnbaum's.

Birnbaum's gives a great overview of the offerings...but they are the "Official" guide...so they are very biased.

Grab a copy of the Unofficial Guide and it will help on a level that's at the best interest of the traveler...not the best interest of Disney.

Don't get too overwhelmed. As long as you get your priority seatings in order...(and do them as soon as possible especially if you want a hot-ticket dining experience (Cinderella's Royal Table, Le Cellier, etc.). My rule of thumb is character meals. If there are certain characters that you definitely want to see, make a reservation at a character meal that has the character (that way you don't have to wait in line while you're in the parks).

If you're going with little ones...take it easy. Don't try to see everything, because you won't...and it'll just exhaust you if you try. Make a list of must-sees and then use the rest as "filler."

Sure, you need to plan...but don't plan so much that you can't relax. Remember, it's a vacation!

Upvote 0

need2go2wdw

The guide books were instrumental in my WDW knowledge before my first trip, and actually all trips since. I first went to WDW in 1997. I was only 19 and went with my family. Had no clue about the place and we didn't even see much. About a year later I started reading a Birnbaum book. I think I read it cover to cover a couple times and then started getting the new book every year and reading that too. By the time my DH and I went there on our honeymoon in 2000, I knew more about the attractions, hotels and restaurants then any person who had never even experienced most of those things should know!!! Over the years, I still bought guide books, some Birnbaum, some others, and still read them, cover to cover. It will take some time to become as "familiar" with WDW as most people on this board are, but you will definitely get there with research!

The nice thing is, with as much as I know about WDW and as much as we've experienced there over the years, there are still things I learn about it all the time and still things we haven't experienced. The learning never stops, which makes it that much more magical! :)

:wave:

Upvote 0

MILI48184

Original Poster
Still Overwhelmed, but for a good reason

Hello: Yep...still overwhelmed by Disney Planning...but I'm more overwhelmed and happily so by the kind responses from the members on this site. Truth is I'm in the military and coming home and going to Disney will be a dream come...each of your kind responses has made home seem a little closer...thank-you all!!!

Upvote 0

onesandzeros

Hello: Yep...still overwhelmed by Disney Planning...but I'm more overwhelmed and happily so by the kind responses from the members on this site. Truth is I'm in the military and coming home and going to Disney will be a dream come...each of your kind responses has made home seem a little closer...thank-you all!!!

Thank you for your service and welcome home!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom