Oga's Cantina at Disney's Hollywood Studios

danheaton

To give an update, I was able to find a 10:25 a.m. reservation for 9/7 today. There also are a lot of times later in the day. I was hoping for breakfast since I'll be getting there before 6 a.m., but this is the earliest I've found so far. I think that yesterday was a glitch; there was absolutely nothing last night.

TP2000

I know it doesn't help your situation, but the venues have very low capacity. It really wouldn't take much for them to be filled. Even with low crowds in the park, Oga's would easily be at capacity nearly all the time.

This is the root of the problem. Oga's has a relative capacity of about 100 customers at a time, with most of those standing only. There are only a half dozen small banquettes that seat six, with smaller parties placed with smaller parties to fill all six seats in each banquette.

That's a daily capacity for Oga's of less than 2,000 customers over a 16 hour operating day. That means that Oga's can't even handle the daily guest occupancy of the 1,100 rooms of the Contemporary Resort, much less the other 25,000 hotel rooms on property.

Oga's is small and cramped, with mostly standing room only. It would be a great venue for a theme park that only got one or two million visitors per year. But for a theme park complex that gets tens of millions of visitors per year, not so much.

Who approved a very small Cantina I wonder? :oops:

ToTBellHop

This is the root of the problem. Oga's has a relative capacity of about 100 customers at a time, with most of those standing only. There are only a half dozen small banquettes that seat six, with smaller parties placed with smaller parties to fill all six seats in each banquette.

That's a daily capacity for Oga's of less than 2,000 customers over a 16 hour operating day. That means that Oga's can't even handle the daily guest occupancy of the 1,100 rooms of the Contemporary Resort, much less the other 25,000 hotel rooms on property.

Oga's is small and cramped, with mostly standing room only. It would be a great venue for a theme park that only got one or two million visitors per year. But for a theme park complex that gets tens of millions of visitors per year, not so much.

It’s fine as a bar. If only there were a TSR...

DCLcruiser

It's a bar... If you have small kids you probably won't/shouldn't go, so they don't need a huge capacity. I do agree that a larger restaurant is needed, granted you have the DB7 QS.

po1998

In a WDW era where everything revolves around squeezing every last nickel out of the guests(eat, drink & shop), I am shocked they would have made it this small....especially to the point where you need a reservation to even get in the door in order to look around or have a drink.

Not sure of the location within SWL, but I wonder if there is space on any side of it for possible expansion?

Just me, but I dislike dining reservations at WDW, so it is safe to say, I will not be making a reservation for a drink. LOL

The_Jobu

In a WDW era where everything revolves around squeezing every last nickel out of the guests(eat, drink & shop), I am shocked they would have made it this small....especially to the point where you need a reservation to even get in the door in order to look around or have a drink.

Not sure of the location within SWL, but I wonder if there is space on any side of it for possible expansion?

Just me, but I dislike dining reservations at WDW, so it is safe to say, I will not be making a reservation for a drink. LOL

The optics would be bad if Disney's new hype place was half empty. Keeping crowded makes it an "experience " for people instead of just mediocre drinks.

po1998

The optics would be bad if Disney's new hype place was half empty. Keeping crowded makes it an "experience " for people instead of just mediocre drinks.
I think the optics are even worse for the guest in SWL, who wants to stop in for a drink, only to find out they needed to make a reservation 6 months prior to get into a "bar"...even a themed bar. Not a sit down restaurant, not a character meal...a bar.

The_Jobu

I think the optics are even worse for the guest in SWL, who wants to stop in for a drink, only to find out they needed to make a reservation 6 months prior to get into a "bar"...even a themed bar. Not a sit down restaurant, not a character meal...a bar.

That would be logical, but it's the mystery of hype. Something is rare should inherently be fought for. Clubs do this all the time keeping a big long lineup outside while the inside is half empty.

ToTBellHop

No. That makes you want to return. And at this point, the newbie without reservations would be used to missing out since everything, everywhere is reserved.

I would bet due to the lack of signage, most won’t even know what Oga’s is if they don’t have an ADR.

Capsin4

It’s a weird mix of exclusivity and living Star Wars. How can they expect masses of people to knock the doors down to experience living in Star Wars, but know they’ll turn away a ton of people from an iconic setting?

Couldn’t they just build two or three of the things and present them as one? One entrance and even if you’re aware there are multiple rooms, you don’t see them and don’t have access to them.

Never mind it’s a setting they invented and there’s no reason to make the bar mirror the one in mos eisley. Not that literally.

DCLcruiser

This ADR is basically an extra FP for a 45 minute attraction (similar to Ellen UOE or Indiana Jones). One that most families will not want to participate in since it's a bar.

Kamikaze

Capacity at Oga's at DLR is 276. Listed outside the door because of fire code. The two are identical. Assuming 25 or so CMs, that leaves 250 guests. Full turnover is supposed to happen every 45 minutes, which means in an hour you're doing 250 + 1/4 of that. Call it 300 guests per hour because its easy enough to stay over. 300 x 16 hours is 4800 guests. Still way underbuilt but not as bad as your numbers.

Mickeyboof

Capacity at Oga's at DLR is 276. Listed outside the door because of fire code. The two are identical. Assuming 25 or so CMs, that leaves 250 guests. Full turnover is supposed to happen every 45 minutes, which means in an hour you're doing 250 + 1/4 of that. Call it 300 guests per hour because its easy enough to stay over. 300 x 16 hours is 4800 guests. Still way underbuilt but not as bad as your numbers.

That is maximum capacity, which is often greater than what is the true load.

Take a theatre with 1,000 seats. The maximum capacity will always be higher than 1,000 persons.

25 Cast Members? I saw four.

Kamikaze

That is maximum capacity, which is often greater than what is the true load.

Take a theatre with 1,000 seats. The maximum capacity will always be higher than 1,000 persons.

25 Cast Members? I saw four.

Theres a prep bar in the back. There are always at least 3 people behind the bar and 5 on the floor. Thats minimum staffing. We happened to know one of the CMs that transferred to Lamplight to Oga's. They are pretty much always well north of 200 people in the place.

Mickeyboof

Theres a prep bar in the back. There are always at least 3 people behind the bar and 5 on the floor. Thats minimum staffing. We happened to know one of the CMs that transferred to Lamplight to Oga's. They are pretty much always well north of 200 people in the place.

The place seems has been run on minimum staffing 16 hours a day!

200+ people really seems a bit more than what the space is pulling currently.

TP2000

Yeah, we had this discussion earlier this summer in the Disneyland forum, as there's a 276 fire capacity sign in Anaheim too.

The actual operating capacity is about 100, and even that is really tight. There are 36 seats in banquettes, eight high top tables, and the horseshoe bar.

For instance, we used this photo below to discuss that there are 86 actual customers shown in this panoramic photo, and we got to 86 by assuming every banquette not shown had six people sitting down. The six CM's shown are not being counted.

86 people, and every seat is taken and every inch of the bar is full. Add in an extra dozen off camera, or maybe bending down to tie their shoe, and you've got 100 people in a crowded Cantina.

The 86 includes the toddler at the lower right perched on the bar learning about cocktail science. :rolleyes:
ogas-cantina-galaxys-edge-5.webp

Here's an even wider perspective, taken on a different night. I count 51 customers in this photo standing at the bar and counters. Add in 36 people unseen sitting in banquettes, and you've got 87 customers in this photo. The four CM's shown are not being counted. Now add another baker's dozen customers unseen or picking up change off the floor and that gets you to 100 people.
ogas-cantina-review-interior-1-1024x682.jpg

You could maybe give or take ten people, but 100 customers at a time seems to be the fairly crowded average for Oga's Cantina.

Pierrelucas

Hey everyone I have a reservation for 1:30 pm on opening day. If the land is overcrowded di you think I'll be able to enter the land anyway to access the bar?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom