Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

007mickey

A) There is NO more need for fastpass runners. The Band eliminates that "experience" That's a plus I would think

B) "a sweaty plastic band"? That is your gripe? Then don't wear it. Clip it on your belt or bag. Or use the plastic card option. FYI, my 11 yr old son has barely taken off his cool "sweaty plastic band" since we got home in December. As a dad, I love that...His Disney Experience hasn't ended yet. Another HUGE plus for me and him

C) The Magic Band DOES NOT "limit you to three rides a day". You can ride how many rides you want. It ALLOWS you to schedule your day and give you an opportunity to ride your three favorite rides quickly, which then allows you to enjoy the rest of the afternoon at whatever park you are in that day. Another Pus for me

If you choose not to use Disney's band, don't wear it. Don't schedule FB+. Don't download the My Disney Experience App. I'm sure Harry Potter will be a Magical Experience for you....

I want to ask you a few questions but first I want to say that I have used the band and have no issues with it. My issues are with the new FP+ system.

Under the old system, did you use more than 3 FP per day? Does your family like some attractions so much you would grab an another FP for it again later in the day? Did you purchase park hopper tickets? If you answer no, then you will love the FP+. If you answer yes, then the FP+ is a bit of let down. Oh, I have been to Harry Potter and found it to be loads of fun.

WDWDad13

Does your family like some attractions so much you would grab an another FP for it again later in the day?

interesting thought there... I know many people who for instance rush to TSMM while someone else in their family grabs some FP's for later in the day... and then ride it again using the FPs. Without this happening now... the lines should be shorter (and the mad dash of danger in the morning should be reduced)...

Voxel

President of Progress City
I want to ask you a few questions but first I want to say that I have used the band and have no issues with it. My issues are with the new FP+ system.

Under the old system, did you use more than 3 FP per day? Does your family like some attractions so much you would grab an another FP for it again later in the day? Did you purchase park hopper tickets? If you answer no, then you will love the FP+. If you answer yes, then the FP+ is a bit of let down. Oh, I have been to Harry Potter and found it to be loads of fun.
You have a point on this. With the old system during my last trip to Disney we got 6 Fastpasses over 5 days in the park and only actually used 5 of them.

Figaro928

It had been about six years since we had visited WDW under the old system. (again LOVED the new system)

Honest questions- How many FP ticket did one actually use in one day- about? I seem to remember that you were not allowed to get a new ticket until after the return time on an old ticket had passed. Is that right?

Voxel

It had been about six years since we had visited WDW under the old system. (again LOVED the new system)

Honest questions- How many FP ticket did one actually use in one day- about? I seem to remember that you were not allowed to get a new ticket until after the return time on an old ticket had passed. Is that right?
Correct. You use to have 'unlimited' fastpasses but you could only get a new one after your time slot started for the fast pass you already hold. I believe they made modifications to that system at some point but not sure how.

Figaro928

Correct. You use to have 'unlimited' fastpasses but you could only get a new one after your time slot started for the fast pass you already hold. I believe they made modifications to that system at some point but not sure how.

Playing devil's (meg's) advocate here: So by that logic you would have to run up to TSMM at 10 am and let's say the FP return time was 4:00 . You wouldn't be able to get a new FP til four right? So at 4 15 you would run over to TOT and IF there where any left you'd grab another one.

With the new system (when it's working) you would know going into the park that you have a 4:00 FP return time. you don't need to wait on a line for a paper return time and now you can stay away from that crowded park of the park until your ready to return.

Again, just playing devil's advocate

Playing devil's (meg's) advocate here: So by that logic you would have to run up to TSMM at 10 am and let's say the FP return time was 4:00 . You wouldn't be able to get a new FP til four right? So at 4 15 you would run over to TOT and IF there where any left you'd grab another one.

With the new system (when it's working) you would know going into the park that you have a 4:00 FP return time. you don't need to wait on a line for a paper return time and now you can stay away from that crowded park of the park until your ready to return.

Again, just playing devil's advocate
No, if you had a return time very late in the day, then you had to wait 2 hours before you could get another fp. They didn't make you wait until 4. They would put the time you could get another fp on the bottom of the paper fp.

Voxel

No, if you had a return time very late in the day, then you had to wait 2 hours before you could get another fp. They didn't make you wait until 4. They would put the time you could get another fp on the bottom of the paper fp.
This is the change they implemented. I just forgot how long the time was. Still say you can get a FP every two hours then you will 3 maybe 4 on a normal day.(By the times the machines are down) On busy days maybe 2/3.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Are you sure about that example? I'm pretty sure the "Behind the Seeds" tour has had an upcharge for a long, long time (maybe as long as it's been offered). Not that it would surprise me if they did start charging for something that was formerly free...

Absolutely it was free in 2009 and if you check the unofficial guide and passporters back then both recommended the free tour - I've done both the free and paid versions so I know it was free

maxairmike

This is the change they implemented. I just forgot how long the time was. Still say you can get a FP every two hours then you will 3 maybe 4 on a normal day.(By the times the machines are down) On busy days maybe 2/3.

On less busy days the time printed on the bottom could go as low as 45 minutes. That was variable based on demand and crowd levels (mostly crowd levels).

Voxel

On less busy days the time printed on the bottom could go as low as 45 minutes. That was variable based on demand and crowd levels (mostly crowd levels).
Good note there. I typically don't use fastpasses on less busy days so I never not that. I still have a sad feeling when I get fastpasses that I end up not needing or not using.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here is the banner ad - even though FP is history they are still calling this a TEST

LipstickOnPig.JPG

WDWFan_Boston

I'll be using MM+ next month. I have to admit, as a hyper-planner, I like the system. I understand why it may rub others the wrong way.

On the plus side for me, we already have FP for TSMM, which we NEVER have gotten in half a dozen visits to HS because we are not rope drop people. So for us, it's been good so far. I'll reserve final judgement on the implementation of the system for when I return.

RSoxNo1

It is rare. The one exception I can think of is the last show of Idol at the Studios, where showing up 5 minutes early may not get you in during holidays and other busy times. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Can Fantasmic also be included in that or can you typically walk into that 5 minutes before as well?

Buried20KLeague

I didn't say I thought the likes were real, I know it is not. I said Disney will use it. It is called "Spin". You are attributing what I said about Disney to me.

I am sure that CM's do not like the situation. But most people do not like the decisions their upper management are making at work. I am just stating an objective opinion as to why Disney is using this new system. Everyone is taking it personally as Disney is against them. Disney isn't against them. Disney is making a business decision. We may not like that decision but business' do not make all decisions based on their customers. Look at the airline merger with US Air and American. They cancelled some AmEX card perk that customers were paying a $400 annual fee. Not good for those customers,but good for the airline to save money. Disney is doing the same thing. Disney is a business and they will make business decisions. Some of these decisions will alienate some customers, WDW is kind of unique because most of their customers are one timers anyway. Families who have saved up for that one time family vacation. Yes, there are repeat customers or there wouldn't be boards such as this. From what I am hearing most of the feedback on this new system is positive so I do not see it going away.

I'm not sure using an airline (struggling to stay afloat) is a good analogy to use when comparing to Disney's Parks Division. One has to make difficult business decisions to ensure they avoid bankruptcy. The other is moving to make their already obscene margins "10% higher" (their words, not mine). It's perfectly understandable for one to view moves made by the airline as frustrating but understandable given their situation, yet view MM+ completely differently (in the negative). I absolutely consider motive when thinking about the two. I don't consider all profit/money the same, regardless of position. And that's coming from someone that owns a few telecom companies.

GrumpyFan

NEWS FLASH! For all who are complaining, and/or just don't like FP+/MB/MDE, they didn't create it for us, the 1-2%ers who go to Disney at least once every 2 years. Disney knows that regardless of what they do, we'll probably come back again and again and again. And, even if we don't, we make up a very small percentage of their guests, so it's not a big deal.

They have created this for the other 90-98% of their guests who only come once every 6-10 years (according to Jim Hill) or once in a lifetime. These are their target guests. These are the ones they're trying to convince to come back more frequently, and spend more money when they do come. These are their loudest, most unhappy guests who complain that they spent "thousands of dollars", "traveled xxx miles/hours", and "stood in line for hours to see some stupid mouse". These guests, who haven't been very often, have an expectation that they will be able to see and do everything and they're kid will have a great time. But, it doesn't work out quite that way, which leads them to spend less, go home angry, complain to their friends and neighbors and not come back for years, if ever. Their friends and neighbors take this to heart as well, and they avoid Disney, or at the least, they have a negative view as well, even before they decide to go.

So, what to do? Create a system where guests can be virtually guaranteed a spot in line for Space Mountain or to see Mickey Mouse with little to no wait whatsoever. By offering such a system, it helps ensure guest satisfaction, which leads to more spending, and perhaps even a return trip in less than 6 years.

Sure, the system creates problems and frustrations for those like us, who have been more times than we can count, and know our way around the parks blind-folded. Because, now, we can't use our "tricks" to get more rides in or take advantage of the fact that others don't know how to avoid the crowds like we do, but Disney doesn't really care about trying to win us, they know they already have us. And, we don't represent the growth market they're after. We're just, crazy, weird, un-happy fan boys who will never be pleased no matter what they do, but still we'll come back.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the new system either, but I can live with it. The casual way which we've toured the parks in recent years didn't really allow us to take advantage of more than 3 FP any way, so that's not a big deal to us, except when we park hop, but hopefully that will be added in the future. Outside of the advanced reservations I don't see how the MagicBands necessarily make things any different or offer anything that's significantly better than what we had before.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Actually I was one of many people using the app who weren't on the magic band back in December. The app it self has a few ui/interface bug but works very well and was upto date letting us now rides broke down or when they were open again.

Its the gestalt taken as a whole, not individual pieces. The smartphone app isnt anything special, there have been websites with current ride status way before Disney had thier own application.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom