Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

NEWS FLASH! For all who are complaining, and/or just don't like FP+/MB/MDE, they didn't create for us, the 1-2%ers who go to Disney at least once every 2 years. Disney knows that regardless of what they do, we'll probably come back again and again and again. And, even if we don't, we make up a very small percentage of their guests, so it's not a big deal.

They have created this for the other 90-98% of their guests who only come once every 6-10 years (according to Jim Hill) or once in a lifetime. These are their target guests. These are the ones they're trying to convince to come back more frequently, and spend more money when they do come. These are their loudest, most unhappy guests who complain that they spent "thousands of dollars", "traveled xxx miles/hours", and "stood in line for hours to see some stupid mouse". These guests, who haven't been very often, have an expectation that they will be able to see and do everything and they're kid will have a great time. But, it doesn't work out quite that way, which leads them to spend less, go home angry, complain to their friends and neighbors and not come back for years, if ever. Their friends and neighbors take this to heart as well, and they avoid Disney, or at the least, they have a negative view as well, even before they decide to go.

So, what to do? Create a system where guests can be virtually guaranteed a spot in line for Space Mountain or to see Mickey Mouse with little to no wait whatsoever. By offering such a system, it helps ensure guest satisfaction, which leads to more spending, and perhaps even a return trip in less than 6 years.

Sure, the system creates problems and frustrations for those like us, who have been more times than we can count, and know our way around the parks blind-folded. Because, now, we can't use our "tricks" to get more rides in or take advantage of the fact that others don't know how to avoid the crowds like we do, but Disney doesn't really care about trying to win us, they know they already have us. And, we don't represent the growth market they're after. We're just, crazy, weird, un-happy fan boys who will never be pleased no matter what they do, but still we'll come back.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the new system either, but I can live with it. The casual way which we've toured the parks in recent years didn't really allow us to take advantage of more than 3 FP any way, so that's not a big deal to us, except when we park hop, but hopefully that will be added in the future. Outside of the advanced reservations I don't see how the MagicBands necessarily make things any different or offer anything that's significantly better than what we had before.
Thank you. You have a better way of saying what I was trying to say, but I hope you have your "flame" retartent body suit on. I really don't understand where all this hate is coming from.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A) There is NO more need for fastpass runners. The Band eliminates that "experience" That's a plus I would think

B) "a sweaty plastic band"? That is your gripe? Then don't wear it. Clip it on your belt or bag. Or use the plastic card option. FYI, my 11 yr old son has barely taken off his cool "sweaty plastic band" since we got home in December. As a dad, I love that...His Disney Experience hasn't ended yet. Another HUGE plus for me and him

C) The Magic Band DOES NOT "limit you to three rides a day". You can ride how many rides you want. It ALLOWS you to schedule your day and give you an opportunity to ride your three favorite rides quickly, which then allows you to enjoy the rest of the afternoon at whatever park you are in that day. Another Plus for me

If you choose not to use Disney's band, don't wear it. Don't schedule FB+. Don't download the My Disney Experience App. I'm sure Harry Potter will be a Magical Experience for you....

Funny thing I have not been to UNI since 2003 at a corporate event and have no plans to visit anytime in the near or long term future.

I have done a fairly thorough competitive analysis of the respective line bypass systems. UNI's is superior because of ease of use and it's primary focus is guest satisfaction, TWDC's system was intended to hide capacity limitations at WDW parks, reduce spending friction and allow Disney to cut back on operations staff based on knowing the loading of each attraction to within 10% 60 days out. The GUEST was nowhere in these equations on Disney's side except as a 'Wallet' as Jay Rasulo so famously stated.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Its the gestalt taken as a whole, not individual pieces. The smartphone app isnt anything special, there have been websites with current ride status way before Disney had thier own application.
I bring up the App because the app is a key part of the MM+ plans. This apps allows you to manage All your reservations, your fast passes,and of course map/wait time. With MM+ the app is what most guest will be interacting with during their time so an App in this situation is more the something that isn't anything special. Being such a key cornerstone it can't fail.

Captain Chaos

those likes are real...sorry to disappoint

if you want to question things that may or may not be real though... how about those bashing FP+ without having used it (and claiming they have) ...hmmm

The likes aren't real if they are Disney management/employees clicking like to make it look as if WDW fans actually like this system, when the negative posts say otherwise... That is what he meant...

If you want to question things that may or may not be real though... how about those praising FP+ without having used it (and claiming they have)... hmmmmm

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thank you. You have a better way of saying what I was trying to say, but I hope you have your "flame" retartent body suit on. I really don't understand where all this hate is coming from.

Perhaps its those regular visitors who in many cases spend the price of a new car every year at Disney for their families for whom Disney has significantly devalued their vacations. Elite frequent flyers are also the smallest percentage of airline customers same for hotel chains. And those companies work very hard to keep their BEST and most reliable customers happy because those are their brand ambassadors.

Disney may think they can astroturf the Social Media sites. But after last years experiences I'm not going back to Disney and I would not go even if the trip was free. I have a Premier Passport which I will let expire in August. That should tell you that I visited the parks on BOTH coasts.

Disney is taking the loyalty of their brand ambassadors for granted and we are starting to take our money ELSEWHERE and in most cases it's not going to UNI its just going elsewhere like perhaps to buy that new car for cash that we have skipped in favor of Disney visits

For those at Celebration Place - Just think about my words, once we are gone we are NOT coming back but we will continue to bedevil you on every social media front.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The likes aren't real is they are Disney management clicking like to make it look as if WDW fans actually like this system, when the negative posts say otherwise...

If you want to question things that may or may not be real though... how about those praising FP+ without having used it (and claiming they have_... hmmmmm
So your telling me that Walt Disney company is paying 8,000 - 26,000 employees to like a post your got to be joking, While I would agree that maybe an upward scale of 10% of employees like these post. The rest guest and fans of Walt Disney world.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So your telling me that Walt Disney company is paying 8,000 - 26,000 employees to like a post your got to be joking, While I would agree that maybe an upward scale of 10% of employees like these post. The rest guest and fans of Walt Disney world.

There are companies who do 'Reputation Management' basically hire a horde of people in the 3'rd world and have them post comments all day - comments are usually auto-generated and short. This is actually a fairly cheap way to astroturf social media

This is a India Times article about how TATA Real Estate is managing their disaster with a company called 'Social Wavelength'

http://articles.economictimes.india...e-reputation-lodha-group-puravankara-projects

It's a pretty good article - Basically TATA bungled construction and sale of new homes in India and the enraged buyers headed to Twitter/Facebook etc.

Captain Chaos

Read what I wrote.. I said that THAT IS WHAT HE MEANT... And you don't think Disney is beyond paying employees to LIKE a status on FB if they are seeing a lot of negative feedback? How many employees are on payroll? 8000 to 26000 are a fraction of the employees for Disney.. I'm not saying Disney paid employees to purposely click LIKE... But is it out of the realm of possibility that most of those likes ARE Disney employees who are trying to stem the negative tide??? No, it isn't out of the realm of possibility... Just like the minute a negative thread is started here, certain posters come out of the woodwork to try to discredit the OP who mentioned the negative news, and to try to stem the negative tide... It happens all the time on here and other message boards.... So how come it cannot happen on FB????

Of course, I could care less.. I used the system... it sucks just like Iger, Meg, Rasulo, Staggs, the BoD.... Disney could pay 1 million people to go click LIKE on FB... Won't change my opinion that this is a horrible system for 4 theme parks which are boring and stale, and need a lot of work...

WDW fanbois are brainless drones who would click LIKE if Disney announced they were going to start serving dog food to guests... As long as you book it 60 days in advance, you'll get to chow down on your slop in a dog bowl with Mickey ears!!!!!

Last edited:

asianway

There are companies who do 'Reputation Management' basically hire a horde of people in the 3'rd world and have them post comments all day - comments are usually auto-generated and short. This is actually a fairly cheap way to astroturf social media
You mean like Voce Communications? The Official Reputation Management Firm of Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Buried20KLeague

those likes are real...sorry to disappoint

if you want to question things that may or may not be real though... how about those bashing FP+ without having used it (and claiming they have) ...hmmm

Yeah, and I'm sure all of Justin Beiber's followers on twitter are all real too, right?

As stated by someone else, you apparently have to "like" the post to see the comments. Tell me how those "likes" are real. And if you think Disney employees aren't flooding the page with "likes", you're nuts. @asianway is right. It would be interesting to see how many on that list could be verifiable.

I'll give you one point: That there a number of comments on there in the negative that are ridiculous. But there are also positive ones that are stupid that cancel those out. As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Again... I don't have to use the system to know I'm not happy with the following things, which can't be argued against:

1. I don't like the three FP per day limit.

2. I don't like the tiered experience (i.e. caste system) that now exists in the parks, and is only going to get worse (mark my words).

3. I don't like everything being device focused.

4. I don't like that they've had to artificially create capacity and demand by adding FP+ to attractions and "experiences" that don't need it.

Those things aren't debatable. They're my personal feelings about facts related to this system and its implementation.

I don't care about many of the things others here complain about with them.

I think it's funny how proponents of this system laud the band's ability to do VIRTUALLY ALL THE SAME THINGS THE CARDS DID BEFORE. "Oh, it opened my door at the hotel great! I got in the park! I used it to pay for stuff! It was so much fun I used it to pay for more stuff, just for jollies!". Please.

I think the amount of tech savvy and planning that's required to visit WDW now and ensure you maximize your family's experience is asinine. As I've read through the dozens of threads related to this system over the past year, the crazed level of tech talk (did you go to MDE and link your unused AP number AFTER you made your hotel reservation, and then also link the media of the other family traveling with you?) is absurd. Seriously. Read through all the technical gyrations that people are talking about on any one of the dozen threads while thinking to yourself "HOLY CRAP, THIS ALL HAS TO BE DONE JUST TO VISIT A THEME PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!". There's no way my parents (for example) could or would do it. They just wouldn't go. Screw worshipping the mouse with the grandkids. It's become the the theme park equivalent of getting all your documents in line before visiting the DMV.

I think not one person can honestly say with a straight face that they believe this system improves their guest experience largely enough that it warrants the insane price tag that's come with it (and looks to require for the long haul via manpower). It's a wolf in sheep's clothing, and those that don't see that will gladly and willingly be led to the slaughter. And good for them. If they're content, swell. I'll vote with my wallet, as I have been doing for quite some time. I was at WDW last March for 5 days, then went on a RC cruise. That trip USED to be two weeks at WDW. And there used to be a Fall trip, too. And maybe another short one thrown in. But not anymore. This March I'll be spending two weeks in Tokyo at the best Disney parks in the world. And I couldn't care less when the next time I get to WDW will be. As long as this cancer of a system doesn't infiltrate the other parks, I'm perfectly fine. I'm smart enough to know that Disney parks exist elsewhere other than Florida (and right now, they're all of higher quality). If MM+ extends to other properties (which I'm betting will not happen as they've seen the costs associated with the Florida install climb way above projections), THEN I'll have a problem. Until then...

dgp602

Correct. Express pass is like the unlimited fastpasses that people who pay for the tour guides, etc...ge
I want to ask you a few questions but first I want to say that I have used the band and have no issues with it. My issues are with the new FP+ system.

Under the old system, did you use more than 3 FP per day? Does your family like some attractions so much you would grab an another FP for it again later in the day? Did you purchase park hopper tickets? If you answer no, then you will love the FP+. If you answer yes, then the FP+ is a bit of let down. Oh, I have been to Harry Potter and found it to be loads of fun.

First, my kids do love IOA and Harry Potter as well! Agreed. Very fun! Every trip, we spend a day or two off site at another park. Love UNI, SeaWorld and LEGOLAND. LOL So, anyway, here are your answers:

1. I don't use more than 3 FP's per day. We go to WDW the same time every year ( 1st week of December ) when crowds are somewhat low, so I usually only grab a FB for those attractions we know will have long lines ( TT,EE, Soaring,etc..).

2. I can't recall grabbing another FB for the same attraction in the same day. Like I mentioned, wait times typically are not an issue for a majority of the rides we like. And we try to take advantage of EMH to help with wait times.

3. I don't get park hopper tickets. We plan our day around one park at a time and move daily.

See, I get everyone's point about the FB+ program. It works for some, and for others it does not. Same can be said about other WDW programs ( dining plan, DVC, transportation ). But the FB+ is just one part of the MB program. Other parts work great and are convenient. The My Disney Experience App with the up to the minute posted wait times is fantastic! We used it at MK one day and you could almost follow groups of people around the park based upon the change, up or down, in wait times! When the wait times in one part of the park surged, we made sure we were in another part of the park. My real beef is that some people here have written this program off and harshly criticized it without actually being a part of it. I used it. My extended family used it. We were able to link all of our dining reservations and FB+ reservations without a problem. My kids loved picking out the color of their bands prior to arrival and their excitement for the trip grew exponentially when the MB box arrived in the mail!! For us, it was a good experience.

GrumpyFan

Perhaps its those regular visitors who in many cases spend the price of a new car every year at Disney for their families for whom Disney has significantly devalued their vacations. Elite frequent flyers are also the smallest percentage of airline customers same for hotel chains. And those companies work very hard to keep their BEST and most reliable customers happy because those are their brand ambassadors.

Wow! Good for you, spending that much every year! We don't, and we know others who are frequent guests, and they don't either. I would ask if I could come along with you, but you don't really sound like you know how to enjoy the parks (more money doesn't necessarily mean more fun). My suspicion would be that most frequenters are like me, and don't spend that much, but I could be wrong.

Most frequent flyers and hotel visitors are business-related, who spend more on average than the typical vacationer whose trying to get the most bang for their buck. But business travelers, because they have expense accounts, spend way more, so it behooves them to cater to the "elite". Also, the frequent flyers use those points when they vacation, so, again, it pays off for them.

Disney is taking the loyalty of their brand ambassadors for granted and we are starting to take our money ELSEWHERE and in most cases it's not going to UNI its just going elsewhere like perhaps to buy that new car for cash that we have skipped in favor of Disney visits

For those at Celebration Place - Just think about my words, once we are gone we are NOT coming back but we will continue to bedevil you on every social media front.

Another news flash for you, we're not really "brand ambassadors" to them. We're crazy, weird fan-boys who whine and complain at everything they do, yet still come back.

And, where is this "Celebration Place" you keep mentioning? It sounds like the North Pole. How do I get there?

Last edited:

twebber55

to me you cant dismiss the likes and then count the negative comments... my first impression is this cost too much money and will be a waste but i havent tried it yet to know for sure..im kind of old school like that..i need to see it/do it first to make a fair statement

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have done a fairly thorough competitive analysis of the respective line bypass systems. UNI's is superior because of ease of use and it's primary focus is guest satisfaction,

I wouldn't go that far... UNI's express pass represents so many aspects people were up in arms over for Disney's system. People screaming bloody murder about onsite vs offsite, creating classes of 'haves and have nots', charging for what they believe should be free, etc.

Express pass is priced to incentivize people to stay at UNI hotels. It's sold outright to monetize those who 'can pay more'. It's not modest in any sense of the word... during prime periods it can be $70+ PER PERSON PER DAY. One could argue for a family of 4, that's more than their full hotel cost. That's not customer centric - that is knowing they have something worth alot and not being shy about charging for it.

It wasn't created out of good will and increasing customer sat - it's purpose was to monetize a desire and increase hotel room sales.

Express pass for UNI hotel guests gives guests more what they want.. carte blanche access... but it's intentions and motivations are just as 'evil corporate' as Disney's MM. Both offer a carrot to the guest to drive what the company wants.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't go that far... UNI's express pass represents so many aspects people were up in arms over for Disney's system. People screaming bloody murder about onsite vs offsite, creating classes of 'haves and have nots', charging for what they believe should be free, etc.

Express pass is priced to incentivize people to stay at UNI hotels. It's sold outright to monetize those who 'can pay more'. It's not modest in any sense of the word... during prime periods it can be $70+ PER PERSON PER DAY. One could argue for a family of 4, that's more than their full hotel cost. That's not customer centric - that is knowing they have something worth alot and not being shy about charging for it.

It wasn't created out of good will and increasing customer sat - it's purpose was to monetize a desire and increase hotel room sales.

Express pass for UNI hotel guests gives guests more what they want.. carte blanche access... but it's intentions and motivations are just as 'evil corporate' as Disney's MM. Both offer a carrot to the guest to drive what the company wants.

Flynn,

I think we are in violent agreement here, Heck Disneyland was built to make Walt money PERIOD. Express Pass has 2 incarnations one (FOTL) you get for free when you stay at their deluxe hotels (incentive to stay at UNI hotel over OTHER hotel) the second is the $70 buck upcharge for the Express Pass which is more limited than the FOTL you get when you stay at their deluxe.

Disney's system was created to save DISNEY money, What I object to is it took away many things that we used for years on our vacations which made them more enjoyable and replaced them with nothing but price increases. The NGE is not customer centric it's Disney centric and I tried it twice it failed utterly both times and i really don't want to give it a third go.

I don't use the 'self checkout' lines at HD or Lowes or the grocery store either - where is the value add for ME???

With the additional planning required, ticket media not linkable the value proposition for a WDW vacation is no longer there and no amount of shiny marketing can make it so.

Buried20KLeague

NEWS FLASH! For all who are complaining, and/or just don't like FP+/MB/MDE, they didn't create it for us, the 1-2%ers who go to Disney at least once every 2 years. Disney knows that regardless of what they do, we'll probably come back again and again and again. And, even if we don't, we make up a very small percentage of their guests, so it's not a big deal.

They have created this for the other 90-98% of their guests who only come once every 6-10 years (according to Jim Hill) or once in a lifetime. These are their target guests. These are the ones they're trying to convince to come back more frequently, and spend more money when they do come. These are their loudest, most unhappy guests who complain that they spent "thousands of dollars", "traveled xxx miles/hours", and "stood in line for hours to see some stupid mouse". These guests, who haven't been very often, have an expectation that they will be able to see and do everything and they're kid will have a great time. But, it doesn't work out quite that way, which leads them to spend less, go home angry, complain to their friends and neighbors and not come back for years, if ever. Their friends and neighbors take this to heart as well, and they avoid Disney, or at the least, they have a negative view as well, even before they decide to go.

So, what to do? Create a system where guests can be virtually guaranteed a spot in line for Space Mountain or to see Mickey Mouse with little to no wait whatsoever. By offering such a system, it helps ensure guest satisfaction, which leads to more spending, and perhaps even a return trip in less than 6 years.

Sure, the system creates problems and frustrations for those like us, who have been more times than we can count, and know our way around the parks blind-folded. Because, now, we can't use our "tricks" to get more rides in or take advantage of the fact that others don't know how to avoid the crowds like we do, but Disney doesn't really care about trying to win us, they know they already have us. And, we don't represent the growth market they're after. We're just, crazy, weird, un-happy fan boys who will never be pleased no matter what they do, but still we'll come back.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the new system either, but I can live with it. The casual way which we've toured the parks in recent years didn't really allow us to take advantage of more than 3 FP any way, so that's not a big deal to us, except when we park hop, but hopefully that will be added in the future. Outside of the advanced reservations I don't see how the MagicBands necessarily make things any different or offer anything that's significantly better than what we had before.

Well, there you have it. It's not a system intended for us, so therefore none of us should be upset about it. That's it, boys... Let's pack it up and go home.

;)

Trust me... I totally get that this system is aimed about as far away from us as possible. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Also, I think that's part of the problem. This all could be done slightly differently and alienate a lot less people. But that's not what they'll do. And I believe that's largely because the people making these decisions are out of touch with their parks. I don't even know that I think they're ACTIVELY trying to screw over people like us... I just think they're so far out of touch that they might not even know any better. Which to me is actually WORSE, in a way.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Okay, I take it back. No offense, but it doesn't sound like a fun place at all. Still not sure why you keep bringing it up though.

Because Disney is busily astroturfing social media to trumpet MM+ grand success, The reality is that for most people its OK for some Meh for others like me it has been a unmitigated disaster.

However TDO sold this to the BoD as the greatest thing since sliced bread and they need to keep that perception going if they want to advance in the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom