Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

Captain Chaos

I apologize I went back and reread everything and realized I mixed you up with someone else. It's been a stressful day at work, nothing like fleet emergencies. :banghead:. Your right likes will not change an opinion they only express interest, or if you look at how Facebook operates the more likes and item gets the higher importance on the feed the item appears. (Hence the reason companies will pay for likes).

No worries, it's alright!!! We all have rough days in our personal lives and sometimes we relieve our stress by posting on a website... Unfortunately, we are all human and our emotions may get the best of us, especially if we are already running on fumes or with a short fuse... No harm!!!

[q

The difference I have seen is that the time you save walking/rushing to attractions is no different than before. If your park hopping and book your FP+ later in the day your time frame is now limited and your FP+ times fall relatively one hour after the next. (i.e. 5:20-6:20, 7:20 -8:20, 8:20-9:20) Unless you book all your FP+ for the same land/area your rushing to the next land/area where your next FP+ is scheduled. You dont have enough time to enjoy the entire land/area your currently in before its time to head the next area. If you want to experience more than 2 attractions in one area you will have to go back later after your other FP+ are used. Does that make sense? ( i just read it and looks confusing.lol)

The time you used to waste running to grab FP is now time you waste going back to visit an area to experience what you missed because you had to move on to another area where your next FP+ is scheduled. Last night for us was a good example. We had FP+ for BLSSR at 7 pm and Peter Pan at 8pm and BTMRR at 9. By the time we got off BLSSR we had about 40 minutes to get to Peter Pan. ( we didnt get to BLSSR until about 7:30). Thats not enough time to hang out in Tomorrow Land and do much before our next FP+ expired. We did SM standby and by the time we got off we had to rush to Peter Pan with minutes to spare before our FP+ time was expired. We got to do 2 things in Tomorrow Land before we had to rush to Fantasyland. By the time we got off Peter Pan we didnt have much time to do anything before it was time to head to BTMRR.

The only option (if your park hopping) is to book your FP+ all in the same area so your not rushing to the next area. But now your stuck doing standby for everything else (if you even have time). There is no time saved or lost with the new system. It averages out to the exact same thing as before. At least the way we did it. With legacy FP we could have at least got a FP for attractions at HS when we were there earlier in the day.
Your point is kind of invalid because you can manipulate your fastpass times if there are different time options available. You do not have to go with the original three you receive. They give you option a, b, and c but after pick from those options you can go in on the fly and change your times or attractions so you do not have to run from one end of the park to the other. Plus if you have booked food ressies MDE will automatically take that into consideration when you go in to book your fastpasses so they do not overlap. If you are running all over the park then you do not have anyone to blame but yourself.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Once you go in and get your times you can go in and change them if there are more time options available.
IF there are more time options available. That's a big if. Well, unless you really want to fastpass the teacups or Carousel of Progress. :p

In addition, his point was with relation to doing an evening at MK after park hopping from somewhere earlier. If you assume (and from this point forward, it's conjecture on my part) that his family eats at 5p, is done by 6p, takes 30 - 45 minutes to get to MK for the first FP at 7 and the park closes at 10, there really isn't a huge window for FP plus to be moved around there.

Voxel

President of Progress City
IF there are more time options available. That's a big if. Well, unless you really want to fastpass the teacups or Carousel of Progress. :p

In addition, his point was with relation to doing an evening at MK after park hopping from somewhere earlier. If you assume (and from this point forward, it's conjecture on my part) that his family eats at 5p, is done by 6p, takes 30 - 45 minutes to get to MK for the first FP at 7 and the park closes at 10, there really isn't a huge window for FP plus to be moved around there.
Plus rarely have I seen FP options open after 7pm if was park hoping.

I see that now, but still I wouldn't save my fp+ options if I was going to park hop that late in the day. I park hopped and used them in my second park but got there around 1pm. If I was going to park hop that late in the day I would go ahead and use my fp options in the first park. But that is just me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Devils advocate to the last part. The same was said about Apple in the 90's, and look where they are now. We have seen crazier turn arounds in every industry. We could only hope that Disney will do the same. Based on what I have seen in Tokyo and DLR, I think it is possible.

And look how apple did it - by jettisoning everything non-core and deciding to do one thing, and do it well.

I was at Macworld 97 when they announced the Microsoft investment and when jobs started killing off the clones. I've had macs since the 128 and it was my obsession pre college.

Twdc is a conglomerate now... I don't ever see that kind of refocusing because it would require divesting all those things. The only hope IMO is if some elements were spun off.

The perpetual growth model is not healthy for business IMO

ParentsOf4

I wouldn't go that far... UNI's express pass represents so many aspects people were up in arms over for Disney's system. People screaming bloody murder about onsite vs offsite, creating classes of 'haves and have nots', charging for what they believe should be free, etc.
As an experience, Uni's Express Pass is nothing like FastPass+.

"Pay-to-play" systems like those at Universal are easy to understand and use. It's naked capitalism. A lot of people don't like it but nearly everyone understands the concept immediately. "I pay X dollars and get to use a faster line." No sticking cards in slots, no pieces of paper, no return times, no studying "the rules", no MagicBands, no strategizing FP+ selections, no preplanning.

When I watch what happens at Universal, I'm always amazed at how many buy Express Passes after they arrive. There's a family of 4 spending more for Express Passes then they would have spent if they had just booked a night at one of Universal's lovely Deluxe Resorts which also would have included unlimited Express Passes for two days! But they buy 4 limited Express Passes anyway because they haven't done their "homework". Can you blame them? It's a vacation. It's supposed to be relaxing. It's supposed to be fun. When they purchase those limited Express Passes, they are buying "fun".

Going to Orlando already is a complex vacation for the uninitiated and FP+ just makes it more complicated. Worse, FP+ tends to favor people like you and I; super-users who know every intricate detail. Users who know which FP+ selections to pick, know the best times, know how to tour the parks, and know what to do waiting for the FP+ return time.

FP+ doesn't solve anything. The uninitiated are going to say "Gee, I have an 'appointment' for Peter Pan in 50 minutes, Oh, I'm not sure what I can do, I don't want to miss it. I guess I better just stand here waiting for that 'appointment'."

Conversely, at Universal if I stay on site, I can sleep in, take my time, walk up to nearly any attraction, show them my room key, and they let me into the Express line. It's that simple. I don't have to figure where I'm going or what I'm doing next. I can live in the moment knowing that, if I want, I can ride Men in Black next or, if I don't want that, I can ride The Simpsons next.

It's a vacation but FP and now FP+ treat it like a planning chore. Great for a Disney exec who is use to looking at a Microsoft Project schedule but not for your average vacationer who just wants to have fun.

Universal's Express Pass system means vacation fun.

WDW's FastPass+ system means vacation work.

Until WDW's execs get it into their heads that most people just want to relax when they're on vacation, they're going to keep trying to implement systems that they think make business sense for them, not that are fun for their paying customers.

Last edited:

Voxel

And look how apple did it - by jettisoning everything non-core and deciding to do one thing, and do it well.

I was at Macworld 97 when they announced the Microsoft investment and when jobs started killing off the clones. I've had macs since the 128 and it was my obsession pre college.

Twdc is a conglomerate now... I don't ever see that kind of refocusing because it would require divesting all those things. The only hope IMO is if some elements were spun off.

The perpetual growth model is not healthy for business IMO
I am slightly jealous that you were there. Your right TWDC is too large and things need to be spun of and managed as separate entities instead of one large entity. Part of the reason the Tokyo parts are ran so far is because they are their own entity.

Voxel

Yeah I wasn't in the keynote tho (I was poor and that cost a lot more ... Plus they weren't hyped as much back then) but it was great to be at amacworld. We hung out with all my irc warez friends :)
I have no reason to go. I am learning objective-c but I don't work in that industry, yet at least. I am stuck in the military contracting industry, for now I think.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm aware of that situation - but like I said - do you believe that is the intention for the final state of Premier Passports? Or is this the 'overflowing toilet' that is a temporary problem? I believe it's the latter... a temporary thing that will be resolved going forward. So I don't gauge the grand scheme of MM+ based on that temporary thing.
But 'temporary' also overlapped with your vacations - so you were impacted. That is the role of customer service then to make the situation right. Obviously Disney has failed to do so. So like the temporary toilet.. who failed in the guest recovery?? The service aspect of the company. And this is an area I see them getting worse and worse in.

Twice myself I've been let down by the company in the last month. Each time the company seems more and more incompetent.. let alone addressing my issue.

I'm not giving them any breaks either... I just like to focus my anger were they could have actually made a difference.

Bringing it full circle.. Disney may not have been able to prevent the toilet scenario.. but they could have made up for it. And in your passport issue... Disney may not have done their homework... but they could have made up for it. The fact they miss these things now is what makes me believe the culture of this company is so far gone it's well past it's peak and will never recover it's vaulted position.

Flynn

I don't really know truly none of us do I'm not sure that TWDC knows what the final state of the system will be, I've spent most of my family vacations there and spent a huge chunk of cash on DVC mainly because it makes me take vacation not because of any great 'value'.

But now with the constant fumbles and DMV style customer service, Now what do we do as Disney fans?

Does one just dump DVC points and write it off. I agree I think the company is developing an arrogant culture that assumes the 'hard-core' fans will always be back.

Good friend of mine is going to see the Atlas-TDRS launch - Ordinarily they would have stayed at the Poly but instead they are staying at Cocoa Beach, They don't see the value anymore and this family has more disney stuff even from their parents time than most will see in a lifetime.

Voxel

Flynn

I don't really know truly none of us do I'm not sure that TWDC knows what the final state of the system will be, I've spent most of my family vacations there and spent a huge chunk of cash on DVC mainly because it makes me take vacation not because of any great 'value'.

But now with the constant fumbles and DMV style customer service, Now what do we do as Disney fans?

Does one just dump DVC points and write it off. I agree I think the company is developing an arrogant culture that assumes the 'hard-core' fans will always be back.

Good friend of mine is going to see the Atlas-TDRS launch - Ordinarily they would have stayed at the Poly but instead they are staying at Cocoa Beach, They don't see the value anymore and this family has more disney stuff even from their parents time than most will see in a lifetime.
I can understand this. In recent years I have more interest in trying to visit the other Disney parks around the world and see what they offer then I am in visiting WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As an experience, Uni's Express Pass is nothing like FastPass+.

I don't think any if what you said is wrong - but I do believe some will benefit with the structure. Wdw is so much it can be overwhelming. Fp+ can help streamline some of those choices. Sometimes too much open is bad too...

The 'I just walk up...' Works in limited numbers but can't be applied universally. If you assume lines are never going away... Dealing with lines and being able to see those must do things are also thing people worry about. Part of the fp+ pitch is 'dont worry... You are covered'

That piece of mind pitch is what the 'locked in' ad is selling.

Many vets think like 'I don't want that structure - I can adapt better in my own'. But that doesn't invalidate the value for others...

I think much of the hate is way over blown because it all hinges on getting a fp or not. I don't put as much weight into the theory if I don't have a fp the park is ruined for me. So I don't get as emotional about being in... Or out

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can understand this. In recent years I have more interest in trying to visit the other Disney parks around the world and see what they offer then I am in visiting WDW.

My problem is I spend so much time on airplanes that I really dont associate getting on one for vacation as a good time

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can see that as an issue. I have only flown once and that was to Italy.

I'm elite on 3 airlines as of right now! so I spend way too much time on planes, The nice thing about WDW is it was a non stop 2.5 flight from home to WDW easy flight which was usually nap time.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Your point is kind of invalid because you can manipulate your fastpass times if there are different time options available. You do not have to go with the original three you receive. They give you option a, b, and c but after pick from those options you can go in on the fly and change your times or attractions so you do not have to run from one end of the park to the other. Plus if you have booked food ressies MDE will automatically take that into consideration when you go in to book your fastpasses so they do not overlap. If you are running all over the park then you do not have anyone to blame but yourself.

It seems you are chomping at the bit to defend magic bands so let me explain (again) what EXACTLY I was referring to in my original post. My wife and I were PARK HOPPING. We figured it was wiser to make our FP+ selections for later in the day so we could ride attractions at HS early in the day while wait times were still low and use FP+ at MK later in the day which was our second park to hop to. We knew we would not be at MK until after 5pm so that automatically limits our time frame for FP+ selections to a 5 hour window (MK closed at 10pm so we had a 5 hour window for FP+ selections) You can not book FP+ selections during the same hour so how on Gods green earth could we change our FP+ selections to a better time? I have used magic bands several times this year so I am quite familiar with the A,B,C options. I did attempt to see what other time frames it would give me but they were all the same since we only had a 5 hour window. Im not sure why you would mention dinner reservations since I did not say we had any. My original post was in referrence to not saving any time in running to get legacy FP versus FP+ where (IF YOU PARK HOP) you can not stay in the same area for too long. This was a specific example of what we experienced yesterday while park hopping and booking FP+ for later in the day. Im sure not everybody tours the parks this way but for us (who like to park hop) it limits your options and does not save any time vs old school legacy FP.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think much of the hate is way over blown because it all hinges on getting a fp or not. I don't put as much weight into the theory if I don't have a fp the park is ruined for me. So I don't get as emotional about being in... Or out

I think part of the problem is the way this system is being worked, kind of "behind the scenes" right now as far as how many FP+ are being reserved for attractions, the standby wait times are not really known. At least with FP-, when the parks were busy, people could somewhat predict the wait times. Right now I don't think that's possible.

Will the standby for an average FP- day be 60 mins for Peter Pan's Flight, now be 180 minutes with FP+? (Just an example)

Voxel

I really wish Disney did a tiered system with FP+ where the guest can use One - Three FP+ ahead of time and based on how many they chose ahead of time effects how FP works for them that day. If you got one FP+ you could get a new one every hour, if you did 2FP+ then every 2/3 hours and FP+ you can get a new FP everytime you use one. If that makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom