Official WDW Facebook page opens the floodgates to MyMagic+ comments

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yea, but when you fresh out of college and its the first job offer you get and you need money it looks good. 8 months later and I am not sure I can make it a year.

My hindsight experience.... Don't look up to the 'big' companies and if you can find a dynamic young company... They are the most fun. Oh and sales support means hanging out with all the guys who like to eat drink and be merry :)

freediverdude

I was in a discussion with someone on another board who seemed to be "in the know" about Disney's thought process concerning their take-it-or-leave-it attitude and higher prices lately. It was very interesting because I was curious about why in the world would they do this. Apparently what they're trying to do is make their product seem "more precious" by making it harder to obtain (less fastpasses = each ride experience being more precious and valuable), and pricing it higher to seem more elite or worthy of aspiration to get. Part of all that Blue Ocean strategy stuff. He claimed it's a fascinating dynamic to watch the sales and profits when this strategy is pursued. I personally think it's pretty risky for Disney to do this, but then again I'm not an exec. I guess we'll find out if it pays off for Disney. Basically they don't care if even a lot of former customers leave, as long as the customers they do get are willing to pay a lot more for what they perceive to be an aspirational brand/product.

ParentsOf4

I was in a discussion with someone on another board who seemed to be "in the know" about Disney's thought process concerning their take-it-or-leave-it attitude and higher prices lately. It was very interesting because I was curious about why in the world would they do this. Apparently what they're trying to do is make their product seem "more precious" by making it harder to obtain (less fastpasses = each ride experience being more precious and valuable), and pricing it higher to seem more elite or worthy of aspiration to get. Part of all that Blue Ocean strategy stuff.
The entire NextGen initiative was groupthink. They were trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

It's not that WDW is a lemon. It's that they have a severe ride capacity problem given the number of annual visitors and hotel rooms. Their ride capacity problem is their lemon, not WDW itself.

3 of WDW's 4 theme parks are being treated as half-day parks by a growing number of guests. At least Epcot has the World Showcase to visit at night. But parts of DAK and DHS are ghost towns after the sun sets, even on days when MK is bursting.

In order to implement FP+, Disney has been forced to convert a lot of their second and even third tier attractions into FP+ to try to make them seem more appealing than they are. (When's the last time Figment has appeared in a commercial? ;)) Again, they are making lemonade out of lemons.

It would take billons to create enough first tier attractions to get all 4 of WDW's theme parks to where they really need to be in order to implement almost any other strategy besides MyMagic+. Even Disney has acknowledged the problem by publically stating that their plans for DAK are to make it a place to visit at night.

It's also why we can expect something exciting at DHS. :)

Just wish we didn't have to wait so long. :(

Last edited:

freediverdude

The entire NextGen initiative was groupthink. They were trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

It's not that WDW is a lemon. It's that they have a severe ride capacity problem given the number of annual visitors and hotel rooms. Their ride capacity problem is their lemon, not WDW itself.

3 of WDW's 4 theme parks are being treated as half-day parks by a growing number of guests. At least Epcot has the World Showcase to visit at night. But parts of DAK and DHS are ghost towns after the sun sets, even on days when MK is bursting.

In order to implement FP+, Disney has been forced to convert a lot of their second and even third tier attractions into FP+ to try to make them seem more appealing than they are. (When's the last time Figment has appeared in a commercial? ;)) Again, they are making lemonade out of lemons.

It would take billons to create enough first tier attractions to get all 4 of WDW's theme parks to where they really need to be in order to implement almost any other strategy besides MyMagic+. Even Disney has acknowledged the problem by publically stating that their plans for DAK are to make it a place to visit at night.

Well see that's part of what this guy was saying, was that Disney isn't really that interested in expanding or adding many more things right now. They think if they take what they have, polish it up and make it more expensive/harder to obtain/something like a luxury brand name, that the customers they get will be willing to pay more and increase the profit margins. They're going for higher profits over expanding and getting more customers.

lebeau

Well see that's part of what this guy was saying, was that Disney isn't really that interested in expanding or adding many more things right now. They think if they take what they have, polish it up and make it more expensive/harder to obtain/something like a luxury brand name, that the customers they get will be willing to pay more and increase the profit margins. They're going for higher profits over expanding and getting more customers.

Which, remarkably, seems to be working! :eek:

GrumpyFan

Seems hard to believe on one hand, but then on the other it would seem to make sense. I'm just imagining that sometime in the past few years, one of the senior execs in a meeting said, "we need to find a way to increase revenue and decrease overhead at WDW", and the solution they came up with was NextGen.

I think WDW as a whole, is probably scary in some ways to the Disney company. It's a great "machine" and generates a LOT OF MONEY for the company, but it's a monster too. It's so big, with so many moving pieces, and it's gotta be a nightmare to manage if you stop to think about it. So, the idea that they're going for profit over expansion isn't totally ridiculous, if you step back and take a look at what WDW has done in the last few years. Even with stiff competition from Universal, WDW has managed to continue to grow in a difficult financial environment. Sure, there was a slight dip in 2010 when WWOHP opened, but they bounced back the next year. I would suggest that Disney isn't really concerned with growing the size of the parks, nor adding a lot more attractions, and based on the continued growth that's been seen there over the past few years, I would argue that they don't really have to either. I'm not saying I agree with this strategy, but I can see where it would make sense to the BOD.

RSoxNo1

I get the point of this post, but I hate the choice of phrases, "making lemonade out of lemons". I understand the double meaning of lemons, but the phrase takes some of the degredation out of it. On top of that, "it would take billions to create enough first tier attractions to get all 4 of WDW's theme parks where they really need to be"? Consider $500-800 for Animal Kingdom already being earmarked and New Fantasyland not being part of the equation, I think $1.5 billion could have solved a lot of the real problems here.

In other news, #DisneySide was trending the other day and it looks like Disney launched a twitter account for Disney Side. The account will retweet anything that references Disney Side, regardless of sarcasm, I tweeted this last night:
"#DisneySide is trending, we're celebrating by locking in dinner 6 months in advance."
They retweeted it, and then on my personal account I responded with this:
@DisneySideUS I don't think you understand the irony here
Their response... they retweeted that too.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I get the point of this post, but I hate the choice of phrases, "making lemonade out of lemons". I understand the double meaning of lemons, but the phrase takes some of the degredation out of it. On top of that, "it would take billions to create enough first tier attractions to get all 4 of WDW's theme parks where they really need to be"? Consider $500-800 for Animal Kingdom already being earmarked and New Fantasyland not being part of the equation, I think $1.5 billion could have solved a lot of the real problems here.

In other news, #DisneySide was trending the other day and it looks like Disney launched a twitter account for Disney Side. The account will retweet anything that references Disney Side, regardless of sarcasm, I tweeted this last night:
"#DisneySide is trending, we're celebrating by locking in dinner 6 months in advance."

Disney just does not get tech do they

Sassagoula-Rvr

I'll be honest as far as MM+ when I used it...yeah there were some issues...but I didn't think it was that much different. It sucks with big groups, but they will get it figured out...I would put more money on it becoming an industry standard than a failed project.

freediverdude

What the heck does DisneySide mean? Don't even get that.

dreamfinder

It makes me wonder if they are going to stick with it or maybe do a hybrid system.

It's here. They had walls/boxes around some of the FP distribution kiosks the day after they took FP+ "live" at MK, I'm surprised if no one has posted pictures of the areas empty and repaved.

You are not allowed to change your fastpass times? They all have to be one after the other?

You can change them, but each window is an hour and they cannot (at least mine haven't) overlap. Some may start at 00, or 05, or 15, etc.

What the heck does DisneySide mean? Don't even get that.

Good side/dark side type thing. Show the side of your personality that lets you act like a kid while having fun.

willtravel

And if the economy goes sour again or the stock market crashes again (and it will), I wonder what they will feel/say then?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well that's the thing also, if they position themselves as a luxury brand, luxury brands tend to do better in economic downturns (the wealthy or upper middle class aren't as affected).

Only one problem luxury brands drip quality, Disney has become the 'Coach' handbag at the flea market ie faux luxury but with the luxury pricetag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom