Official "Rita" thread!

Tim G

Original Poster
Water flows over New Orleans levee

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana - Water washed over a levee in New Orleans' hard-hit 9th Ward on Friday as Hurricane Rita swept towards the region, the Army Corps of Engineers said

Tim G

Original Poster
New Orleans Nightmare

In rainy New Orleans, water poured over a patched levee, gushing into one of the city's lowest-lying neighborhoods, the hard-hit and largely empty Ninth Ward -- and heightening fears that Rita would flood the devastated city all over again.

"Our worst fears came true. The levee will breach if we keep on the path we are on right now, which will fill the area that was flooded earlier," said Barry Guidry of the Georgia National Guard.

The storm was expected to come ashore early Saturday along the upper Texas-Louisiana coast on a course that could spare Houston and Galveston a direct hit.

But Rita could plow straight into the Beaumont and Port Arthur area, a stretch of refineries and chemical plants about 75 miles east of Houston.

Tim G

Original Poster
The Broken Levee.

story.9thward.levee.jpg

It's small but it's all I've got

Cliffordsmon

I can see your photos very well.
Great documentation of White Oak and the storm preparations.
Is that cardboard covering the speaker at the drive-thru? What protection!

that_L_do_pig

That store is WELL PROTECTED from the plywood and the sheet metal screws that were used. That particular drive in uses a LCD screen so I think the cardboard is just to help with water penetration from winds. That is probably the best secured site that I saw. For where we are (NW Houston) I was suprised how much they defaced the window sills to get that plywood in place, meaning the use of the sheet metal screws.

Cliffordsmon

You are right, they spent a lot of time protecting the windows but the cardboard on the speaker will not last past the first shower. You would think that they would at least cover it with a plastic bag and duct tape.

I hope you don't live too close to White Oak. Stay safe!

that_L_do_pig

If you need to seek higher ground due to rising waters, go in the right direction towards the white and away from the dark - http://maps.tsarp.org/viewer.htm

Be patient with that link - it takes time but really help me understand my situation better. Let it load first until the map comes up then type your address and zip.

i just moved my home LAN environment into disaster mode. All three PCs stashed away. Long cable running into my area of last refuge under the stairs. Abandoned Wifi for direct cable connection 100baseT'd to the my laptop. cablemodem and laptop on UPS. That's the longest surviving scenario possible in my environment.

**edit** I added some pics in my photobucket of this area

Tim G

Original Poster
National Guard:
Worst Fears Come True As N.O. Floods

Rita14.gif

The water is pouring back into a neighborhood of New Orleans, as the city receives wind and rain from Hurricane Rita.

Dozens of blocks in the city's impoverished Ninth Ward are under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide pours over a dike.
It had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal levee.

Water is waist deep and rising fast on the street that runs next to the canal.

A Georgia National Guardsman said, "Our worst fears came true." He said if it keeps up, the levee will breach, and he said it "will fill the area that was flooded earlier."

The area was one that was hard-hit by floodwaters from Katrina. It had finally been pumped dry before Rita struck.
The renewed flooding comes amid wind and rain from Hurricane Rita, now nearing the Gulf Coast.

Officials believe the neighborhood has been completely cleared of residents as water pours back in.

An aide to Mayor Ray Nagin said, "I wouldn't imagine there's one person down there."

The aide said law enforcement officials are being notified of the rising water, but it's not clear whether the workers will be asked to leave.

Tim G

Original Poster
Rita Weakens To Category 3
Mass Evacuation From Texas Coast Continues

Rita13.gif

Hurricane Rita has weakened some more and is now a Category 3 storm, with maximum sustained winds of 125 mph.

Forecasters said it could continue a gradual weakening before making landfall early Saturday, but that it's still expected to come ashore as a dangerous hurricane.
They said Rita will pack "large and dangerous battering waves" and a storm surge that could reach 15 feet over normal tide levels around where Rita hits shore.

At 2 p.m. EDT, the center of Hurricane Rita was about 190 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas. Forecasters are carefully monitoring a "wobble" in its course, but think Rita will strike farther up the coast toward Port Arthur, Texas, or Lake Charles, La.

Earlier it looked like Galveston and Houston might get a direct hit.

Rita was moving toward the northwest near 10 mph and this motion was expected to continue during the next 24 hours. Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 85 miles from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 205 miles.

There are concerns the storm could cripple oil production. Some refineries have shut down.

Rigs in the Gulf have been evacuated. An elevated platform on Isle Denieres near the south-central Louisiana coast reported sustained winds of 58 mph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom