Official News on HM Update from Disneyworld.com

raven

Chains??? You bustin out of the slammer just to make the preview? I have a new sense of respect for you...haha, but seriously??CHAINS??

LOL, it was a play on the phrase "I'll be there with bells on." :lol:

But I'm starting to have an idea. Wouldn't it be great if a bunch of fans showed up at the HM on the official reopenning dressed in HM garb? I think they would truely see how much we've missed it and appreciate them giving it some TLC. Any thoughts?

Summitplummet14

I too am trying to envision where it would be in the ride, also did anyone mention that anything from the ride was removed in order to place this staircase scene?

Space Mountain

Donald.jpg

raven

I too am trying to envision where it would be in the ride, also did anyone mention that anything from the ride was removed in order to place this staircase scene?

It's been mentioned for a while in other threads that the old spider webs would be replaced by this scene. So it's right after the parlor scene with the piano where you head up the stairs.

raven

Now my memory is fully refreshed, and it doesnt resemble donald that much, it does a little, but it looks un intentional

Some of the original plans for the mansion was a walk through of the 'Museum of the Weird". This chair was one of the few survivors of that original plan. It isn't intentionally supposed to be Donald but has a resemblance of him. :wave:

cb3k

It's been mentioned for a while in other threads that the old spider webs would be replaced by this scene. So it's right after the parlor scene with the piano where you head up the stairs.
Raven, I understand "theoretically" where this staircase is supposed to go...but doesnt it seem that based on the mini model picture, it would seem crammed in the current "stairs" spot. Maybe I'm just missing the big picture but it seems like the only place that the staircase scene would literally FIT into, would be in the ballroom area (which wouldnt make sense because you are flat, and we know that scene will not be scrapped or moved)...I'm sure the imagineers have if figured out better than I...Just wanted to speculate a bit on where it would actually go (that is, if the model we saw in a previous post is indeed their plans for the ride). Also...Sorry your "chains" joke went right over my head...hah, got it now.

cb3k

So this trip I get to see the new POC, Everest, Rehabed HM... Sweet!
Lucky for you if this is going to be your first time seeing these attractions in their current Glory! Don't forget about the Nemo show at AK, oh yeah...You will also get to see the new coat of paint applied to the Briar Patch at SM.

jt04

Wow...a lot more massive than I envisioned it. I'm having a hard time trying to envision where that would be able to fit within the ride...
You probably never noticed the area because before the spiders were added it was just a pitch black void that I thought was spookier than the spiders. I believe there was still a very large area behind the spiders that you can not see into because of the darkness. I believe this is where the stair scene is going. My best guess anyway....

raven

Raven, I understand "theoretically" where this staircase is supposed to go...but doesnt it seem that based on the mini model picture, it would seem crammed in the current "stairs" spot. Maybe I'm just missing the big picture but it seems like the only place that the staircase scene would literally FIT into, would be in the ballroom area (which wouldnt make sense because you are flat, and we know that scene will not be scrapped or moved)...I'm sure the imagineers have if figured out better than I...Just wanted to speculate a bit on where it would actually go (that is, if the model we saw in a previous post is indeed their plans for the ride). Also...Sorry your "chains" joke went right over my head...hah, got it now.

I believe the stairs area will be utilizing mirrors to make the area look larger than it actually is. Kinda like the jellyfish on the Nemo ride. You can see a mirror in the model picture as well. I think this was the idea knowing that they had little space to work with. I doubt they would take out the ballroom since everyone loves that scene.

DarkMeasures

It's definitly mirrors.

The best example to the effect Disney is going for is the line for Flight of Fear at Paramount's Kings Island. In one room, there is a giant UFO that guests enter. And well, the room seems much larger than it is and the fact that the station is in the UFO makes it all the more interesting.

But there is a huge mirror wall halfway along the UFO that gives the illusion of a huge room. So imagine it being staircases instead of UFOs.

It's a great effect done with minimal space.

I remember reading a few months ago that management just wanted a sound upgrade and maybe the shop added. Did some kind of fight with the imagineers occcur that ended with the imagineers winning?

cb3k

I believe the stairs area will be utilizing mirrors to make the area look larger than it actually is. Kinda like the jellyfish on the Nemo ride. You can see a mirror in the model picture as well. I think this was the idea knowing that they had little space to work with. I doubt they would take out the ballroom since everyone loves that scene.
Ok...this makes sense now, I assumed that the mirrors would play a factor somehow..I can't wait to see how it turns out. jt04 it is quite possible that there is more space behind them, you are right...if it was there I would have never noticed due to how bland that scene is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The location of the new and exclusive to Orlando (had to write that!) staircase scene (not my diagram mind):

Attachments

• HauntedMansionWDW[1] copy.jpg
    HauntedMansionWDW[1] copy.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 207

Dizknee_Phreek

I'm intrigued with the Gargoyles.... does anyone know what they are doing?
I'm pretty excited about all the cool new effects....except this one. This one worries me a bit. I was ALWAYS worried when I was little that the gargoyles would come to life...and now it looks like they are. So I'm a little worried that will bring back those memories of being scared to death of the HM as a kid. lol, course, I'll get over it a lot quicker now than I did then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom