Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
well still...

Well, still, the other day in the papers it said how a kid was refused healthcare in Quebec because he didn't have his health card. He died from appendicitis.

If you were jobless in America and had an emergency...believe me, any hospital would take you! You'll just pay for it later!

I like that there are insurance policies now with lower premiums and higher deductibles...like 1000 or 5000. That works for me...I think many of us wouldn't mind coverage like that...like car insurance.

DRIFT!

cloudboy

I like that there are insurance policies now with lower premiums and higher deductibles...like 1000 or 5000. That works for me...I think many of us wouldn't mind coverage like that...like car insurance.

The temporary coverages and such. Unfortunately some states don't allow them. In Mass they don't, and COBRA coverage runs me over $300 a month! The cheapest temp health plan I could find that was available to me was about $350. I know healthcare is costly, but it just doesn't work. And if you are admitted and don't have coverage, they hold it against you, most people end up bankrupt and guess what - they don't dismiss those charges! It's absurd!

Sorry, just venting...

disneytati

Originally posted by mkt
A suggestion would be to try to establish US residency in a predominantly latin area (Florida, New York, California, or Puerto Rico)... I know in Puerto Rico, there has been a recent influx of Brazilian immigration... all legal, via an intermediary nation (usually the British Virgin Islands, Mexico or the Dominican Republic). Another suggestion I can make, would be Canada. From what I've gathered, it is considerably easier to migrate into Canada than the US... and you would enjoy the same standard of living as most US Citizens, and a much safer atmosphere. The disadvantage... it's effing cold in the winter.

I would freeze to death in Canada!!!:lol: I don't know, but I feel like besides Rio de Janeiro, the only place I would live is Orlando, Florida... Well, let's just see how things develop, I am still collecting data about life in Orlando, immigration issues, etc, and then decide if it's possible for me to go there...

I love this thread. I haven't had the opportunity to read the whole thing yet (though I plan to) so I apologize if this question has already been asked. I'm looking for a house in a small crime area that is close to Disney. I'll be moving down there next year and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what towns shouldn't be missed when I go down there to look around. I also heard that some areas are less likely to be hit by tornadoes than others so if this is true I would want to be in the less tornadoe area. Thank you.

disneytati

Hi, guys! I'm happy this thread has been bumped... once again, I am planning to move to Orlando. I guess this time I'll make it!!! So, how are things up there? Is the crisis too bad???

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi, guys! I'm happy this thread has been bumped... once again, I am planning to move to Orlando. I guess this time I'll make it!!! So, how are things up there? Is the crisis too bad???
Things in the US... dollar stinks, credit crunch, jobs moving overseas, crimewave in Orlando, healthcare crisis, George Bush...

yeah, move to Canada ;)

TTATraveler

House prices have been falling, both existing and new construction. Crime seems unchanged, traffic still stinks and always will.

Bug715

I'll be moving down in a year!!! YAY!!! Can anyone tell me some condo complexes close to WDW since the next few trips down I need to start looking.

Number_6

I'll be moving down in a year!!! YAY!!! Can anyone tell me some condo complexes close to WDW since the next few trips down I need to start looking.

http://www.aptselector.com/fl/orlando-60362.html

A friend of mine used to live here. I stayed with him for a couple of months when I first moved to Orlando and it was a decent little apartment he had. Living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and a small patio. Not sure what the rent is like, but the contact info is all there. They are actually located just off of Westwood Blvd, which is practically next to SeaWorld. If you are coming from Disney, then you would take the exit for Central Florida Pkwy, bear right off the exit ramp, then take the left at the lights. It's down the road a little way on the left.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
so many of the condos are sitting unsold, you can basically get one on the cheap right now. My aunt just bought a condo that was sitting at $259k 2 years ago for $89k.

Bug715

I'm hoping to have enough money to get a condo because I've been taught its an investment. I'm hoping that housing prices are still down in a year because that will help me out. Now to keep saving money.

dcibrando

I am considering apply for some business/IT jobs at Walt Disney World that I qualify for to see if I get any bites.

If we were to move down there... I would like to be close to Disney...but not having to get on I-4 (obviously), living in a nice neighborhood/community where taxes aren't $4-5k per year, decent school district, near or easy to get to some shopping areas (supermarkets, food, etc.) and housing (not condos or apartments) in the range of $185-$235k

Where do all you locals suggest some areas to look into?

Also, do you know what counties/areas have more affordable annual taxes? I was looking on a housing site and saw many homes showing $4-$5k per year in taxes... definitely not for me.

thanks!

Rabflmom

I am considering apply for some business/IT jobs at Walt Disney World that I qualify for to see if I get any bites.

Also, do you know what counties/areas have more affordable annual taxes? I was looking on a housing site and saw many homes showing $4-$5k per year in taxes... definitely not for me.

If the tax is something you are considering in buying then check into the homeowners insurance before you move too. It is usually equal to or more than what we pay on taxes a year if you can get it. We have had to change companies 3 times since 2004 because companies left Florida. Right now we have a company we never heard of;but hopefully if we ever need them they won't go bankrupt before they pay us.

Also check on car insurance because it is double what my family pays for their cars in Illinois. We pay about $2500 a year on our 2 cars(2004 Malibu and 2003 Vibe) with no one under 25 driving with no tickets or accidents working against us.

Rabflmom

wow i didn't know that... that is unreal

also, some houses I see have HOA quarterly dues. What is this?

That would be your home owners association dues. A lot of areas have them to keep the neighborhoods in better shape. They set up rules on what can and can't be done to your house and yard.You have meetings, elect officers to maintain the association, and they enforce the rules that are set up by everyone living there. In our last house they mostly used the dues to pay someone to mow the grass in public areas of the neighborhood and send letters telling people how they were breaking the rules.. If ya didn't pay the dues then they put a lean on your property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom