1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

Discussion in 'Vacation Homes and Villas' started by mkt, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Foladar

Foladar Member

Hows the Davenport area? We plan to come up there (from south Miami) to check out some places around April 28th, how is the crime mostly and neighbourhoods in that area? I've read its a small town, so I *think* thats a positive (less crime) .. I've learned to avoid the southern area (Haines City) but thats about as far as I've gotten .. we're looking for just north if I4/27 if anybody has any suggestions, thank you. Also, we're moving in threeish weeks, around May 10th, woohoo!

2. Iknewagirlnamed

Iknewagirlnamed New Member

What are the pros and cons of buying a condo VS renting an apartment? Thanks!:)

3. Rabflmom

Rabflmom New Member

>>>>

Pros- you have something you own for your money rather than paying say $12000 a year and having nothing to show for it.

You can paint and change the interior however you want to.

You will have other owners who care about the way the condo looks who won't be as likely to litter the parking lot and community grounds as some renters tend to do.

Cons- in addition to mortgage you will have home owners dues to pay. Covers repairs to community areas but not interior of your condo. Can go up if committee deems it necessary unless it is locked in. If it is not enough and insurance doesn't cover it all you may be charged additional monies for repairs

You have to pay for all repairs to interior of your condo.

Condo association can have some pretty strict guidelines you have to comply with.

4. Iknewagirlnamed

Iknewagirlnamed New Member

Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it. When I move to O-town next year, I will be 21. I will have an substantial amount of money saved that I plan on using to pa for college. I also plan to have a full time job, along with my boyfriend paying rent and a hopeful roommate to boot. I'd much rather own a condo than pay rent to an apartment that isn't mine. I'd love to invest. But it makes me nervous since I am so young and it will be the first property I own.

What are the home owner's fees like? Do they vary greatly? What chances do I have to be locked-in to a fee? Are they yearly or monthly?

When you said that "if insurance doesn't cover it all" do you mean the repairs to my condo or does insurance pay for the home owner's fees? I'm guessing it's not the latter. lol

Thanks! :)

5. Richard Bruvofe

Richard Bruvofe New Member

Wow! That's one hell of a drop. Is that what you'd be expected to pay for a 2 bedroom condo? What would the local taxes be like?

:):):)
    Okay, I'm English and we've just got to get those colonies back somehow.:D

Seriously though, I live 40 miles north of London, in a 3 bedroom detached house, the back garden being 30 feet by 35 feet and just about enough room to put a car on the front, 8 feet between us and the neighbours. This is worth £275,000 ($550,000) and prices have fallen here as well! When you look at what you can get almost anywhere in North America it all looks very good reading for the English (We've already bought up half of Spain - so now that's too expensive, and we're nibbling into France).

Ever since my first visit to WDW in 2001, I've been half tempted to get something out there. One of the biggest worries is crime. Then again, there are parts of the UK I wouldn't even consider walking around in daylight.

6. Matpez

Matpez Well-Known Member

where was this???

(neighborhood, area, address, anything)

:wave:

7. TowerOfTerror

TowerOfTerror Well-Known Member

Check on Condos.com. They have 1 bedroom/1 bath as cheap as 89,000 in Hunters Creek. I am going to linger a little bit longer; I still think the Orlando market is still 20-30% overpriced at this point.

8. Matpez

Matpez Well-Known Member

Well, I have been looking, but I need at least 2 bedrooms...

and I agree, still a bit overpriced.

:)

9. mkt

mkt Awesome Original Poster

Neighborhood: Metrowest (the good part!)
    Development: The Hamptons

It was listed at $109, my aunt offered $89 and got it.

10. Matpez

Matpez Well-Known Member

Thanks!

We have friends that recently moved from Metrowest (the good part) and they were suggesting looking in that area too.

:)

11. dizkid03

dizkid03 New Member

Where can i stay for cheap, while working at disney, on weekends, only?

i plan to live at home in clearwater and work at disney on the weekends, only. where can i stay for less than $600.00 total, altogether? i would like it to be within 20 minutes of disney property.

12. HauntedMansionFLA

HauntedMansionFLA Well-Known Member

What areas are good to buy a condo? Celebration? Windermere ? Any suggestions??