Off Site or On Site

jeffk410

Just curious to what people tend to do? Like how many of us stay in and how many stay off grounds. I always stay off site in feb vaca and the other times in the year i stay on-site. And the actual resort you tend to stay at.

WDW_Emily

I tend to stay onsite. All of the benefits make my stays easier when compared to offsite stays.
YES! and when you add the cost of paying for parking, gas, rental cars, it's easier just to stay on site.

We used to stay off-site and then one year when pop first we decided to try staying on site. IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER! we haven't stayed off-site since! also the Value Resorts are a great deal and run about the same as the off-site hotels(the nice ones).

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I have only stayed onsite since making trips on my own without my parents. My parents liked staying offsite. But onsite is more convenient for me personally. I love not having to worry about driving.

Upvote 0

jeffk410

Original Poster
Ya i split it. I feel there is a little more magic on site, but when im off site it is soooo much easier to get back to the resort rather than waiting for the bus. but yah cost wise I think on-site is cheaper just becasue no rental car, and pop is a good price.

Upvote 0

disneytopdog

After staying off site in hotels and with friends that live in the Orlando area, I so prefer to stay on site. I think the pluses(EMH, Dining plan, ME) out weigh the negatives(being dependent on Disney Transportation).

In December I down graded from a moderate to a value, but with the money I save I am renting a car for the week, so I will see if this is worth it.

I am kinda excitied about parking my car at the TTC and riding the tram, monorail or ferry to the MK. That is something I have not done in years and I miss the smell of the trams and then hearing the Disney music at the TTC.

Upvote 0

lilybee

The first year we went we stay off site, and it was horrible!!! Had to get a bus to the world every day, it was always packed, smelt and the bus was leaning to one side!!! We didnt have the best holiday. So since then it on site all the way, the staff are so helpful and they want you to have a good time and its all part of the Disney fun. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We always stay offsite. We've figured the cost of the values with tax, etc., 3 people in the room and it just doesn't seem to compare to the nice room we can get 1 mile outside of the parks, including parking at our door, microwave, mini fridge, no waiting on busses, newspaper and many family restaurants closeby. We don't see where we're missing any 'magic'. When your in the park from 9am until closing each day we don't feel we need to spend a lot just to sleep.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I do both. Off-site when I have somewhere to stay for free and on-site if I'm paying. I have relatives that are Snow Birds and sometimes stay in the vicinity. If they're there I have a free bed, so I stay with them and rent a car. Otherwise, I prefer on-site. I've been trying to stay in each resort, so far my only repeat has been a second stay at POFQ.

I look at it from a pro/con point of view:

On-site:

PROS:

Convenience [room key/park tickets combined, less planning and logistics]
DME
EMH
Disney Transportation or free parking
Immersion in all things "Disney" 24/7
Resort package delivery
Security

CONS:

Expense

Off-site:

PROS:

Cheaper room

CONS:

Parking [unless AP holder]
Gas/Rental car
Tolls from/to airport

Ultimately, for me it comes down to the combination of security and immersion in all things "Disney" 24/7. I like the self-contained environment of WDW. Cost isn't a major factor for me.

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

I've stayed off site 1 time and will never do it again. My husband insisted one year. He didn't like it either. He didn't like driving everywhere and getting lost (he's famous for it). We have stayed at both All Star Sports and Music, Shades of Green and POFQ. I perfer POFQ over the values. Shades was nice but lacked the "magic". I missed a themed resort. In Oct we are trying WL. Can't wait!

Upvote 0

pacochran

We've only stayed on site and that is the only way i'd go. We like the convenience and just the whole atmosphere. Couple of years ago we went to Universal too, and again only stayed on site and loved it.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

we always stay on site now, although I have stayed off site before. We love being right in the "middle of the magic", the transportation, and service. There's nothing like it!

Upvote 0

sueuk

We've done both, and have enjoyed each visit in different ways. Coming from England most people tend to come for 2 - 3 weeks, and visit other places while there. If we have family with us (and we're paying!) we rent a holiday villa with a pool; if we're coming as a couple we stay at the Beach Club or AKL - BC being our favourite due to the position and great park access. We always get a car regardless in with our flight, so can still easily visit other places, go shopping etc. :wave:

Upvote 0

primetime52

Since I live only a few hours away from the World, I typically take an average of 3 trips per year. I stay once a year on-site, and stay off-site in the additional trips, in order to save a little cash. Staying on-site 3 or more times per year would bankrupt me.

My most common off-site hotel is the Regal Sun (formerly the Grosvenor). It doesn't come close to living up to the WDW standards but it does sit in an excellent location: literally right across the street from Downtown Disney. Basically you are staying on-site in an off-site hotel.

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

My parents never let us stay onsite. We didn't stay onsite until the early 90s. Since then, I've only stayed off property two times. For one, I was offered a free stay in a Westgate resort. The other was for a business meeting at Omni Champions Gate. If it's not free, we stay onsite.

Upvote 0

Jay & Sue

We own a short term rental villa just a few minutes from the World so we always stay there when we come down from Denver. It is so much nicer to be able to stretch out in 3200 of space rather than to be cramped into one 600 square foot room. For us, it is nice to get away from the Magic for a quiet relaxing evening at home. It is also nice for the kids who can burn up the last of their energy in the pool and then get a good nights rest in their own bedroom so that they are ready for another fun day in the parks. :wave:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We have done both. Rented a house w/pool and stayed on site. For us, we prefer to be on site guests vs. off site guests. We take full advantage of the early morning emh's..always at the park well before opening. Also, even though we generally drive to WDW we almost never use our vehicle. It just sits in the parking lot for the length of our stay..unless we venture off property. We have had almost no problems with WDW transportation at any of the resorts. Even if we have extra fridge, microwave etc., in our room we rarely use them, as we are in the parks most of the time. We also like to be close enough to go back mid day for a swim, nap or break.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

We used to always stay offsite because we could stay at nicer resorts for less money. Then we stayed onsite at a value for the first time and quickly figured out that we like being immersed in the Disney Magic much better. We are never in the room anyway but to shower and sleep so the lack of space in a value doesn't really matter to us and there is nothing like coming back to a cute window display or getting my Mickey soaps! :ROFLOL:I can't get that offsite. Not to even mention the free parking and EMH!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom