October 3rd & 4th Hoopla?

New2WDW

Original Poster
So does the op have the date wrong?

Nope, my dates are directly from Disney and due to some kind of closure on Saturday October 4th. Like I said they called me about my dinner reservations and changing them. When I called back they read off to me a park closure at 3 pm.

STEVE, do you have any contacts that could explain what is going on?

Or maybe someone good at prying info from people could call and try to get a dinner reservation for the MK that night. I will see if I can call again to see if I can get any more info tonight when I get home.

Disneyfan1981

Of course they are letting Miley close down MK for her 16th, that way Disney can keep an eye on what cell phone photos and other shennegans will go on. :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm surprised they are canceling out a MNSSHP for a Private Party but its guaranteed for them to do so that she is paying far more than they'd be predicting to get.

mcstensrud

Of course they are letting Miley close down MK for her 16th, that way Disney can keep an eye on what cell phone photos and other shennegans will go on. :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm surprised they are canceling out a MNSSHP for a Private Party but its guaranteed for them to do so that she is paying far more than they'd be predicting to get.
I understand the closing for Miley's B Day on the 3rd(mnsshp).
But Why No dining on the 4th? as the op has stated!

princess17

As far as I know, the whole Miley cyrus thing is just a rumor and may or may not happen. It's more likely that there will be a press event.

I also did not hear anything about Oct. 4th. I only know about Oct. 3rd. I don't think they will close early on a Saturday night. It's too busy and they'll loose too much money. Of course, I could be wrong though.:shrug:

WDWFigment

Can anyone else conform the closing on the 4th? If they're filming some Miley B-day special, I could understand it taking multiple days, but it seems they could work around the park schedule a little better.

It also seems like this Miley rumor just somehow materialized and now people are running with it. To me, it defies logic for a few reasons:
1) If it were for her actual birthday, why so early?
2) If it's just for the filming of a birthday special to air on ABC Family, it would have been scheduled far in advance. With this appropriate advance scheduling, there would have been no need to cancel a MNSSHP, they just wouldn't have scheduled it in the first place.

Although, as far as number 2 goes, it seems like the same could be said for any press announcement. Unless that press announcement has suddenly been spurred on by something else... :shrug:

Eh, guess we'll see soon enough!

WickedQueen22

Can anyone else conform the closing on the 4th? If they're filming some Miley B-day special, I could understand it taking multiple days, but it seems they could work around the park schedule a little better.

It also seems like this Miley rumor just somehow materialized and now people are running with it. To me, it defies logic for a few reasons:
1) If it were for her actual birthday, why so early?
2) If it's just for the filming of a birthday special to air on ABC Family, it would have been scheduled far in advance. With this appropriate advance scheduling, there would have been no need to cancel a MNSSHP, they just wouldn't have scheduled it in the first place.

Although, as far as number 2 goes, it seems like the same could be said for any press announcement. Unless that press announcement has suddenly been spurred on by something else... :shrug:

Eh, guess we'll see soon enough!

Thank goodness someone else is doubting the story. Why do a birthday 6-7 weeks early? I am with you on the poor planning this would have been.

vickyvale

if there is indeed a press event on the 4th, the park could be closing at 7pm on the 3rd to allow for rehearsals or load-in. it is not unusual to close a park at 3pm for a press event - epcot did it two days in a row for the millennium. it is a bit odd they'd impact the mk this much though.

New2WDW

Original Poster
I tried the number to Disney on my voice mail and got a recording. So no new info as of yet. :veryconfu

Regarding the early closing at Epcot for a previous event years ago or any other park announcement closing - do they close the park off and get all guests out? or just let people hang around for the press event?

magicmom1

My guess for her having her b-day early is that they are filming new episodes of Hannah Montana right now and she is the voice of Penny in a new animated movie that I think is coming out around the end of October/November (in time for holiday viewing). I am sure that she will be doing a lot of press and stuff for that. I guess that her schedule isn't open for her real b-day so she is forced to have a party early. She also has to take into account her father's schedule with new movies coming out from him too. Disney probably figures that it was better to shut down MK in early October rathan than at Christmas time.

Since Miley is the only thing making Disney money right now, I would say that they would be willing to give her just about anything she wants.:kiss:

vickyvale

Regarding the early closing at Epcot for a previous event years ago or any other park announcement closing - do they close the park off and get all guests out? or just let people hang around for the press event?[/quote]

no, they don't allow day guests to hang out during a press event - at least not usually. not that i know that's what's happening - but if they are indeed closing at 3pm that would seem to make the most sense. guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ausdaddy

My guess for her having her b-day early is that they are filming new episodes of Hannah Montana right now and she is the voice of Penny in a new animated movie that I think is coming out around the end of October/November (in time for holiday viewing). I am sure that she will be doing a lot of press and stuff for that. I guess that her schedule isn't open for her real b-day so she is forced to have a party early. She also has to take into account her father's schedule with new movies coming out from him too. Disney probably figures that it was better to shut down MK in early October rathan than at Christmas time.

Since Miley is the only thing making Disney money right now, I would say that they would be willing to give her just about anything she wants.:kiss:

:shrug: How do you figure?

krankenstein

What about Pixar, The Parks, and least we forget the beloved High School Musical Franchise? Disney makes money from a lot more than Miley. Is she popular? Yes, that is a obvious. Is she the only viable money maker Disney has right now? Not at all.

wickedfan07

I'd much rather this whole dining dilemma be over a press event (or simply a mistake on the part of the person in dining who read from the computer) than be for Miley Cyrus' birthday. :shrug:

magicmom1

You are right that Miley isnt the only one making Disney money but according to the breakdowns of the stockholders reports Disney Channel characters and HSM is what is keeping the stocks from going down more than they have been. The addition of Pixar will help but Wall-E IMO wasn't that much of a blockbuster that they expected. All the Toy Stories and Bugs Life movies were much better and did much better.

Because of the economy people are staying home again. Disney's answer to this is to raise the ticket prices and charge $12 to park in a lot that has been paid for 20 times over!

There has also been a rumor about there only being 1 more year for Miley doing Hannah Montana and HSM says they are done too. So really Disney has one more year to ride the DC wave before they loose a big chunk of profits.

I am sure that, as a previous poster said, she is paying more to rent out the park than all the people who had bought tickets that night for MNSSHP. I am also sure that they will somehow film this and turn it into a DVD since they are finally releasing the Best of Both Worlds DVD that was filmed over a year ago and her b-day comes just in time to include some footage for the Christmas morning hoopla too.:xmas:

If I were one of those people who had reservations for Oct 3, would I be upset YES! But as we all know money talks and everyone else walks regardless of how many peoples vacations get screwed up.

DisneyJoe

...and HSM says they are done too. So really Disney has one more year to ride the DC wave before they loose a big chunk of profits.

The CURRENT HSM cast is done after HSM 3 - but from articles I've read, they are already preparing the story and cast (read: undergraduates) to take over the franchise when the current cast "graduates".

HSM will continue until it is no longer making money.

MousDad

The addition of Pixar will help but Wall-E IMO wasn't that much of a blockbuster that they expected. All the Toy Stories and Bugs Life movies were much better and did much better.

Are you going by Box Office Grosses?

Wall-E has cracked 200 million by its 6th week. It is currently #81 all time. It has already beaten Toy Story and obliterated Bugs Life. It could possibly catch or come close to Cars and Toy Story 2 at 240 mil. Probably not Monsters, Inc at 255 or Incredibles at 261. However, it will definitely not catch Lion King at 328 or the big cahuna - Nemo at 339.

If anything, Wall-E has overperformed, given its subject matter.

princess17

I just checked the official calendar and it shows that MK will close at 7pm on Oct. 3rd without MNSSHP and stay open until 9pm on Oct. 4th. If they did decide to close early on the 4th (which people are confirming that disney has called them to change ADR's on the 4th), they haven't posted it on the calendar which is making me wonder if maybe they are only closing down restaurants???? I don't know.

It makes no sense to me at all because Saturday is the busiest day for MK and something major has to be going on for them to want to close down the park.

Maybe they are going to do the press event as a tie in with Miley's birthday. Many people think the next theme after Year of a million dreams will be magical celebrations (where people celebrating a birthday, anniversay, etc. will be invited to celebrate at WDW) and Miley's bday party being the introduction to this theme. So, I'm thinking the party will be on the 3rd and then the press event on the 4th if they do indeed close early on the 4th.

HeatherK

Saturday night is not a MNSSHP. Thursday and Friday night are /were MNSSHP nights.

Just think if someone is going down to Disney around that weekend for a short stay! This would kill the trip being that MK is the Main park for most people. :zipit:

Like me. I was only going from Oct 1st to the morning of the 5th. I'm driving down from Long Island (about 19 hours) leaving on Monday the 29th with my boyfriend and hoping to take our time going down, spending the night in some state then continuing the next day, but due to the cancelation of our Oct. 3 MNSSHP we are leaving on the 29th at 7pm and driving all through the night to make it to the Sept 30th MNSSHP. We only have 3 day park hoppers because we are doing Universal on Thursday. So my days at the parks are Wed / Fri / Sat. Now its a half a day on Saturday. Come on.

WDWFigment

You are right that Miley isnt the only one making Disney money but according to the breakdowns of the stockholders reports Disney Channel characters and HSM is what is keeping the stocks from going down more than they have been. The addition of Pixar will help but Wall-E IMO wasn't that much of a blockbuster that they expected. All the Toy Stories and Bugs Life movies were much better and did much better.

Because of the economy people are staying home again. Disney's answer to this is to raise the ticket prices and charge $12 to park in a lot that has been paid for 20 times over!

There has also been a rumor about there only being 1 more year for Miley doing Hannah Montana and HSM says they are done too. So really Disney has one more year to ride the DC wave before they loose a big chunk of profits.

I am sure that, as a previous poster said, she is paying more to rent out the park than all the people who had bought tickets that night for MNSSHP. I am also sure that they will somehow film this and turn it into a DVD since they are finally releasing the Best of Both Worlds DVD that was filmed over a year ago and her b-day comes just in time to include some footage for the Christmas morning hoopla too.:xmas:

If I were one of those people who had reservations for Oct 3, would I be upset YES! But as we all know money talks and everyone else walks regardless of how many peoples vacations get screwed up.

Regarding the bolded, whether or not a movie exceeded expectations is not a subjective topic (i.e. "IMO"). The expectations for this movie have been exceeded, and with the eventual DVD and Blu Ray sales, it will be hugely profitable. MousDad already covered this well.

Further, attendance at the parks continues to break records. You're free to speculate as to why Disney is raising prices and what not, but perhaps grounding those opinions in the reality of the numbers would be useful. Disney raises ticket prices yearly, and it's not unreasonable for parking to be raised, as well. Whether or not the lot itself has been paid for multiple times over is not the only factor (that parking lot is staffed by employees), but even if it were, Disney is not running a charity with the goal of breaking even (although you know this, since the subject here is company profits), so why on earth should Disney not strive to profit off of its parking lot?

I will agree that Miley (if that, in fact, is what's going on here) is probably paying more to rent out the park than the total of MNSSHP tickets (also factored in would need to be merchandise, food, etc. sold that evening to MNSSHP guests versus Miley's entourage) for that evening. Even if she's not paying more, I'm sure there would be other considerations involved with appeasing the star behind one of Disney's most dominant franchises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom