Oct 1st - special surprises at MK?

Pioneer Hall

Yes! Martin will be bringing cookies!:slurp:
:lol:

Seriously folks...do not expect attraction announcements.

If they shocked the world and did announce something...find me in the crowd. I'll give you a dollar.

I will only be happy if this dollar is in pennies

Lee

Adventurer
I will only be happy if this dollar is in pennies

Nope. Disney dollar, circa late '90s. Slightly crumpled.*

*While supplies last. Limit one per day. At participating locations. May not be combined with any other offer. Other restrictions may apply, based on whim and mood.

Lee

Adventurer
Per Wikipedia's entry on Expedition Everest: "The attraction first was announced publicly on April 22, 2003, during an event to celebrate the fifth anniversary of Disney's Animal Kingdom."

Also mentioned by Michael Eisner a couple months earlier at the shareholders meeting.
And discussed here at least six months before.:D

Not much fits that description right now...
Practically zero chance they could announce something we don't already know about.

RSoxNo1

Also mentioned by Michael Eisner a couple months earlier at the shareholders meeting.
And discussed here at least six months before.:D

Not much fits that description right now...
Practically zero chance they could announce something we don't already know about.

It was the construction of Everest and Soarin' that rekindled my Disney fanaticism and brought me to this site. The announcement pre-dated my being a member of these boards.

With all that said, I too am not expecting any attraction announcements.

sublimesting

For an event they are retiscent to celebrate as it is they are not going to do something huge like announce a super secret new attraction! Your surprise will be "SURPRISE!!! We let you down again with one of our "surprises". Are you surprised?!"

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'll be unable to attend rope drop, as my daughter is running the kids race for the Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon weekend that morning, but we will be in the parks shortly after.

Hopefully it's an all day kind of celebration.

boufa

For an event they are retiscent to celebrate as it is they are not going to do something huge like announce a super secret new attraction! Your surprise will be "SURPRISE!!! We let you down again with one of our "surprises". Are you surprised?!"

No, more accurately... "Surprise! You all let your imaginations wander, made up things, raised your hopes to unrealistic highs, and then came crashing down to earth when the reality of the situation was revealed (and then were mad at Disney for their "failure")."

You (some of you) are not even on the same page as Disney. They think Cupcakes and you think "Mosnters Inc Coaster". They think buttons, and you think "5th gate" This is not Disney's failure, this is our failure for not understanding the scope of event that Disney thinks it is. You may disagree with Disney, then fine, expect to be disappointed.

Captain Chaos

No, more accurately... "Surprise! You all let your imaginations wander, made up things, raised your hopes to unrealistic highs, and then came crashing down to earth when the reality of the situation was revealed (and then were mad at Disney for their "failure")."

You (some of you) are not even on the same page as Disney. They think Cupcakes and you think "Mosnters Inc Coaster". They think buttons, and you think "5th gate" This is not Disney's failure, this is our failure for not understanding the scope of event that Disney thinks it is. You may disagree with Disney, then fine, expect to be disappointed.

This... As I been saying, Disney online fanboys are their own worst enemy... Lower your expectations and Disney will not disappoint...Hold Disney to the once high standard they once held themselves to, and you will be disappointed 100% of the time...

menamechris

To be fair, this is really no one's fault but Disney. For the last decade or so, they have basically put the brakes on delivering up to expectations. While I don't think anyone could reasonably expect a full blown announcement of some sort - the company sure thought that Disneyland's 40th was worth a celebration beyond a "mini-celebration" at the castle hub for one day. Regardless, it is what it is - and I think it is a lesson in guests needing to expect less in the future...

boufa

I'm not so sure that Disney ever had that high level of expectations. We tend to compress the past, and micro view the present. Announcments and developments that were fairly spread out in the past, seem like a rapid pace looking back on it.

Do you really want some of the things that they were rapidly trying to do. Do you want project Gemini to go forward. We want new things, then complain about what they took out. Horizons is a great example. Sure, you could come up with 1000 blades of grass that could be developed that would allow you to keep everything, and add more. But realistically, that is not going to happen. Epcot needs a little vision in the front end. AK could use a new attraction or land. I agree, but we are also getting the FLE. Like it or hate it, that is where the effort, and money is going to. Right now they feel like that is enough.

Krazikins

i completely forgot about the 40th anniversary! how could i forget!!
Was going to go to Hollywood Studios that day. glad i saw this.
plans changed :)

misterID

I'm not so sure that Disney ever had that high level of expectations. We tend to compress the past, and micro view the present. Announcments and developments that were fairly spread out in the past, seem like a rapid pace looking back on it.

Do you really want some of the things that they were rapidly trying to do. Do you want project Gemini to go forward. We want new things, then complain about what they took out. Horizons is a great example. Sure, you could come up with 1000 blades of grass that could be developed that would allow you to keep everything, and add more. But realistically, that is not going to happen. Epcot needs a little vision in the front end. AK could use a new attraction or land. I agree, but we are also getting the FLE. Like it or hate it, that is where the effort, and money is going to. Right now they feel like that is enough.

What's all this "we" stuff?

menamechris

Yes, we want new things periodically. Thats to be expected. The problem is that when we have gotten new things recently - to a great degree - they have been disappointing to anyone over the age of 6. The FLE expansion could be absolutely amazing. But let's be for real - we are only getting 2 clones that were already planned for other parks. And there isn't even an E ticket. I agree, the budget is spread out right now because of everything that is going on. But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel that WDW isn't getting the attention it deserves for being the flagship resort. It is the huge moneymaker for P&R, but yet - it seems to be getting shafted the last decade - unless it is convenient to just carbon copy an attraction from another park to shut up WDW fans...

cheezbat

The biggest problem is that WDW IS the Flagship resort...It has the most expensive parks and has the most parks of any of the Disney resorts...yet hasn't gotten a one of a kind big time attraction now in over 5 years. Expedition Everest was the last BIG original E-ticket added to WDW. As of right now there's not one big E-ticket attraction on the horizon for the resort. Yeah, there's been the rumblings of the Monsters Inc coaster, but NOTHING has been officially announced and it hasn't been greenlit.

We got used to seeing new additions to the resort almost every year...and at least every two years. Now...we go a good four or five years and see nothing big and all that exciting, and we've also seen the decline in park maintenence. Heck, when I was at the Magic Kingdom last week I noticed that half of the characters on Splash in the laughing place weren't working AT ALL...the Brer Fox on the final lifthill's mouth is all messed up, Space Mountain was at its norm...breaking down every few hours, cracks all over the place in the park's pavement, and so many lights out in Main Street USA even non-fanboys were noticing! Heck, I lost count somewhere over 200 lights out. This is not the WDW I grew up and loved. I've seen the decline in the past five years and it bothers me.
The FLE is needed, but more is needed in that park, and in the other three as well.

Cosmic Commando

Yes, we want new things periodically. Thats to be expected. The problem is that when we have gotten new things recently - to a great degree - they have been disappointing to anyone over the age of 6. The FLE expansion could be absolutely amazing. But let's be for real - we are only getting 2 clones that were already planned for other parks. And there isn't even an E ticket. I agree, the budget is spread out right now because of everything that is going on. But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel that WDW isn't getting the attention it deserves for being the flagship resort. It is the huge moneymaker for P&R, but yet - it seems to be getting shafted the last decade - unless it is convenient to just carbon copy an attraction from another park to shut up WDW fans...
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from if you're underwhelmed with FLE, but when the WDW "clone" is opening up two years before the "original" and half a world away, I don't think the clone argument really applies.

menamechris

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from if you're underwhelmed with FLE, but when the WDW "clone" is opening up two years before the "original" and half a world away, I don't think the clone argument really applies.

Well, the argument being that if they didn't need something new for Shanghai, we wouldn't be getting it at all. They would have stuck with fairy meet and greets...

RSoxNo1

The biggest problem is that WDW IS the Flagship resort...It has the most expensive parks and has the most parks of any of the Disney resorts...yet hasn't gotten a one of a kind big time attraction now in over 5 years. Expedition Everest was the last BIG original E-ticket added to WDW. As of right now there's not one big E-ticket attraction on the horizon for the resort. Yeah, there's been the rumblings of the Monsters Inc coaster, but NOTHING has been officially announced and it hasn't been greenlit.

We got used to seeing new additions to the resort almost every year...and at least every two years. Now...we go a good four or five years and see nothing big and all that exciting, and we've also seen the decline in park maintenence. Heck, when I was at the Magic Kingdom last week I noticed that half of the characters on Splash in the laughing place weren't working AT ALL...the Brer Fox on the final lifthill's mouth is all messed up, Space Mountain was at its norm...breaking down every few hours, cracks all over the place in the park's pavement, and so many lights out in Main Street USA even non-fanboys were noticing! Heck, I lost count somewhere over 200 lights out. This is not the WDW I grew up and loved. I've seen the decline in the past five years and it bothers me.
The FLE is needed, but more is needed in that park, and in the other three as well.

The fan boy in all of us wants an E-Ticket every year but that's simply not realistic. I also wouldn't be shocked if the scope of the Monster's Inc Coaster is such that it would be a D-Ticket as well. For me personally, I'm quite satisfied with the Fantasyland expansion and the addition of an additional D-Ticket in 2012 and 2013/2014.

The problem for me is that while capacity was certainly an issue in the Magic Kingdom, it didn't seem to be the most dire need. I really think that this expansion will result in the Magic Kingdom not seeing a substantial addition until the 50th Anniversary. Frankly, I'm satisfied with this provided that attention is paid to the other 3 parks in the 2014-2021 range.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom