Politics OC Register - Disneyland and Universal Studios ask Newsom not to finalize theme park reopening plans just yet

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

DrAlice

All this talk of the restriction on out-of-towners...... Exactly how would that be enforced? Couldn't you put in any ol' SoCal address into the website? They don't actually mail you anything and I don't think Disney would be that interested in looking into the issue too deeply.

DrAlice

With APs they check the address on your ID.
Ok, but what about us ParkHopper ticket people? I can't remember: do they check ID at the gate? Would they say, sorry, your ID has a far-away address, you can't come in even though we sold you a ticket?

EDIT: I forgot that they aren't likey doing new ticket sales. So, they might already have your info. However, suppose you "moved"??? :)

Mac Tonight

"Both have seen their staffing reduced due to there not being enough critical patients, and frankly, both are beyond fed up with Newsom."
It’s pretty telling that you somehow misinterpret that as anyone, “wishing there were more people sick enough to require critical care.”

mandelbrot

It’s pretty telling that you somehow misinterpret that as anyone, “wishing there were more people sick enough to require critical care.”
You are including in the same sentence two people who are lacking work due to lack of critical patients and frustration towards a governor whose policies are leading to a lack of critical patients. Perhaps it's not what you meant but it's definitely what you said.

Mac Tonight

You are including in the same sentence two people who are lacking work due to lack of critical patients and frustration towards a governor whose policies are leading to a lack of critical patients. Perhaps it's not what you meant but it's definitely what you said.
Lol. Newsom’s “policies” have no bearing on how a person’s body reacts to getting Covid.

TP2000

All this talk of the restriction on out-of-towners...... Exactly how would that be enforced? Couldn't you put in any ol' SoCal address into the website? They don't actually mail you anything and I don't think Disney would be that interested in looking into the issue too deeply.

I'd imagine they would require the ticket takers at the front gate turnstiles to check ID's before they let you in. There would probably also be a requirement to confirm ID's when tickets are purchased online or at the ticket booths, but an ID check at the turnstiles would be the final line of defense. And it would be easy for state regulators to audit and inspect that ID checks were happening there at the turnstiles.

It would also be easy to keep out Mexicans and out of state tourists this way. Those types of foreigners would be an even easier target to keep out than someone from Bakersfield who had California ID but not from a safe zip code.

And if you are only letting in 25% of your customer capacity, it's not like they have to worry about big crowds. This type of scene won't be seen at Disneyland for at least another year or two. If the park ever reopens. Plenty of time to weed out the foreigners without these long lines.

220-managing-summer-crowds-heat-disneyland-morning-lines.jpg

Last edited:

AJFireman

EDIT: I forgot that they aren't likey doing new ticket sales. So, they might already have your info. However, suppose you "moved"??? :)

When they do the So Cal ticket deal in the first part of year they check your ID at first use to verify you live within the designated uzip codes.

Also tickets sales were started just before WDW reopening date after initially saying no new ticket sales. So if they follow the same thing they could sell tickets for some kind of revenue stream. They had 3 allocations for reservations hotel reservations, APs and ticket holders. So even if the others were full you could still purchase a ticket for and get a reservation.

TP2000

When they do the So Cal ticket deal in the first part of year they check your ID at first use to verify you live within the designated uzip codes.

Also tickets sales were started just before WDW reopening date after initially saying no new ticket sales. So if they follow the same thing they could sell tickets for some kind of revenue stream. They had 3 allocations for reservations hotel reservations, APs and ticket holders. So even if the others were full you could still purchase a ticket for and get a reservation.

Good points.

20 years ago this type of policy would have depended almost solely on the elderly ticket taker at the turnstile.

But now there are several layers of technological defense ahead of that ticket taker that can be used to keep foreigners and Californians from naughty zip codes out.

TP2000

I would also think the ability to automatically check a California zip code against the state database of Yellow Tier counties might be a way Sacramento could give a little in their negotiations with the theme parks. As Dr. Ghaly said, he wants to "partner" with "industry stakeholders" and "have dialogue" about reopening theme parks.

If Orange County is in the Yellow Tier in 2021, you could also sell a ticket to any Californian who lives in a Yellow Tier county. So if I'm a tourist from Humboldt County (Go Lucky Loggers!) that is 700 miles north of Anaheim and Humboldt County is also in the Yellow Tier, I should be able to buy a ticket to Disneyland. Right? And if not, why not???

This might also be a way California theme parks could allow out-of-staters to get into theme parks. Governor Newsom made a big deal last spring about joining up with Governor Brown of Oregon and Governer Inslee of Washington to ensure the whole West Coast is moving forward together on Covid. That happy talk went absolutely nowhere over the summer, but it might be time to restart that "dynamic conversation" with those other states. Oregon and Washington could align their county tracking systems so that their citizens in safe counties could visit and purchase goods and services from safe California counties, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

>>Disney’s reopening record isn’t quite as spotless as Hymel says, but Newsom has given no indication that the track record of Disney parks outside of California is a factor in his decision-making. He also hasn’t really elaborated on what specific information he needs to issue guidelines for theme parks or why that information wasn’t needed.

Unfortunately for Disney, Newsom holds all the cards. And barring some kind of judicial intervention, it sure looks like Disneyland will only reopen when the governor gets whatever evidence he’s looking for.<<

Gottalovepluto

>>Disney’s reopening record isn’t quite as spotless as Hymel says, but Newsom has given no indication that the track record of Disney parks outside of California is a factor in his decision-making. He also hasn’t really elaborated on what specific information he needs to issue guidelines for theme parks or why that information wasn’t needed.

Unfortunately for Disney, Newsom holds all the cards. And barring some kind of judicial intervention, it sure looks like Disneyland will only reopen when the governor gets whatever evidence he’s looking for.<<
That author doesn’t get any research awards. “28k people laid of in CA” + reference to that Daily Beast article that had more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese. Yikes...

lazyboy97o

The easiest would be to run a credit card hold when making a reservation. The billing address would have to be in the allowed area.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disneyland has adopted a host of COVID-19 health and safety recommendations from the local health agency after medical officials toured Disney’s Anaheim theme parks that have been closed by the global pandemic for nearly seven months.

Orange County Health Care Agency Director Clayton Chau and the agency’s Communicable Disease Control Division Medical Director Matthew Zahn offered recommendations after a tour last week of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure to observe the safety measures implemented by the parks."

“We have been engaged with Disney for the reopening of their theme parks,” Chau said in a statement. “Both Dr. Zahn and I have walked the parks to evaluate their plan as well as to give our recommendations.”

"Disneyland adopted several COVID-19 health and safety recommendations from O.C. Health officials following a tour of Disney’s Anaheim theme parks, including:

• Adding Spanish language signs with health and safety protocol information
  • Placing ground markings outside restrooms to help minimize cross traffic
  • Installing additional hand sanitizing stations at attractions
Disney officials said they appreciate the visits by local health officials and look forward to continuing to work closely with them."

"Chau and Zahn have worked with the California Department of Public Health, California Health and Human Services and Gov. Newsom’s administration on reopening guidelines for Disneyland, DCA and other California theme parks.

In conversations with CDPH and health officers from counties that have theme parks, I have advocated for theme parks to be safely reopened in Tier 3 — the Orange Tier,” Chau said in a statement."

Ldno

Honestly being able to enforce were your from wouldn’t be hard, just like they scrutinize AP members with ID’s they can also scrutinize theme park guests by forcing us to use the Disneyland APP to Purchase tickets and see if we change our address within the last 10 days of them announcing the changes if need be and deny entry.

They keep tabs on us and our guest, wouldn’t be hard to enforce it to be honest, even if you bought a paper ticket they would probably check for an ID, we will see, Disney is forcing mobile use down our throats, nothing surprises me anymore but seriously not being able to go to Disneyland sucks more because I have friends wanting to plan a trip who still don’t know the bad news about them not possibly being open for a long time, but they can’t comprehend what they are Trying to do in the state of California!

Not to mention tickets from texas to california are dirt cheap but who’s counting hahaha why Newsom, WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Last edited:

DavidDL

The easiest would be to run a credit card hold when making a reservation. The billing address would have to be in the allowed area.

I wondered how this would work and how strictly it would be enforced. Regarding something TP2000 said, San Diegans under the 120 mile radius rule wouldn't be allowed to visit Universal Studios. I'm in San Diego, however, my driver's license and one of my payment cards still has my parent's home in the Anaheim area listed as my "primary" residence. So I've got a debit card with a billing address in Anaheim and a credit card with a San Diego billing address. My wife on the other hand, is entirely San Diegan billing address.

If they went the route you were mentioning, would there be anything stopping me (or I guess technically anyone) from simply using my debit card to purchase two tickets and then technically qualify for a trip to Universal Studios for the both of us? When I bought tickets for Knott's Fall-O-Ween event for my father's birthday, I used my card to pay and was able to simply put the ticket into he and my mother's name and they went.

I wonder if there will be sneaky work-arounds like that present. -and if my time as a CM has taught me anything, it's that folks will do all sorts of crazy things for work-arounds or if they can make a quick buck. There was one individual who used to get on the Rivers of America early (front and center, before the ticketed system) with multiple blankets to save space for Fantasmic!. Then, said individual would go onto Craigslist and the like and literally sell that viewing space to in-park Guests willing to buy it, vacating the area once said Guests showed up to take their place. They did this all the time and we knew about it as CMs and yet for some reason, we weren't allowed to do anything about it as Guest Control CMs. If there are any kind of work arounds through others purchasing tickets, then you can bet that greedy scalpers within the 120 mile radius will take advantage of that to make money and possibly sneak "out of towners" in.

I guess I just feel like Guests will find a way if there are any cracks in the system anyways. Depends how it's implemented, I suppose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom