Obi-Wan Kenobi film in the works

SBlake

I doubt Vader and Obi-Wan will meet one another in this.

In the original Star Wars, Vader says to Obi-Wan:
"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

This tells me they don't encounter one another post Ep 3 until the Death Star in Ep 4.

Screamface

I'm really excited for this, but I had such dread for it. I worry they'll make Obi-Wan a loser, who can't rely on his own strength of character to overcome hurdles. Where it'll be another Jedi that overshines him and shows him how to be a hero. That garbage trope.

VJ

I doubt Vader and Obi-Wan will meet one another in this.

In the original Star Wars, Vader says to Obi-Wan:
"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

This tells me they don't encounter one another post Ep 3 until the Death Star in Ep 4.
in return of the jedi obi-wan tells luke "what i told you was true... from a certain point of view"

use the same logic here ;)

Screamface

Vader can still skill up if he loses a duel to Obi-Wan in the show.

What is sad is that it seems the Star Wars community is resigning themselves to the fact this show will disappoint and damage Kenobi as a character.

It is going to be truly an epic fail for Disney Star Wars if the fans could look at the trailer and predict how the show will stuff up the character from such little bread crumbs.

Obi-Wan will be a failure in the show. Not a hero in a dark time, but a failure. The inquisitor will really be a hero and teach Obi-Wan the true meaning of being a hero/Jedi and will save Luke in some situation where Obi-Wan is failing.

If anything remotely close to that happens, the show should never have been made. The entirety of Disney Star Wars will basically have been about undermining the legacy characters.

Please surprise us and not be bad!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Vader can still skill up if he loses a duel to Obi-Wan in the show.

What is sad is that it seems the Star Wars community is resigning themselves to the fact this show will disappoint and damage Kenobi as a character.

It is going to be truly an epic fail for Disney Star Wars if the fans could look at the trailer and predict how the show will stuff up the character from such little bread crumbs.

Obi-Wan will be a failure in the show. Not a hero in a dark time, but a failure. The inquisitor will really be a hero and teach Obi-Wan the true meaning of being a hero/Jedi and will save Luke in some situation where Obi-Wan is failing.

If anything remotely close to that happens, the show should never have wbeen made. The entirety of Disney Star Wars will basically have been about undermining the legacy characters.

Please surprise us and not be bad!

Yes, I'd like a surprise. What makes a surprise a surprise if I don't try to guess at it first, or read about leaks, or scour trailers for clues to the surprise, or see if there's some comic or novel that the story will be following.... because that ruins the surprise.

What the fans want -- according to their own internal plotline that they make up in their head -- and what they guess at is the problem.

Rarely are the fans going to come up with the same plotline as the writers. And rarely to the fans rightly guess the twists and surprises, mostly because they're kept as a surprise.

And then when the movie/series doesn't do what they thought it should have done, they get angry.

Disney and other studios are partly to blame for all their teasers and all their laid-out plot lines in trailers. But ""fans"" demanding trailers and glomming onto leaks and making up in advance the one and only presumed plotline that they will be happy with is the other part of the problem.

I'd love for a Marvel or Star Wars movie/series to come out in which there is no pre-existing comic or book and there's only one trailer with very little in it... perhaps just a scene cut from the movie preferably ("we cut this scene, but, we're sharing this to give you an idea of more to come!!").

You don't get this kind of fandom feeding frenzy from a Pixar or Disney Animation movie based on an original story, and yet, those films turn out to be excellent and well-received. And without any trailers or leaks or wild speculation.

Fans pre-invested into a story, one which they go crazy with in their minds, is the problem.

doctornick

I'd love for a Marvel or Star Wars movie/series to come out in which there is no pre-existing comic or book and there's only one trailer with very little in it... perhaps just a scene cut from the movie preferably ("we cut this scene, but, we're sharing this to give you an idea of more to come!!").

You mean like The Mandalorian?

Not having preconceived notions of what "should" happen or what fans want to happen is certainly a difficult thing to effectively traverse. I think it is why it is easier to have free standing entertainment set in the same universe as opposed to using already established characters. I'm intrigued by The Acolyte for example as I have no idea what that is about.

It's tougher for Marvel since even new characters for the MCU are based on existing comics.

Screamface

And then when the movie/series doesn't do what they thought it should have done, they get angry.

Fans pre-invested into a story, one which they go crazy with in their minds, is the problem.

I honestly don't think this is really the case at all from my observation. I have only ever seen it as a narrative used to protect Hollywood creatives and to deny/block any form of criticism. No matter how valid.

People not wanting the Kenobi show to make the character a failure and a loser. Like Disney did to Luke Skywalker. Is not having some giant plotline the show must adhere to. The idea that people have connections to characters and don't like them being fundamentally ruined and changed is some kind of gatekeeping is ridiculous.

Fans not getting what they want and being upset. Just seems like a narrative that expects fandoms and audiences as consumers who aren't meant to be catered to at all. Just consume blindly. Some strange Ayn Randian view for creatives.

It also seems to be cover for Hollywood to disrespect franchises and source material. If the Elves in the new Lord of the Rings TV show are wearing trainers and communicate via iPhone. Fans complaining is not some weird gatekeeping.

No one knew what Mando would be, or Baby Yoda existed but they enjoyed it. Fans enjoy good material.

Anyway, it was confirmed today that Disney has no faith in Kenobi being well received. The memo went out that it's the "first" racially diverse Star Wars property and the fans are all racist. Code for, the writing sucks and label anyone complaining racist. They didn't feel the need to put out the memo for the most recent show, which had racially diverse leads and mixed reception.

Last edited:

Phroobar

iu

Phroobar

You seem to not understand television and film is subjective… you on more than occasion seem to suggest people with a differing opinion than you is wrong… example… people who find Iman Vellani adorable and perfect in the role of Ms. Marvel
Calling the kettle black much?

DKampy

Calling the kettle black much?
Not really… I understand people can have differing opinions… for example my favorite Star Wars series is Andor and my least favorite series Ashoka…yes even worse then Boba Fett but I understand not everyone agrees with me
Even as far as Ms. Marvel was concerned… when I replied to you I said your opinion was in the minority, but I never said you were wrong for having it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom