NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

twinnstar

I agree that Mission: Space is a great ride, i love it, but I havent been on it more than twice (and the second time I only went on cause I was with someone who had never been) Its not that I dont like thrill rides - cause i do, but thats not why I'm at Disney.

I think if they want to cater to the thrill ride crowd, they would be much better off doing a mix - sort of like Splash Mountain. It's got the Disney magic - but then a thrill at the end. Makes everyone happy. Do I go on that cause of the drop? No way. But the drop just adds to the fun!

I think Disney should try to focus on a couple more attractions like that!

bubbles1812

But unless I'm very much mistaken, (and it is possible---I won't ride it until next February) RR is *not* what you are asking for when you say you want "thrill rides."

No it isn't but you mentioned it so I just made a suggestion about it. And possibly a way for them to save money since Disney seems very bent on that right now since some of the existing infrastructure could be used. I also made a point in my post that I said in my theoretical 5th park that some of it would need to be thrill rides. Some (I'd say a decent amount) but not all certainly. I'd say the same about any new lands/rides the make...there just needs to be a better balance. I'm not opposed to rides that everyone can ride at all. They are fine. Peter Pan is one of my absolute favorites. I'm just saying I think whatever Disney does do in the hopefully near future, isn't all just non thrill rides.

I'd love to see a new Everest type ride or even like twinnstar just suggested, something along the lines of Splash Mountain. Thrill doesn't necessarily mean Roller Coaster...though I wouldn't be opposed to that at all ;) I'd just be nice to see Disney pushing the bounds of ride technology again. I remember watching a show on ToT once...that was revolutionary. I'd like to see Disney do something like that again.

Maglutak

Seriously?

Guess you're not talking about what has been voted best ride in the world??

And one that is an amazingly technically complex attraction?

Can't be USF The Mummy then.

It must've been a joke... Revenge of the Mummy is up there with Tower of Terror, Forbidden Journey and Spiderman as one of the most intricate and amazing attractions. Definitely my favorite roller coaster of all time and WAY more than "some wooden cut-outs".

Brian Noble

I'd love to see a new Everest type ride or even like twinnstar just suggested, something along the lines of Splash Mountain.
And that's fine. But, that's not at all what I hear when I hear that people want "more thrills". And, as I understand it, neither of them approach FJ in terms of intensity.

Honestly, I suspect you're on pretty safe ground if "Everest/Splash" is your expectation going forward. True, the Fantasyland expansion may not provide it, but you never know---Mine Train could turn out to be fun---and the next thing after that might well.

magicallactose

Exactly. We tried single layer video and it caused motion sickness. It was determined that synch. between motion and video was not the cause in this case. What we are working on now is extremely labor intensive and technically complex and will make for a very realistic experience. The results based on early tests are stunning. let's hope the support, financially and otherwise, continues as it has so far.

I'm so fascinated by the tech going into this train ride. What do you mean by 'layers' of video? Are you referring to several different projections to achieve 3D? And if this is 3D, will it be glasses-free?

bubbles1812

And that's fine. But, that's not at all what I hear when I hear that people want "more thrills". And, as I understand it, neither of them approach FJ in terms of intensity.

Honestly, I suspect you're on pretty safe ground if "Everest/Splash" is your expectation going forward. True, the Fantasyland expansion may not provide it, but you never know---Mine Train could turn out to be fun---and the next thing after that might well.

Well, like I said in my post, truthfully, I'd love to see something groundbreaking like they did with ToT back in the day or heck, even RRC is quite unique when it comes down to it. And Everest, at least from the standpoint of the yeti was pretty ground breaking though not necessarily the roller coaster itself...though we know how that has turned out. Ideally I'd want to see them do something as cool as the HP ride...or the new train ride. It sounds freaking awesome if even half o what has been discussed here comes to fruitation.

But its Disney and where I could once trust them to be at the forefront of imagination and creativity in the ride department (as I said in my previous post)...I now sadly have to temper my expections. I am absolutely sure the Mine Train will be fun to ride but I don't think it's going to be anything truly super special. In all reality it is a family coaster with a bit of swinging...if they even get that right. And I'll take a Splash Mountain like ride if that is the only thing I can get though Disney should strive higher than that. As I've said before, I actually do see the potential even in an Avatarland (though again, I feel they should have chosen a stronger brand and sorry just using it as an example as it is an announced project though we'll see if it ever sees the actual light of day) and could see really cool rides coming out of it...but Disney actually has to want to take that step and break some new ground.

I am sure there are imagineers working for Disney that have great ideas like the HP ride...but they aren't exactly allowed to shine. Not this decade. And so the imagineers go elsewhere and work at other companies and make awesome rides for them. I forget where it was in this thread that that was discussed but it was mentioned. And in the original article it talked about many at Universal being former Disney employees as well.

bubbles1812

An interesting theory. So do you think WDW will not add a 5th Gate because it already has enough to keep busy for a week?

Even 2 years after it's opening UO's tv commercials continue to emphasize WWOHP. On the other hand, WDW commercials could have been made 20 years ago. In other words, UO seems to be pushing its strength, the hottest ride in Orlando, while WDW continues to push its strengh, its timelessness.

If this really is WDW's marketing strategy, then adding a 5th Gate gets them nothing. However, I can imagine that next year's commercials might emphasize FLE. I can almost hear "Come see the new magic at Fantasyland" or some other such slogan.

Could WDW eventually become in danger of losing its timelessness though? I'm not saying it. I'm just posing a question. I don't think it has right now or for at least the near future.

But some of its rides are very old in ride years and are very in need of repair...not as in a patch here or there, but as in major major rehab (and I know some would argue at least AK/DHS need a bit of a total makeover). I don't think most visitors notice the things some of people on this board do but eventually Disney at least is going to have to clean up the parks and issues with the rides. If everything finally is broken on Splash Mountain for example, even general visitors will start to notice. It won't exactly look/feel so timeless when that happens.

I honestly think Disney could really use to do a new marketing strategy.

magicallactose

Sorry if I sound obsessed,... But I was looking up some bleeding edge tech that might be used for the Hogwarts express. Is this the type of thing you guys are working on? (Perhaps something even more advanced than this?)

It's very impressive for a glasses-free 3D display. It provides full HD, three dimensional images for multiple viewers within a given viewing range (The cabin set up of the train could easily keep people within this range, I'd think).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiaInndP1S0

whylightbulb

I'm so fascinated by the tech going into this train ride. What do you mean by 'layers' of video? Are you referring to several different projections to achieve 3D? And if this is 3D, will it be glasses-free?
Not exactly. There will be a dimensionality to it but I wouldn't call it full-fledged 3D. The realism of the imagery will make it appear as though you are looking through a window as opposed to a video. We will achieve this both by the hardware and software.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not exactly. There will be a dimensionality to it but I wouldn't call it full-fledged 3D. The realism of the imagery will make it appear as though you are looking through a window as opposed to a video. We will achieve this both by the hardware and software.

layered displays possibly? like the transparent LCDs you see on slot machines, etc.

Brian Noble

If this really is WDW's marketing strategy, then adding a 5th Gate gets them nothing. However, I can imagine that next year's commercials might emphasize FLE. I can almost hear "Come see the new magic at Fantasyland" or some other such slogan.
But, adding "exciting and new" things has nothing to do with whether you build a fifth gate. You can put exciting new things in existing parks, or you can build a new park to hold them. But, building a new park is a huge one-time capital investment. It requires all sorts of infrastructure that is already there at existing parks. You need to build at least "half a park" all at once, rather than adding incrementally.

Either expansion or a fifth gate gets you more "exciting new" things. But, the fifth gate is a less efficient way to get there. So, it's not worth doing unless you can extend the average stay.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even 2 years after it's opening UO's tv commercials continue to emphasize WWOHP. On the other hand, WDW commercials could have been made 20 years ago. In other words, UO seems to be pushing its strength, the hottest ride in Orlando, while WDW continues to push its strengh, its timelessness.
Nothing new. Disney advertise the last built attraction in a particular park as 'new' for years after...

magicallactose

Wow, now I'm even more intrigued by what this will look like. It sounds like you guys are really thinking outside the box and trying to show us something we've never experienced before. Also, from what you are saying, it sounds like 3D glasses will not be needed on this ride? Very interesting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm imagining a duel (or more) layer screen, like Mission Spaces reflected layer, that gives depth perception and an illusion of parallax?

Magenta Panther

That 3D tech is amazing! Years ago, I was attending a tech convention, and one booth had a "holographic" image of Marilyn Monroe. She appeared 3-dimensional, and when you walked by to her left, she air-kissed at you. (The figure was enclosed in glass, and was in black-and-white - I was told that the image was created using actual footage of Monroe; it was not a CG recreation or some such). The effect was amazing. I wonder how much holograms have progressed since then...?

bubbles1812

Would it be safe to assume it wont be a "train", just the illusion that you are boarding one?
I believe it is going to be an actual train or very train like ride vehicles are going to be used modeled after the Hogwarts Express... But then it is going to be enhanced via the "windows" which will not really be windows but video projection type somethings

Jimmy Thick

Well good for Disney! That is an enviable position to be in and certainly says a lot about what's important in the evolution of human achievement - as long as we can continue to lower the quality of our product and make people believe it's magical than we have reached the pinnacle of success! After all that is what's important...produce the worst quality we can and charge the most we can get out of the suckers.

Who thinks the quality of Disney World has lowered? A few people posting on the internet who complain about it but keep going back? You really think they are valid sources of critical thinking?

Ever think maybe, just maybe be someone first experience with a theme park atmosphere could be one of those traveling carnivals featuring rigged games, horrible rides and careless carnys and when they they go to Disney World, and lets face it, people go to Disney World first, they then compare the parking lot carnival to what they get to Disney World and see what real quality is all about?

Maybe?

The average amount of doom and gloomers posting on these forums with critical eyes towards Disney management is under a thousand. The average amount of people who believe in the magic is millions.

And guess what, they all keep going back.

Jimmy Thick- Parks are fine to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom