NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

bubbles1812

Who thinks the quality of Disney World has lowered? A few people posting on the internet who complain about it but keep going back? You really think they are valid sources of critical thinking?

Ever think maybe, just maybe be someone first experience with a theme park atmosphere could be one of those traveling carnivals featuring rigged games, horrible rides and careless carnys and when they they go to Disney World, and lets face it, people go to Disney World first, they then compare the parking lot carnival to what they get to Disney World and see what real quality is all about?

Maybe?

The average amount of doom and gloomers posting on these forums with critical eyes towards Disney management is under a thousand. The average amount of people who believe in the magic is millions.

And guess what, they all keep going back.

Jimmy Thick- Parks are fine to me.

You do realize the same thing could be said about Universal right? For people who experience that first? Or even for people who don't. I'm not saying Disney and Universal are the exact same when it comes to "believing/seeing the magic" but Universal is leaps and bounds above any traveling carnival and I'd argue most theme parks as well....they have fairly nice themed areas, good quality rides that are varied in their design, and are also cleaning it up so that it looks better cleanliness wise. (It wasn't always this way but Universal is getting there. Universal certainly has its flaws too). And they are also improving their quality as evidenced by the fact that Comcast is going to pump $150 million into the parks per year for at least I think the next 5 years above and beyond the maintenance/employee payroll/ect. That's more than Disney is certainly. Yes, new FLE is expensive but they aren't planning to do that every year over the next 5.

And that is great you think the parks are fine. It's your opinion. I actually think the parks are fine too, at least to a degree. I love it when I'm there. I have fun and I feel the magic. But I also see many areas that could be improved upon. And I'd like to see the Disney TDO make the same commitment management at Universal is...heck even how the management at DL is. And I recognize the average park goer doesn't see probably a decent amount of the things needing repair or maybe that DHS/AK can feel a little lacking at times. But if Disney does not do something major eventually even average park goers will begin to notice. Splash can only break down so many times. When Universal and many of the other Orlando theme parks are offering new things on a relatively constant basis and Disney stagnates, people will notice. They can only coast on the nostalgia factor so much.

You just simply refuse to see that Disney can, and will lose money if they continue along at their current "same old, same old." Adding one more Meet and Greet does not a problem fix. It's not like its just me who now takes time to go visit Universal when I go to Florida. There are many many people who are now taking that time. And again, as said by many posters earlier including myself, ANY time not spent at Disney because the competition finally attracted Disney goers away from Disney that would have been otherwise at Disney IS lost revenue. It doesn't matter if it is is just half a day or if it was even just one soda...that's one soda someone didn't buy from Disney. And one soda times several million can add up pretty darn fast. It doesn't matter how many more in total attendance Disney gets that Universal. Honestly it's pretty irrelevant. It's about how much money the competition can take away from Disney before the balance is tipped to where they have to do something.

My post isn't doom and gloom. Again, I love Disney, love it. People can be critical and still love something. I think the management does well at somethings though not others. My post is based from a purely economic stance that has been proven time and time again. If your competition ups their game, you have to as well or get left behind.

Studios Fan

I would like to see TDO do more to compete with Universal. It's a shame that none of the parks (save for MK) have gotten any new rides in the last few years. If DHS and DAK were local parks instead of part of the WDW system, they would really be hurting. There is no reason they couldn't add something major (D/E) to one of the parks each year.

RSoxNo1

Who thinks the quality of Disney World has lowered? A few people posting on the internet who complain about it but keep going back? You really think they are valid sources of critical thinking?
The quality of Disney World has stayed the same or lowered. The problem is the competition is getting closer to Disney's level.

WDW1974

The quality of Disney World has stayed the same or lowered. The problem is the competition is getting closer to Disney's level.

It hasn't stayed the same. It has steadily gone downhill from the mid/late 1990s to today. Sure, some small things have improved here and there. But the overall product is a pale shadow of its former self ... wanna see what Disney can do (when forced to by a market that expects more than Walmart quality)? Check out all the OCD fanboi bloggers showing the world what's happening in Anaheim this summer.

You can argue with the ignorant folks who don't care if they get a lower quality product until Dumbo flies out of your behind, but to what end? There are folks who simply like lower quality offerings ... people with simpler tastes, yes, those folks are loving WDW as it is and are quite content it isn't the higher caliber product it once was because it might take them out of their own comfort zones. But being a one percenter and all, they tend to make me feel uncomfortable ... just hate the smell of average.:D

jt04

Been hearing this since Uni opened. Still not buying it. Perhaps the new PotterLand and SW's 'Arctic' will change my mind.

whylightbulb

It hasn't stayed the same. It has steadily gone downhill from the mid/late 1990s to today. Sure, some small things have improved here and there. But the overall product is a pale shadow of its former self ... wanna see what Disney can do (when forced to by a market that expects more than Walmart quality)? Check out all the OCD fanboi bloggers showing the world what's happening in Anaheim this summer.

You can argue with the ignorant folks who don't care if they get a lower quality product until Dumbo flies out of your behind, but to what end? There are folks who simply like lower quality offerings ... people with simpler tastes, yes, those folks are loving WDW as it is and are quite content it isn't the higher caliber product it once was because it might take them out of their own comfort zones. But being a one percenter and all, they tend to make me feel uncomfortable ... just hate the smell of average.:D
I have yet to hear anyone that has visited TDL/TDS disagree with any of this. What more needs to be said? Did you get my email?

whylightbulb

Ever think maybe, just maybe be someone first experience with a theme park atmosphere could be one of those traveling carnivals featuring rigged games, horrible rides and careless carnys and when they they go to Disney World, and lets face it, people go to Disney World first, they then compare the parking lot carnival to what they get to Disney World and see what real quality is all about?

Maybe?

The average amount of doom and gloomers posting on these forums with critical eyes towards Disney management is under a thousand. The average amount of people who believe in the magic is millions.

And guess what, they all keep going back.

Jimmy Thick- Parks are fine to me.
There are plenty of people that recognize the steady decline of WDW. I talk to new people all the time that have never heard of these online forums and still believe WDW is nowhere near as good as it was fifteen years ago.

But really that isn't the main point. Even if you were right that has nothing to do with the facts. The facts are that the everything from the food quality to merchandise to attractions have all gone down steadily. This is not subjective. I've gone into statistics, personal experience from Disney projects I've worked on, and personal experience having visited WDW since 1971. In the same way that there is a difference between a Lexus and a Hugo in terms of quality workmanship etc., there is a marked difference between the Disney product being churned out today vs. pre-1995.

Whylightbulb- WDW needs an extreme makeover.

bubbles1812

Been hearing this since Uni opened. Still not buying it. Perhaps the new PotterLand and SW's 'Arctic' will change my mind.
Am just curious, when was the last time you actually visited Universal? By" opening", do you mean when the park first opened? Or do you mean since they opened Potter 1.0? Because if you mean in the time period before Potter 1.0 opened then I would agree with your statement. I've actually said/thought that the Uni was dying in slow degrees before they acquired Potter. Nothing big was being done in the parks nor did they have the money for it nor did their owners really care. But, with the advent of Potter, Uni has been able to turn it around big time and I would say they are catching up...Disney is still ahead certainly but the gap is smaller.

WDW1974

I have yet to hear anyone that has visited TDL/TDS disagree with any of this. What more needs to be said? Did you get my email?

How many have been so lucky? Americans, by and large, don't travel anymore. They either don't have the money, the time, the desire or are afraid (hence the ridiculously priced Adventures By Disney tours). How many WDW 'fans' have been to O-Town 34 times, but haven't even been to Anaheim because the thought of Los Angeles and California in general scares them?

It's all tiring and tedious ... oh, yeah, I did just see your email (quite a bit behind with all my travels of late) ... will shoot you an answer tomorrow when I am awake!

flynnibus

Premium Member

Did you ever do Star Trek the Experience? This is just an example of the type of attractions that were opening that prior.. were comprehendable in a Disney park.. that no longer were exclusive to Disney. Themed and exquist areas? Vegas trumped them. Ride Design? Uni caught up and trumped them in many areas. Many things that used to be exclusive to Disney were no more...

This really has been true since the 90s.. everyone else was catching up while Disney was dumbing down.

HMButler79

WDW fans/apologists are starting to turn into the theme park version of teh Tea Party. Entrenched, delusional, waving at a parade that has LONG passed them by, and become livid when actual facts are used. Witness the freakout posts of hate and outright dismissiveness over Radiator Springs Racers and the whole DCA rebirth. They KNOW WDWs expiration date and reign has come and gone, and refuse to accept that "Walt's park" and the "The Other Park Down The Street" has dared usurp WDW.

jt04

Did you ever do Star Trek the Experience? This is just an example of the type of attractions that were opening that prior.. were comprehendable in a Disney park.. that no longer were exclusive to Disney. Themed and exquist areas? Vegas trumped them. Ride Design? Uni caught up and trumped them in many areas. Many things that used to be exclusive to Disney were no more...

This really has been true since the 90s.. everyone else was catching up while Disney was dumbing down.

No doubt there have been some examples of ride tech surpassing Disney. Probably designed in many cases by former Imagineers. But these experiences have yet to match the layers, immersion, and magic WDI still brings. Potter gets the closest so far. But from what I understand the show building is clearly visible when it shouldn't be. And some of the land is just previous attractions with a nice overlay. The new train ride is absolute genius. It not only serves a vital function it sounds like true immersion. This adds greatly to what already exists in the area and raises the bar exponentially if it is done right. FJ was a great advancement but this new attraction(s) truly could challange Disney. Reminds me a bit of where Microsoft was just before Apple got it together.

Really? Never been on E.T. at Universal? The Mummy? The Cat in the Hat? Spiderman? MIB?

All great attractions. I am only disappointed Disney has not taken these or similar technologies and 'plussed' them for thier own parks.

~objects in the mirror are closer than they appear~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom