Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

RSoxNo1

Probably not. My question was how Disney was going to get that type of info from reading my room key, which was what the OP I quoted was insinuating with no support as to how it would be accomplished.
Disney gets information from company on Warranty cards, that can be linked back to your e-mail address. But more importantly when you stay with them or buy a pass from them they get a certain amount of information. All of that is logged. With RFID readers in the parks they can track traffic patterns, spending, etc.

Clever Name

Probably not. My question was how Disney was going to get that type of info from reading my room key, which was what the OP I quoted was insinuating with no support as to how it would be accomplished.
The room key is just one data point. When several data points are linked together a bigger picture (i.e. more information) appears. It works just like a simple equation. 2 + X = 4. We can solve for X because we have enough data points.

P.S. Don't ever give your cell phone number to an auto dealer.

SirOinksALot

The data is cross referenced with your social network and net ID's including your email and shopiing habits on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

No.

Your credit lines (credit cards, car loans, mortgage, etc.) and earnings (salary, investments, banking, etc.) are also gathered.

No.

It's a complete profile including criminal and civil litigations in which you might have been involved.

No.

They also get your birth date, social security number, driver's license number and employment information.

Yes, no, no, no.

Wish it was.

It is.

What if we were expected to swipe the RFID card every time that we went into a ride or restaurant?

No.

With a GPS chip in the RFID card/wristband, they'll know where you are the whole time.

No.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You provide a lot of info to Disney travel reservations.. all of that will be available to them. Why you went to SS#s I have no idea - but you share a lot of info with Disney and those are all dimensions they will have available to pivot around.

dhall

The thing to keep in mind is that the RFID is given Disney more information for mining: much of what CleverName described is already being tracked by every major retailer you do business with, including Disney. If you've used a credit card at Disney, they have a profile on you. It's fairly trivial to match up the credit card account to a suprisingly complete demographic profile (trivial in the fortune 500 company spending $$$ to match everything up sense). Here's a fairly famous example from a few months ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

If you've seen the Lowe's commercials where they let you set up something called 'My Lowes' and access the exact products you've bought from them, down to the paint color, filter size, options? It's the same thing: Lowe's is keeping all that data and has for many years, tracking everything you've bought from them. Now, they're setting up a service where they'll share some of their data about you with you.

With just a credit card/room key, Disney can deduce your path from financial transaction to financial transaction. They've been tracking this for most of the last couple of decades. With RFID, they're adding a much more complete picture of how each guest uses the park: every attraction, restaurant, & shop you enter, to go along with the financial information that they're already tracking.

Disney's reputation as an IT customer isn't that great -- they're known for having lots of badly built, poorly maintained, mismatched systems. For all of the stories we get about cutbacks in attraction maintenance, they're track record for IT spending is (from what I hear) a lot worse. If anything, Disney is coming very late to the data mining party. A lot of the 1.5B is simply catching up to current technology, and a lot is due to the themepark business being a fairly unique business application of the technology.

The biggest foul-up about NextGen is that it became public at all: there's very little of value in it to guests. I have to disagree very strongly with Spirit -- this is going to go into every park and resort worldwide. The public facing parts: gate admission, ride reservations, customization of the experience -- all that will probably never get past Orlando.

Rasvar

Just for ref, that wristband is not just RFID and GPS. It is multiple RFID's of varying range and includes 802.11x technology. Not tin foil hatting here. Do you think this network and system is being added just for guest enhancement? Analytics are the future. I'm sure the retail side has already recognized the data they could get from this system. I wouldn't be surprised at all once the system was fully installed that the best access point coverage ends up being in the Emporium. At least, if I was involved with this system, I sure as heck would be pushing the data mining capabilities. It is not so much the personal information. That would only be a small part of what is useful for the personalized experience. They will want to know what certain demographics show interest in. What merchandise seems to cause people to linger around it for a longer time. Not only that, you purchase an item, they can then cross reference the amount of time spent looking at the display. Is it something someone hunted out. Was it something the child saw first and had the parent come over and got them to buy? Yes, the wristband is capable of doing that through AP triangulation inside the building. Now, this is not to say it will be happening from day one. But it is not about getting personal information on you as much as it is trying to figure out how someone like you may want to experience things or what you might be more likely to buy and figure out how to get you to where you might buy it.

They don't want to get your SS#, they don't want to get all of your personal information. They just want to find out how they might be able to get you to spend more money. It's why I always chuckle about people who worry about government getting information. If the government really wanted it, they just have to go to the corporation you deal with on a regular basis who have for more information on you than you can imagine and purchase it. I can't tell you how many people just toss out those privacy mailings and never reply to opt-out.

M.rudolf

Just for ref, that wristband is not just RFID and GPS. It is multiple RFID's of varying range and includes 802.11x technology. Not tin foil hatting here. Do you think this network and system is being added just for guest enhancement? Analytics are the future. I'm sure the retail side has already recognized the data they could get from this system. I wouldn't be surprised at all once the system was fully installed that the best access point coverage ends up being in the Emporium. At least, if I was involved with this system, I sure as heck would be pushing the data mining capabilities. It is not so much the personal information. That would only be a small part of what is useful for the personalized experience. They will want to know what certain demographics show interest in. What merchandise seems to cause people to linger around it for a longer time. Not only that, you purchase an item, they can then cross reference the amount of time spent looking at the display. Is it something someone hunted out. Was it something the child saw first and had the parent come over and got them to buy? Yes, the wristband is capable of doing that through AP triangulation inside the building. Now, this is not to say it will be happening from day one. But it is not about getting personal information on you as much as it is trying to figure out how someone like you may want to experience things or what you might be more likely to buy and figure out how to get you to where you might buy it.

They don't want to get your SS#, they don't want to get all of your personal information. They just want to find out how they might be able to get you to spend more money. It's why I always chuckle about people who worry about government getting information. If the government really wanted it, they just have to go to the corporation you deal with on a regular basis who have for more information on you than you can imagine and purchase it. I can't tell you how many people just toss out those privacy mailings and never reply to opt-out.
That still doesn't make it right or safe, the government has supposed checks and balances, Disney doesn't. I totally understand Disney wants to know how much I stuff my fat face,what toys I buy my kids, how often I leave my room and where I go when I do leave, but does that mean because they want it should they be able to have it. What happens when someone cracks the RFID code. Be a great tool for thieves and disgruntled spouses. Don't say it can't be cracked, today anything can be

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That still doesn't make it right or safe, the go government has supposed checks and balances, Disney doesn't. I totally understand Disney wants to know how much I stuff my fat face,what toys I buy my kids, how often I leave my room and shed I go when I do leave, but does that mean because they want it should they be able to have it.
The govt has no checks and balances anymore. That's what the media used to be for.

If you don't want to have your info analyzed by Disney simply don't go.

M.rudolf

The govt has no checks and balances anymore. That's what the media used to be for.

If you don't want to have your info analyzed by Disney simply don't go.
That's not the answer people have to suffer due to company practices, Disney should have an opt out.its not just Disney its everyone Microsoft, google, apple everyone does it

Rasvar

That still doesn't make it right or safe, the government has supposed checks and balances, Disney doesn't. I totally understand Disney wants to know how much I stuff my fat face,what toys I buy my kids, how often I leave my room and shed I go when I do leave, but does that mean because they want it should they be able to have it. What happens when someone cracks the RFID code. Be a great tool for thieves and disgruntled spouses. Don't say it can't be cracked, today anything can be

Crack the code? What do you think the RFID has? The RFID is nothing more than an id code. It doesn't carry the personal information on it. All of that data is in the backend servers. If the have hacked the backend, then Disney has a whole bigger set of problems. As it is, the only thing they can do is post things back to your room portfolio with things bought on Disney property. Your credit card info is not in the band. Not sure what you think a disgruntled spouse will find out. An unplanned rendezvous with Belle or Beast? Trust me, I am paranoid about the uses. But my feeling is if I don't want them to have the info, I just won't engage in the process. If I have to engage, then they lose my business. But when it comes to being cracked, I'm not saying it can't be. I'm just saying that there isn't a lot to be gained from it unless the backend is hacked. If that happens, Disney has some financial culpability.

M.rudolf

Crack the code? What do you think the RFID has? The RFID is nothing more than an id code. It doesn't carry the personal information on it. All of that data is in the backend servers. If the have hacked the backend, then Disney has a whole bigger set of problems. As it is, the only thing they can do is post things back to your room portfolio with things bought on Disney property. Your credit card info is not in the band. Not sure what you think a disgruntled spouse will find out. An unplanned rendezvous with Belle or Beast? Trust me, I am paranoid about the uses. But my feeling is if I don't want them to have the info, I just won't engage in the process. If I have to engage, then they lose my business. But when it comes to being cracked, I'm not saying it can't be. I'm just saying that there isn't a lot to be gained from it unless the backend is hacked. If that happens, Disney has some financial culpability.
If it contains credit card info a lot can be lost even if a pin is needed for over 50 dollar purchases. I'm in agreement if Disney offers an opt out I will have no complaints. Also I know exactly what RFID is that's why I have issues with it. I would need to crack the back end to repeat the signal the devices give out. Just like with a car remote if I can reproduce the signal I can gain entry into the vehicle. The credit info may not be in the band but the access code is. What could a disgruntled spouse find out. What time I left, what I did step by step, where I ate what I ate and how many people attended, what I purchased. Etc

Rasvar

If it contains credit card info a lot can be lost even if a pin is needed for over 50 dollar purchases. I'm in agreement if Disney offers an opt out I will have no complaints
Trust me, the last thing Disney wants to deal with is angry people disputing charges at the front desk. Having worked at vacation location that had the ability to charge to the room, there is nothing worse than dealing with that. Disney has as much reason to make sure that stays secure as you do. Plus, these things are not just one RFID, there are multiple in the unit. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is integrated with a photo identification. No reason why a photo of the person the code is attached too would not pop up on the screen of the register as an identity verification. It would be the first thing I would program into it. I would think the easiest way to opt out of that is to not include charging capability to the unit. Just not sure if there will be a full opt-out option. It is too integrated with too many systems.

M.rudolf

Trust me, the last thing Disney wants to deal with is angry people disputing charges at the front desk. Having worked at vacation location that had the ability to charge to the room, there is nothing worse than dealing with that. Disney has as much reason to make sure that stays secure as you do. Plus, these things are not just one RFID, there are multiple in the unit. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is integrated with a photo identification. No reason why a photo of the person the code is attached too would not pop up on the screen of the register as an identity verification. It would be the first thing I would program into it. I would think the easiest way to opt out of that is to not include charging capability to the unit. Just not sure if there will be a full opt-out option. It is too integrated with too many systems.
I don't disagree I just think that an education on what the possibilities of the tech is, should be given. There are great possibilities for it. There are also things that are possibly dangerous. As it is now I think Disney should include pictures on present room keys, but the additional time it would take makes it less possible

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Now I know why the regulars have a love/hate relationship with this place - posters like these two. Share a little honest, verifiable information, get burned.

Not to get in the middle of this love-in, but I think you'll find most of the regulars enjoy this site quite a bit. Which is why they've stuck around for so long....

RSoxNo1

Funny, you weren't calling me a plant then, or questioning my knowledge, or challenging the things that have proven accurate. Just kept asking questions and assured me of your ability to keep it in confidence.

Now I know why the regulars have a love/hate relationship with this place - posters like these two. Share a little honest, verifiable information, get burned.
Did I post any of the information you gave me? All I did was say that you messaged me when your credibility was questioned. People are suspicious of all new information until the source is proven credible. It's how things work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom