Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

Clever Name

Mortgage notes and deeds are in the public domain, but they only reference amounts and properties. The SSN information for loans are usually found on a HUD-1 form and other bank loan paperwork, which is not filed for record....
Depends upon the jurisdiction and how hard you look. But, that was just one example. There are many other options. I didn't not intend this to be a lesson on how to extract information.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Depends upon the jurisdiction and how hard you look. But, that was just one example. There are many other options.

No, actually it doesn't. There are federal and state laws in place prohibiting the placing of such information on mortgage documents. Which is why the HUD forms are in place.....

Clever Name

No, actually it doesn't. There are federal and state laws in place prohibiting the placing of such information on mortgage documents. Which is why the HUD form are in place.
Houses have been bought and sold long before HUD was created. There is also a federal law that prohibits the use of social secuirty numbers on driver's licenses or vehicle registrations. The law went into effect in December, 2005 yet it was not made retroactive. None of the old data had to be redacted. As I said, it depends upon where you look.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Houses have been bought and sold long before HUD was created.

Of course they were. And done so without the use of SSNs or extensive credit/background checks. But that doesn't change the fact that recorded mortgage documents today don't include that information on them.....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How about marital status? How about address? How about loan amounts?

I already stated that the loan amounts and property location (obviously) are on recorded mortgage documents. As are obviously names, with the inference of a man and a woman having the same last name being what they are....

Clever Name

I already stated that the loan amounts and property location (obviously) are on recorded mortgage documents. As are obviously names, with the inference of a man and a woman having the same last name being what they are....

For your information:

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. - Penny Wilson says she’s extremely protective of her personal information. The New Port Richey woman shreds her documents and even Googles herself from time to time, just to see what pops up.

That’s why Wilson was surprised to find her Social Security number online after she typed her name into a local government website.

The ABC Action News I-Team has uncovered dozens of cases in which government websites post Social Security numbers online, on websites that are easily accessible and open to the public.

Losing control of your Social Security number could ruin your financial life. An identity thief could open a bank account or get a loan in your name.

That was on Wilson’s mind when she looked herself up on the Pasco County property appraiser’s website.

"I couldn’t believe it. Right there, on the computer, is my Social Security number for anyone to see," Wilson said.

After typing her name into a records search, some mortgage documents came up, with her and her husband’s Social Security numbers clearly shown.

"That’s my information," Wilson said. "That’s tied to my credit. That’s everything in my life, you know?"

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...er-social-security-number-on-a-county-website

flynnibus

Premium Member
When we pay to get into the park we expect to have an opportunity to have the same experience since we paid the same price. I believe the reason this really upsets so many of us is that is conflicts with the egalitarianism we expect as Americans. It screams hipocracy when you see Main Street, the Hall of Presidents, and all of the patriotic symbolism. Capitalism is the country's economic value not our citizenship values. Because we believe..."All people are created equal".....
When we are forced to confront evidence of this conflict it makes us feel "icky".

Really? Do you feel 'icky' when you see people driving nicer cars than you on the road?
Or how about when someone bought that more expensive concert seat than you? Or how about the theater? Or how about buying the brand clothes or food vs the store brand?

Where is this egalitarianism expectation in every other aspect of life? Why is it think there exists this loyalty to equality when it comes to theme parks vs everywhere else? Or are people driving in the HOV lane supposed to be embarrassed because they don't sit in traffic?

America is about EQUAL OPPORTUNITY - not EQUAL DISTRIBUTION.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
For your information:

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. - Penny Wilson says she’s extremely protective of her personal information. The New Port Richey woman shreds her documents and even Googles herself from time to time, just to see what pops up.

That’s why Wilson was surprised to find her Social Security number online after she typed her name into a local government website.

The ABC Action News I-Team has uncovered dozens of cases in which government websites post Social Security numbers online, on websites that are easily accessible and open to the public.

Losing control of your Social Security number could ruin your financial life. An identity thief could open a bank account or get a loan in your name.

That was on Wilson’s mind when she looked herself up on the Pasco County property appraiser’s website.

"I couldn’t believe it. Right there, on the computer, is my Social Security number for anyone to see," Wilson said.

After typing her name into a records search, some mortgage documents came up, with her and her husband’s Social Security numbers clearly shown.

"That’s my information," Wilson said. "That’s tied to my credit. That’s everything in my life, you know?"

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...er-social-security-number-on-a-county-website

Wow, entirely chagrined now.....

Clever Name

Wow, entirely chagrined now.....
Don't be. It's more common than most people think. Redaction programs often don't work properly and in some jurisdictions, they just don't care enough to remove the information. Or they only remove the information if they get a complaint. Data miners such as Disney love these records.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Don't be. It's more common than most people think. Redaction programs often don't work properly and in some jurisdictions, they just don't care enough to remove the information. Or they only remove the information if they get a complaint. Data miners such as Disney love these records.

Ok, feel much better now....

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
For your information:

That's why it's useless to try and prevent your number and info from getting out there. It's out there, so admit it and protect yourself.

I take it very seriously, people opening a bank account in my name is the least of my concerns. My concern is tax fraud, medical fraud, SSN fraud, THOSE are the heavy hitters, and Identity Theft is now more lucrative than selling drugs. I have a product that, if I am a victim, will work on my behalf to restore my credit AND my name to pre-theft status at no additional cost from my monthly 12.95.

point being, admit you can't protect these things anymore and protect yourself instead. That's my philosophy. I really don't care what Disney does with my info, can't be any worse than what other organizations do!

lobelia

Really? Do you feel 'icky' when you see people driving nicer cars than you on the road?
Or how about when someone bought that more expensive concert seat than you? Or how about the theater? Or how about buying the brand clothes or food vs the store brand?

Where is this egalitarianism expectation in every other aspect of life? Why is it think there exists this loyalty to equality when it comes to theme parks vs everywhere else? Or are people driving in the HOV lane supposed to be embarrassed because they don't sit in traffic?

America is about EQUAL OPPORTUNITY - not EQUAL DISTRIBUTION.

What I wrote is my opinion on why many may not like the new fastpass system. A system that may require us to pay more to use it as compared to the fastpass of old, where anyone with the gumption can get there early and get a fastpass in order to ensure they are able to ride their ride of choice.

RalphinSC

For your information:

Poor Penny. Now every time for the rest of her life when she Google's her name, she will see this (and maybe even this very thread, lol!) And getting news articles wiped from an internet search engine is very VERY hard. :p

RSoxNo1

Just as a point of curiosity, what data mining is everyone thinking is going on here? You're already giving Disney your name, address, contact info, credit card, making ADR's, booking rooms, etc. Mining implies that there's more to excavate.
Think of the most recent election. There is analysis going on that can predict on the individual level what candidate people are going to vote for, or even if they're going to vote. Trends in human behavior are becoming more and more predictable as more information is "mined".

Skibum1970

Do they need your SS#? At this point someone's e-mail address is more valuable to a company like Disney.
Not to mention that, from a legal standpoint, companies don't want to have to encrypt and protect SS numbers in their data files. Huge liability.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Do they need your SS#? At this point someone's e-mail address is more valuable to a company like Disney.
Probably not. My question was how Disney was going to get that type of info from reading my room key, which was what the OP I quoted was insinuating with no support as to how it would be accomplished.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom