Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

wdwfan4ver

Just want to pop in here to say that the current plan is not for McPhee to take the big chair at WDW when Meg leaves.
Turns out that part of the rumor was less than accurate. Someone else is being eyed for that job.
(No, sadly...it isn't me.)
Great to hear that the current plan is McPhee not taking Meg's spot. Who is being eyed for the big chair at WDW then when Meg leaves since it isn't McPhee?

SirLink

Just want to pop in here to say that the current plan is not for McPhee to take the big chair at WDW when Meg leaves.
Turns out that part of the rumor was less than accurate. Someone else is being eyed for that job.
(No, sadly...it isn't me.)

Start chanting Matt Ouimet, Matt Ouimet, Matt Ouimet ...

I'll let someone else throw that name out there.
If true...you'll be wishing it was McPhee...

Boooooooooooooo Dan Cockerell or Erin oh noes Phil

SirLink

Why would he give up his job leading Cedar Fair to work for the same people he left only a few years ago?

To rub JR the wrong way, Disney sent Matt in to fix divisions that were in trouble - started fixing Disneyland, DCL and I believe he fixed ABD as well in his tenure.

But thinking about Lee post it would not surprise me if Staggs did double duty or even JR back in the hot seat. Anyway he left the Disney company and when Meg got the job @ WDW

c-one

I also am interested in the rumor by '74 about a 3rd non-Disney park at TDR. I would love to see a non-Disney IP park executed at the level - and with the budget of - a DisneySea, but from the little I know, TWDC maintains controls over the content of the TDR parks. For example, I didn't think OLC could go out on its own and build, say, a Smurf ride by an outside design firm in TDL even if they had the strong desire, and as such OLC couldn't build a non-Disney/WDI 3rd Gate under the Tokyo DISNEY Resort banner. Is this thinking wrong? Any clarification on the Disney-OLC arrangement?
I was wondering about this too -- I know little about the ins and outs of OLC's licensing agreement, but I can't imagine they could lump third-party IP under the "Tokyo Disney Resort" label. What if they dropped Disney from the resort name but not the two existing park names...?

c-one

And re: DVC, Fastpass+, and Disney's other new schemes... this is all innovator's dilemma type stuff. DVC's lack of competitiveness with other timeshares is bad enough; with the rise of things like Airbnb, which make even conventional timeshares look like an awful value, what happens then? Does Disney go further into a bait-and-switch model, where the only way to enjoy WDW is by paying the premium to stay there? Does the ruthless cost-cutting at the expense of a premium experience continue?

Spending $1.5 billion on Fastpass+ is staggering to me and I still can't understand what's up Disney's sleeve with it. I can't tell if it's a sinister way of cutting costs (long-term, obviously), if they think this is what the tourist market is clamoring for (seen no evidence of that), a ploy to make off-property-tourists rue what they're missing, or some combination thereof. I'm finding the line between nefarious greed and outright incompetence tough to discern...

BigThunderMatt

Spending $1.5 billion on Fastpass+ is staggering to me and I still can't understand what's up Disney's sleeve with it. I can't tell if it's a sinister way of cutting costs (long-term, obviously), if they think this is what the tourist market is clamoring for (seen no evidence of that), a ploy to make off-property-tourists rue what they're missing, or some combination thereof. I'm finding the line between nefarious greed and outright incompetence tough to discern...

It's really just an easier way for Disney to keep track of where their guests are going, what their guests are doing, and how often they're doing these things, in order to maximize guest throughput and revenue generation. It's done under the guise of "streamlining" a guests' vacation experience, but that's just a PR spin on what it really is: $1.5 billion datamining project.

lazyboy97o

And re: DVC, Fastpass+, and Disney's other new schemes... this is all innovator's dilemma type stuff. DVC's lack of competitiveness with other timeshares is bad enough; with the rise of things like Airbnb, which make even conventional timeshares look like an awful value, what happens then? Does Disney go further into a bait-and-switch model, where the only way to enjoy WDW is by paying the premium to stay there? Does the ruthless cost-cutting at the expense of a premium experience continue?

One way costs will be reduced is in scheduling. If people have to make reservations for everything months in advance, then Disney knows where people will be and when. Schedules then can be based more on reservations than historical data.

c-one

One way costs will be reduced is in scheduling. If people have to make reservations for everything months in advance, then Disney knows where people will be and when. Schedules then can be based more on reservations than historical data.
Point. Efficiency is great, but missing the forest for the trees is not.

nytimez

I also am interested in the rumor by '74 about a 3rd non-Disney park at TDR. I would love to see a non-Disney IP park executed at the level - and with the budget of - a DisneySea, but from the little I know, TWDC maintains controls over the content of the TDR parks. For example, I didn't think OLC could go out on its own and build, say, a Smurf ride by an outside design firm in TDL even if they had the strong desire, and as such OLC couldn't build a non-Disney/WDI 3rd Gate under the Tokyo DISNEY Resort banner. Is this thinking wrong? Any clarification on the Disney-OLC arrangement?

A third park by OLC wouldn't be under the Tokyo Disney banner, not would it have to be in/near Tokyo. I know they were looking at a park in Kyushu years ago (I think with Disney, if I remember correctly), but they could always build something of their own based on non-Disney IPs.

SirLink

A third park by OLC wouldn't be under the Tokyo Disney banner, not would it have to be in/near Tokyo. I know they were looking at a park in Kyushu years ago (I think with Disney, if I remember correctly), but they could always build something of their own based on non-Disney IPs.

Leemac has said today that this isn't the case - so I wonder ...

nytimez

Leemac has said today that this isn't the case - so I wonder ...

I suppose anything is possible. But OLC building/operating a non-Disney park at the Tokyo Disney Resort is extremely unlikely. (Disclaimer: This is an opinion, not a fact.)

EOD K9

I think there is some infrastructure at Nara Dreamland they can start with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom