NTSB Releases Factual Information Report on Monorail Crash

markc

gjohnson, I dont know what planet you are living on, but your response is highly naive and out of touch with society today.

Disney ABSOLUTELY needs to be fined or litigated. Their ERRORS killed a young man. They hired employees who clearly did not do a task right. (whether it was the front end employees or the employees who trained them - Disney still failed to hire the right people for the job). Are you so naive to think that a company is allowed to inadvertenly kill one of their employees and not be at fault?!?!?!?

And since when is this about the "monorail family"? Yeah, they're hurt - but I'll tell you who is hurting more, and thats' the young man's family, and they deserve some kind of payment for the indescribable grief and pain they are going through. On top of that, litigation does not affect them in the slightest or "kick them when they are down". If anything, it helps them to ensure their safety will be protected in the future.

And since WHEN are we supposed to blindly trust a company that they are going to improve...when they have no motivation to do so?!?! A company will only act if they are financially at risk. Litigation and pending fines are what does that. Letting them go off the hook for free for killing a young employee is stupid and downright mindless (not to mention hurtful to the family).

I hope this family does get some money from Disney. While it wont bring their son back, it will at least be some kind of reminder that justice was served and remind Disney of not allowing such lax policies when it comes to safety on the monorail (or anywhere).

I'm sorry CommunicoreBabe, but I respectfully disagree with your position -- Disney does not need to be fined or litigated to understand the gravity of the situation. CaptainJackNO is right -- all of the cast member family is hurting right now and the last thing they need is to be kicked while they are down. In the weeks and months to come all of the oversights that allowed this accident to happen will come to light. There will be tough questions to answer to be sure, but Disney will learn from this horrible accident.

One last thing CommunicoreBabe -- "How else can we be sure it won't happen again?". Trust. You have to trust that Disney will learn from this incident and take the steps necessary to make sure it won't happen again. Disney can't afford to sweep this under the rug. This may a rather naive approach to the whole situation, but a lot of folks ride the Monorail every single day and Disney can't take those kinds of chances. If I were in WDW right now I would ride the Monorail without hesitation.

Before passing judgement...I'll wait for them to complete their investigation! Things are not always what they seem to be.Example:Yrs.ago bad "ACCIDENT"HAPPENED.Guys were doing a training exercise.These were NOT rookies....they were the BEST OF THE BEST....ANYTIME... ANYWHERE!Overseeiing the exercise were OSHA,TRAINING INSTRUCTORS,SAFETY INSTRUCTORS ETC. Work was high in a 2man bucket truck...as the bucket draws away from the steel structure...blue static electricity follows the bucket...standard..(really awesome).This is done numerous times during the day....everything was cked after every exercise...all a-ok....then....2 men go up, work...bucket pulls back like before....BOOM....BUCKET BLOWS OFF EXTENTION...2 men die!! EVERYTHING...ALL TRAINING anywhere & everywhere...THOUGHOUT THE STATE STOPS!!
Investigation begins....over & over....every minute detail....I mean everything(trust me on this...most have no idea). Investigation Results...It was caused by a small (pin hole) in a hose,static ignited....BOOM! Also found one man was NOT wearing his safety belt(don't laugh....we work like we train).EVERYTHING & I MEAN EVERYTHING WAS DONE BY THE BOOK!!Nobody...TO blame.... RANT NOW OVER...My apologies to those I bored!
Jim

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Coming out through the windows? Sounds like quite an ordeal. I hope the kids learn to deal with the situation.
Says the news - is this the same family coming out of the open doors with a stroller?
But you can bet your little red wagon that if someone(s) who was supposed to be on site monitoring switches and such was over having a Grand Slam at Denny's then Disney has legal problems IMO.
Stop pointing fingers please. There is information to say the manager who may have been offsite was entitled to be offsite when he got the call to return, before the accident happened.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Stop pointing fingers please. There is information to say the manager who may have been offsite was entitled to be offsite when he got the call to return, before the accident happened.

Says who?

Edit: And if that is indeed the case.. then how come this person was suspended w/o pay?

sring

I haven't read through all the replies, but I have to say that this attitude really pushes the wrong buttons.

Why do we assume that only a lawsuit will bring about change. NOTHING will bring back the life of Austin. What's important here is what lessons can Disney take from this and what changes in procedures can prevent this from happening again.

It sounds therough the investigation, that this will happen.

Evidencwe points to Astin being a true hero. He apparently tried to reverse his train to prevent or minimize the damage. I supect even if there had been an escape path as some have suggested, Austin would have remained at the controls working the problem...much like an airline pilot...until it was too late to escape anyway.

You don't need a lawsuit for that. Sidney should compensate Austin's famile well..that would be the right thing...though they can never compensate for the lost life.

Keep the courts out of it unless nothing comes from this tragedy.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Only new information this morning is that the NTSB has said that their investigation should wrap Friday or Saturday. (By comparison, I witnessed an ATF investigation that only took 4 days)

.... and a few news outlets are reporting the who driver Monorail Pink is. A person representing the Pilot made a statement and has referred all questions about the investigation to WDW Media Relations.

ryno1982

I've seen guests board at TTC to ride the full EPCOT loop. If the trains are still running, why not? A nice long loop around EPCOT is a great way for a monorail fan to relax after a hectic day at a crowded MK. :animwink:

Except that late at night, when you board at the TTC, they ask you if you have a car at Epcot to make sure you are on the right monorail. I can't believe they'd just let someone ride it around that late at night. If Pink was cleared to go backwards on the Express line, that would mean that even the MK monorails were offline at this point, yet there were still guests boarding at Epcot? It just seems really strange to me.

CaptainMichael

Why the aversion to legal procedings when they are (in this case) warranted? This wouldn't be some frivolous law suit. Just remember, law suits are evil...until it comes time for you to need one. There's a reason they exist.

I haven't read through all the replies, but I have to say that this attitude really pushes the wrong buttons.

Why do we assume that only a lawsuit will bring about change. NOTHING will bring back the life of Austin. What's important here is what lessons can Disney take from this and what changes in procedures can prevent this from happening again.

I speculate that Austin's family considers compensation for the (presumably) wrongful death of their son to be just as important, if not more important than the mere "lessons" Disney has learned to prevent future accidents. A lawsuit brought on by Austin's family would involve compensation for actual damages with the possibility of punitive damages.

Bringing about change in policy and deterring future accidents are matters which, while closely linked to any lawsuit brought on by Austin's family, will be handled separately.

You don't need a lawsuit for that. Sidney should compensate Austin's famile well..that would be the right thing...though they can never compensate for the lost life.

Keep the courts out of it unless nothing comes from this tragedy.

I assume you meant "Disney" and not "Sidney." It's nice to think that both parties can mutually agree to a dollar amount which is "fair" compensation, but it's neither wrong or cumbersome to file a legitimate lawsuit especially with so much money at stake. In reality, it might even help facilitate a settlement by using the Courts as an aide to maintain deadlines or even to provide mediation services.

DCTooTall

Except that late at night, when you board at the TTC, they ask you if you have a car at Epcot to make sure you are on the right monorail. I can't believe they'd just let someone ride it around that late at night. If Pink was cleared to go backwards on the Express line, that would mean that even the MK monorails were offline at this point, yet there were still guests boarding at Epcot? It just seems really strange to me.

It takes what? 20-30min to make the Epcot loop? Considering MK closed around 1am, and the accident happened around 2, there is no reason to think that the family may not have made the complete loop and not actually boarded at Epcot.

Think about it this way. Long day, kids in strollers. The kids could have easily fallen asleep in their strollers. Now the parents have to deal with the mad-rush chaos of getting out of the parking lot on a holiday park close. I can definately understand them deciding to instead hop on the Epcot loop, unwind themselves, let the kids sleep on a smooth air conditioned train ride, and wait out the worst of the traffic (and parking tram) chaos before they wake the kids to get them onto the parking tram and into the car for the ride home/hotel.

Since the train would be making the loop anyways, It's understandable that a CM if he even inquired about the car, would let the family on anyways once they explained they knew the situation and just wanted to unwind and let the kids sleep. You know, just give the family that extra bit of Disney Magic.

indigo

asdf

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen families on the EPCOT loop late at night who think they have one more monorail ride to the parking lot. I suspect that's what happened with the Hordes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom