NTSB Releases Factual Information Report on Monorail Crash

Disney needs to explain themselves in a court of law

I know I will get flamed for this, but I hope there is some sort of litigation on behalf of Austin. Job duties and protocols must have been seriously neglected for this to have happened after 38 years. This was a preventable tragedy and the Disney company should have to explain what went wrong and how they are going to prevent such a terrible accident from ever happening again. That poor young man, how awful.

NewfieFan

Thanks for posting... but it's just horrible to read! I can't believe he was helpless those last few seconds. The only thing that makes me feel any better is that I know it was all "over" in seconds as well.

He's a wonderful example of a monorail pilot (is that their title?) and there will be lessons learned from this tragedy... it's too bad we have to lose a life sometimes in order for lessons to be learned!

He knew he had guests in the car just behind his back, he probably was trying everything he could to keep them safe. :(

Very interesting -- thatnks for posting the initial NTSB report. It justifies all of the speculation that has been flowing around since the accident happened.

Guys, I hate to put it this way, but...we should honor Austin. He died with honor while trying to save his passengers. It should say a lot about his character that he even thought of them rather than just trying to jump and save his own life. And let's look at this tragedy at a different angle -- the report says that Austin tried to stop the train while still outside the station which mean he would have been still traveling at a pretty food clip. By reducing his speed by as much as he did he reduced the closing speed with the other train, and thus may have saved the lives of everyone on the train. Now, I can't verify this without knowing exactly where on the train the other passengers were, but this scenario makes the most sense with all of the data currently available. So, BRAVO Austin! And rest in peace my friend -- I'm sure none of your fellow Monorail family members will forget you! And I'm sure none of the Disney-ites here will either...

sweetpee_1993

I know I will get flamed for this, but I hope there is some sort of litigation on behalf of Austin. Job duties and protocols must have been seriously neglected for this to have happened after 38 years. This was a preventable tragedy and the Disney company should have to explain what went wrong and how they are going to prevent such a terrible accident from ever happening again. That poor young man, how awful.

Because lawsuits are the solution for everything. That's an honorable thing. Yeah. Okay.

CaptainJackNO

Wow. To think that the last thing he did was try and put the monorail in reverse just makes this all the more depressing. A life was lost. It shouldn't have been.

One wonders though, why didn't he try and leave the cabin? Surely saving his own life would be worth more than saving the train.

-CMM

And jump 20 feet to the ground? Also, he may have been worried about the passengers of the monorail. God bless him, he was trying to prevent the accident. Very tragic.:cry:

CaptainJackNO

I won't flame you. I understand your concern. However, these incidents are called accidents because that is what they are. We are all human and sometimes, unfortunately, our errors can be tragic. Now, if this were a repeating thing where numerous incidents occurred, I could see things more your way. However, in 38 years there have been few accidents, three total, I believe. This is the most tragic and Disney will have to answer tough questions no doubt. But I can assure you that management does not need litigation to understand the gravity of the incident. There is not one person in the company not second guessing the events and what could have and should have been done to avoid this accident. The company lost one of their own and I am sure they are all hurting. I have no doubt that Disney will do right by the young man and make the necessary changes needed to avoid anything like this from occuring in the future.

No one had to die

It's not about honor, its about accountability. Serious mistakes were made and they need to be brought to light and corrected. No one "had" to die. I love WDW too, but they need to be fined or litigated. If an individual had killed a CM they would be brought before a court of law. A young life was lost and I truly hope that this is not just swept under the rug because of where it happened. Disney needs to explain themselves and this loss just like any other entity would. How else can we be sure it won't happen again?

ryno1982

What I still don't understand is why there was anyone on Monorail Purple. It was coming from Epcot at 2am. The park had been closed since 10pm. Why would there be anyone going back to TTC?

Salty-

He knew he had guests in the car just behind his back, he probably was trying everything he could to keep them safe. :(

This.
A million times over.

It reminds me of the line Scotty said in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.
"He stayed at his post.."

Austin did not jump from the monorail to save himself. He even was trying to reverse his passengers out of danger.

He was going into Computer Science. As this is my field as well, it saddens me that there could have been a possibility that Austin could have helped with software/hardware improvements to the Monorail system he so obviously loved.

I still feel that the Monorail system should be human first, with technology backing up the system. It seems there needs to be improvements to the procedures in place currently.

In my mind's eye, I can see Austin seeing the potential problems in the Monorail system; and he obviously was on a career path to offer help. Who better to help solve the current problem than a computer scientist with Monorail Pilot experience? Sadly, we will never know.

We do know he was dedicated to his job. He was dedicated to helping his fellow man/woman.

To the last second.

Rest In Peace Austin. May we all learn to be as dedicated to humankind as you, so obviously, lived your life.

It's not about honor, its about accountability. Serious mistakes were made and they need to be brought to light and corrected. No one "had" to die. I love WDW too, but they need to be fined or litigated. If an individual had killed a CM they would be brought before a court of law. A young life was lost and I truly hope that this is not just swept under the rug because of where it happened. Disney needs to explain themselves and this loss just like any other entity would. How else can we be sure it won't happen again?

I'm sorry CommunicoreBabe, but I respectfully disagree with your position -- Disney does not need to be fined or litigated to understand the gravity of the situation. CaptainJackNO is right -- all of the cast member family is hurting right now and the last thing they need is to be kicked while they are down. In the weeks and months to come all of the oversights that allowed this accident to happen will come to light. There will be tough questions to answer to be sure, but Disney will learn from this horrible accident.

One last thing CommunicoreBabe -- "How else can we be sure it won't happen again?". Trust. You have to trust that Disney will learn from this incident and take the steps necessary to make sure it won't happen again. Disney can't afford to sweep this under the rug. This may a rather naive approach to the whole situation, but a lot of folks ride the Monorail every single day and Disney can't take those kinds of chances. If I were in WDW right now I would ride the Monorail without hesitation.

majortom1981

hmm

In that lin kthe monorail pilots is right all what used to happen should be brought back

I will post what was posted . I think all of it should be made sure its done.

"To: MEDIA

First, we’d like to extend our DEEPEST SYMPATHIES to the Wuennenberg family and friends and to all of our former co-workers that are still with the WDW Monorail Department and will be forever haunted by this tragedy.

Second, there are still some questions we have that maybe the FCC can help answer by making available for those that want to hear it (PLEASE ...not for the media to play publicly - the family has suffered enough) the Radio Transmissions of that night.
However, based on the information that we have collectively received, and our experience I’d like to respond with this statement and have it aired so that it can be heard by WDW Management and NTSB or OSHA officials so that an incident such as this never happens again !!!

Yes, the Monorail system was designed with lots of “Bells and Whistles” as one former pilot stated on the air. HOWEVER, these bells and whistles that were placed on the trains and beams were only a part of the system that assured the utmost safety during switching procedures and during every day operations.

The Standard Operating Procedures (s.o.p.) of old, used to be that we never solely trusted the computers or machines or even other people. The ultimate responsibility of the safety of the guests on board and to the Monorail Train itself was UP TO US as the Pilot in a train. It was critical for us to watch all other trains and to listen to all radio traffic going on to be AWARE of where the trains were or where they were headed. The computers were a “back up” system to assist us since it was nearly impossible to drive the trains visually only with so many buildings and trees that prevented us from seeing everything. Radio procedures were used as a back up as well when “visual clearance” was not possible - such as, it used to be necessary to call for “Radio Clearance to the Contemporary” because we could not see if a train was already in the station at the time.

This being said, we do not fault the drivers alone for this tragic accident from this past weekend.

It appears to all of us, that the Standard Operating Procedures that were drilled into us as being VITAL for safety have become “slackened” and/or that Management has become complacent and allowed such. Many of us saw this “complacency” coming …some of us tried to fight it. I’d like this statement read so that ALL are aware, and so that those in the position of being able to MAKE CHANGE, will do so.

* Central Leads used to have to remain in the “Central Console” at all times, but most importantly during any switching procedures. The reason for this was so they could monitor the lighted board that showed the alignment of the beams. Also so they would be in a “perch” of sorts and be able to visually see the trains with their own eyes. Most importantly, so that they would be in a place of little distraction so that they could monitor every radio transmission and every movement and whereabouts of the trains. This was extremely critical during switching procedures because of the intricacies of the procedure that caused the Pilots to have to “override” the emergency stop (mapo) systems. This system was only allowed to be bypassed by the Pilot with “Central’s” radio permission.

* Maintenance personnel used to be required to stand beneath the switches in order to visually check that the beams were properly aligned when switched over. Our understanding is that now there are cameras for this. We see no problem with that as long as the cameras are working properly, someone is actually looking at them and that there is no confusion as to which beam / switch is being seen on that screen by that individual.

* Switching procedures used to have to be done with the driver going forward through the switch. The Monorail trains were purposely designed to be able to be driven out of either end of the train. The driver would have to “switch ends” in a station and go in reverse on that main beam to be in placement to move through the switch and onto the spur line in FORWARD. This was trained to us as being necessary so that the Pilot was able to visually see first hand that the switches WERE in place and that you were headed onto the spur line as being directed by “Monorail Central”.

Current Monorail Pilots, please be vigilant in seeing that SAFETY is the utmost priority over “Courtesy, Show and Efficiency”. Drive Trainers, please stress the importance of following all safety procedures - and hopefully the above mentioned are still in the S.O.P. - if not, it’s time to go back and change it again. All, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND BE CAREFUL. The safety record of the Monorail system is great compared to other transportation systems, but obviously is not perfect. Please strive for EXCELLENCE as was and should still be the “Disney” way.

"

fosse76

I'm sorry CommunicoreBabe, but I respectfully disagree with your position -- Disney does not need to be fined or litigated to understand the gravity of the situation. CaptainJackNO is right -- all of the cast member family is hurting right now and the last thing they need is to be kicked while they are down. In the weeks and months to come all of the oversights that allowed this accident to happen will come to light. There will be tough questions to answer to be sure, but Disney will learn from this horrible accident.

I disagree. Litigation is the means for one party to right a wrong, and Disney was completely wrong here...even if it was due to negligent employees, Disney has the liability. Should a wronged party simply accept the judgment that Disney feels is right? If you truely believe that, then maybe you should let your children come up with their own punishments when they get in trouble. I know that people like to think that Judgments are out of control, but I think people woukd be surprised that those huge judgments don't even account for 1% of court judgments. And those judgments are by people like you and me...not lawyers. It's ultimately the jury's decision on how much to award the injured party. The system isn't perfect, but it does work.

One last thing CommunicoreBabe -- "How else can we be sure it won't happen again?". Trust. You have to trust that Disney will learn from this incident and take the steps necessary to make sure it won't happen again. Disney can't afford to sweep this under the rug. This may a rather naive approach to the whole situation, but a lot of folks ride the Monorail every single day and Disney can't take those kinds of chances. If I were in WDW right now I would ride the Monorail without hesitation.

I think you are being a bit naive. The only reason Disney (or any other company/transit agency) would make changes to prevent a reoccurrence is financial. As people have pointed out, there have been no fatalities in 38 years, so this one accident isn't going to drive people away. They make the changes to avoid fines and lawsuits. Safety is only their concern because of the fear of fines and lawsuits.

tntornadox

A problem with this forum is when you try to provide some REAL behind the scenes info and then be called a liar by some self-called experts?

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3619545&postcount=1150

I'm sorry, but his point could still be valid, they would not need the logs to see if Austin tried to reverse the train if they have the control panel with the switch flipped to 'reverse', would they?

And I hope he is an expert, he spent the first part of this year driving... cut him some slack, he is hurting as much as the rest of the Mono-family.

diddy_mouse

The NTSB report was very sad to read, but thank you for posting it.

My thoughts are with the WDW Monorail cast as well as Austin's family and friends. Such a tragic thing to happen...:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom