Now I dislike the Tronorail even more

The Empress Lilly

Tron is unwatchable. But the visuals were fantastic back then, and they have only become better as time has passed.

Tron is ever so hip! A real early eighties icon. It's one of those rare real-life Disney franchises with street credibility, with artistic merit.

I'd hate to sit through the entire movie, but gimme more Tron anyday! :sohappy:

Evil Genius

I think someone said it best when it was stated that TRON has a serious cult following and I think that above anything else is why the second film was produced.

That being said, I LOVED TRON! I can still sit down and pop it in and enjoy it. I never found it dull...confusing...or bad in the slightest...it's a fun 80's sci-fi flick and for its time had some incredibly innovative effect and animation techniques. I'd suggest watching the documentary on the making of the film if you ever get a chance...they were basically making up the technology as they went along and really had to think outside of the box in terms of creating the visuals. To be honest...there hasn't been a film that looks like it since and I think that adds to it's staying power as well.

As to The Black Hole...the film rocks! It has a very odd and dark ending and I think that puts a lot of people off. But I still hold it up as a great sci-fi film.

slappy magoo

As to The Black Hole...the film rocks! It has a very odd and dark ending and I think that puts a lot of people off. But I still hold it up as a great sci-fi film.

For a few years, Turner Classic Movies had a smattering of Disney live-action movies in its repertoire. Can't remember Tron being a part of it, but The Black Hole was on every few months, as was stuff like The Love Bug, Freaky Friday, the original Parent Trap, gy Dog, The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes, I think even Condorman! I think now, if they're on anywhere, it's Hallmark, which means they're cut up for commercials. But for awhile, that was pretty sweet.

draybook

What's so hard about following the plot of Tron?

And box office means nothing when it comes to how good a movie is. See Twilight for a clearer definition.

Tron is a cult classic and whether or not it bombs, I'll be there watching it in 3D with my son. And that's saying something because I NEVER pay the extra for 3D for any movie.

slappy magoo

And box office means nothing when it comes to how good a movie is. See Twilight for a clearer definition.

One sound bite that's always stuck with me was when Michael McKean was being interviewed by David Letterman, who asked him if McKean ever thought of making a movie sequel to "This Is Spinal Tap." McKean's response: "Oh, no, when you do everything right and you still fail, you don't do a sequel." Now, depending on your definition of "sequel" Spinal Tap has lived on, other albums, tours, concert videos, stuff like that. But it's truly a great movie that nobody saw in its initial run.

SMRT-1

That being said, I LOVED TRON! I can still sit down and pop it in and enjoy it. I never found it dull...confusing...or bad in the slightest...it's a fun 80's sci-fi flick and for its time had some incredibly innovative effect and animation techniques. I'd suggest watching the documentary on the making of the film if you ever get a chance...they were basically making up the technology as they went along and really had to think outside of the box in terms of creating the visuals. To be honest...there hasn't been a film that looks like it since and I think that adds to it's staying power as well.

agree 100 gazillion percent.

Optimus Mouse

I was just a kid when Tron was released, and didn't see it until I was well into my teens. However, while I wouldn't describe it as a great movie, I'm not really sure where all the Tron hate is coming from, nor what folks see as confusing about the movie. I guess to each his own. It seemed good enough to me for an 80's sci-fi flick.

As has been mentioned several times, the movie has a tremendous geek-core following. I know that myself and the Mrs. will be there December 17th.

captainkidd

Original Poster
What's so hard about following the plot of Tron?

Tron is a cult classic and whether or not it bombs, I'll be there watching it in 3D with my son. And that's saying something because I NEVER pay the extra for 3D for any movie.

As others have said, it's tough deciphering who is who.

Another Twilight hater. How very original.

I don't think this TRON will bomb. In fact, I think it looks pretty darn cool. That's why I watched the 1st one. It seemed there was a real story there. Sadly, there wasn't. But I'll go see this one. I think it looks interesting.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I'd suggest watching the documentary on the making of the film if you ever get a chance...they were basically making up the technology as they went along and really had to think outside of the box in terms of creating the visuals. To be honest...there hasn't been a film that looks like it since and I think that adds to it's staying power as well.

I might do that. It's funny you say that. The entire film reminded me of "Making Of" featurette you see on every big budget sci-fi movie made these days. In other words, "Here is how it looks in animation before it's actually filmed."

mike10

I've honestly never seen Tron would like to and have a feeling I will like it since I like Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Howard the Duck, Dr. Giggles, etc...

So cult movies are my thing what I don't understand the major likes are to movies like:

-Song of Music (I tried this movie and talk about a snooze fest don't see what is so special about this movie)

-Casablanca (Don't mind black and white movies since I love King Kong but this movie just didn't grasp my attention)

But like others have said what may seem like a completely stupid movie to some may be one of the greatest movies ever made to others.

NedFlanders

So long as they are doing remake/sequels to bad movies... Maybe they could do a remake of Unidentified Flying Oddball... it was so bad it was actually kind of funny as I recall.

Evil Genius

So long as they are doing remake/sequels to bad movies... Maybe they could do a remake of Unidentified Flying Oddball... it was so bad it was actually kind of funny as I recall.

That's the thing though...I don't think you can lable Tron a bad movie. It has problems yes, but it is still an innovative and engaging movie for its time.

MKCP 1985

I don't hold the original movie against the Tronorail or the upcoming movie. There have been plenty of movies that weren't so good the first time out of the box that did plenty well after being "re-imagined," haven't there?

But thinking of the original Tron, I was part of the target audience when that movie came out in the early 80s and thought it stunk, which was why I was skeptical of this sequel when it was first announced.

Time will tell whether this new movie finds an audience. I'm still a bit skeptical, but Disney is certainly putting a lot of marketing muscle behind it.

ddbowdoin

personally I enjoyed Tron... you have to take it for what it is. 80's! It's so uber early tech and all, very well done for the time it was made. We examine to many films from that era in a modern eye.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I should say, the Tronorail doesn't really bother me. And considering it will be gone soon, it has that much less effect on me. I just needed a header to start my Tron-bashing thread.:p

captainkidd

Original Poster
personally I enjoyed Tron... you have to take it for what it is. 80's! It's so uber early tech and all, very well done for the time it was made. We examine to many films from that era in a modern eye.

That's the part I don't agree with. I'm a child of the 80's and love 80's movies. I look at the original 3 Star Wars and think those special effects are better than the newer movies. It wasn't the special effects that hurt it for me. As I said, that's understandable. I just thought, having never seen the movie but seeing an intense trailer for the sequel, that there was some great story to the 1st one. There just wasn't.

draybook

As others have said, it's tough deciphering who is who.

Another Twilight hater. How very original.

I don't think this TRON will bomb. In fact, I think it looks pretty darn cool. That's why I watched the 1st one. It seemed there was a real story there. Sadly, there wasn't. But I'll go see this one. I think it looks interesting.

Original? What's not to hate? TERRIBLE acting, ridiculous situations and relying on women and girls to flock to see it. That being said, I actually liked the movies better than my wife, and she's read all of the books and LOVES vampire stuff.

I was just using Twilight as an example that a huge box office doesn't mean a movie is good, just as you pointed out Tron's bad box office. It made twice it's budget, so while it wasn't exactly a huge hit it was a moderate success. Plus it opened just 3 weeks after ET, and we all know how huge movies can suck up the life of movies release shortly after it.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Original? What's not to hate? TERRIBLE acting, ridiculous situations and relying on women and girls to flock to see it. That being said, I actually liked the movies better than my wife, and she's read all of the books and LOVES vampire stuff.

That's odd, as I read the books to, expecting to hate them, but really enjoyed them. And I think Edward's character is portrayed as true to the book as is possible. Kristen Stewart is just a weird actress. She's weird in general.

I just think people are too hard on Twilight.

Evil Genius

That's odd, as I read the books to, expecting to hate them, but really enjoyed them. And I think Edward's character is portrayed as true to the book as is possible. Kristen Stewart is just a weird actress. She's weird in general.

I just think people are too hard on Twilight.

Not to continue the Twilight talk...but quiet honestly story aside they are simply poorly shot and produced films.

For the ammount of popularity that franchise has you'd think more effort would be put into making the movies. They just seem slapped together. Horribly edited...and CGI that worse than friends of mine produce in their bedrooms! Just badly made movies!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom