Nothing Huge - Living with the Land final greenhouse area curtained off

Captain Hank

I love LWTL but for most of us I'm sure this question comes up everytime your on the boats. Everything they do there is to learn to grow more easier and with more resistance to insects and disease, but for me and again I say for others, outside of the obvious, what the heck is a dipper gourd used for other than dipping up water??? :confused: :shrug: Meaning do you or can you eat them?
Actually, yes. Like many gourds, they can be used in stir-frys when they're very young (5-6 in. or so). I've never tried it myself, so I can't vouch for the taste.

Any other LWTL questions? :)

jt04

Actually, yes. Like many gourds, they can be used in stir-frys when they're very young (5-6 in. or so). I've never tried it myself, so I can't vouch for the taste.

Any other LWTL questions? :)

Any pics of the refurbed fish?

Where is that Epcotservo update when needed? :veryconfu

Captain Hank

Sorry, haven't had a chance to get back out there. I should be able to grab some pics on Saturday, if nobody else has posted any by then.

EpcotServo

Any pics of the refurbed fish?

Where is that Epcotservo update when needed? :veryconfu

You kidding? It's packed out there, I'm staying on the couch til' this blows over!
:lol:

( :p I'll be sure to go on LWTL when next at the Center.)

Captain Hank

A day late, but as promised, here are some pictures of the new Aquaponics system in the Creative greenhouse. It is located on the left side of the boat where the flying squash/tomatoes used to be (there are still flying squash on the right side of the boat). They're not the greatest pictures, as they were taken at night. It's tough to see, but the bottommost row of lettuce has a little window where the plants' root systems are visible.

aqua1.jpg

aqua2.jpg

Disneyson 1

So where does the poopy go?

I mean, is there a tube or something, or is it all manual?

Or is it a total misunderstanding and does the new thing have nothing to do with fish... dung?

Captain Hank

You're welcome! :wave:

Oh, just a little tidbit: right now, the lettuce in this system is being monitored to make sure any of the potential allergens from the fish aren't being transferred to the lettuce. In the meantime, it's being shipped out for use at the Seas and Disney's Animal Kingdom as food for the animals.

Captain Hank

So where does the poopy go?

I mean, is there a tube or something, or is it all manual?

Or is it a total misunderstanding and does the new thing have nothing to do with fish... dung?
Ah, but that's the whole point! :)

The fish "waste" solids are filtered out of the water in such a way that the water retains the nutrient content from the waste. This nutrient-enriched water is then pumped to the top of the sytem, where it serves as nutrition for the plants. Thus, growing two food sources at once in the same system.

jt04

Epcot Dreams

Ah, but that's the whole point! :)

The fish "waste" solids are filtered out of the water in such a way that the water retains the nutrient content from the waste. This nutrient-enriched water is then pumped to the top of the sytem, where it serves as nutrition for the plants. Thus, growing two food sources at once in the same system.

AWESOME!:sohappy:

As soon as I saw the picture the light bulb went on. So it's aquaculture and hydroponics in one!:D

No need to transport the fertilizer from somewhere else for the plants and if the fish were to be "processed" in the same building the "leftovers" could also be used as fertilizer for the plants. And when the plants get processed the residue could be used for fish food.:)

No need for pesticides and climate controlled so yeilds are completely predictable. Very Horizons-esque and EPCOT Center-esque too!:cool:

Thanks Disney! This is the kind of thing that keeps me hooked! (Ha Ha----a little fish pun there):wave:

And thank you Captain Hank for the great pictures!

VT GAL

Thanks Captain Hank!!!!! It looks awesome!!!!!

It is great to see LWTL getting some love! But I could not agree with Martin more about the ending. Maybe since there was a ladder sighting one can be optimistic...

WDW1974

I am so glad!

For a few days, I was thinking they were opening another pin shack or DVC booth in that area! Whew!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom