Not sure if we should drive

Craig & Lisa

Ok, as much as I hate to admit it, because of current airfare we may end up breaking down and driving to WDW from NJ. :( My problem is, I've always been a staunch flyer. Did not ever want to drive, but considering that at this point flying will cost at least 1000 for 4, and may even go up farther if we keep holding out for a online special. At this point I see us spending somewhere around 600 for gas at most. There's no way we would pay that much out of newark for plane fare. The furthest I've ever driven south has been Va., and that was for my honeymoon, almost 18 years ago. I have driven to Kansas and Oklahoma since then, but we stopped over for rest, but I really want to spend as much time as possible in WDW, so the only stops would be for food and bathroom breaks. Question, how long from north central NJ to WDW with no overnights? I may also break down and get a GPS for the truck too to help. The best way to spend as little as possible so we can get the DDP with what we save. Our ressie's will be going from the 30th of June to the 7th of july, and we would leave late afternoon on the 29th. And on a side note, what are the fireworks shows like for the 4th? Thanks.

We just got back from WDW on Monday and it only cost $626 for 4 people round trip (we flew AirTran). To me, flying is a lot better-it only takes us 2 hours (in the air)! But probably 5 hours total from the time we arrive at the airport to check our baggage and go through security until the time we arrive in Florida, pick up our luggage and get a rental car. We live in Northern VA and it takes us 14-15 hours to drive to Florida.

5 hours is a lot better than 14!

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
I couldn't agree more with Aefx... I love the drive, which I've done multiple times from NYC in 18 hours (we drive pretty quick), and the hassle involved with flying far outweighs the hassle involved with driving for me. Besides, road games are awesome :)
How are they about speeding, and please don't take this the wrong way, especially when the plate is from a northern out of state car. I'm seeing times that vary somewhat. I'd like to be there as soon as possible, radar detecters?, then with those things aren't they illegal in some states? I know I'm asking alot of questions that may seem dumb, but this is something that we are really juggling around. And we don't have much time to find decent airfare either, so we want to make sure of our decision. Again, thanks.

Upvote 0

LordHelmut

Been there done that with the driving, here are a couple of keys for your path.

TP South = toll, 295=no toll, and the roads are literally yards apart for a majority of the trip. (no idea what the tolls are these days, ezpass eliminates the knowledge until *after* the trip)

95S into MD, yes our efficient trooper network is here to serve you... serve you a ticket whenever possible. Worst times, weekends, we know when you travel.... Probably applicable anywhere, if you see a car beside the road, and you can't tell what it is, get off the gas immediatly !. That said, 75-80 is my normal driving speed (everywhere, and boy do the folks in the community get ed at that)

Plan around the key traffic points, (Del Memorial, Baltimore, and most importantly DC) There is a lot of construction going around DC, and take a guess when it is in full swing, Off- Peak Hours !. Many roads can be entirely shut down for a period of time, or diverted. Schedules, times and attractions are subject to change, consult the ride guide for updated closures.

I find the drive generally goes great until I sit in a backup for a hour or so, then it sucks.

There are so many alternates, shortcuts or route suggestions, it is hard to say which is best. A road atlas is more than sufficient to get you thru the path you would/could need. Once you get within range of DC, 103.5 is WTOP, traffic reports are every 10 minutes (and its 1060AM in Phila). Listen to the reports when you get within range & go thru a couple of cycles (generally we crash into each other here at such a rate they can't tell you everything in one break)

Do not plan to go thru (around, near) DC any time between 5:30AM - 10:00AM or from 3:00PM-8:30PM without encountering delays.

Driving the trip w/o stopping is very hard on the occupants (worst on the drivers). There are any number of great places to stop that can be had for less than $40 to spend a couple of hours getting zzzzs so that you can arrive (alive) and ready to go.

If you need more specifics on DC paths, let me know, mapping services (and for heavens sake dont use mapquest without looking at the directions on a map ! - the routing given is generally suspect at best !)

Upvote 0

ILUVTHEMOUSE

I can completely relate to what you're going through. Our dates are June 8 - June 16. Up until yesterday, we too were struggling with the decision on whether or not to drive. We are in the same situation where we do not want to pay $1000 to fly 4 people down. I always have a price in mind for what I want to pay to fly us down there and with the airfare the way it is, I wasn't even coming close.

I lucked out yesterday and found a Delta flight for $158 round trip. With fees and taxes that came out to about $756.00 for the four of us. My suggestion is to keep checking airfare everyday and if possible more than once a day. I also suggest when you check rates, click the flexible dates button. In my case, the rate I got was for a flight leaving a day earlier ( June 7) than we had originally planned. This may or not be an option for you but if you get a good rate, it might be something you'll want to consider.

I would also look at www.skyauction.com. This website will sometimes show cheap fares. That Delta flight I was referring to was posted there for $158 round trip but leaving on our original planned date. However, by the time I tried to book it, there were no more seats. So, if you find a flight at the rate you're looking for, book it immediately.

At this point, if you don't find decent airfare, you know you're still going to get there by driving. I would just not stop looking until the last minute. Good Luck! I hope something comes through for you. :wave:

Upvote 0

LaughingGravy

In the original post, you asked how much time with no overnights.
I'd put it at 21.5 hrs. Take the suggestions to leave at whatever time to avoid DC traffic. That is a must.

Your car is reliable and comfortable. Back in the day when cars topped out at 75K miles, I would have worried about wear and tear on the car.

No airport security. No coach airline seat. Pack how you want.

Flights out of EWR are always more expensive. No way around that.

The difference means dining plan, which really makes for a nice worry free vacation. It made the difference for us last time.

So long as you have the one DVD player with two headphones and a splitter, you'll be fine. The kids can alternate movies and the other one can listen to private audio in earphones if they don't agree.
That's a min. of $80 right there.

If any trouble, remind them they're going to WDW!! Jeesh.

An American Family Road trip to WDW is special.

You'll be fine driving. Have fun on the dining plan!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

To reaffirm what other people are saying, the time it takes to get to and from the airport really is something to consider. Now granted, a worst-case scenario situation going from EWR to MCO is still half the time of a best-case scenario driving from NJ to WDW. But you are dealing with the hassle of getting to the airport (hopefully you have friends or relatives willing to drive you, otherwise, you're paying beaucoup bucks for either a cab or parking, and even "economy" parking is outrageous nowadays. If you fly and plan to do any off-site touring or shopping, you'll have to deal with cabs or other transportation (on THEIR schedules) or renting a car and the added expense therein. If you know you're always staying onsite, that's one less cost incurred, but it also brings up the other nice thing about driving...you can pretty much leave when you're good and ready. If you're using Magical Express, you're bound by when they tell you they're picking you up. COnsidering it's at least 3 hours before your flight, it's kind of a drag if you wanted to visit one of the parks one more time, get one more ride in, go shopping, or even spend a little more time poolside. If you drive, you can take your time the day you depart, do what you want to go. Hell, if you have the energy, go all day and night, and head for home after the parks close. If you don't have the energy, just drive a couple of hours and stop off at a Motel 6. The tradeoff to the longer trip to and from is much more freedom as to when you come and go. Not to mention being able to pack more, see sights, not be forced to sit next to stinky strangers or crying babies...if there's a delay in take off due to weather or traffic on the runway or mechanical difficulties, you can be stuck on the plane indefinitely. If there's a lot of traffic, you can always pull off the next exit, grab a bite and a nap and wait for the mess to clear up. You get a lot of options in exchange for the longer trip.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
As always we have received a ton of great information. We are still looking at airfare, but it looks as though we will be driving. At this point I've been looking at web sites for a luggage storage for the top of my wife's Kia sorento, it's a not too big but not too small SUV. The problem is we have no roof rack to attach some sort of luggage holder too. So, new question, does anybody know of a good system to hold luggage on the top of a vehicle that has no luggage rack. It needs to keep the stuff dry, be durable and something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Again, thanks

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

To cut down on some of the packing, we stop at Walmart after we check in and before our room is ready. We pick up toiletrties etc while there. Make sure you bring a blanket to cover the rear passenger side windows. During the drive the sun was beating down on my son and it helped to hang the blanket from the window by rolling it down putting a piece of it in there and rolling it back up. I ahve the same issue with luggage storage. I have a Toyota Avalon, while still large, we don't have much room. I am going to rethink my stroller situation.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

We drove in a van with about 13 others and would switch drivers. We drove from Vincentown, NJ around 8pm and would drive straight through the night, but we switched drivers every 3-4 hours usually, unless one person was able to get a good nap and was willing to drive further. We would stop and get gas and do a bathroom stop at that same time. We stopped in SC for breakfast and would hit FL (we were going to Cocoa so a bit further south then going to Disney) we hit traffic after hitting FL, that cost us about 2 hours of time, it wasn't moving. Would take about 18-20 hours to go to FL, depends on who was driving and where.

Whatever you decide have a good time. Navigational systems are nice so you can detour if traffic is really bad in different areas. But if you leave at the right time and avoid the DC traffic and the rest of the trip is straight down one way, you won't need it.

Upvote 0

SamnDawn060304

OK we just drove there and back this past week we took 2 cars and spent 750.00 for gas. I live in Martinsburg West Virginia. Which is about an hour and 1/2 outside of D.C. i normally fly but there were 13 of us. I HATE that drive even though I am going to most magical place on earth it is terrible. Fly if it all possible. It took us 18 hours. You are even further away.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom