Not sure if we should drive

Craig & Lisa

Ok, as much as I hate to admit it, because of current airfare we may end up breaking down and driving to WDW from NJ. :( My problem is, I've always been a staunch flyer. Did not ever want to drive, but considering that at this point flying will cost at least 1000 for 4, and may even go up farther if we keep holding out for a online special. At this point I see us spending somewhere around 600 for gas at most. There's no way we would pay that much out of newark for plane fare. The furthest I've ever driven south has been Va., and that was for my honeymoon, almost 18 years ago. I have driven to Kansas and Oklahoma since then, but we stopped over for rest, but I really want to spend as much time as possible in WDW, so the only stops would be for food and bathroom breaks. Question, how long from north central NJ to WDW with no overnights? I may also break down and get a GPS for the truck too to help. The best way to spend as little as possible so we can get the DDP with what we save. Our ressie's will be going from the 30th of June to the 7th of july, and we would leave late afternoon on the 29th. And on a side note, what are the fireworks shows like for the 4th? Thanks.

Laura

Premium Member
Honestly, I think even if I lived further north than I do I would still choose driving over flying. I love the drive to WDW, especially once you are in the more southern states with the Palm Trees and fun billboards to look at.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Upstate, NY and my dad would drive us to Florida and back at least 1-2 times a year. Usually we'd drive to PA one night, the next day drive from PA to NC, and the last day drive from NC to FL. So 2 1/2 days travel on each side of the trip.

Absolutely no need for a GPS. You're literally taking I-95 the entire route until you get to Daytona Beach, then going onto I-4 until you're at WDW.

I think $600 is an overestimate for gas. I can drive from NC to NJ on a single tank ($60) and then it's a tank and a half from NC to FL ($90). So that would be $300 in gas round trip for my van if I were gonna drive from NJ. I'm sure your vehicle eats more gas than my van, but it can't be more than another $100. I'd say $400 max for gas.

Upvote 0

WTBAD

If money is tight, don't get the GPS. Download free Google Earth. Put in the starting address & ending address and let Google give you your route. Once its laid out for you, you can zoom in and print closeup pictures of the turns, mergers, off ramps, etc. Google can also give the attractions along the way for breaks.

Have fun & drive safe.

Upvote 0

Tweedle Adie

Have a considered flying out of a different airport? Southwest flies out of Philadelphia and Spirit Flies out of Atlantic City, both of which have $99 one way specials...

If you are driving and do not have a DVD player check the public library for books on tape, if you pick a story that is good for both the kids and the parents such as Harrry Potter (depending on the age of the children) it can keep you all entertained.

Upvote 0

pescador1f

try it!

i have done it 3 times in less than 2 years from bergen county, it is an experience. i always leave on saturday morning(more or less) and stop near the SC & GA border around midnight, sleep til around 7 a.m. and finish up the drive sunday morning.usually arrive at the hotel(POP) by 2 p.m. have fun

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
All very good ideas, thinking on some of them I see the pro's and con's. My wife has seen most of the posts and when we see each other later this evening we'll begin to look at the options that we have. Thanks again

Upvote 0

AEfx

I live within a few hours of you, and late last year I began driving instead of flying to WDW (I'm an AP holder and go down about every 2 months).

What put me over the edge was all the new security stuff re: liquids, but that's just what finished my decision. There are so many pro's I have found, and I never realized how much I missed haveing my own vehicle at WDW and not being "trapped" at WDW for an entire week. I love WDW, but it is so nice to be able to go to a real store and just buy Diet Pepsi, LOL.

It also was a time thing; on the last trip I took a plane I counted something like 10 hours from the time I had to catch the bus to get back to the resort, get the Magical Express (they make you go three hours early, and now will not let you change it - though they used to), go through the crap at the airport, fly, get off plane, and then drive home (I also live about an hour from the airport). I can drive it in about 20, or twice the time. I happen to enjoy driving, so those 20 hours are much happier than the stressful 10 taking air travel.

A couple of years ago, when I was getting $40-$50 each way airfare, it was worth it. Now that it's twice that, even with gas prices the way they are I just break even if I drive alone, and obviously save if I have passengers. I also drive at night when there is little traffic, and the ride is usually very pleasant.

Good luck whatever you decide!

AEfx

Edit : Re a GPS - you don't need it. Get on I-95, go south. You will end up in FL eventually. Cut over on 4 once you get to central FL and presto, you are at WDW. Depending on where in NJ, you are talking 16-17 hours (check Mapquest).

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
We live in Middlesex county, about 3o minutes from Newark, we are going to look into Atlantic City and maybe Allentown PA. If it doesn't look any better we may need to get a small lottery win to get on an airplane.

Upvote 0

lifeguard1020

I Drive Every Time...

I've dirven all but one of the 35? trips that I have taken to WDW. (The one I flew was for a convention.) From just south of Chicago it is about 18.5 19 hours straight through. I enjoy the drive, and there is nothing like the luxury of being able to pack "whatever" you want to bring. I also appreciate not having to rent a car once i have arrived. I leave my house, fill up twice, and get out at the resort lobby. I really can't weigh the negatives of driving against the negatives of flying and not pick driving every time.

Dan

Upvote 0

KYfriedPanda

I couldn't agree more with Aefx... I love the drive, which I've done multiple times from NYC in 18 hours (we drive pretty quick), and the hassle involved with flying far outweighs the hassle involved with driving for me. Besides, road games are awesome :)

Upvote 0

Abbyjoe

We drive from VA. We have left in the late afternoon, to skip traffic, but even with 2 drivers we were pooped out in Georgia and had to stop for the night. Last year we left @ 4:30 am, and stopped several times on the way, drive thru b'fast and sit down lunch and dinner and ofcourse gas. We arrived in orlando at 8:30 stayed at a Holiday Inn. Then checked in at POR in the morning, well rested and ready for the day. We decided we will do that from now on. The children 4 & 12 did really well both times, just we parents did better with the daytime driving...:animwink:

Upvote 0

dragonfox98

Hey, there! Everyone else had some pretty good suggestions, but let me add my two cents. Rethink the flying. Where did you get your quote? That's outrageous!!!! I am taking my family of four down in October. I searched Airtran, Southwest and Spirit. I decided on Spirit out of AC. I am flying out for $79 each way - $700 total.

Consider what the poster before me said in that tolls and such will only add to your computed driving costs.

If you want some info, incuding some ways to save on airfare by receiving emails from the airlines, send me a quick email - I will be more than happy to help a fellow Jerseyan - even if you are from the North! LOL

Give it some thought.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

The only reason you would need a GPS on this trip is to get infor a places to eat or get gas. But there are always sings to tell you when to stop. I think everyone needs to make the drive down there at least once. As a kid doing that many a times with my parents i always have fond memories of the stops we make along the way. Even if it was Mcdonalds for a Happy meal and toy.

Upvote 0

YankeesFan

I've driven from the New Haven CT area several times and I think the longest it's taken me was about 18-19 hours. (I tend to be a little accelerator happy). Once I'm past NYC, it's quite the enjoyable drive. Someone mentioned the fun billboards......not to get off subject but whatever happened to these billboards? The first time I drove down back in the mid
90's, I can remember seeing South Of The Border/Pedro signs way up in Delaware and then periodically down I95 until you reached SC. As of last year, they only pop up once you hit the middle of North Carolina. As corny as the signs were, they were always good for a chuckle.

Upvote 0

Gorjus

You obviously really want to fly and that is understandable. So concentrate on getting better deals.

However, when comparing times/costs, factor in everything.

Do the time door to door for both flying and driving. It may only be a 3 hour flight, but factor in leaving the house, checking in, security, waiting, bus transportaion, car rental, etc.

Do ALL the costs; all the food, gas, tolls, wear and tear, etc. of driving vs. airfare, food, car rental, bus transportion, etc.

Best thing about flying: you can sleep.
Best thing about driving: you can pack anything you want and you don't need to rent a car.

If it ends up being a driving trip, approach it as a fun adventure. Tell the kids all the cool things you are going to do while driving and all the cool things they'll see that they don't normally. Make it fun.

Upvote 0

MickeyTigg

Ok, as much as I hate to admit it, because of current airfare we may end up breaking down and driving to WDW from NJ. :( My problem is, I've always been a staunch flyer.

I was like you until last year when I had to take my oldest to WDW for the CP. Because of the need to take "cargo" we drove. This past February we went as a family and for the 1st time drove. Having a car and it being your own car is great. Your flexibility is much improved and you can get to anywhere on property in about 20 minutes...and no waiting for buses.

We drove from Wisconsin and got to southern Georgia the first day and we had a 5-6 hour drive to WDW from there. I would suggest leaving as early as possible the day you leave and get as far as you can, then stop. You don't want to get to WDW exhausted.

Upvote 0

Glen Quagmire

ok if you are going to drive let me offer these suggestions. We did it 8 times from Philadelphia and it isnt too bad. I personally would leave as early as possible on a Sunday morning. I'm talking 4:00 a.m. or 4:30. That way you beet the DC traffic. We would more or less take our time stopping for a nice sit down lunch in South Carolina. By around 6:00pm we would get to Jacksonville Florida. Now here is where your options come in. We chose to stay in a cheap motel over night for about $70 then wake up around 9 or 10, drive 2 hours or so to Disney World and arive just a little before check in. If you want to tough it out and get there in one day you should be able to get in by 9 0r 10 pm. I think the 2 day trip makes sense because your not killing yourself and you dont have a wasted day coming in so late. We used to do it in about 16 and 1/2 hours driving time, its not too bad just pack some drinks and some healthy snacks(trust me 16 hours of candy and potato chips will make you feel terrible). Oh and another thing, if you can drive without the ac on as much as possible. This will help your gas milage and go allot easeir on your car. If you have any questions just let me know, I consider myself an expert.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

The tolls really aren't bad- once you get past the Baltimore Tunnel- they're done. If you use the NJ Turnpike- there's a toll. If not- $0
The Del Mem Brdge, another toll in Del and Maryland, the Tunnel and that's it- maybe $10. (Some tolls are only Southbound.....)

It's not bad- nothing from VA on down to FL.........

Upvote 0

SnowFire

We drove for the first time this past summer and will probably do it again. There were 5 of us including kids age 11, 7 and 2. We left eastern PA on a Friday evening and arrived at a friends house west of Atlanta on Saturday morning. We stayed overnight, had lunch with the friend Sunday on Sunday and arrived at Disney Sunday night. The stop outside Atlanta added a good chunk of time to our trip, but we got to see someone that we hadn't seen in a long time.

As far as keeping the kids entertained, as has been mentioned DVDs are a great help. Our kids also each had a bag of surprises for the trip. We had them only take one thing out at a time so that they had surprises througout the trip. Some suggestions include: snacks, coloring books, travel toys/games (Travel sized etch-a-sketchs are great).

GPS: While I agree that you really don't need one, I already had one and was glad I had it with me. I set mine to display time to destination and distance to next turn so that I never missed a turn and could say "look, only x more hours till we're there."

There really isn't a right or wrong answer on this question. It depends on you and your family. I happen to love driving (usually) and enjoy the freedom of travelling when/where I want to.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom