Not sure if we should drive

Craig & Lisa

Ok, as much as I hate to admit it, because of current airfare we may end up breaking down and driving to WDW from NJ. :( My problem is, I've always been a staunch flyer. Did not ever want to drive, but considering that at this point flying will cost at least 1000 for 4, and may even go up farther if we keep holding out for a online special. At this point I see us spending somewhere around 600 for gas at most. There's no way we would pay that much out of newark for plane fare. The furthest I've ever driven south has been Va., and that was for my honeymoon, almost 18 years ago. I have driven to Kansas and Oklahoma since then, but we stopped over for rest, but I really want to spend as much time as possible in WDW, so the only stops would be for food and bathroom breaks. Question, how long from north central NJ to WDW with no overnights? I may also break down and get a GPS for the truck too to help. The best way to spend as little as possible so we can get the DDP with what we save. Our ressie's will be going from the 30th of June to the 7th of july, and we would leave late afternoon on the 29th. And on a side note, what are the fireworks shows like for the 4th? Thanks.

jesserin

How many kids are going? Before I'd invest in a GPS - I'd invest in a DVD player for the car. LOL Honestly. Getting to Disney isn't tough - it's pretty much a straight shot once you get to 95. Getting their with your sanity, especially with kids in tow would require an investment of the entertainment sort. :lol:

I live in S.C. so I'm afraid I'm not much help on the distance - but I grew up in Ohio and it took us on average 22 hours to drive. But there were 4 small kids in that car and I'd say there were at least 6 or 8 potty breaks.

The 4th of July fireworks are pretty spectacular, but in all honesty - any disney show has fantastic fireworks compared to almost anywhere else. LOL So it's a win win no matter what park you choose.

And lastly... depending on what type of car you have - you probably won't spend quite $600 in gas.

We just did a round trip (6 1/2 hours each way) for less than $80. (One fill up on the way down and one on the way back) But we also have a small SUV that's pretty good on gas.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
We have 2 boys, 13 and 11. We already have the DVD player, I might invest in another one so there are no arguments. The gas I'm sure would be that much the way it's rising, ( it's a 22 gallon tank :eek: ). It runs pretty good for a kia serento. Would have to get one good tuneup though. Alot of gas additive, oil additive too. And take all unnessary garbage out. I would not drive the whole way myself. That would be the dumpest thing ever.

Upvote 0

jesserin

We have 2 boys, 13 and 11. We already have the DVD player, I might invest in another one so there are no arguments. The gas I'm sure would be that much the way it's rising, ( it's a 22 gallon tank :eek: ). It runs pretty good for a kia serento. Would have to get one good tuneup though. Alot of gas additive, oil additive too. And take all unnessary garbage out. I would not drive the whole way myself. That would be the dumpest thing ever.

Definately go for the second DVD then... I picked one up in a pinch on Friday for $80 at walmart. Can't beat that. Traveled great - my toddler watched veggie tales the whole way down and back.

Speaking of - invest in headphones too. ;)

And yes... I agree. That would be ridiculous to drive that whole way yourself. I always take the early morning shifts as DH tends to get sleepy on the road - and he takes the afternoon shifts so I can nap when the baby does. It works for us. :)

Whatever you choose - good luck! I hope y'all have a fantastic trip!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Two words: Auto Train.

I'm going in June and looked at the Amtrak train. It leaves Lorton VA in the afternoon, you get dinner, a recliner chair or a sleeper room and breakfast the next morning and arrive in Sanford FL at 0930 refreshed and ready to take on the World.

For DS12 and I it cost just under $375US for First Class [the room instead of coach seats].

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

We live in central NJ. Driving more or less straight through, stopping for meals and occasional rest breaks, takes about 20 hours for us (granted, I'm no speed demon).

We have sirius in the car and that helps a lot. Even with little kids in the car (no Stern for you!) there are family friendly comedy networks and old time radio programs that are fun to listen to.

First time we drove, we actually drove back from WDW. We flew to WDW, had a rental car, and there was a hurricane coming before our flight back. They pre-emptively closed the airport AND the parks, so about 18 hours before the hurricane was to hit the coast, we just took the rental car and drive back. Alamo Rentals was cool about it, understood why we were doing it, allowed us to return it to Philly airport (where we got picked up by the now-in-laws) and even refunded us almost 100 dollars and didn't surcharge us for not refilling the tank (got to Philly so late, no stations were open, only charged us to actually fill the tank). Since then, we decided the drive's not so bad.

If you're thinking about driving in one straight shot, I'd recommend, if at all possible, starting in the early evening. The worst of the traffic is around DC, so if you leave NJ around 7, you'll hit that area around 11 or 12, which isn't so bad. It would get you into WDW about the time you can check in anyway. Check in, take a nap while the kids are poolside, and get an early start for the parks the next day.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

Gas is averaging $3 here in Otown, just in case that helps.

I'd fly. Let someone else do the driving.

Look into taking the train. I have heard that it's quite enjoyable down the east coast once out of Jersey! :ROFLOL:

Keep holding out for Southwest to have a DING special!!!!

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Craig and Lisa,

Have you considered just doing a low-ball Priceline bid for your airfare? I know the times might not be great, but you're on a vacation for a week, and it'd sure beat driving the whole way.

If you bid pretty low - what have you got to lose?

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

For the difference of $400 that you're quoting between air fare and gas - I'd fly. I'd much rather arrive fresh after a 2 - 3 hour flight than consider driving for goodness knows how many hours.
Consider this - if the outbound journey is tiresome or troublesome then you are going to spoil the last few days of your vacation worrying about your return journey.
What price peace of mind ??

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
The problem here is there are alot of good suggestions. But the money is much to be considered. $400 dollars more to fly means the difference between having the DDP or not. The autotrain seems interesting though, driving also seems to give it a different look ( LOL sorry ). Even though I want to spend as much time in WDW as possible I also don't want to give up one of my sons to save money. We love the DDP, which alone is a main concern to save the money, which you do 2 ways. You don't have to starve yourself just so you can eat while your there. The issue is the best and least expensive way that keeps us from going crazy before we get there. This has become more difficult than I thought it would be. Continued suggestions will be greatly waited for.

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

I drove from Toms River in 2 cars with 4 kids, one of which was my son, 3 and autistic. We brought the DVD and thank god we did. Life saver! We left at 3 am. The kids slpet until about 7 am and we had a few breakfast items in the car. They snacked on those until we ate a real breakfast in Fredricksburg, VA about 8:30 am. Watched about 2 movies, then lunch. Stretched legs and back on the road. 1 movie and then naptime. All in all, he did great. We filled up about three times for the whole trip. We drove stright through and got there about 9 pm. If you do drive through, I would suggest you stop off in Daytona for a late snack. I4 is the absolute LONGEST part of the drive. It gave the kids a break from the road, mommy got a cup of coffee and we were set. Also, try to find a fast food joint with a playground. This way they can get some of that energy out. If you want to know more, email me. We have done it every time and again this November. Have a great trip regardless.

Upvote 0

DoleWhip

In 2 weeks we will be driving down from MA with our 2 boys, 6 and 4. It will be our 3rd time in 3 years. The first time I was terrified that the kids would't handle it so well, but we left around 6pm, drove through the night while the boys were asleep, and arrived around 3pm or so at WDW. Going straight through to get there isn't so bad--you are so excited! I have trouble sleeping in a car, so I will drive during the night while DH sleeps, then he will take over when I can't stay awake any longer. The ride home we are staying over in NC/VA area--we will be too tired after such a long week to drive straight through. Last year we did the Auto Train, and it's quite expensive--over $1000 for 4 of us with minivan and family bedroom--and that was just one way. We have friends who do drive from Central NJ and it takes them about 16 hours overnight, and coming home they just leave very early and do it all in one day.

DVD for the kids is a must, and I bring along a book on CD to listen to overnight while everyone else is asleep.

It's not too bad, or I wouldn't be doing it for the third time with two little ones! Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

We're frequent drivers to WDW.(from outside of Philly) We rarely fly. It takes us anywhere from 18-20 hours to get there depending on traffic/construction/accidents - or whether we bring the dog. We have three drivers- so one is always up with the driver- while one sleeps. We've got a little system going- it works for us! The other posting suggesting you leave while they're sleeping is the way to go! Between that and the DVD players- you can't lose! Whatever you choose- have a great trip! (BTW- skip the $400 GPS and buy a $10 road atlas- you'll be fine! It's a straight shoot down I-95 to I-4 in Daytona)

BTW- we'll be there while you're there! I've been dying to see the fireworks on the 4th! I hear they're spectacular. (I also hear they do the same show at MK on the 3rd and 4th)

Upvote 0

beefog

Well if you think its going to cost $600 for gas another $150 for food and tolls. ANd then if you are going to Buy a GPS for your truck you are over $1000. Plus you are going to be miserable the first couple of days to catch up on some sleep. There are five airports that are close to NJ. Newark, JFK, Laguardia, Philly and Allentown. If you want to save some money look into flying to West Palm or Daytona from one of these airports/ Alittle more driving but definitly worth the little bit of a drive to get on a plane & to get to WDW still sain.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Oh, yeah, if you know how to get to I-95, you really don't need a GPS. 95s to 4w to wdw.

For people claiming that the savings aren't worth the drive, also factor in that some people want or need their own transportation. If flying means needing to rent a car, that's an extra couple hundred bucks too.

Upvote 0

scubaguy

We've flown several times and driven several times from Ohio. I can't see us ever making the drive again, when it's just so much easier and faster to fly. After a 17-18 hour drive, we were always wiped out, and the drive home always seems twice as long as the drive to get there.

I guess one thing to ask yourself is if you need or want your car once you get there. If you do, that's another thing to consider.

As far as cost, so many people only consider what they spend on gas, but let's face it, when you factor in all the depreciation, wear & tear, tolls, maintenance and everything else involved in driving a car, the true cost is a lot higher than you first think. Heck, even the IRS says it costs 44.5 cents a mile to operate a car!

I will echo other peoples thoughts on the GPS, you don't need one. Disney World is really easy to find. Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.

We'll be there again in 3 weeks . . . can't wait!

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

The problem here is there are alot of good suggestions. But the money is much to be considered. $400 dollars more to fly means the difference between having the DDP or not. The autotrain seems interesting though, driving also seems to give it a different look ( LOL sorry ). Even though I want to spend as much time in WDW as possible I also don't want to give up one of my sons to save money. We love the DDP, which alone is a main concern to save the money, which you do 2 ways. You don't have to starve yourself just so you can eat while your there. The issue is the best and least expensive way that keeps us from going crazy before we get there. This has become more difficult than I thought it would be. Continued suggestions will be greatly waited for.

Have you ever used a discount code for a room discount? If not, watch for one for the time that you are going. My sister saved 450.00 per night on one room at Pop for a week. I saved 650.00 on two rooms. This helped us so much toward the dining plan. It could save you too so that you could fly. :)

When we lived in Raleigh, NC we drove 10 hours with no problem. When we were in Lexington, KY we broke it up by staying with family in AL on the way down & Atlanta on the way back. Now we are only 8 hours away so we drive to cut down the cost plus we love having our car there.

I hope that you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

Driving is not that bad. I have done it several times, but without kids. I always leave Early evening around 7ish. I usually get there between 12-2pm. It all depends on Traffic. You have to figure it will take between 16-24 hours depending on traffic and how many times you stop.

My co-worker left from Trenton and did it 16 hours and had 3 kids. The DVD player did wonders.

Upvote 0

Philo

$600 in gas plus all your food, drink + GPS or DVD is going to set you back more than $1000.

20hours is a long-long time to drive. I would consider it for the trip there but no way for the trip back (which I guess means you couldn't drive there). After a week in the parks you will be pretty wiped out and there is nothing worse than that looming feeling of "I've got to drive home", especially if its that far. Coming from the UK I find it hard to appreciate just how far your going. If I drove for 20 hours I would have run out of land pretty quickly!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom