Not Impressed with Pandora

Chef Mickey

I have never understood where the expectation of more then 2 rides in a new land comes from. Look at the opening day attraction list for Magic Kingdom. Adventureland had one ride, Fontierland one if you count the canoes, Tomorrowland three if you count the skyway and Flight to the Moon. Look at AK today, Africa has one, Asia two. Look at the recent new lands, Cars Land three (two of which are small flat rides), Toy Story Land two, going over to universal, Hogsmede one new and two re-themes, Diagon Alley two if you count the train.
Agreed, but what are the chances of a Pandora expansion in the near future? I feel like if Disney doesn't do it now while under construction, it just never happens. They are more likely to close and replace attractions than purely add something. That's why lands like Toy Story Land are considered by some to be dead on arrival, unfair maybe, but perhaps more ambition is needed. TSL is an expansion, spinner, and kiddie coaster. Mickey ride killed a favorite in GRM. GotG killed a ride needing help, but was completely scrapped and replaced.

What is the latest ride built purely for expansion, not replacement of others? Tron is the only purely new attraction, New Fantasyland was new, but we lost Snow White to get 7DMT. Even Star Wars will replace old areas. Sure, it's welcome to get new attractions, but they aren't expanding anything. I believe the new model is to try 2 attractions and see what happens.

I know it can't all be in one run, but this is a new era of management. You pretty much get what you get until there are massive widespread changes announced. It's been a while since we've seen an announcement of a new ride in an existing land.

I do love Pandora but adding 2 more attractions wouldn't have hurt, particularly since NRJ is somewhat forgettable.

Spike-in-Berlin

I haven't been to Pandora yet and while I avoid all videos from FoP, because I don't want any spoilers I watched some on YT about NRJ, after I read how disappointing and underwhelming it was called by many. And BOY, they are so correct. When I read about this attraction first I envisioned some E-ticket scale ride, that brings you into the wildlife and jungle of Pandora. You start in the human camp and after a first small glimpse into the jungle you take the wrong arm of the river, pass a warning sign and down you go to a deeper level, like in PotC Then after the first drop you are deeper in the jungle and see the benevolent side of it, animal and plant life that doesn't pose any threats - yet. You leave the smaller rooms of the ride and enter a larger hall and here you encounter the malevolent side of Pandora, huge predators that fight against each other, you see magnificent and huge AAs of the newest generation and then one of the predators turns towards us, begins to hunt us and we try to flee, get deeper and deeper into the jungle, another drop brings us into the darkest areas, where we face the predator in a dramatic climax - to be saved by Navi warriors. The ride finally goes through some Navi village and back to the human base. Huge halls, not small corridor-like sections where only screens try to counterfeit depth that is not really there, lotsa AAs not ONE. A story, not some mere going with the flow...where? Who cares. And a ride that at least is as long as PotC or Splash.
Instead we got Navi River Journey. And after all I saw, it's not even a strong C-Ticket.

Last edited:

bclane

I haven't been to Pandora yet and while I avoid all videos from FoP, because I don't want any spoilers I watched some on YT about NRJ, after I read how disappointing and underwhelming it was called by many. And BOY, they are so correct. When I read about this attraction first I envisioned some E-ticket scale ride, that brings you into the wildlife and jungle of Pandora. You start in the human camp and after a first small glimpse into the jungle you take the wrong arm of the river, pass a warning sign and down you go to a deeper level, like in PotC Then after the first drop you are deeper in the jungle and see the benevolent side of it, animal and plant life that don't pose any threats - yet. You leave the smaller rooms of the ride and enter a larger hall and here you encounter the malevolent side of Pandora, huge predators that fight against each other, you see magnificent and huge AAs of the newest generation and then one of the predators turns towards us, begins to hunt us and we try to flee, get deeper and deeper into the junge, another drop brings us into the darkest areas, where we face the predator in dramatic climax - to be saved by Navi warriors. The ride finally goes thtrough some Navi village and back to the human base. Huge halls, not small corridor-like sections where only screens try to counterfeit depth that is not really there, lotsa AAs not ONE. A story, not some mere going with the flow...where? Who cares. And a ride that at least is as long as PotC or Splash.
Instead we got Navi. And after all I saw, it's not even a strong C-Ticket.
Wow that would have been amazing!!! Woulda coulda shoulda I guess.

JimW

Premium Member
I haven't been to Pandora yet and while I avoid all videos from FoP, because I don't want any spoilers I watched some on YT about NRJ, after I read how disappointing and underwhelming it was called by many. And BOY, they are so correct. When I read about this attraction first I envisioned some E-ticket scale ride, that brings you into the wildlife and jungle of Pandora. You start in the human camp and after a first small glimpse into the jungle you take the wrong arm of the river, pass a warning sign and down you go to a deeper level, like in PotC Then after the first drop you are deeper in the jungle and see the benevolent side of it, animal and plant life that don't pose any threats - yet. You leave the smaller rooms of the ride and enter a larger hall and here you encounter the malevolent side of Pandora, huge predators that fight against each other, you see magnificent and huge AAs of the newest generation and then one of the predators turns towards us, begins to hunt us and we try to flee, get deeper and deeper into the junge, another drop brings us into the darkest areas, where we face the predator in dramatic climax - to be saved by Navi warriors. The ride finally goes thtrough some Navi village and back to the human base. Huge halls, not small corridor-like sections where only screens try to counterfeit depth that is not really there, lotsa AAs not ONE. A story, not some mere going with the flow...where? Who cares. And a ride that at least is as long as PotC or Splash.
Instead we got Navi. And after all I saw, it's not even a strong C-Ticket.
I'm not here to argue the merits of the ride... however...

You decided to watch videos of a ride you've never been on, then completely trashed it because it didn't fit a fan-fiction ride you completely made up on your own?

When I first read about the haunted mansion, I expected to be transported to the Playboy Mansion where Hugh Hefner introduced me to half-naked ghouls in the grotto, followed by...

Spike-in-Berlin

I'm not here to argue the merits of the ride... however...

You decided to watch videos of a ride you've never been on, then completely trashed it because it didn't fit a fan-fiction ride you completely made up on your own?

When I first read about the haunted mansion, I expected to be transported to the Playboy Mansion where Hugh Hefner introduced me to half-naked ghouls in the grotto, followed by...

Well at least I didn't insult any one because he had a different opinion. I just said what came to my mind when I read about this planned ride for the first time, exactly these images, a deep extrasolar jungle, lots of beautiful and hostile alien life, a LONG ride, with many different scenes, a storyline, at least some action, very elaborate design instead of lots of screens, some feeling of adventure etc. etc. That's what I originally expected, but I should have known better. I didn't make it up completely either, it was an instant mixture of elements from three existing rides, JttCotE, Dinosaur and PotC. And I don't think you need to actually do this ride to see how underwhelming lame it is, compared to former WDI standards. Of course there are enough people today who are not that demanding, they even consider a cheap carnival expansion like all those Toy Story Lands a great asset. Have a magical day.

Chef Mickey

I was underwhelmed as well to be honest. Navi River Journey had no story. It was quite boring to be honest.

FoP I had issues with just myself. I HATED the restraints. Absolutely hated having my legs confined. I ended up very motion sick. The only other WDW ride that makes me motion sick is Astro Orbitor. I have no issues on Star Tours, so I was surprised.

I also fail to see why they built an entire land and only put in two rides. Kind of silly.
Star Tours is a baby version of FoP
I haven't been to Pandora yet and while I avoid all videos from FoP, because I don't want any spoilers I watched some on YT about NRJ, after I read how disappointing and underwhelming it was called by many. And BOY, they are so correct. When I read about this attraction first I envisioned some E-ticket scale ride, that brings you into the wildlife and jungle of Pandora. You start in the human camp and after a first small glimpse into the jungle you take the wrong arm of the river, pass a warning sign and down you go to a deeper level, like in PotC Then after the first drop you are deeper in the jungle and see the benevolent side of it, animal and plant life that doesn't pose any threats - yet. You leave the smaller rooms of the ride and enter a larger hall and here you encounter the malevolent side of Pandora, huge predators that fight against each other, you see magnificent and huge AAs of the newest generation and then one of the predators turns towards us, begins to hunt us and we try to flee, get deeper and deeper into the jungle, another drop brings us into the darkest areas, where we face the predator in a dramatic climax - to be saved by Navi warriors. The ride finally goes through some Navi village and back to the human base. Huge halls, not small corridor-like sections where only screens try to counterfeit depth that is not really there, lotsa AAs not ONE. A story, not some mere going with the flow...where? Who cares. And a ride that at least is as long as PotC or Splash.
Instead we got Navi River Journey. And after all I saw, it's not even a strong C-Ticket.
So you haven't even ridden it and have already agreed with the negative sentiment?

This is why I always say Disney can't please everyone.

disney4life2008

My only issue with pandora at night is the black lights made me sick. I was dizzy and had to leave the land.

The river ride is nice but only a fool would wait more than 15 minutes. I actually prefer living with the land.

I don't mind the land as it balances out the crowds on everything else. But it's hilarious watching people walk around with those silly banchees lol.

fractal

There must be another Pandora because the one I went to was incredible at night. Like nothing I've ever seen before.

_DSC1262-X2.jpg

_DSC1269-X2.jpg

_DSC1276-X2.jpg

_DSC1266-X2.jpg

As far as FoP being a clone of Soarin'; that's like saying Expedition Everest is a clone of Goofy's Barnstormer. Some similar design but completely different experience.

StarWarsGirl

Star Tours is a baby version of FoP
Probably why FofP made me motion sick but Star Tours doesn't. Love Star Tours and could ride it over and over and over again...

Ended up only going once. We gave up our AK FPs in favor of another MK day.

As far as immerssive lands go, I though Carsland was better done.

Raineman

I am still 2 months away from experiencing Pandora for the first time, but I have watched and read alot of the information that is out there, and it seems to me, initially at least, that the park guests who like Pandora are the ones that take it slow, take in their surroundings, and notice all the little details. It seems that the park commando types see Pandora as a two attraction land, with nothing else to offer. I am trying to temper my expectations for Pandora until I am actually there, because no one can make a full judgement about a land at WDW or its attractions until they have been there and experienced them-videos and pictures never tell the whole story and cannot fully convey the atmosphere of these places.

Chef Mickey

Lol a doctor of philosophy is not a degree in philosophy. Maybe you need more advanced education
Actually, I do fully understand that the Ph.D could be any field (I have several in my family), but assumed you meant actual philosophy since you didn't say otherwise.

I'll rephrase. I guess all that school made you think saying something twice makes it true.

Indulge me. In what field did you obtain a Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy)? See? I get it!

crxbrett

I just got back from my WDW trip and can safely say I was not blown away by Pandora, but certain aspects were pretty impressive. The lush landscape, waterfalls and huge rock formations were definitely awesome to see firsthand. I wanted to take photographs with my new DSLR every second I was there because there was so much beauty. It's pretty mesmerizing. This aspect of the area gets a major thumbs up from me. The ambience and environment you are thrown into while in Pandora is quite stunning from a visual standpoint for sure.

Flights of Passage - I was lucky enough to get on FOP with zero wait at rope drop my first day at AK and had a FP for it on my 2nd day. So I may not be as upset about FOP being disappointing since I literally waited 5 minutes both times I went on it. Now, I will say the 1st time on FoP was pretty darn cool. I don't want to get into details so I don't spoil anything for others, but it was pretty immersive and definitely has some very cool "Ooooh" and "Whoooo!" moments on the ride itself. I think the best way to describe FoP is Soarin' on steroids or a juiced up version of Soarin'. It's basically the same concept and idea except instead of sitting on a glider, you're sitting on a Banshee. Yes, it definitely has more thrills than Soarin' and the seating position makes you feel like you are more in-tune and involved with the experience. But it is essentially the same. Kudos to Disney and Cameron for all the details in the queue and surrounding area of Pandora. I do think Disney missed out on a golden opportunity to incorporate some sort of face scanning technology to spit out your Avatar and make it look like you while waiting in line and perhaps as you board on your Banshee. This would have made it pretty cool and it would have been fun to have seen that implemented in some fashion.

The River Journey - Quite simply, it's a huge disappointment. I can see this one being a 15-min wait on peak days in a few years. There is absolutely zero story and it just feels very pedestrian. It's beautiful to look at. But after you get off you are left feeling underwhelmed. I would never wait more than 20 minutes for the River Journey. I think if it had opened with more AAs and some kind of story and perhaps a mild drop like PotC has, it would have given me way more satisfaction riding it and I would want to ride it again. I couldn't help but feel tremendously let down by this one and I walked on with zero wait. As it stands now the way it is, I would never go on this again unless it's a 10 minute wait or less. I could see Disney maybe trying to improve this one in the next year or two.

Food. I think it's obvious the budget for Pandora had been all but spent by the time Disney planned the restaurant/food spots. What I would like to see is a nice sit down restaurant built into the side of a mountain overlooking the area and the waterfalls. I can only imagine how amazing that experience would be. This area seems ripe for getting a decent sit-down location. I think it would be immensely popular for dinners especially.

Nighttime - I was disappointed in how dark the area is at night. It was hard to see a lot of stuff and it felt like there should have been more black lights or something to help illuminate the walkways better. Also, the bioluminescent walkways looked like they were just smeared with glow-in-the-dark chalk. I was expecting lights to follow my footsteps or see twinkling lights shining through. Sort of like what is seen in Future World. Unless I missed an area that was different, the pathways' bioluminescence was not nearly as interesting or done as well as I had hoped for. The waterfalls and mountains at night were pretty breathtaking, though. I certainly felt the area was calming at night and can't wait to go back and visit once the crowds aren't as busy there. I could see Pandora being very peaceful at night with light crowds.

Overall, I would give Pandora a solid 7. It's certainly not without it's faults by any means. But I think it's a great addition to AK and it would be nice to see Disney expand it in the future with perhaps a full restaurant and maybe another C-ticket experience. Perhaps my expectations were too high? Quite possibly so.

disney4life2008

Actually, I do fully understand that the Ph.D could be any field (I have several in my family), but assumed you meant actual philosophy since you didn't say otherwise.

I'll rephrase. I guess all that school made you think saying something twice makes it true.

Indulge me. In what field did you obtain a Ph.D (Doctor of Philosophy)? See? I get it!

No problem. Higher education and sociology

Chef Mickey

I do think Disney missed out on a golden opportunity to incorporate some sort of face scanning technology to spit out your Avatar and make it look like you while waiting in line and perhaps as you board on your Banshee. This would have made it pretty cool and it would have been fun to have seen that implemented in some fashion.
I believe that will be implemented (and sold to guests) in the somewhat near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom